Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Recent Amazon Price Error: You'll be charged unless you return!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Recent Amazon Price Error: You'll be charged unless you return!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 09:11 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
What sorts of DVDs are we talking about here? I somehow missed this "deal".
Amazon's current BOGOF offer on Paramount TV boxsets, when first started, had a glitch that meant that the value of the lesser item in the cart was deducted twice.

Meaning two free boxsets if you "bought" two items of the same value.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=487583
Old 12-28-06, 09:12 PM

i dont think you would have a problem disputing the charge although
most CC will require you to send the item back and have tracking.
i think you could win easy with one order.
now if you did alot of orders i think even your CC will not back you.
just my thoughts no proof to back it up.
Old 12-28-06, 09:18 PM

Good luck Amazon. If you charge my Amex again, I will have them on you within an hour.
Old 12-28-06, 09:22 PM
Cool New Member

Can anyone point out the customer service email address please?

Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Go to the Help page, and on any help topic, on the right side are contact buttons

Also, someone pointed out, that on Amazons page, they will cancel your order, or contact you, if there is an error, but now that post is gone. Where exactly is this on the site?

EDIT: thanks

If an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation.

Last edited by stingermck; 12-28-06 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-28-06, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Go to the Help page, and on any help topic, on the right side are contact buttons

Also, someone pointed out, that on Amazons page, they will cancel your order, or contact you, if there is an error, but now that post is gone. Where exactly is this on the site?
Link
Second to the last paragraph.

ok, so i just got off the phone with CS. I was told that the email was "asking for authorization", which i didn't see anywhere. also, i was told that the "correct" amount was for the full price of the 2 dvds and that the SHIPPING was free for the promotion. obviously neither of those things were correct, and when i mentioned that to her she got very confused. i specifically said i DO NOT authorize the charge and will be contacting my credit card company. wow, just a ton of fun there. might call back later just to get someone else and see what they say.
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by stingermck

Confirming Prices

Items in your Shopping Cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on the item's product detail page. Please note that this price may differ from the price shown for the item when you first placed it in your cart. Placing an item in your cart does not reserve the price shown at that time. It is also possible that an item's price may decrease between the time you place it in your cart and the time you purchase it.

Some discounts are limited-time offers. Also, as the discount we are able to offer for any item is dependent upon its availability, Amazon.com's price will necessarily change on occasion.

With respect to items sold by Amazon.com, we cannot confirm the price of an item until you order; however, we do NOT charge your credit card until after your order has entered the shipping process. Despite our best efforts, a small number of the items in our catalog may be mispriced. If an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation.

Please note that this policy applies only to products sold and shipped by Amazon.com. Your purchases from third-party sellers using Amazon.com Payments are charged at the time you place your order, and third-party sellers may follow different policies in the event of a mispriced item.
Old 12-28-06, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by tdubel
I just called CS and they are calling me back, but they agreed that this is a mess and the gentleman I had on the phone was very nice and said he believed that they had opened up a big can of worms with their email. He also said that he very highly doubted I would be charged anything additional and that it was Amazon's fault with the pricing error. If they would have caught it prior to shipment, it would have been cancelled, but because they didn't and because I have receipts showing the pricing, I should be aok.

So I usually only lurk here, but wanted to post my experience and recommend others to call right away. Personally, I believe this is a scare email to try and recover some of the losses they have incurred.

I also called my cc company and was told that if additional charges showed, I just had to dispute them and it would be an automatic credit.

SO< I am not too worried on this one.

I just wrote 3 emails to CS regarding my 3 international orders,
asking about what to do and who is going to pay for the return
shipment (certainly not me:-) . I expect in case of international shipments
that they will just agree for them to be kept, otherwise the cost of returning them would be just to great.
Anyway, if they expect me to return the orders regardless of cost I will ask them for the money upfront or no return,
in case they still decide to charge my CC additional cost I will have the charge disputed.
I am willing to return the items but will not pay the cost, this is my response to this.

Warrior
Old 12-28-06, 09:31 PM

I don't really understand why anyone here is getting upset. Not one person who ordered really thought that you were supposed to get these for free. You ordered knowing it was an unintentional glitch on Amazon's part. No one actually thinks that Amazon did this intentionally so many people would order and they would charge you more later.

I understand the legality of the argument, but really why are you getting upset? You tried to take advantage of a situation and failed. I mean, just because you tried to get something for free, and it didn't work out, shouldn't mean Amazon should be expected to pay such a high price for a simple error.
Old 12-28-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Despite our best efforts, a small number of the items in our catalog may be mispriced. If an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation.
"Before shipping" NOT after an item has shipped. Big difference.
Old 12-28-06, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by BornAgainStar
I don't really understand why anyone here is getting upset. Not one person who ordered really thought that you were supposed to get these for free. You ordered knowing it was an unintentional glitch on Amazon's part. No one actually thinks that Amazon did this intentionally so many people would order and they would charge you more later.

I understand the legality of the argument, but really why are you getting upset? You tried to take advantage of a situation and failed. I mean, just because you tried to get something for free, and it didn't work out, shouldn't mean Amazon should be expected to pay such a high price for a simple error.

Not to be confrontational, but nobody has failed here, those of us who have the product in hand with receipts will assuredly win. It may take a little hassle, but honestly, quite amusingly fun to see a big corporation scamper over something like this.

This is the same situation as if you are in a store, they scan the item, it comes up as too cheap and they sell you the item. Glitches happen all the time, if it is not caught, then the company eats it. The same is true in life for people's mistake, when I make a mistake, I pay the price of said mistake.
Old 12-28-06, 09:41 PM

I understand the legality of the argument, but really why are you getting upset? You tried to take advantage of a situation and failed.
I wouldn't get upset at cancelled orders. But I'm wary about a company wanting to reverse a completed transaction.
Old 12-28-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mnementh
I wouldn't get upset at cancelled orders. But I'm wary about a company wanting to reverse a completed transaction.
Exactly. I'm leery of any deal at Amazon now, glitch or not.
Old 12-28-06, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No one actually thinks that Amazon did this intentionally so many people would order and they would charge you more later.
I'm fairly certain no one has suggested that that's what happened. So...

Why are we getting upset? Could it be because a company is threatening to charge our credit cards more than we agreed to after the items have arrived at our doors and some of us have already opened our packages, keeping us from being able to return the items? Could it be because it's almost definitely illegal and sets an incredibly dangerous precedent for future business transactions. Yes, it was a mistake on their part, but they still charged our cards the amount we agreed to and sent out the items. You may disagree with the morality of taking advantage of the deal, but that doesn't make their action legal or logical. This is more than just the "Child caught with his hand in the cookie jar" type of thing. This is a business defying all logical rules of transactions, trying to correct their mistake at the customer's monetary expense. Perhaps that's why we're upset.

Or perhaps not, I don't know.
Old 12-28-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Old 12-28-06, 09:52 PM

Don't forget to print an invoice if you plan on fighting this with your credit card company. The funny thing is, the invoices say "Final Details for order". That's kind of hard for them to challenge.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...&nodeId=468514
Old 12-28-06, 09:52 PM

I'm actually not the least bit upset or angry, because I know they'll never do what they're claiming. And if they do, no CC company will allow the charge. I'm just waiting for the apology email from Amazon, I'm guessing it'll be sent out by tomorrow afternoon.
Old 12-28-06, 09:54 PM

I dare someone to print out a return shipping label and send a lump of coal.
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I'm printing invoices now, just in case they mysteriously change details.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm wondering if Amazon might 'blacklist' people who took advantage of this mistake and refuse to return any DVDs. (I.e., cancel their accounts.) That might be within their rights to do. Then again, they'd be giving up all the future business, so probably they wouldn't.
Old 12-28-06, 09:56 PM
JMG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives."

Old 12-28-06, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by mnementh
I dare someone to print out a return shipping label and send a lump of coal.
I was thinking more along the lines of a box full of scrap iron and a picture of me giving them the bird.
Old 12-28-06, 09:59 PM
Cool New Member

In reguards to the invoices, will the confirmation email do or the shipping email be alright for the CC company if this does happen to all of us.

I did call and the CSR said that somebody from the marketing dept would contact me with in the next 24-48 hours. She did agree with me that it is wrong for them to try to charge us more than we agreed to pay.

I have dealt with Amazon for years and have never had a problem with their customer service. They have always been great to me in the past.
Old 12-28-06, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by i86time
I'm actually not the least bit upset or angry, because I know they'll never do what they're claiming. And if they do, no CC company will allow the charge. I'm just waiting for the apology email from Amazon, I'm guessing it'll be sent out by tomorrow afternoon.
Who is running Amazon during this holiday period!? Maybe when the real workers get back next week they will send the apology email out with a $5.00 credit coupon!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.