Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Does BigCD have a good rep?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Does BigCD have a good rep?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-02, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Cornfed
Up until a month ago, Bigcd.com had been given pretty much unanimous praise by people on this forum.
Unfortunately, it's also the way some scams start out. Get on something like dvdpricesearch to pull in customers and ship out orders and conduct business so it looks good for a month or two while building a reputation on a few boards. Then starts the monkey business. The stream of money starts to look tempting and it starts going to other uses besides order fulfillment, things get blamed on distribution problems and the pleading for people not reverse their CC charges begins in hopes of stringing them along until it's past the deadline to do so. Credit card companies aren't stupid, once those chargebacks begin and hit a certain level, the money tap closes pretty quickly.

Last edited by nekobus; 02-14-02 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-14-02, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by Cornfed
While Mike has gone about business the wrong way lately, there is no need to go out of our way to sabotage the rest of his life. He has heeded Geoff's advice by no longer taking additional orders for the time being. It was only a day or two ago that he said he would start sending out orders. It has not been long enough to see if he makes good on his word. Up until a month ago, Bigcd.com had been given pretty much unanimous praise by people on this forum.

It looks like this was a case of someone counting his eggs before they hatched that went horribly wrong. While many of us can dispute the charges with our credit card companies. I would have to imagine Mike should have hit the panic button a while ago. Even though he has made a seemingly failed attempt at running an online retailer, there is no reason to use our connections to make sure his band never gets signed. I also have no desire to see him go to jail as was mentioned in a previous post. We still have yet to see how he goes about resolving this. He has kept us posted on the situation and has been very open - and apparently too open on his label's website.
I don't want to get into a whole thing with you here, but I think you're going way too easy on this clown. Accepting orders and taking people's money when Mike KNEW (by his own admission) full well that he would NOT be able to supply the product was more than negligent...it was downright criminal.

Now, I don't want to see his band ruined either. I mean after all, there's 3 other members of that band that have done nothing wrong (POSSIBLY - see below). But he should not be coddled as you seem to be doing. He did something wrong and should suffer the consequences. If that means lawsuits from the CC companies, criminal prosecution for fraud, insults from people that he ripped off, etc. then so be it. Bottom line, this isn't about DVDs or failed business plans. This is about a person that took money for services that he knew he couldn't provide, and then proceeded to use that money for personal pleasure/gain.

The money that was used for Radio Holiday/CTW Records could have went to creditors. It could have went to a different distributor to get the product out to the customer. It could have simply went to refunds for people that have complained. It could have done a lot of things, but it didn't. It went into Mike's pockets (and the pockets of his fellow band members). There really is no excuse.

It also seems that the band knew (at least somewhat) that their funding was coming from Mike's little "business venture."

If you go to their MP3.com page and scroll down to the "Group members" section, you will see that every member of the band has a nickname. Mike's nickname or forte is "bank accounts."

http://artists.mp3s.com/info/286/radio_holiday.html

You have to remember that people like Mike with their "creative" accounting practices are responsible for people losing a lot more than a few DVDs (insert reference to Enron execs here). This isn't like listing a disk on eBay as "Great" when it's actually just "Good." Mike took a lot of money from a lot of people and did a bad thing. He should suffer accordingly.

And to top it all off, to add insult to injury, to take the cake, and break the camel's back...in all of this fiasco, not once has Mike shown remorse, given a (sincere) apology, or accepted ANY of the blame. His contention is that he (the "little guy") is being screwed. Well, I hate to break it to you, but Mike's NOT the little guy...I am. We are. Mike's made plenty of money from his little experiment. Maybe he'll make more with his band. The fact of the matter is that Mike has perpetrated on the us the very thing he claims to be a victim of.

And BTW, I highly doubt he took his site down because G.K. told him it would be a good idea. I'm pretty sure he took it down because the cat's out of the bag and he's gonna have a LOT to answer for with the CC companies.
Old 02-14-02, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RickG

Accepting orders and taking people's money when Mike KNEW (by his own admission) full well that he would NOT be able to supply the product was more than negligent...it was downright criminal.
Well said. If you remember he has trying to attract large order's with his $5 off $100 coupon last month before he "toured" with the band and suddenly stopped shipping order's at the same time blaming "someone else" didn't handle his order's. Where is Mike of BigCD now, eh? Where's hundred of customers cash with nothing being notified as shipped or refunds? Where is a email telling me where the hell my order is after 3 weeks?

Bueller....

I don't feel sorry for Mike, I feel sorry for the poor soul's that used a Check Card.
Old 02-14-02, 08:15 AM

Ever notice that before he was accused he was posting in here about once or twice a week, and now that he's being accused of misappropriation of funds (is that the correct term?) not a word is being heard from him??

Has anyone tried to contact him on his message board and ask what cell he'll be in??
Old 02-14-02, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cubanx

I don't feel sorry for Mike, I feel sorry for the poor soul's that used a Check Card.
I ordered with a debit card--stupid mistake. I contacted my bank and Visa, since it has their logo on the card. I will get my money back, they said (but not anytime soon)

Contrary to what others have said, I truly, truly, hope Mike's band never makes it. If a president--however wonderful he may be--wins an election through the illegal use of campaign funds we would want him to resign. Bad analogy, but it is related:

The fact of the matter with Mike's band is that he was able to tour, and attract the attention of major labels WITH OUR MONEY. In other words, he used our money as an investment. This means if he becomes "famous" we should be getting a piece of the cake, with his multi-milion dollar signings. The fact is that we are not, and if he does become famous it will be off the back of us poor guys... SO I truly, truly hope he goes to jail and his band breaks up leaving nothing behind but a few artistically shallow MP3's...

Let not Mike be an example to would-be entrepeneurs who want to be "famous" off our buck (and back)...

Me? I am happy listening to Pink Floyd...
Old 02-14-02, 09:44 AM
Banned

thought it'd be interesting to see this brat brought to justice. go crazy:

"Business" Address:
Mike Warden
Po box 40282
Redford, MI 48239 US

removed phone number as it's his home phone

Email: [email protected]

Record label: www.conquertheworld.com

removed home address

a really poorly attempted scam. let me know how things turn out

Last edited by stevevt; 02-14-02 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-14-02, 10:34 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by lt123
This sounds like a horrible situation. However, Mike's band "Radio Holiday" pretty much rocks.

Very Husker-Du sounding. That said, IMHO I don't think they'll go mainstream, but I can see them being a darling of college radio.
[sarcasm] Well, I'm sure that Mike won't forget the little people who helped him finance his band when he makes it big. [/sarcasm]
Old 02-14-02, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: more updates

Originally posted by Mike BigCD
It looks like a ray of sunshine has permeated the overcast sky.

My card processor is now sending me some of the money they are holding. They are also raising my limit again but yet again they took another security deposit.

So please if you have contacted your banks cancel the claims they take a serious amount of time and they cost me and the card processor money. The orders will be sent out shortly, and everything will come to as close as normal as possible. Thanks for your patience.

Mike
I just read through this entire thread, and although I already knew the outcome, it was this post from "Mike BigCD" (should be "Mike BigD*C*") that started formulating my opinion that this is fraud and not stupidity. I mean, it's like catching a pickpocket with his hand in your pants, who then says he's looking for some gum, then pulls out your wallet because it's preventing him from looking for his gum, pulls out your car keys for the same reason, keep fishing around in your pocket, and then, when you call for the police, calmly says "Oh, no, there's a ray of hope that I might find that gum, so don't bother with the police, that will just cost all of us a lot of time and money, I'm almost done here."

Good luck to eveyone in getting their money back, I hope we haven't heard the last on this one, but that only good news follows.

Shoveler

Last edited by Shoveler; 02-15-02 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-14-02, 11:19 AM

It's sh*t like this that is making me return to Brick & Mortar shopping. I'm losing faith in making online purchases.

New online retailers are getting hurt by guys like this because no one dares to make a purchase on an unknown online site. Then on the other hand going to "secure" well-known sites like Amazon.com will "cost" you and as a consequence the discounts become nonexistent leaving in actuality very little benefit and reason for shopping online other than some convenience.

And like most people in this forum right now, I want his head on a platter.
Old 02-14-02, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think you guys have to worry about his band becoming succesful. Being signed by a major label is a ticket to financial ruin for a majority of bands. Mike may be a con artist, but in all likelihood he is way, way, way overmatched by the con(tract) lawyers that work for the labels. The copyright industry will chew him up and spit him out like a wad of chaw.
Old 02-14-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can only say this that Mike needs to be reprimanded at the fullest extent of the law. If he indeed ran a scam which it appears that he did. To fund his band. If he isn't brought to justice then the people who got scammed by Mike are doing Mike a disservice. Mike may verb his usual BS statements but until he is brought to realizing what he did was wrong he will more or less try something like this again. You need help Mike from Mike himself by refuting your credit card orders and filing mail fraud www.usps.gov. Their site has a form. I'd also recomend filing a complaint with the IRS. I'm sure the IRS will find alot inadequecies in his accounting measures. It's considered fraud if after 30 days if one doesn't provide the services. It's called I believe failure to provide.

Also as far as his band is concerned. I for one wouldn't buy a CD of his nor recomend him to anyone. Most companies won't hire or do business with someone who has committed fraud and I believe he will have to dig himself out this one and make retributions fast.
Old 02-14-02, 12:49 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by jr.junior
thought it'd be interesting to see this brat brought to justice. go crazy:

Home Address:

removed home address

Cool, let's all book flights and go knock on his door.

I plan on hiding all his bands future CDs in the William Shatner section

Last edited by stevevt; 02-14-02 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-14-02, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow, he's only about fifteen minutes from me. If I had ordered from him, I would certainly be literally knocking on his door. One could call the Redford police perhaps?

Anyone who says his band is the next Nirvana is a f-ing idiot.

Last edited by badlieut; 02-14-02 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-14-02, 02:16 PM
Cool New Member

His band is obviously pretty popular in your area then, right, badlieut?
Old 02-14-02, 04:42 PM

Seems like he put http://www.bigcd.com back online! He probably needs more money from us to support his band! He added an update to his page. Here it is:

2. Shipping policy change - Only use Priority mail if you are ordering 1 or 2 items on a ticket. If you order more than 2 items and select priority mail they will be sent out at complimentary free standard rate rate. Please understand we cannot afford to ship multiple packages priority mail when your only paying a small flat rate.

I guess he wants more money so you can upgrade your shipping and he will send it out to you!
Old 02-14-02, 07:34 PM
Suspended

updates....

Hello I was not around a computer for 3 days so I had no idea this was going on here. I do not appreciate the level of personal attacks here. I have a personal life you know and if I spend money I make on myself for dinner, for bills or for my record company then it's my business. BigCD finances my record company and it pays for my trips to taco bell or whatever else I pay for.

I don't have all the money for the orders. I never even got most of it up until the other day. They released some of it to me but they still are holding $10,000 of your money which is to pay for orders.

I am still trying to work it all out to get the orders out but Ingram doesn't care much or put much of a concern on the orders. I also had big discrepency with my bank as it appeared than the money that half.com sent to me was reversed then taken out for 2 days my bank account read -$36,000. I could not even cash a check from some CD sales because the account was on hold. So instead of raking myself in personal torment over this situation I had band practice a couple days and only now have I returned.

I am not a thief, nor a scam artist and I'm definitely not a criminal so it
would be nice to not hear people calling me that. I don't have your money
Ingram has it holding it pending what we decide to do between the three
parties. If anything I'm guilty of having hot pots in the oven and having to
divide my attention to both of them. The worst comes I'll declare bankruptcy
because I won't let this ruin my life because it's not in my hands. I am a
small fish and there are much larger ones in control. For god sakes I live
with my mom so i can cut all my expenses so I can operate while the business
grows. The business can't function unless people let it function. My credit
was revoked because people did not pay me money they owed my card processor
that is. Not to mention my advertising on dVd talk, my campaigns on
pricegrabber.com, bargainflix, and dvdpricesearch.com, my server and
internet bill they are all monthly expenses that money was taken out for.

Well anyways I have so many things to catch up on. Nothing is going to be
resolved today we tried to conference call in half, ingram but they didn't
answer.

Mike
Old 02-14-02, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: updates....

BigCD finances my record company and it pays for my trips to taco bell or whatever else I pay for.

I don't have your money Ingram has it holding it pending what we decide to do between the three parties. The worst comes I'll declare bankruptcy
because I won't let this ruin my life because it's not in my hands.

I live with my mom.

Mike
Old 02-14-02, 08:30 PM

Hello I was not around a computer for 3 days so I had no idea this was going on here.
You knew of all these problems so you decided to leave for three days?

I do not appreciate the level of personal attacks here. I have a personal life you know and if I spend money I make on myself for dinner, for bills or for my record company then it's my business. BigCD finances my record company and it pays for my trips to taco bell or whatever else I pay for.
This is incorrect, because you are not spending your money, you are spending other people's money. Any problems you've had with the business were caused by yourself. Leaving orders outstanding -- your fault. Problems with your merchant account -- your fault, you violated a few rules there by charging before shipping (illegal) and also by NOT TELLING PEOPLE what was going on. Problems with half.com -- your fault, because you apparently didn't ship out products (see the other thread).

I don't have all the money for the orders. I never even got most of it up until the other day. They released some of it to me but they still are holding $10,000 of your money which is to pay for orders.
Whom? I like how when someone else has money that doesn't belong to them, it's ours. When you have money that doesn't belong to you, it's yours...

I am still trying to work it all out to get the orders out but Ingram doesn't care much or put much of a concern on the orders.
Pretty obvious you don't either.

So instead of raking myself in personal torment over this situation I had band practice a couple days and only now have I returned.
Hiding from problems apparently didn't help -- strange isn't it? Often when people ignore problems and the people behind them everything magically gets all better again.

I don't have your money
Ingram has it holding it pending what we decide to do between the three
parties.
This is interesting. Ingram, a distributor, is holding your money. How did they get your money?

The worst comes I'll declare bankruptcy
because I won't let this ruin my life because it's not in my hands.
Nice. Just shows you as the stand-up fellow you are.

I am a
small fish and there are much larger ones in control. For god sakes I live
with my mom so i can cut all my expenses so I can operate while the business
grows. The business can't function unless people let it function.
You seem to be the biggest problem. Living with your mother is irrelevant, but it does clarify a few things.

My credit
was revoked because people did not pay me money they owed my card processor
that is.
Wait, you are the good guy! People didn't pay you for products you didn't ship! It's all clear now. You got to watch out for people on this board, they often have outlandish demands. You know, like the products they paid for.

Not to mention my advertising on dVd talk, my campaigns on
pricegrabber.com, bargainflix, and dvdpricesearch.com, my server and
internet bill they are all monthly expenses that money was taken out for.
All expenses you knew about and you accepted. Stop complaining, it's your choice, and you clearly made it poorly.

Nothing is going to be
resolved today we tried to conference call in half, ingram but they didn't
answer.
You say there are three parties -- you, half, and ingram. So who else was on the phone with you, or but is that the royal we?

In other posts you always complain about waiting to get paid -- credit card companies, half.com, whatever. You know half.com's payment policies, why would you expect them to change for you? Credit card companies have regulations on when you get paid, why would you expect them to change for you?

To be completely honest, I've seen a lot of people like you. They come and go, complain about stupid and controlable circumstances that they just couldn't put up with. Face facts, Mike, you aren't mature enough to run a business. You ignore it and customers, you take funds before shipping products, and then make up shoddy excuses and blame anyone but yourself. You're the one who's caused the problems, you're the one who can't deal with them, and you're the one who's screwing over a lot of people.

Two years ago, you might have gotten start-up capital, but face it Mike, everyone's gotten a little smarter, and intelligent people can see you as exactly what you are.
Old 02-14-02, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello I was not around a computer for 3 days so I had no idea this was going on here.
Ummm.. and you run an internet based business.. I find that statement very comical.

Your telling my you can't take a day to email all the customer's money you have and tell them why they have no product after 3 weeks. That's simply unprofessional and dishonest and my credit card company agree's.

Last edited by cubanx; 02-14-02 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-14-02, 09:06 PM
Suspended

I'm not responding any longer.

This is the last response you will see from me. I did not post here to become personally attacked, have any such personal information posted so you can call here and threaten me with who knows what.

I'm just not going to answer the phone anymore or get it disconnected I really don't care at this point after having so many threatening phone calls people swearing at my mom calling at 4 am in the morning swearing on my machine.

I'm tired of it and I am not going to take the abuse anymore. I did not post here so you could personally pick apart every word I wrote or attack me personally. this is business and this is not handled in this manner.

I'm not even going to pretend to care anymore about anything with this attitude from people.
Old 02-14-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: I'm not responding any longer.

this is business and this is not handled in this manner.

Who's doing the mishandling here. Is it us who have paid hard-earned money for nothing, or you who has used our money to buy tacos???

Goodbye... WTF are you still doing on the DVDTalk forums, anyway? Shouldn't you be packing boxes for shipment or running away to Mexico (and thus eating all the tacos you want)?

Last edited by diacritic; 02-14-02 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-14-02, 09:28 PM

This is the last response you will see from me. I did not post here to become personally attacked, have any such personal information posted so you can call here and threaten me with who knows what.
And now he takes his toys and goes home.
Old 02-15-02, 01:23 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Has anyone complained to Half.com about his selling practices? He is clearly violating the seller agreement by not shipping items untill he receives the cash.

That means he is confirming an order, and then not shipping them within the next business day as he's supposed to. Being that he's admitted this, he should have his seller status revoked immediately from half.com.
Old 02-15-02, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this is business and this is not handled in this manner.
Ever seen a man fall out his chair at work holding his stomach and laughing? Well my co-workers just did.
Old 02-15-02, 08:54 AM

I think this is the real reason that BigCD.com is in trouble. This is a quote from Mike at his record label site. http://www.conquertheworld.com Mike has now deleted the quote from his site, but it was there as late as yesterday.

CTW will always be a record label as long as I have some money from some kind of source and a band inspires me to spend it without any real hopes of really getting it back. It's never been about the money just the music and the friends. I am sure the website will be re designed sometime soon, it's been quite neglected over the past few months. I have had to spend a lot of time on BigCD.com and learning how it can grow. Unfortunately I took too much money from bigcd.com and put it into CTW and now I'm experiencing financing problems with the company itself. It's good thing and it's a bad thing. It's good because the Radio Holiday CD was released with this money and that's amazing because it helps the progression of the band and the chance of the band really getting big seem to be quite high. So hell once we get our 5 million dollar advance from some big label I can pay the $10,000 I owe to bigcd.com to get it paid back. The bad thing is right now there are 500 DVDs just sitting there waiting for the homes of the customers who ordered them. I wish I was smarter with proper business and money management, but honestly that really would not be me. Choose either for the final sentence, "Maybe it's time to change" or "Who cares you are punk rock?"

I think the above quote by Mike shows who is really at fault in the BigCD.com debacle.

Last edited by StealThisCoupon; 02-15-02 at 08:56 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.