Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

RentmyDVD.com Inc. More Feedbacks. Please let us know

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

RentmyDVD.com Inc. More Feedbacks. Please let us know

Old 10-19-01, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satisfied

I have been using RMD since 8/20/2001, and have had 20 dvds sent to me since that sign up date(using the 2 out plan.) That's a hell of a lot of dvd's, all of which cannot be found at any local B&M store. I was using Netflix for a few months, but they upped their prices and I dropped em. Since I do work at a video store, I get free rentals there, but unfortunately they have a limited DVD selection. Mostly new titles and popular old titles. I use RMD for those older dvd titles that cant be found anywhere. I have gotten one cracked disc out of 20. All the other discs I received from RMD have been in playable condition. The only thing that I see as a problem, is the wish list max of 50 titles. Out of that 50, 23 are in stock. I am guaranteed to have 2 discs sent at all times. Which two discs come, doesn't matter to me, I am in no rush to see any specific title. Just to interject some positive feedback, I am completely satisfied with RMD. I get my 2 dvd's each week and that's that. The only thing I would change is the wish list, so I can stock up more movies.
Old 10-19-01, 10:48 PM

Thanks for the insight.

I really hope you find a solution, because I really need an online DVD Rental co.

I agree you have a "situation" with new releases. But isn't the effect of turns different for you than it is for a B&M?

For a B&M, turns = $$ -> each turn is a new transaction, bringing in new money.

For you, membership = $$, turns = customer sat = customer retention.

That distinction may give you some wiggle room.

It is an interesting to think about your business from the financial side. Each turn actually carries an incremental mailing cost, ( more $$), but gives you better inventory control ( more customer sat).

This all would suggest that in place of the 7x factor, you may be able to do other things to improve your turn or accept a lower turn without reducing customer sat (for many customers).

You made a distinction between new releases and catalog titles, and how there are great titles going under-rented. Libraries can charge fees for new releases. Video stores rent catalog titles at a discount, and offer partial refunds for new releases returned early.

I'm not suggesting you could do any of that under your fixed membership plans. But those kinds of options would allow the customer a way to manage their own customer sat.

If a new release costs a $1-2 in addition to my membership fee, I may voluntarily wait a month to see it. Or if I can get part/all of that back for getting it back into your hands ASAP, I might watch that new release when I get it on Tue/Wed, instead of putting it off until the weekend. Of course I want the new release on release date for no extra charge, but it's pretty clear I have to settle for less. The more choices I have on HOW to settle for less, the happier I am as a customer.

But then again, the key to success is "keep it simple"
Old 10-21-01, 02:21 PM

Matt - with all due respect to you (and maybe less to RMD), I think you are missing the point - overall.

The situation you describe where Blockbuster will turn over a Big New Release 5 times in 5 days is clear evidence that the Big New Releases are not what you should be concentrating on.

The fact that you say that you are stocking many titles that are not being rented indicates that your purchasing to date is seriously flawed.

The best example of a title that is OLD, that is desired by RMD members, and can be turned over MANY MANY TIMES PER COPY is Jackie Chan's Legend of Drunken Master.

But, if you read the RMD threads here, you'll find that this is a title that people consistently can't get at RMD. There are many other Jackie Chan titles that RMD doesn't even have.

As many have mentioned, RMD should concentrate on DVDs that we can't find at Blockbuster (although, of course, most Blockbusters probably have "Legend of Druken Master", nevertheless it is an example of a non-current release that people still want to see).

Last edited by HepDude; 10-21-01 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-21-01, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by RMDInc
The only honest question I have is if StephenTu goes to the store with a list or if he just peruses the shelves (as I do and as 99% of renters do) until he sees something and remembers that he had, at one time or another, wanted to pick that title up.
Matt, you mean RMD is not your one and only DVD rental source?
Old 10-22-01, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally posted by HepDude
Matt - with all due respect to you (and maybe less to RMD), I think you are missing the point - overall.

The situation you describe where Blockbuster will turn over a Big New Release 5 times in 5 days is clear evidence that the Big New Releases are not what you should be concentrating on.

The fact that you say that you are stocking many titles that are not being rented indicates that your purchasing to date is seriously flawed.

As many have mentioned, RMD should concentrate on DVDs that we can't find at Blockbuster (although, of course, most Blockbusters probably have "Legend of Druken Master", nevertheless it is an example of a non-current release that people still want to see).
I wholeheartedly agree. When I used to rent videotapes, I frequented mom-n-op shops and avoided the big rental chains like "Blockbuster" because they focused primarily on new-releases...which I'm hardly ever interested in. The mom-n-pop shops typically had a wider variety of older, hard-to-find titles.

THIS is the niche that, IMO, online rental places like RMD should concentrate on. Rental chains don't stock those older titles, and mom-n-pop shops aren't into DVD enough to stock them either (if they handle DVDs at all).

I just started with NetFlix about a month ago, and while I've had some decent success in getting older or more obscure titles (I received the claymation "Davey and Goliath" disc in less than 2 weeks after placing it on my queue!), I can see that there are some titles that are taking quite a while...and many that they don't have at all.

If RMD specialized in those off-the-beaten-path discs, I'd switch over in a heartbeat. As for new releases, on the off-chance that I would actually want to see one, I'd rather drop by the local Blockbuster or Hollywood Video.
Old 10-22-01, 10:02 PM

I think if the plan included 6 films out per time, the problem of circulating the newest released would just be greater.

It's probably better for 3 people to share 6 new release titles that for one person to get all 6.l
Old 10-22-01, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by RMDInc
One thing that I'll say first that gets me a bit upset is all the comparisons to brick and mortar stores and availability. The simple fact is that no online operation can do "one night" rentals for brand new releases. One of the reasons B&M availability is the way it is relates to this idea: Tuesday is new Release day. This is the case for a reason and it works well for the rental industry. On Tuesday you get everyone that really really wants to see a particular new release. It's a one-day rental and so it's back on Wednesday and out to some other die-hard before you lock the door. Same thing Thursday; Friday and Saturday are no-brainers. Sunday is another rental down and you already have five turns on the title.
Actually You are wrong on this point! The only place that I know of that has a one evening rental is Blockbuster (by the way it's actually 2), all the other places that I see rent them for periods of like 3-4 days. Oh yeah, I almost forgot Hollywood Video is 5 days unless you drop it off the next day to recieve the $1 credit. So instead of complaining about what b & m stores do, maybe you should get your facts straight. The only reason why you guys don't have enough copies is because you do not order enough copies. You guys should due some kind of credit thing to get people to return them early. Like maybe a points program when you return a new release you get x amount of points and when someone gets x amount of points built up they receive a free month or something. But, then again you guys have already thought of that, right? By the way it's really unprofessional to complain on a open forum where your customers are. Just a suggestion, because after seeing that I would never use you guys.
Old 10-23-01, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
dvde, a monthly flat-rate fee combined with a maximum "n" out simultaneously, is the best incentive to return discs quickly.
Old 10-23-01, 09:10 AM

Ok - I am long time lurker (I'm talking years here), and I'm finally posting just to comment on RMD.

First off, I have been renting dvds online even before Netflix started their monthly membership plan. Back in Feb, I left Netflix (I think you all know why) and signed up with RMD. Living in NY, the turn around time with RMD has been incredibly fast, and still is.

The main problem now though, in the last two months of course, is that almost nothing is in stock any more. Right now, I have 49 titles on my wish list - 6 are in stock - 3 are coming soon - and a whopping 40 are out of stock. Now the 6 in stock would be plenty - if I wasn't on the 10 out plan.

Now I, for one, try to rent every new release of the year (Hollywood, independent, foriegn, etc.), and I am patient enough to wait a few weeks from the street date to see those titles. Not a problem.

The real problem is the lack of availibility of older titles. I am very interested in the Something Weird Video and Image dvds, not to mention Anchor Bay and Criterion. However, I've had some of those drive-in double feature discs (which I am dying to see) on my wishlist for months upon months. I don't think I've even seen them in stock once. And I'm talking more than 10 titles here.

So for me, it all comes down to being able to rent obscure titles I can't find in b&m stores. As for the popular older titles, I really have no interest in renting them because I have either seen them or they show up on HBO, etc. every other day.

So - if it ain't on tv, and it ain't in Blockbuster - online rental is my last resort, and who ever has the title gets my business.

Other than that, I've been pretty pleased with the service. Quick shipping time is a definite plus - and I've only had a few discs that wouldn't play - with you guys always sending out a replacement one fairly quickly.

Cheers!
Old 10-23-01, 06:48 PM

One thing that I'll say first that gets me a bit upset is all the comparisons to brick and mortar stores and availability.
I don't think anyone seriously expects you to provide B&M type availability. I'm willing to cut you a lot of slack for the convenience and prices you provide. Your 7 week hypothetical figure to see a new release that I could see within the first week at a B&M, is actually quite acceptable to me (although not to others on this list), as long as you can send me other titles reasonably high on my wishlist in the interim. But the thing is it's starting to look worse than 2 months. I happily rented from Netflix for a year, until I started waiting 4+ months to see some films at the top of my queue, and they started sending me items way down the list + with long shipping delays. That made me jump ship to RMD, and you were great the first few months. Now, RMD is still shipping on time, so I'll stick it out awhile, but if you don't improve availability of my top picks I'll end up back at the B&M.

There's also the fact that browsing shelves - no matter how we design the site - is infinitely easier and more satisfying than browsing online. The truth, though, is that we have so very much that is sitting here waiting to be rented - would be rented if it were seen - that it pains me.
This just isn't true in my case. Things at Netflix got so bad at one point that I basically browsed through a list of every film they carried and added everything I remotely wanted to see to my queue. I polished off nearly every old DVD I wanted and finished it off after switching to RMD. The stuff you have sitting -- either I've already seen it or have no wish to see it.

StephenTu above says he gets 1/2, worse case 1/3, availability on older titles he wants to see at Video Store. The only honest question I have is if StephenTu goes to the store with a list or if he just peruses the shelves (as I do and as 99% of renters do) until he sees something and remembers that he had, at one time or another, wanted to pick that title up.
When I used to go to B&Ms I usually went with an idea of 5 or 6 films I'd been meaning to see, and went with the full expectation of finding 2 of them in stock, and usually my top picks at that. Now I go to your virtual aisles with a list of 20 films and come up 0/20 -- that's not good. I'd be OK with 2/10. I'd gripe but probably stay with 2/14. But 0/20 will drive me back to B&M.

This sounds like a challenge. I'll bring my wishlist to a big chain and a Mom&Pop I used to frequent and take some statistics on availability.
Old 10-23-01, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Matt,

I've stepped away for a bit from rentmydvd.com. Everything that I told you as plain as day would happen. Wishlists all out of stock, no title to ship etc etc.... Lately it has been getting worse. Instead of griping about b&m and availability do something about your available stock. Give people credit in a monetary value when nothing ships for them. I'm sure you know what your break through dollar amount is and what you can possibly credit perday. If you did this I wouldn't bitch at all. For you do know that days of giving another free rental due to an issue are almost over due to lack of stock.

Your stock the last 2 months was putrid. We gave you ideas as far as exception reports and other things to possibly help and it seems like they went through one ear and out the other. Also another disheartening fact is that your on this board less and less and your not hearing your customers like before. Right now your between a rock and a hard place.

So when someone says that rentmydvd.com stock isn't sufficient to their needs whose fault is that. Supply and demand needs have to be met. IMHO it appears that your ratio of available stock to customer demands has worsen these last 2 months. It also appears that your not doing anything about it. Except gripe.

All I can say is why were we able to get more in stock items a few months ago as opposed to now. Why don't you talk to your purchasing department.

Excuse me Mr. Purchaser Agent..... Our customer base has grown over the past 2 months could you please order more titles do to increased customer base. If you want give me the number and I'll call the person whose doing an inadequate job. When I see whats going on. I think 1 of 2 things. Either rentmydvd.com is a bunch of idiots or they are purposely not ordering enough stock to meet demands.

Before I quit it reminded me of Bally's Scandinavia a national recreational gym here in Pittsburgh. They couldn't give a rats booty about their customers. Their only interests even to this day is to increase their customer base and slam all the cattle into their facilities. Which resulted in long waits, being cramped, etc etc. Unless you went during a less crowded time. rentmydvd.com the way its going now wants its customers to wait forever for titles. because it can't gauge the fact that as your customer base grows your inventory must match those needs.

Steve
Old 10-29-01, 06:08 AM

I had hoped this day would not come, but once my current month that I have been billed for is finished, I'm going to cancel my RMD membership.

I'm doing this for two primary reasons:

1. Out of Stock titles has become a serious problem. I left netflix because of this and now the same exact thing is happening here.

2. Longer mailing times are becoming more common. I suspect this may be related to the overall issues with the mail system due to the anthrax threat, but nevertheless, it reduces the number I can receive in one month.

It was nice while it lasted.
Old 10-29-01, 09:30 AM
Cool New Member

I had hoped this day would not come, but once my current month that I have been billed for is finished, I'm going to cancel my RMD membership.

Add me to the list. Same problem. Lately, I rented more titles at local Blockbuster than at RMD. High demand for 23 out of 25.
Old 10-29-01, 10:06 AM

I have to go too. It is obvious RMD no longer buys enough copies to even remotely meet demand.
Old 10-29-01, 12:22 PM
Cool New Member

Unfortunately, this is my last month as well.
Old 11-01-01, 01:50 PM

14 Days Later.....

Hello everyone. Sorry it has been so long; I've been digesting the comments and feedback and weighing my response. Mainly I've been raising my eyebrows at some of the posts over the last two weeks because it seems like something is going horribly wrong in this thread.
Now I'm not talking about those of you that will be leaving Rentmydvd because of the availability issue. All I can say to you good people is that I am sorry it has come to this. The bottom line is that I would love it if you would stay and I can tell you that we are increasing our purchasing - but the simple fact is that you aren't going to believe it untill you see it; all I ask is that you check the site from time to time to see how we are doing.
No, I raise my eyebrows and then furrow them because nobody seemed to want to give any feedback on the question I posed in my last post: what to do and when regarding "empty" accounts. It's no big deal (not getting feedback), of course, but I just don't get why. My last post wasn't a gripe and I wasn't complaining; anyone that thinks I was should re-read it.
Stanbud has a point when he states that the online model may actually be the source of the problem regarding new releases; however, I do not personally think that it is an insurmountable situation - it's all about simply buying more copies. Yaright has a point, too, in that there are other ways to control inventory of new releases; but the key, as Yaright knows and states, is to keep it simple. So, being that we are not a stupid company, we are buying more copies of movies. Simple.
Of course HepDude has an obvious solution; but it really isn't a solution at all. The simple fact is that renters want new releases AND other stuff. Some want just one, some want just the other, but most want both. BTW, Legend of Drunken Master was an issue two or three months ago and has been readily available in both locations since. This is true, too, for other similar titles that our exception file programs have churned-out for us: older, popular titles that are in demand are being brought in or have already been brought in to satisfy our customers' desire for them.
When I wrote my last post and mentioned being "steamed" about comparrisons to B&Ms my point there, and in previous posts of the same sort, is that shopping online is different than shopping in a B&M. Period. As John-In-VA brings up, I still like to cruise my local video store for that last-minute rental on a boring Friday night or whenever, and I find that if that-which-I-came-to-get isn't in, I can always find something I want that I wasn't thinking about when I walked in the door. Of course I am sure it would be different if I lived in Newport (apparently it's a renter's paradise), but even when my first choices are rented-out, I don't think I've ever left a video store being dissatisfied.
And therein lies our current problem. I don't like to see all this dissatisfation, especially in the Rentmydvd faithfull. If I personally had all the power and control over this company I'd stop listening to everyone but forum posters and then we'd get somewhere - I simply don't have that power. So the problem is availability on our part (which we are trying very hard to fix) and then it's also how to browse for other titles (which further helps with availability) and we are working on this too.
I really and truly appreciate the posts above from Loganmax and prosez; they remind me of one good thing in all of this: availability is the problem. I of course understand that every other factor of the business and the business model plays into availability; however, it is good to know that satisfaction can still be had. There are other issues, to be sure, but there is only one current (huge, daunting, etc...) problem and it's a problem that I think can be solved.

'Till the next post,

-Matt
Old 11-01-01, 04:13 PM

"5) Customer's Wish List contains eight available DVDs; some old, some new, all are listed High Demand. "

I think you have been looking at my wish list.

I have been using RMD to supplement Netflix. Your selection isn't as good for back-catalog titles, but tends to be better for newer releases of hard-to-find titles, such as the Criterion Jaques Tati films, which Netflix doesn't even carry.

My personal recommendation to the problem above is that you need to provide customers more control over how you respond to their wishlist. All online rental companies have a fairly inflexible rental policy. At Netflix, if the top film is out of stock, they wait a couple days for it come in before shipping an alternative. I like this, as it increases the chance that I will get my top film, but other folks hate it. The problem is that Netflix really doesn't give you a choice either. They automatically opt to delay shipment. You guys, on the other hand, automatically opt to ship out any available film on the list, even if it is very low ranked, rather than delay a shipment.

What I want is choice. Please give me an option where I can say "Wait X days for any of these films to come in before giving up and shipping me the first available title". Some of us would choose to wait a couple days for their top film. Others wouldn't. But they would all have the choice.

Additionally, you could implement that reservation system I thought you used to talk about. In preference to paying $14 a month, why not give me the chance to reserve a high demand disk, and pay a premium rental price ($5-6) for it when my turn comes up.

Another option would be to credit the customer back for any turnaround delays that aren't his fault. I pay $14 per month right now for 2 DVDs per month. That is about 25 cents per DVD per day. If you credited me back 25 cents for every complete day where you couldn't get a disk out to me, I suspect many of your customer service complaints would vanish. What people resent is paying for films they aren't getting. If they weren't paying during that time, they probably wouldn't mind as much.

As far as *why* the film is out of stock, I don't see why that enters into it. Whether the film is a hot new release, an old out of print title, or just very popular, doesn't change the fact that you aren't incurring many costs to service the customer. You aren't shipping, so no postage and handling expenses, and there is no inventory reduction. Sure, you deserve some compensation for your computer programs that check the system and allocate existing inventory, so make it a 15 or 20 cent credit instead.

Hopefully, you could still make money this way. But either way, I really don't think that the "make money by constantly churning low demand films because high demand films are out of stock" business model is going to work forever. It doesn't matter what store I rent from, b&m or online: If I am constantly settling for a movie that I have only slight interest in, I go somewhere else.

I appreciate the challenges of your business model, and don't envy you your difficulties. But the online rental companies are going to have come up with a way of getting high demand films to their customers, or they won't make it.

I am surprised more of you guys haven't gone for niche marketing. I can get new releases anywhere, but I can't find a single copy of Police Story II for rent anywhere in the country. A company that was well-stocked in foreign imports, Criterions, and out of print films picked up on Ebay would be guaranteed my business, even if they charged twice as much per film. Most big cities have several independent stores that fill this niche. I don't understand why they don't exist on the Internet where the potential market is national or international.
Old 11-02-01, 01:21 AM
nntu

Looks like there are more anime titles available now, but there's still a lot of series which are missing a volume or two. Why are there so many marked as N/A? Are people just not returning these discs?
Old 11-02-01, 01:54 PM

Matt,

Sure it would be nice to get an extra movie for empty days/delayed titles etc. But it sounds like it's 1) a system that can easily be abused 2) gonna be a real pain for you guys to implement.

Having said that, the slow mail has been reducing the number of titles per month that people can watch....
Old 11-02-01, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm having similar problems...films mailed on Monday don't arrive for me until that Saturday or even the next Monday! And I live in NYC. I don't think this is rentmydvd's fault....but it does impace my enjoyment.

Having said that, I've found the folks at rentmydvd to be tres helpful and nice. That goes along way.

MATT,

Lemme ask you something. What portion (if you know) of your business is die hard, crazy-anal DVD watchers (present company included) vs the casual renter (who might not be watching the caldendar as carefully as we do)?

I always wonder that about business likes yours...

Similarly, with toy collecting, Hasbro says that despite the loyalty of their adult Star Wars toys fans, their most profitable group are young kids....
Old 11-03-01, 03:15 PM

It seems to me that a relatively small amount of effort could produce a computer program that would simply tabulate everything that was on the Wish Lists of all the RMD members, and then list them along with the number of Wish Lists the item was on, and then the number of copies owned by RMD.

Using an entirely randomly chosen example (first film title that popped into my mind, I have no idea of the actual demand or stock for this title):

Terminator 2 24 Wish Lists 2 copies NY 1 copy SF

Then at a glance, RMD could tell instantly where they need more stock, instead of guessing.

This would go a long way towards having high customer satisfaction.

Time and energy should be put into things like this, instead of pointless contests.

PS I must say that in these days of just-in-time computerized inventory, I'm frustrated by the high percentage of times that I simply cannot give my money to retailers - because the item is out-of-stock. My local supermarket uses checkout bar code readers that tell them exactly what people are buying, but that doesn't prevent them from not stocking what people buy. Chocolate ice cream is consistently out-of-stock, while mint-peanut-butter-bubblegum is always there.
Old 11-04-01, 01:37 AM

Hey matt,

Any chance of RMD getting the following movies:

- The Imax movie about beavers?
- Fireplace, Visions of Tranquility? (ya i know it sounds stupid)
- Aquaria, The Natural Aquarium?

Thanks,

jason
Old 11-06-01, 12:41 PM

Rental Alternative?

As anyone considered a place like DVDOvernight.com, where you're not tied down to a monthly fee and only pay for what you rent without any shipping charges? They also run into the stock issue with new releases, but it seems less frustrating because you're not waiting around weeks for your wish list to be filled. You just select what you want if you see it available and they ship it out.
Old 11-06-01, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
I've got no particular beef with DVD Overnight, but let's not buy into this "no shipping charge" stuff. They raised their rental price by a dollar, -used to be $3, now its $4, -before they dropped the "shipping charge". The advantage of the current system is that you don't have to rent three-four titles to get the most out of their standard shipping charge (used to be a blanket $3 for up to four titles). Still, its no worse than the chain stores...
Old 11-07-01, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Contacting Customer Service

Looks like rentmydvd.com changed/eliminate the way to contact customer service. Used to be a direct email link on their web site that would send the question to right department. That's gone.

Are we supposed to ask question through the FAQ area? But that only seems to be if you have a FAQ question.

And does that Delayed in Mail function actually do anything?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.