Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

blockbuster has changed pricing

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

blockbuster has changed pricing

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks all...that makes things easy...good job Blockbuster. Time for some Blu-Ray.
Old 09-12-07, 06:57 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A blockbuster card is good for all stores in the US.

However, this is only really true if you have your actual membership card or your rewards card.
If you have the same drivers license you used to sign up we can look you up in the national data base but if not you have to be set up with a whole new account.
Old 09-13-07, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, they needed my driver's license again, but pretty painless. I was able to rent 300 Blu-Ray, they had a small selection of BD, but a would say 80% were in-stock at least. Very random about the selection of what they own....mostly the mainstream stuff, but some less than stellar movies.
Old 09-14-07, 08:41 AM

I feel compelled to share my recent cancellation problems. I canceled recently due to the crazy insane price increases. Since I canceled, their service has been total crap. Here is a conversation I'm having with their support:

Me:
Since I have canceled, your service has noticeably changed for the worse. I paid for the month of 8/20 - 9/20, but I have yet to receive any movie during the month of September. I reported an incorrect dvd that was shipped on 8/30 and since then, nothing has been shipped to me. That's approximately 2 weeks of nothing being shipped. I'm telling you that my queue has been sitting here with 50 movies in it and they are not shipping the next movie.
Them:
Per our terms and conditions, we automatically stop all shipments approximately 10 days before your next bill date once your account has been canceled. This allows time for all outstanding DVDs to be returned to avoid charges. If you'd like to continue receiving shipments, you can reactivate your account by visiting the "My Account" section of our web site. If you choose to do this but still intend to cancel before being billed again, please make sure you cancel before September 22, 2007 to avoid being charged for your next month of service.
In other words, if you cancel, they will screw you over for 1/3 of your final month. (In my case however, they screwed me for 2/3)
Old 09-14-07, 11:42 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I think that's new for them.

Netflix stops sending you movies immediately upon cancellation, no matter how many days left in your paid month. Looks like Blockbuster followed their lead.
Old 09-14-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really hope they do not overtake Netflix. I will not support Blockbuster because of all their censorship over the years.
Old 09-14-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I finally got my e-mail from Blockbuster. The 4 at a time plan for $23.99 that I was on no longer exists. I decided to switch to the 3 at a time with no in-store returns for $16.99/month instead. I'd up my Netflix account by one disc to offset the loss but my Netflix service has been terrible lately.
Old 09-14-07, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i called BBO CS today to ask about why I was denied my 5 exchanges even though my next account date is on the 13th.

Here's the info I have:
the in-store exchanges reset at the beginning of every calendar month, not at the beginning of your plan.

you are only grandfathered into the old plan if you've been an exisiting, uninterrupted customer for over 1 year.

apparently, BBO does not offer refunds. I called to cancel my plan and asked for a refund of my month's service (I was charged on the 13th, today is the 14th) but the rep said their service is non-refundable. supposedly, its in their terms of service.

------
this is all new to me since I've gotten credits to my account before. i'm going to make sure I cancel on the 12th of next month.
Old 09-21-07, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We haven't had an update in a while so let me share my store.

I get an email stating they are changing plans & I need to pick a new one but they are not going to charge my credit card. I go to select my new plan and they did charge my credit card on 8/20, my billing date. I figure since they charged my credit card, in essence starting a new months contract, I would still have one month of 3 at home/unlimited in-store exchanges.

I get another email saying I need to pick a new plan so I go to the Blockbuster web site and select the 2 at home/unlimited in-store exchanges. The web site clearly says if you downgrade you will keep your current plan until your next billing date, which means I should have still been receiving 3 at home. After about a week of receiving only 2 at a time I email BB and they tell me since their is no more 3 at a time plan I am only going to receive 2 at home at a time.

So now I'm a little upset so the BB rep offers me 2 free weeks to make up for the mistake. I say okay and check my account to make sure the new billing date is 2 weeks later. It is so I figure everything is okay but then I get an email asking me to confirm my new plan (here's where it get tricky) even though the BB rep said he would take care of it. I confirm the new plan and my next billing date changes to 10/20 instead of 10/05, which it should have been. I should have written back then but I figured the BB rep had taken care of it.

Yesterday I get an email stating that BB tried to charge my credit card, 9/20 my old billing date, but it wouldn't go through. Someone had stolen my credit card number but thankfully Discover caught it right away and canceled my card. I figured I had until 10/20 to give BB my new credit card so I didn't contact them about the old card being canceled. So I email BB asking why they charged my credit card on what should have been the old billing date. I get an email response that my billing date is 10/20 and they hope that helps. Well I already knew that and to have someone in CS tell me what I can look up myself really doesn't help explain why they tried to charge my credit card on the old billing date.

So I end up calling & speaking to Sarah, who was very helpful & apologetic, but she tells me that when I followed their directions and confirmed the new plan it canceled the 2 free weeks that the BB rep had given me.

Now I don't know if they do this intentionally to try and rip people off hoping they won't catch the mistake or won't bother to call to complain if they do catch it or whether they just have really stupid people working for them who don't know how to do their jobs correctly. The fact that I keep receiving the wrong movies in the right envelope points to the latter but I tend to believe it is the first.

Bob

Last edited by JCWBobC; 09-21-07 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-05-07, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My plan finally switched over today with my 09/28 bill, sure was sad to see it go. With my blockbuster on the way home from work for returns, I was probably averaging 16 rentals a month with the $9.99 plan.

Will still probably stick around though - they have a decent HD-DVD stock and appear to be planning to carry future titles. My movies usually only have 1 day USPS time, so I can still get 8-10 a month for $10, which is a good deal.

No matter how you slice it, if you are renting any new releases, either of these companies is still cheaper and more convenient.
Old 10-05-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My membership just updated....I was on a PROMO $5 - 1 at a time for 2 months (w/coupon). They just updated me to the $10, but STILL unlimited trade ins and a coupon....yeah!