Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Does BigCD have a good rep?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Does BigCD have a good rep?

Old 12-22-01, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does BidCD have a good rep?

I jsut saw that they have some really nice prices, and I was wondering if they have any bad marks on their record or not.
Old 12-22-01, 07:05 AM

I have never heard of them, and when I go to Bidcd.com, it goes to the magazine outlet. I hope you are not trying to get in free ads on this forum.
Old 12-22-01, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you talking about BigCD.com?
Old 12-22-01, 09:18 PM

Yeah, sorry about the typo, I was in a hurry. Have you heard anything about BigCD.com?
Old 12-23-01, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Only that this forum had a discount coupon off a $100 purchase. I don't think that many DVDTalkers have ventured there yet. Sorry
Old 12-23-01, 07:07 PM
Suspended

A Little about BigCD.com

Hello DvdTalkers, since your asking about my store I figure I could at least just tell you a little without really being such a self promoting ******* or considered a spammer.

I come here very often to enjoy the conversation and the reviews as I am just a regular fan like you guys. Bigcd has been in operation for over two years, originally just as an import music source and a place to have a shopping cart for my own record company. I then decided to become a full blown store since I had the smarts to do it.

Only recently have I been spending money on some marketing and advertising programs. I wasn't ready for full time e commerce until I had some nice additions like order status tracking, inventory levels and more automation with scripts and updates with database manipulation.

So since it's inception bigcd has had over 5,000 tickets sold in the cart, and my half.com store since august has shipped over 7,000 orders. I don't know even if thats enough to have a rep in the grand scheme of things really because there are millions of e shoppers around.

The cart has some powerful features I built it pretty much myself with of course the programmers help who designed the system initially. Yes although I am a small company I absolutely can offer the same level service any major corporation can minus a few bells and whistles and moronic untrained customer service reps. I can absolutely offer products cheaper because I don't have a bloated and bulky business model.

I guess the drawbacks are that I don't have any genius programmers. Neither can I answer the phone to help people with orders personally so I don't list a phone number on the website. I do all the email responses myself and personally oversee everything 24/7 except when I am sleeping or rehearsing or doing shows with my radio rock band.

I hope I can offer you guys some good deals as I have found some on my own over these recent months while visiting dvdtalk. Just give it a shot.

Mike - Owner/Slave/ future Rockstar as well.
Old 12-24-01, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Mike. I'll be checking your site out shortly and will report back to the DVDTalk population.

Please keep us informed.
Old 12-24-01, 10:50 AM

I placed an order for seven dvds about two weeks ago and didn't have any problems. Price wise bigcd is either the lowest or very close to bestprices.com, and this is after you include shipping.

Like the site says, there aren't any gfx, so sometimes it is hard to determine if the dvd you want is the correct one. I just check the part # against Amazon.com, and that works out ok.

I have some suggestions & observations:

- Allow a customer to do an order search by order number, where the customer would enter the order number into a entry box. Or something like Amazon.com where it keeps track of your orders and you can just click on the link.

- Put the rule about credit card purchases with different bill-to ship-to addresses into the faq. I didn't see this info until after I placed my order.

- Site seemed sorta slow given than I am on broadband. Might be because of the holiday or the new advertising.

Anyway, I would order from bigcd.com again.
Old 12-25-01, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's great news! I'll be trying them out shortly.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-30-01, 05:39 PM
Suspended

A few new features in the store.

Hi you guys, I put a couple things in the bigcd store.

I grabbed the UPC field from the products database and put it on the items description page. This way you can compare UPC codes to make sure your ordering the proper issue of the title you are looking for. The only thing the store is missing which would be beneficial is the covers for the DVDS. However I do not see this being an option because getting a video account with muze will run anywhere from 1, 2 thousand dollars PER MONTH. In a binding contract and I don't have money to just throw around to "see if this will work".

I also added the store policy page back again after re writing it pretty much from scratch. So check that out If you are interested and give me your feedback. I will most likely add and modify to suit customers needs and feedback. I just had to get something up there that described shipping, payment, returns and what not.

I'm thinking about taking out free shipping on everything and make it free shipping for $20 or more order. I'm actually losing money when someone buys something for like 7.99 or what have you because of free shipping... I was hoping more people would select the priority option because its much fast and secure but also then i make like a little bit more. I know most people here don't care either way if a store makes money and survives the dot com crashes but for me this is how I make my living or how I try to at least.

Mike BigCD
Old 01-12-02, 09:02 PM
Suspended

BigCD lower prices for a while.

Hello fellow Dvdtalkers. I am just posting in my own thread here. I have lowered just about everything in the store to most likely record low prices.

I am doing this so I can observe the buying pattens and compare the prices with other online retailers. I will then be raising prices on specific items accordingly when this period is ended. I need to be able to recognize what customers like to buy and for those products the ones that I can raise prices a couple dollars on and still give the customer a deal and save some money to buy veggie burgers for the week for myself.

I won't cancel orders unless I see prices lower than my cost, but my pricing script should be working so I make at least $1 per dvd. I have come to the conclusion to maximize my profits I need to price products individually accordingly to the current market. There is no way to do this without using customers as guniea pigs. I can't just run a mathematical percentage from cost markup. It's not effective. So come enjoy the benefits of me spilling my guts about why I sit in front of the computer 10 hours a day and I'm honestly not looking at pron.

Mike.

PS for anyone who cares, the bands CD is coming out in a few weeks then we will see what major labels would be interested in us.
Old 01-26-02, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I placed an order on Jan. 9th. Today being Jan. 26th, the order status shows it as being "OPENORD." My credit card has already been charged, so I'm guessing it might ship soon....

Anyone else have similar experience with BigCD.com?
Old 01-26-02, 09:38 AM

The order status pages shows nothing's happened since 01.14.2002.

I placed an order a week ago yesterday and never received an email notifying my order had been shipped (as advertised). My order has also not shown up on this spreadsheet, yet my creditcard was billed.

I email'd the 'customer service' address and did not receive any response. I'll probably cancel my order after another week.

zeek
Old 01-27-02, 06:24 PM
Suspended

I just have returned.

Hello I'm sorry for the delay but I was gone on tour with my radio rock band. I hired someone to do orders and some other basic tasks but he turned out to only show up one time so I have hundreds of orders to now process and tons of work to do. Everything will be handled shortly. Thanks for your patience.

Mike
Old 01-28-02, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well they don't seem to have a "good rep" with vendor reviewers @ dvdpricesearch.

While I laugh @ people that say "I ordered it 2 Day's where's my DVD" I do not think the claims of no responses to customer service questions is acceptable. I have not used them before but I might buy 1 dvd to try them out and report my findings.
Old 01-28-02, 03:33 AM

Also awaiting for a reply to the email I sent them a week ago

Spero D.
Old 01-28-02, 10:27 AM
Suspended

Contact now.

Hello, like I said on the top. I was gone for a week on tour with my rock band. I run bigcd myself so if I am gone then nobody can respond. i did train and hire a guy to update the store and send orders in but he only showed up one time so there still is a lot of catching up to do.

Our band is on the verge of getting a major record deal and becoming famous so doing the band is just as important as bigcd for me.

Mike
Old 01-28-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Our band is on the verge of getting a major record deal and becoming famous so doing the band is just as important as bigcd for me.
Something to consider when ordering ... is price the only factor, is service a factor, if so how important ...
Old 01-29-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, what happens when you can't find your order number on the site? I have a print out or my order, my order number and everything, but I can't log on, nor can I get any verification at all that my order is processing or has shipped, or anything.

any suggestions?

Robyn Young
Old 01-29-02, 05:09 PM
Suspended

Problems...

I am having a few problems with my distributor trying to work them out now. Orders have been delayed unfrotunately but those are sometimes the growing pains a business experiences. Everything hopefully will be worked out shortly.
Old 02-02-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts
NEVER ORDER FROM THEM!!! I HAVEN'T GOT MY ORDER IN OVER A MONTH!!

Originally posted by Cornfed
I placed an order on Jan. 9th. Today being Jan. 26th, the order status shows it as being "OPENORD." My credit card has already been charged, so I'm guessing it might ship soon....

Anyone else have similar experience with BigCD.com?

I place an order with them over a month ago, my credit card was charged and THE ORDER STILL HAS NOT SHIPPED!!!

A credit card should never be charged unless the order has shipped. Repeated emails were met with standard useless answers, I requested a refund to which I never received a response. I can understand growing pains but.....

Mike BigCD states:

I am having a few problems with my distributor trying to work them out now. Orders have been delayed unfrotunately but those are sometimes the growing pains a business experiences. Everything hopefully will be worked out shortly.

Hopefully things will be worked out shortly??? HOW long is shortly? I have already waited a MONTH!!! If you didn't charge my credit card, Hey no big deal, BUT you did charge my card and DIDN'T SEND THE GOODS!!

I can't possibly see how I will ever use your company again, if you can't ship out the orders you should not charge the cards. Plain and simple......

Last edited by d2cheer; 02-02-02 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-02-02, 10:09 AM

I absolutely agree. My CC was also charged within a few hours, and my order was never shipped.

The last email I received from them said "maybe next week, we've got over $50,000 worth of merchandise waiting to go out". Doesn't make me feel all that great that my order is stuck somewhere in that big glut.

Nothing should have been charged until the order was ready to ship. I will wait a little longer for this to ship because of monetary reasons (I'm not using my CC anymore so this was my last big hu-rah) but I will not be ordering from BigCD anymore.

zeek
Old 02-02-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

:

Thanks for the heads up guys, looks like a place to avoid... doesn't sound like $50,000 in orders is too important to him ... definitely not a place for me to do busines with.

:johnwoo

Last edited by sniper308; 02-02-02 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-02-02, 03:40 PM
Suspended

Exactly like it says...

I hope things will be worked out soon. Too many complications and technical and what not things to explain here but yeah things are delayed right now.

Cards are being charged because soon as the details are worked out the orders will ship. My contract is under renegotiations among other things because it's up in less than a month.

I respond to everyone who emails and tell them that.

The entire system is on hold pending these negotiations reviewing of the account etc. Thats why no order status pages have been updated. I care about the expeditious shipping of your orders but the distributor does not. They will not release orders right now until details and issues are worked out and on paper. They are fully aware of the amount of orders and what have you that are waiting to ship. They just don't care about anything but themselves. Typical of any big company or corporation.

I am doing everything in my power to push this to resolution.

Thanks for your patience.
Old 02-02-02, 06:26 PM

Re: Exactly like it says...

Originally posted by Mike BigCD
I hope things will be worked out soon. Too many complications and technical and what not things to explain here but yeah things are delayed right now.

Cards are being charged because soon as the details are worked out the orders will ship. My contract is under renegotiations among other things because it's up in less than a month.

I respond to everyone who emails and tell them that.

The entire system is on hold pending these negotiations reviewing of the account etc. Thats why no order status pages have been updated. I care about the expeditious shipping of your orders but the distributor does not. They will not release orders right now until details and issues are worked out and on paper. They are fully aware of the amount of orders and what have you that are waiting to ship. They just don't care about anything but themselves. Typical of any big company or corporation.

I am doing everything in my power to push this to resolution.

Thanks for your patience.
Maybe it's me, but consumers don't care about your distribution problems. They just want the product that they are already billed for. I have been reading your posts and I simply will not order from you due to the lack of reponsibility your claiming for yourself. Instead of blaming your distributor, why don't you suck it up and claim the blame for yourself. You're the sole person to blame not your distributor.

I also think you should post these problems on your home page, so potential customers know these problem exists and they will have advance notice that it may take a long time to get the product. Oh yeah, you also might want to post that your band is more inportant than those customers.

Dude, your shooting yourself in the foot with those stupid responses.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.