Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Dvdsoon: Warning No Refunds Made Now

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Dvdsoon: Warning No Refunds Made Now

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 05:29 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree you shouldn't place a $100 order just yet, especially if you aren't sure. They have a lot of cheap dvds under ca$10 so ordering 1 or 2 shouldn't be hazardous to your health.
Old 02-24-06, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by dvdbunny
I agree you shouldn't place a $100 order just yet, especially if you aren't sure. They have a lot of cheap dvds under ca$10 so ordering 1 or 2 shouldn't be hazardous to your health.
Consider the amount of people multiply by the amount of bad experience here, I think it's risky to make post like this. It's only going to make people associate you with the company. I also highly doubt that this is the kind of posts that will bring customers back to them. It does the exact opposite. Yeah... $20 bucks won't be hazardous to an individual but what about in a global kind of scale. Also tell me something, why exactly should people buy from them if there's a concern there(even you assume so) and why should people encourage this kind of bussiness conduct?
Old 02-24-06, 06:11 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by KKnight
Consider the amount of people multiply by the amount of bad experience here, I think it's risky to make post like this. It's only going to make people associate you with the company. I also highly doubt that this is the kind of posts that will bring customers back to them. It does the exact opposite. Yeah... $20 bucks won't be hazardous to an individual but what about in a global kind of scale. Also tell me something, why exactly should people buy from them if there's a concern there(even you assume so) and why should people encourage this kind of bussiness conduct?
I'm just speaking my mind. If anyone thinks less of me because of some presumed association with dvdsoon so be it. If the boat sinks, I'm in the boat as well. I'm just a bit more optimitic about things. I also just received an order.

With the $20 I just meant if you aren't sure you like the water but still can't resist it's still better to poke a toe in it than jumping in. It might be better still to stay out but there is nothing wrong with having the choice to do or don't.
Old 02-26-06, 01:18 AM

DVDSlow lied, cheated, and almost stoled from an old retiree...me! Even when I was attempting to get a "charge-back" on my bank credit card, they lied to my bank by telling the bank they (DVDSlow) had already redeposited (refunded) the original credit card charge back into my store account as available funds! I will never trust this outfit again, or anyone who shills for them, or anyone who does business with the name "DVDSoon." What I don't understand is why would anyone still use their name to re-start a business (after considering the world-wide negative reputation of their deplorable business practices). I would rather start a business with the name "DVDfor A$$holes.com" than use "DVDSoon."
Old 02-27-06, 10:59 PM

I've shared some of the pain and suffering of others here but I'm kinda with dvdbunny. I'm can't resist the low prices for some items. For me, it's like intentionally buying a poor quality item, knowing it could fall apart quickly but it could also last for a long time. If it falls apart quickly, I haven't lost much and on average, I'm likely ahead. I definitely saved more with them than I lost. That's probably flawed logic and not necessarily for everyone but it works for me.

I've made four orders since new management and so far, so good. They were all charged at the time of shipping. Three have arrived. The fourth was shipped today and I was only charged 50% for based on by the rebates I have so the new policy seems to have kicked in.

Unfortunately, I just got my credit card chargeback this week so if I order more stuff and use up my rebates, I'll have to deal with VISA again to return my chargeback!! Sheesh!
Old 03-01-06, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone else noticed DVDSoon now has a careers page!
Old 03-01-06, 09:30 PM

Yeah, I love this part...

Proficiency in the cinematographic field an asset.
Old 03-02-06, 10:38 AM

I've also given DVD Soon a second chance, they're just too cheap.

However, besides a sizable rebate ($400), they don't deduct 50% from CC-charge at time of shipment, but transfer the amount they should have deducted (usually about $10) from rebates to credits instead.

Sinde some of you have been charged less - do I need to do something in particular to get them to use the rebate/credit instead of charging my CC for the whole amount?
Old 03-02-06, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dystopia
, they're just too cheap.
No, they are NOT. At least not anymore.

I can't help but notice that the Majority of the posts here that favor them are from newbies and it looks to me that there's a deception being created very subtly that they still remain a very cheap online retailer, which they are not anymore.

If this is an act of the company, shame on you and just also prove what kind of company it really is. If not, I appologize to those new members who actually favor them.
Old 03-02-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

KKnight, you also have to remember a lot of people who bought from DVD Soon were not American (or even Canadian) .. so they were getting REALLY good deals for R1 disc's being shipped free to Europe/Asia etc... and because of that, they kind of tolerated their crap (and still might)....I guess all the e-tailers American and Canada have (and ease Canadians have buying from American e-tailers, even though you have to deal with customs shit) may have "spoiled" how some of us think and purchase..
Old 03-02-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KKnight
No, they are NOT. At least not anymore.

I can't help but notice that the Majority of the posts here that favor them are from newbies and it looks to me that there's a deception being created very subtly that they still remain a very cheap online retailer, which they are not anymore.

If this is an act of the company, shame on you and just also prove what kind of company it really is. If not, I appologize to those new members who actually favor them.
I bought a lot from the old DVD Soon and, fortunately, escaped unscathed when they started the real shenanigans. I have not been coaxed back because, even apart from the trust issue, I do not see their prices as being cheap.

If one is in the United States there are cheaper alternatives for every title I've checked on in the last few months.
Old 03-03-06, 02:03 AM

Pilot, you're 100% correct. For people like me living in Europe, DVD Soon is still cheap even if they don't allow me to use my rebate.

Since I visit the US a couple of times a year, I know that you're used to lower prices, but when living in Norway paying about CAD 24 for region 1 DVDs, incl P&P, is pretty cheap.
Old 03-03-06, 09:13 AM

I have orderd many DVDs last month from them, I liked the price and many weren't available elsewhere. I read that they charge when shipped. However now I saw that they already charged all my orders, without notifying me, and no word on whether they have them or not yet, just says pending, it used to say on order or on hand, not anymore, I sent 7 emails so far but no reply yet. It looks they changed policies now, they charge on order and we just wait, I don't think this is good business conduct. Now I paid for all DVDs and heaven knows when or if I am going to receive them..any advise on what to do...???
Old 03-03-06, 02:13 PM
Banned

Two Words:

Charge Back!
Old 03-04-06, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by beatleship
I have orderd many DVDs last month from them, I liked the price and many weren't available elsewhere. I read that they charge when shipped. However now I saw that they already charged all my orders, without notifying me, and no word on whether they have them or not yet, just says pending, it used to say on order or on hand, not anymore, I sent 7 emails so far but no reply yet. It looks they changed policies now, they charge on order and we just wait, I don't think this is good business conduct. Now I paid for all DVDs and heaven knows when or if I am going to receive them..any advise on what to do...???
DVDSoon still charges at the time of ordering. Even in the rare exception an item is actually in stock, it still takes them several days at the bare minimum to ship it. I have routinely had titles I've ordered not come into stock for several months at a time.

Since you just placed the order, I think at this point you'll just have to wait but I'd advise you against doing any business with them in the future as they have repeatedly proven themselves to be unethical and unreliable.
Old 03-04-06, 01:21 PM

One thing DVDImport seem to have retained from their old website is the claim to have nearly anything you care to name "In Stock"

I know from bitter experience that the old DVDImport's stock claims were fairy tales.

I looked at their new site for a bunch of Image Entertainment and ADV titles I'm having trouble getting hold of elesewhere, and low and behold! Every last one of them says "IN Stock".

I'm assuming this is just a "hook" to get people to place orders.

Of course, if folks are going to say "No, I got my stuff right away..."...

Maybe those advanced packing robots of theirs have gone on a rampage and pillaged their way across stores worldwide or something!
Old 03-05-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Anyone else noticed DVDSoon now has a careers page!
I don't think shilling can be called a "career." Unless you're self employed--then it's called ebay.

(Kidding. At least about the ebay part.)
Old 03-17-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just got this email from DVD Soon:

Dear Client,

Canadian Distribution Services has decided to offer compensation to all clients who had accumulated Fidelity iPoints under the previous administrator.

iPoints have been converted into rebates according to the following ratio: 1 point = $0.01 CAD. These rebates have been issued to your DVDSoon account.

Also, you will be automatically subscribed to our new membership card and obtain an additional 5% in rebates. For more details please consult your account

We would like to remind you that rebates are only applicable to the price of the the product at the time of shipment to a maximum of 50%.

If you would like further information please do contact us at [email protected]

Customer Service
Canadian Distribution Services
I now have a credit oops, rebate, of $21.21CAD. Since those points were almost worthless under the old program, it's a modest bonus but it's something. It's good they are doing something for their old customers. Probably they were not getting many of us back.

I will probably take a chance on ordering some small item now to use some of the credit and see if the additional 5% off shows up. I don't see anything on the site about a new Fidelity card yet.

EDIT: The Fidelity iCard info is now on the site.

Last edited by movielib; 03-18-06 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-19-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, I placed a very modest order: Dead Poets Society Special Edition (v.f.) which is only $9.98CAD compared to the American edition which is $15.98CAD. Also free shipping. I'll see what happens to my existing rebate and supposed 5% extra rebate. There's very little to lose if I have a problem.
Old 03-20-06, 09:04 PM
Cool New Member

Did they charge your credit card when you ordered?
Old 03-20-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Don M
Did they charge your credit card when you ordered?
Yes, apparently they have gone back to that. I never really minded that they charged at time of order as long as I got my DVDs. I always did (I know, I was one of the luckier ones).
Old 03-27-06, 04:25 AM

Credit Refund

For some reasons DVDsoon doesnt apply credits to new orders. They charge the full amount and I have no idea when the credit is suppose to be used. It says that the credit will be applied at the time of shipment, but this sounds strange when the full amount already has been withdrawn from the credit card. Therefore I asked for a refund, and the credits were removed from my account.

Im wondering if anyone actually have received a credit refund from dvdsoon????

Please let me know
Old 04-02-06, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by hibtone
Im wondering if anyone actually have received a credit refund from dvdsoon????
Yes. Took around four weeks but got full credit okay. Delivery times to New Zealand for DVD shipments are around 7 - 10 business days so pretty good for free intl shipping.