Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Dvdsoon: Warning No Refunds Made Now

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Dvdsoon: Warning No Refunds Made Now

Old 12-07-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Wow, so people with pending orders "luck" out, but those waiting for credits or refunds are out in the cold...
Old 12-07-05, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is really unfair. How can I place any order if I am not sure DVDSoon can ship the order?

Who-cannot-charge-back.
Old 12-07-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wow, so people with pending orders "luck" out, but those waiting for credits or refunds are out in the cold...
I'm not sure they lucked out.

Remember that DVDSoon switched to charging on shipment rather than charging at point of sale and cancelled all orders prior to that.

So now they're not going to honour store credit, that means that anyone with pending orders is going to have their credit card debited for the full amount, regardless of how much store credit they have.

I wonder if the "new company" that has aparently taken them over is just the old company with a different name. Nice way to shed all your debts if so. Does Canadian law permit that?
Old 12-07-05, 07:40 PM

I say we all "Go to the mattresses" and hit our credit card companies for chargebacks!
Old 12-07-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

figures. they get to screw me over one last time.

at least the credit was only about $15.
Old 12-07-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by agitprop
I say we all "Go to the mattresses" and hit our credit card companies for chargebacks!
You mean you haven't done this already?
Old 12-08-05, 05:31 AM
Cool New Member

SUFFER DVD SOON you deserve it!

Canada is dodgy, I won't be buying any dvds from Canada again. Happy I got my charge back processed, feel sorry for people suckered in by this company..

No wonder they kept delaying the refunds, happy I charged back.

www.deepdiscountdvd.com works well I'm sticking to USA for my Zone 1 orders.

Last edited by Sabretoothed; 12-08-05 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-08-05, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only ordered once from them and had no problem.
Old 12-08-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm ... how much confidence can you have in the business savy of someone taking over a company that has basically screwed its customer base?

If they were smart, and wanted to make a serious attempt at retaining customers, they could offer a plan for those with outstanding credits and/or refunds - say 10% or 15% off each order (taken from your money due) until your credit balance is used up. This would be a fair gesture to customes, and would not impose a huge financial burden on the new owners.
Old 12-08-05, 09:08 AM

ah DVDsoon - the first time ive had to chargeback something on my credit.....fond memories
Old 12-08-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabretoothed
Canada is dodgy, I won't be buying any dvds from Canada again.
Uhmm, We get it... Why do you keep repeating yourself?

'Canada' will sorely miss your business.

re: DVDSOON closing... Isn't it amazing how the announcement coincides with the time they told people to start expecting their refunds? Businesses are usually free from criminal charges if they file for bankruptcy, but had intended to fulfill orders they were taking, and services that were promised. In this case, it seems fairly obvious that they had never intended to return any of the money, and probably had the December date set for giving up the business. Could be potential for criminal charges, one would think... I know this is stating the obvious, but the point is that their previous statement of December timeframe for refunds probably puts the owners in a pretty nasty spot.

re: Marty888's point, how true. Why on earth would someone want to take over a business with such a bad name and current customer situation? All I can guess is that there are still a lot of people unaware of the issues that are still ordering through them. Still, you'd think that for all the headaches the new owner is going to have from the pissed off customers, that it'd be easier to just start up with a fresh name, and a clean slate.

Last edited by andicus; 12-08-05 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-08-05, 03:17 PM
Cool New Member

Because I emailed so many government agencies, and none replied. In Australia, if you email a consumer protection agency, they reply and they do something about it, Canadian authorities just don't care???

This is the first time I ever did a charge back, never needed to do it anywhere else before.

It was obvious they were going under, refusing to do the basic right of refund an order THAT THEY CANCELLED!
Old 12-08-05, 03:18 PM
Cool New Member

If you've lost money I would suggests a class action, probably won't help though since bankrucy would have no money left and the amounts are all small.

Just highlights how good Visa chargeback is!
Old 12-08-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

According to a French Canadian forum, the owner of DVDImport.com is apparently behind the new business that's taking over DVDSoon.
Old 12-08-05, 07:54 PM

Sabretoothed, please don't JUDGE the rest of Canada just because of your bad experience with DVDSOON. I have no idea WHO exactly you contacted within the "many government agencies" but again, all you had to do is contact your credit card company. You're just a small fish in a very big pond and that's why Visa or MasterCard is there to protect you. No one else. This issue isn't national security, it's a DVD. To be honest, I'm not surprised no one contacted you. Again, don't judge the rest of Canada based upon this one company ripping you off.

Caveat Emptor my friend

Christian
Old 12-09-05, 04:23 PM
Cool New Member

I've been to Canada, and its a great place, was there earlier this year on the way to Alaska. Don't worry I'll be coming back.

But I think I'm not going to buy online there, since I contacted all the government consumer websites. None seemed to do anything useful. Maybe the law is weak in online transactions.

Maybe I'll change my mind, but the consumer protection agencies seem to be pretty weak from what I've experienced.

Here are all the government agencies that didn't do anything.

Why I had to charge back, and that worked. In the end a US company VISA saved my money

---------------------------------------------------------------

This is in response to your enquiry below.

If the situation is unresolved, I would suggest that you contact the following:

1 - Federal Office of Consumer Affairs Help Desk: this is found under ''Consumer Information'' and ''Consumer Connection'' in Strategis at:

( http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/inter.../ca00056e.html )

Office Location

Office of Consumer Affairs

Industry Canada

255 Albert Street

10th Floor

Ottawa ON K1A 0H2

General Enquiries: (613) 952-1918

Fax : (613) 952-6927

E-mail: [email protected]

You will find links to a list of provincial government consumer agencies and other consumer contacts on this site at:

( http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/inter..._ca01138e.html )

Provincial government consumer contacts are posted at:

( http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/inter...a01506e.html#c )

2 - Better Business Bureau

at: http://www.bbb.org/

You may also wish to contact 'The Canadian Council of Better Business Bureaus' at:

http://www.canadiancouncilbbb.ca/

3 - Competition Bureau at:

( http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/i...temID=157&lg=e )

Tel: (819) 997-4282
Old 12-09-05, 04:50 PM

I personally was a frequent customer for a lengthly period of time. Items that I do not care when I received, I would often order from them since they have really decent prices. I think they should at least get some credit for being one of the cheapest place to shop provided people know what to expect. It however disgusts me how they handle their operations once things started going downhill.

These sure aren't signs of how a legit bussiness runs:

1. Misleading stock availabilities: resulting people ordering thinking items get shipped pretty soon only to find out once transaction is posted that items are on back order
2. Charges immediately and increditbly difficult refund procedures if one chooses once they find out they were misled by the availability.
3. Changing policies so frequently and use them to dispute in their advantage: extremely childish and fraudulent like
4. Created a refund procedure, which included extremely dubious clauses, that stated the refund commence date that happens to land on the time they issue a going under statement. I believe it's also just to deter people from doing a charge back with their credit card company to begin with.

So if a person comes along seeing an item in stock, orders it, gets charged right away, found out it's back ordered, waited only to get the order cancelled, wants a refund but can't.
... It's fraud, is it not?

With all this going on, I decided that it's a lesson learned but mostly due to that I did not lose much. As far as the email, I strongly suspect the email's only another smoking gun for people to just give up their disputes. It's like saying well, we've got some debts but we aren't responsible for them. "Canadian Distribution Services" sounds way too fishy and the whole email just makes me wonder the maturity of the brain behind the person that wrote it... on second thought... maybe there's none. It is extremely insulting and treats the consumers like dirt. I too wondered about the address provided and all names mentioned in the email. I don't believe a word in it.
Old 12-09-05, 04:57 PM
Cool New Member

I really can't see something like this happening in Australia in this manner. The way they communicate with emails is true, very childish or more sinister in motive.

I think misleading people about when they get refunds from dvd's that were not sent and pretending to be able to refund your credit card in the future and also fidelity unused portions is pretty bad. Also offering Canadian cheques instead of credit card refunds so that overseas people cannot get a refund shows Canada is not the place to shop for DVDs until companies like this are completely closed down.

If I see the government closing down this operation, I'll rebuy in Canada, but because it continues to trade I'm buying from USA now, I don't care that I have to pay a bit more its not worth the trouble anymore.

Here's a classic, I asked them if they were going under in October and this is their crazy message lol, new payment system designed not to pay anything lol?

Dear Sir;

My apologies if you did not receive the explanation regarding this from
our president in August. The refund system was created to help resolve
all credit issues from our previous payment system. As the new system
and the old one are not that same we do have to create a separate
compilation. I thank you for your comprehension.

------------------------------
Natasha Bonfield
Customer Service Center
Centre De Service à la Clientèle
DVDSoon.com
Old 12-09-05, 05:06 PM

Sabretoothed, my interests is not in making you buy again in Canada. I make no attempt in trying to convince people who have their stereotyping minds set especially one that likes to lump. I guess I am somewhat displeased about many of your comments which is the reason why I am making this post. I do however think that you can care less what I'll have to say here just as I can care less if you shop in Canada again.
Old 12-09-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have also been to Canada and it was a positive experience
Old 12-10-05, 07:51 AM

Just wondering if the whole dvdsoon situation got any press anywhere - in Canada particularly.

Luckily I jumped quickly with my mastercard chargeback - i saw the vultures looming! I had a lot of money in so called "credit" with them when the rot set in.

They contested the chargebacks, claiming that I had credits available etc, but i countered that by listing the conditions of using the credit.

Didn't hear anything after that.

Notice how dvdsoon hasn't actually gone under - just the company "managing" it, so in effect the new company "managing" it should be accountable for any credits etc, surely?
Old 12-10-05, 07:57 AM

I think the lesson I learned was to not have too many open orders with any one online company. That way if things go bad, you lose on a small scale and its no big deal The only exception would be Amazon.

No problems with Canadians, but if they are allowed to get away with what they have done without any punishment, then I might have a rethink!
Old 12-10-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To be honest, I think I'll stick with American companies. Especially after everything that's come of this mess. Fortuantely I didn't have to learn thru my pocketbook. I feel bad about the others that were not so fortunate.
Old 12-10-05, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sabretoothed
If you've lost money I would suggests a class action, probably won't help though since bankrucy would have no money left and the amounts are all small.

Just highlights how good Visa chargeback is!
I also used a Visa card in DVDSoon, but I couldn't get the chargeback. It seems, as the card-issuing bank told me, that it's the business between DVDSoon and I because I authorized the transaction. Somehow, laws are different in different countries. That sucks.

This is really unpleasant experience. I rather buy in Ebay.
Old 12-10-05, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by wildeny
I also used a Visa card in DVDSoon, but I couldn't get the chargeback. It seems, as the card-issuing bank told me, that it's the business between DVDSoon and I because I authorized the transaction. Somehow, laws are different in different countries. That sucks.

This is really unpleasant experience. I rather buy in Ebay.
My American bank suggested something similar to your experience. I immediately faxed the bank flunky and told her to either process the charge-back or I would close my credit card account and notify her superiors. The truth of the matter is that I would not use a bank credit card (in this case MasterCard) if I was not protected by the charge-back provision in cases of internet fraud. It is easier for a bank to recover the funds from internet thieves than for the individual to get this done. In your case, it is time to talk to someone higher in your bank's food chain to process the charge-back. If they refuse, then it is time to cancel this credit credit and take your business elsewhere. These credit card companies (and banks) make money from the vendor (4% - 8%) each time you use your card, and then they make more money from you in annual fees and interest charges on your unpaid balances each month. The least they can do for you (their customer) is to process a "legitimate" charge-back. I referenced this DVDTalk thread to my bank officials to substantiate/document my claim for a charge-back from the liars and thieves who operate DVDSlow.

Last edited by oldchuckles; 12-11-05 at 01:07 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.