Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Dvdsoon: Warning No Refunds Made Now

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Dvdsoon: Warning No Refunds Made Now

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-05, 02:51 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I paid with VISA and got a refund from my bank.

I sent them a few BS emails from DVDsoon in reply to why they wouldn't refund me the money for a product they didn't send me and I got a refund and that did the trick.
Old 12-16-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by oldchuckles
My American bank suggested something similar to your experience. I immediately faxed the bank flunky and told her to either process the charge-back or I would close my credit card account and notify her superiors.
Exactly. Tell them you want to close the account. They will "magically" change their minds. As much as those companies try and get new customers with their bulk mailers, they aren't about to let a customer go that easy.
Old 12-16-05, 11:47 AM
Banned

Has anyone been able to actually confirm if the "new" guys at DVDSoon is really just the old owners with a new name or not rather than just the speculation?
Old 12-16-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Heathen
Has anyone been able to actually confirm if the "new" guys at DVDSoon is really just the old owners with a new name or not rather than just the speculation?
Well, if you go to the DVDImport's website they do indeed say they are part of Canadian Distribution Services.

Also, some people who left their old orders pending have found that they've been charged the full amount (i.e. credit that was available at time of placing order has been ignored) and the despatch confirmation emails say that their credit card statement will show the charge coming from DVDImport.

Also, we have the posts made on a Quebec forum by the retailers concerned.

So far, the evidence leans towards them having been taken over by this CDS company.

However, the old staff still seem to be there as emails are signed off with their names, e.g. Veronique.
Old 12-16-05, 03:37 PM
Cool New Member

ahahah so whats the Canadanian consumer affairs doing about this "company"?

ZERO
Old 02-10-06, 06:48 PM

Just got this email:

Dear Customer,

As you are aware Canadian Distribution Services has taken over the
brand of DVDSoon.com. Over the past few weeks we have been evaluating
the overall condition of DVDSoon before its acquisition. We have taken
past debts into consideration and have decided to offer compensation.

Compensation has been issued to your account in form of rebate which is
only redeemable towards 50% of the cost of your products before shipping
costs with DVDSoon at the time of billing. As we have only acquired
the name of DVDSoon and are not responsible for the credits that were
incurred through 9086-8316 Québec Inc these rebates will not be refundable.

We understand that some of you may not be enlisted for our mailing list.
This e-mail is presently being sent as your account was impacted by
the recent changes. You will not be sent any further communications on
this account unless otherwise requested. If you have any further
questions or concerns please do contact us by email at [email protected].

However Canadian Distribution Services reserves the right to issue the rebates
in accounts at its own discretion. Every account that was in dispute before
December 7th, 2005 could not be compensated.

We thank you for your time.

Canadian Distribution Services,
Customer Service
So, has anyone tried to order from them lately? I really want to spend my credit and just forget about them, but I want to see if anyone's had any luck with them so I don't waste yet more money.
Old 02-10-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
This sounds like more crap. And I apologize if this really is just a new company taking over and trying to make up for something that wasn't their fault. But the terms seem to be:

1) If you were in dispute before December 7 (and really, by that point who wasn't feverishly trying to get their credit card to refund them), too bad, you get nothing
2) If you had credit with DVD Soon, too bad, that's gone
3) If you are eligible for the rebate, you still have to spend MORE money with us, and trust that we're a viable company again, since you can only use that rebate to make up 50% of your purchase.

At this point, unless that rebate is for a huge amount (which also brings with it the necessity to make an order for double the amount of that rebate), I'd just write it all off as a loss and never do business with them again. I mean, really, how many times are they going to rope people back in?
Old 02-11-06, 03:48 PM

i got the same email and im not sure it really makes much sense to me. They say a credit has been issued to my account but i definitely havent ordered anything before December 7th...
Old 02-11-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't you guys get burnt enough the first time around? I have no intention of ever placing another order with this mob and I recommend you all do the same. From the looks of things, the same management is probably still intact.
Old 02-13-06, 03:37 PM

I just logged in for the hell of it - and saw that you get a rebate of 3% on orders $100CAD or more. Rebate to be applied on your next order. Hot Damn, what a good deal..............
Old 02-15-06, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pookymeister
Rebate to be applied on your next order. Hot Damn, what a good deal..............
Hardly. A warning for anybody thinking about purchasing from DVDSoon again, they charge the full amount for the DVD order then give you your applicable rebate back in the form of credit which you in turn have to request be refunded back to you. These clowns have no idea what they are doing.
Old 02-15-06, 05:38 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Pookymeister
I just logged in for the hell of it - and saw that you get a rebate of 3% on orders $100CAD or more. Rebate to be applied on your next order. Hot Damn, what a good deal..............
It's additional to the 50% if you already have some rebates laying around. If prices are cheap 3% cheaper is always a good deal.
Old 02-15-06, 07:48 AM

I have a bunch of $ under Rebates. However, if I add something to my cart and go to check out, I don't see this applied to the total.

Has anyone tried ordering with Rebate $? Do they take the 50% off at the time they charge your credit card?
Old 02-15-06, 08:57 AM
Cool New Member

It seems they charge the cc at the time of ordering and then after shipping add the 50% to refundable credit. They hope most will use the credit to buy dvds from them which is of course cheaper than refunding it to the cc, which can also be done. If the dvds get delivered I have no problem with that.
Old 02-15-06, 11:03 AM

It seems a few people here that favor them know exactly how their operation works...

Same old company, same old tricks. Can't trust them.

I say these people know exactly what they are doing. They are hoping to suck in some more uninformed customers.
Old 02-15-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wrote off the money I lost with them a while back. No way I'm going to fall for the "buy more from us and get 50% off" crap.
Old 02-15-06, 06:52 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by KKnight
It seems a few people here that favor them know exactly how their operation works...

Same old company, same old tricks. Can't trust them.

I say these people know exactly what they are doing. They are hoping to suck in some more uninformed customers.
I know them better than most. I turned their operations in and out to squeeze every discount there was. I even found a $0.01 bargain that spread through the internet forums and dvdsoon honoured them probably because they didn't have any monitoring for misprices.

Every $1 price reduction led to cancelling and reordering on a grand scale that hurt them in the end. But I know I saved a few thousand dollars with them so I have a sweet tooth for dvdsoon even if they owe me a few bucks at the end of it. With this offer and especially the free shipping I see myself ordering with them regularly.
Old 02-15-06, 09:18 PM

Caveat Emptor

Caveat Emptor
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Caveat emptor is Latin for "let the buyer beware".

Before statutory law, the buyer had no warranty of the quality of goods. In many jurisdictions, the law now requires that goods must be of "merchantable quality". However, this implied warranty can be difficult to enforce, and may not apply to all products. Hence, buyers are still advised to be cautious.

In addition to the quality of the merchandise, this phrase also applies to the return policy. In most jurisdictions, there is no legal requirement for the vendor to provide a refund or exchange. In many cases, the vendor will not provide a refund but will provide a credit. In the case of software, movies and other copyrighted material many vendors will only do a direct exchange for another copy of the exact same title. Most stores require proof of purchase and impose time limits on exchanges or refunds; however, some larger chain stores will do exchanges or refunds at any time with or without proof of purchase.

This phrase has given rise to many informal variations, such as caveat reader (properly expressed in Latin as caveat lector).

Caveat emptor has also been used by software documentors to entitle their collection of software functioning odditites or stumbling blocks in usage.
Need I say more??

Last edited by ChristianB; 02-15-06 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-16-06, 01:57 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

:notrolls:
Old 02-16-06, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dvdbunny
I know them better than most. I turned their operations in and out to squeeze every discount there was. I even found a $0.01 bargain that spread through the internet forums and dvdsoon honoured them probably because they didn't have any monitoring for misprices.

Every $1 price reduction led to cancelling and reordering on a grand scale that hurt them in the end. But I know I saved a few thousand dollars with them so I have a sweet tooth for dvdsoon even if they owe me a few bucks at the end of it. With this offer and especially the free shipping I see myself ordering with them regularly.
Basically this makes you complicit in their fraudulent schemes with that type of attitude. They have already shown once again they cannot be trusted by announcing no charges until an order ships but we see they are already charging at time of ordering. They simply lie to their customers, get their monies upfront and then make them jump through hoops to get it back if at all.
Old 02-16-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You know, dvdbunny, I had to check your post history to make sure you weren't one of those "guerilla marketer" guys that there was a recent article about. I guess that's fine if you're going to give them your money because of past performance, but everyone else should stay far, far away until other suckers, I mean customers, actually get a good experience with them. They have a long way to go to get people to start trusting them again...
Old 02-16-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
As I've mentioned before, I received a credit via my Mastercard for my outstanding DVDSoon order. Now, they have the amount listed as a rebate. Since I've already received it, I obviously won't be using the rebate. That would be theft. Oooh, the irony!
Old 02-18-06, 03:33 AM

Some people are confused with the terms "credit" and "rebates". "Rebates" are the money owed by the old DVDSOON. From my reading of their polices, you can get refunds only of credits, not rebates. To get credits, you must buy something from them. 50% of the total order, not including shipping, is applied against the rebates. These amounts are called credits. For example, if you buy $100, you get a credit of $50, which you can submit for a refund.
Old 02-23-06, 04:09 PM
Cool New Member

Just received a package with 2 dvds from dvdsoon. I'm happy.
Old 02-23-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chris99
Some people are confused with the terms "credit" and "rebates". "Rebates" are the money owed by the old DVDSOON. From my reading of their polices, you can get refunds only of credits, not rebates. To get credits, you must buy something from them. 50% of the total order, not including shipping, is applied against the rebates. These amounts are called credits. For example, if you buy $100, you get a credit of $50, which you can submit for a refund.
You joined up just to post this (sorry if I missed your other posts, but when I did a search, I found nothing)? I understand the policy, it just sounds like more of the same from them, new ownership or not.

I swear that guerilla marketing article has me paranoid, but most of the non-negative posts about this place are from relatively new members. Buyer beware.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.