Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DDD Wait time

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-01, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And one more thing

Its clear that any company has good stories and bad stories. I'm not claiming that DeepDiscountDVD is all bad. Clearly they have some sucess stories and their prices are unbeatable.

However, I personally have been wronged by them, and don't see any effort on their part to make up what has happened. To me that doesnt encourage return business. You will all have to make your own decisions on what is important to you when dealing with a company.

If someone at the company finally does do the right thing, which is simply to answer my questions, not the questions they think i'm asking, then I would be happy to report that as well.

Hell, i may even consider using them again as this may just be an isolated case. (but ask me another time)

I should also point out that this is an international shipment, but come on, get real, its 2001. I think shipping internationally has been done before.

And lastly, one of the replies even implied that Sept 11th was to blame, which I found just totally unacceptable and shameful. They should take responsibility for the screw up they've created and do something to fix the situation.
Old 10-19-01, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sigh

Everything seemed good. The CS said they would send me something else instead of the lost Suspiria Special Edition. Somehow, it never got to me and they couldn't track it, so they said they would re-ship Suspiria, except that it was already discontinued....

After a month, they shipped out something else for me.. I thought it was the best they could do. However, they now have charged my credit card twice..

No answer from CS yet (hint).
Old 10-19-01, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should definitely follow up on that. I did all of my correspondence through Email and have every one of them saved, including a confirmation from the president of the parent company. So I'm expecting that everything will work out fine for me.

dealing with the higher ups was a much more pleasent experience. I have decided to use them again too, but just waiting for the perfect disk :-)

Keep us informed.

Jim

PS, also want to put in a plug for dvdpricesearch.com. In addition to being escalated to a sup at DDD, and getting personally contacted by the pres of the parent company, dvdpricesearch.com also contacted me about the situation and offered to help if they could. But by then everything was under control.
Old 10-19-01, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is my story.

I ordered Suspiria LTD Ed and Opera Reg Ed.

I got the defective Opera and sent it back to DDD. I never got Suspiria and they said they couldn't reship it since it was now discontinued .

I said -whatever- and asked them to send me the Simpsons DVD instead.

They charged me for Opera and Suspiria. About $45. I sent Opera back. So now I have no DVDs and out $45.

They sent me a message saying they shipped my replacement Opera back with the Simpsons... and charged me another $45.

Arggh! Thanks for listening. I needed to vent!

I got fed up a while back and bought Opera at a B&M... Heh.. defective too! Strike Two!

UPDATE: Charge(s) not reversed yet

Last edited by axolotls return; 10-20-01 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-20-01, 04:45 PM

Am I the only person who is extremely happy with DDD? I live in North Carolina and I have always gotten all of my preorders from them by the Friday before street date. Most recently, that would be Star Wars Episode I that arrived on Friday, October 12.

Of course, I'm not the cheapskate that some people are and I do pay for priority shipping... However, a little known fact is that if you place a large order, they only charge the $3.95 shipping once, despite the fact that they ship each DVD when it is released and they don't hold them until all are available...

Those of you that have problems should consider doing this. It is worth a few extra cents on my per-DVD average to know that I will have my DVD's on the weekend before street date...

GREAT JOB DDD!
Old 10-20-01, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by packaok
Am I the only person who is extremely happy with DDD? I live in North Carolina and I have always gotten all of my preorders from them by the Friday before street date. Most recently, that would be Star Wars Episode I that arrived on Friday, October 12.

Of course, I'm not the cheapskate that some people are and I do pay for priority shipping... However, a little known fact is that if you place a large order, they only charge the $3.95 shipping once, despite the fact that they ship each DVD when it is released and they don't hold them until all are available...

Those of you that have problems should consider doing this. It is worth a few extra cents on my per-DVD average to know that I will have my DVD's on the weekend before street date...

GREAT JOB DDD!
When you place a large order where items are shipped seperately and you pay for Priority shipping, do they ship each item by Priority mail? I tried this a couple of times, but every time they just sent the first item that shipped by Priority mail and the remainder of the order was shipped Media Mail. So I finally just gave up on paying for the Priority mail and just used the free shipping. Has DDD changed their policy on this?
Old 10-20-01, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just wanted to point out, that since I don't live in the US, I paid full price for my shipping. My issue with them wasn't about the ship time, it was about the customer service I received. Also, I am trying to be fair with DDD. This was my first experience with them and I wasn't please due to the issue I had with their customer service department. I've been in the CS industry for many years so I know my way around that industry.

I did, and do give DDD high marks on correcting the situation I had with them. Best case scenario would have been that my issue never had to get so out of hand. Even the president of the parent company along with the supervisor I spoke with both agreed that they were at fault and corrected the situation.

With any volume call or fulfillment center, there are going to be problems, and how those problems are dealt with either on a first, 2nd or 3rd tier of support is as important as getting it right the first time.

I actually had some great correspondence with both of those people representing DDD and I hope that the experience can help to strengthen their support and increase their support satisfaction. Only time will tell.

I think DDD is worth ordering from still and encourage anyone who has a problem to work with the CS people to solve it.

Over opinions:

1) Dealing with them on the phone seems to be much more productive. I think they need to take more care as to how they service their email customers though. As a test I had a friend in the states make the call to the CS department to get to the bottom of my issue. He is also a CS veteren and gave them a good overall review. I'm not making my story up, I have the 19 plus emails to back up my claims and the testiments of 2 guys in charge.

2) I think you'll find alot of support for DDD with regard to service and prices on this board. They clearly have some success stories and they passed the "get a pissed off customer back in our corner" test.

3) I think they should take a look at the way they do international shipping (yup, more than just americans buying dvds folks). Every country has their little "things" when it comes to getting packages from abroad. I think for the cost of the shipment that I paid for, a better tracking system should be in place. I don't have the faith in the Norwegian system to sit comfortably while my package is in limbo. I should also point out that my package did arrive close to the stated time in question which ranged from 7-16 business days (depending on who I spoke with). I think it was about 16 days, but my issue wasn't about wait time.

Given what I've read and my correspondence with the company, my opinion is that when something does go wrong, their internal tracking and over all systems don't seem to provide clear information to pass on to customers. Maybe a look at their systems would help as well.

I believe that DDD is doing its best to improve their service, and expect that these things will get even better over time.

Jim
Old 10-20-01, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Roy28
When you place a large order where items are shipped seperately and you pay for Priority shipping, do they ship each item by Priority mail? I tried this a couple of times, but every time they just sent the first item that shipped by Priority mail and the remainder of the order was shipped Media Mail. So I finally just gave up on paying for the Priority mail and just used the free shipping. Has DDD changed their policy on this?
This I'm not sure of... Star Wars Episode I was the 4th (and final) DVD in an order. All of the DVD's in this order were preorders. Hannibal, the 3rd movie in the order, arrived on the Thursday before street date. The other three DVD's arrived on Friday before street date...

It may actually be a situation where I'm paying Priority for no reason... I may live close enough that the "free" shipping would get the DVD's to me just as quickly. However, I feel that Priority has been good to me so far, so I don't want to risk it...

I just placed an order for 8 titles spanning the next 3 months. I paid for Priority on the order. It will be interesting to see if my luck with them holds up...
Old 10-20-01, 10:02 PM

Laughing so hard I'm crying

I'm not the cheapskate that some people are and I do pay for priority shipping.
God bless people like you. They enable us "cheapskates" to get free shipping from DDD. I'm sure you must feel like you're getting the best deal in town, and that's all that matters.
Old 10-20-01, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well. I think they are still ironing the bugs out. Still a new venture for them I suppose.

Still, my latest correspondence with them:

They say they charged me twice for two DVDs, and credited for those two DVDs, and re-charged for the DVDs again when they re-shipped.

Sound reasonable. But my statements still have four charges and no credits yet

I am confident it will work out in the end. There prices still are some of the best. But I will insist on Priority Mail w/ Del Confirm next time (after this gets cleared up).

The people who really loves this company seem to be ones that are in close proximity to the company....
Old 10-21-01, 12:56 AM

Re: Laughing so hard I'm crying

Originally posted by LouRavioli
God bless people like you. They enable us "cheapskates" to get free shipping from DDD. I'm sure you must feel like you're getting the best deal in town, and that's all that matters.
You're welcome.
Old 10-21-01, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Last time I checked my statement I had not received my credit either. I'm giving it some time though.

Jim
Old 10-23-01, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

J:

I was told that they did credit my account. Sorry, I checked my statements as of yesterday. Just four charges. Their e-mail told me to check my statements because they were on there.

Nope. Sorry. Just put them into dispute with my credit card company along with the e-mail transcripts.

I asked them for the transaction dates of the credits. We'll see.
Old 10-25-01, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by packaok
However, a little known fact is that if you place a large order, they only charge the $3.95 shipping once, despite the fact that they ship each DVD when it is released and they don't hold them until all are available...
That's a good thing to know. Thanks. However, Roy disagrees below.

Last edited by axolotls return; 10-25-01 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-25-01, 09:11 PM

Well, my first few orders with DDD went through without a problem, and I've even sang their praises and defended them on this board a couple of times. Unfortunately, however, lately I've been experiencing the same kind of problems you guys have, and they seem to get worse with every order - to the point that I'm ready to give up on them entirely.

It started a couple of months ago when I ordered the "Suspiria" and "Opera" limited Editions. I ordered them both together and paid for Priority Mail shipping. Suspiria shipped first, by Priority Mail, then Opera shipped by Media Mail. No big deal, it was my fault for ordering Items with different release dates and for not scrutinizing their shipping policy more closely before ordering. Suspiria arrived in a few days, but Opera never arrived at all. Initially, this seemed to be a blessing in disguise since the Opera dvd I would have received would have been the defective version anyway. I called them, and they agreed to send me another one (the fixed version) so at this point I was happy. However, the replacement arrived today and one of the discs was loose in the case and scratched to ribbons (something that seems to be happening a lot lately and is getting old very quickly). I don't think it happened in transit either, as the shipping box was in pristine condition. I haven't called DDD yet (they're closed for the night), but I don't think their going to be able to replace it, as the title is limited and is no longer listed on their website. Now it's probably going to be impossible to find one (local stores are all sold out).

Also, I place another order with them earlier this week for Dead Ringers Criterion and a cheap title. Once again I paid for Priority shipping, and since both titles were in stock I figured they would ship together. Wrong again. I got a shipping notice late last night that the cheap title has shipped Priority and another shipping notice this morning that Dead Ringers has shipped Media Mail. The Dead Ringers disc was the only reason I paid for Priority Mail anyway, so I pretty much just paid the extra $4 for nothing and will probably end up having to wait weeks for the movie anyway. This policy of only sending the first item that ships by Priority Mail is really frustrating. Also, since these items shipped within hours of each other, why the hell couldn't they just ship them both together?

All in all, I'm not very happy with DDD right now, and until they improve their service, I have probably placed my last order with them. It's just not worth the hassles to save a couple of bucks.

Roy
Old 10-26-01, 03:55 PM

It saddens me to see so many people with so many screwed up orders. I myself have never, ever had a problem with them in all the probably 20 or so DVDs I've bought. They're fast (items show up within a week or ordering), they've never screwed up a shipment - the right disc all the time, and they've got great CSR folks.

When you suffer through the pain of lame ass retailers like O-box or DVDLiar, you come to know the blackness at the core of internet sales. DDD has never had that blackness, in my eyes.
Old 10-26-01, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Darth Kabong
It saddens me to see so many people with so many screwed up orders. I myself have never, ever had a problem with them in all the probably 20 or so DVDs I've bought. They're fast (items show up within a week or ordering), they've never screwed up a shipment - the right disc all the time, and they've got great CSR folks.

When you suffer through the pain of lame ass retailers like O-box or DVDLiar, you come to know the blackness at the core of internet sales. DDD has never had that blackness, in my eyes.
You're right, they're not a bad retailer at all. In fact, if they would work on correcting a couple of serious issues they would be one of the best. And they do have great customer service, I'll give them that. I called about my damaged Opera disc today and they did indeed have more in stock and agreed to send one out without a problem (this will be the 3rd one) - the entire call took less than two minutes.

My only real problem with them is their shipping policies, especially in regards to Priority Shipping. If you pay extra for Priority Mail, they should ship the entire order that way and not just the first item that ships. They are the only online store (that I know of) that does this, and aside from the Slooooow Media Mail shipping (which you can't really complain about since it's free), this is their only real fault. At the very least they should allow you the option of holding the order until all the items are ready to ship.
Old 10-26-01, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've done a lot of business with DDD and have had no complaints. Of course i don't bother with Priority shipping either. One of the selling points with me for DDD is the no shipping cost. I can wait the 2 to 3 weeks to get my order.
Old 10-28-01, 10:24 AM

Me too..

Order shipped 10/15, still no sign of it. Other orders I've had with them took a while, but not this long. Some of this wait may be due to all this Anthrax scare, but this makes pre-ordering not worth it to me. The title I oredered is on the shelves right now, for not much more than I paid. Think I'll cancel my other pre-orders with them.
Old 10-30-01, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I live in Chicago, but it seems to take quite a while for my shipments to come. Itasca is just a moderate drive away. I've plenty of unopened films to watch, so I just go for the free shipping, but it seems funny that I end up waiting so long considering the distance.