Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

RentmyDVD.com Inc. More Feedbacks. Please let us know

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

RentmyDVD.com Inc. More Feedbacks. Please let us know

Old 08-27-01, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some rental stores use cardboard mailers - one for all parts, and another for just the reused portion.

On the other hand, Netflix just uses paper, but I've never had a defective disk from them and I've had two from RMD.
Old 08-27-01, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

it seems like the turnaround time has slowed down some in the past few months...not 100% sure but it feels that way. also, for the past month i've had 7 out of 10 titles on my wishlist out of stock...it seems like some of them have been out of stock forever.
Old 08-30-01, 03:09 PM

Weekly Rentmydvd Fireside Chat

Hello everyone and welcome to this week's edition of "Matt Chat," wherein we will learn that things are improving on many fronts here at Rentmydvd. First, I will tend to some posts:

sm8680-

Your assumptions about how Wish Lists are processed are incorrect. At no point is the popularity of titles on your list taken into account - it is simply availability and priority. If New York has, for simple math's sake, one copy of 'Thirteen Days' available and five people have 'Thirteen Days' at the top of their lists and those people also each have one available rental to be shipped, well, only one person is going to get 'Thirteen Days' and the other four are going to get the next available item on their list. The thing that I see concerning your account is this: your posts here are usually the same complaint and I, being the curious sort, check your Wish List to see what is going on. You usually carry a Wish List of about ten titles that are all less than six weeks old and one to five that are coming soon. Your complaint is usually that you are getting items from the "bottom" of your list - even though that usually means that you are getting items in your top ten. Since I rarely see any items older than two months on your List I must assume that you are getting the titles that you want.

John-in-VA-

It truly was one of the strangest situations I have seen thus far; let me know if things have returned to normal as I think they have.

HepDude-

Although I can't remember saying that separate items in disc sets were not available through distribution channels; I think I probably said something about set 1 not being available while set 2 was; however, I could be wrong. The fact is that I have not yet found anyone that sells individual discs of most anime disc sets - we have to buy the whole set to make up for a lost or broken individual.

Everybody-

On breakage, dirty discs, and shipping times..............

Dirty discs is on us and I apologize for it. I am not sure what some of our customers do with these discs but the simple fact is that our Quality Control levels are in a pitiful state. This will soon be improved. We have machinery which we have been testing on the West Coast for about three weeks. Now satisfied with the quality of the cleaning and final product we have shipped similar machinery to New Jersey and by next week everything should clear-up (pun intended). Broken discs are another matter and so, for that matter, are shipping times. While I wait and hope for zip +4 implementation on outgoing orders and other shipping helpers the fact remains that according to our USPS sources we are doing everything that they want us to do. Breakage on items other than those that are prone to breakage ("Unbreakable," "The Mexican," "Nurse Betty," and "The Emperor's New Groove" are the most problematic at present) is low and within expected limits. The envelope is serving its purpose (although the current model is a bridge while we wait for a new one which is now a week late - actually while I was writing that last sentence I decided to call our vendor and it's now to be two weeks late) and, anyway, the shipping logistics are in place and should be at their peak in a few weeks' time.
All in all things are progressing steadily with improvements being made all the time.

Talk to you next week.

-Matt
Old 08-30-01, 07:16 PM
Cool New Member

6 out?

Any word on when and how much?
Old 08-30-01, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Matt,

My complaints are valid. Your going to soon get a point if you don't handle the stock appropriately where titles won't ship for certain requests. Not enough stock lately. Sometimes waiting month or months for a certain title. Slow shipment to and from at times. Thirteen Days shouldn't be out of stock this long.

Every title in my wish list other than 2 to be released soon are out of stock now. I will be adding some more titles to my wish list this weekend.

This week I received bottom of the wish list selections again. If I didn't have a valid complaint. I simply wouldn't be posting in this board.

Steve
Old 09-04-01, 02:37 AM

HepDude-

Although I can't remember saying that separate items in disc sets were not available through distribution channels; I think I probably said something about set 1 not being available while set 2 was; however, I could be wrong. The fact is that I have not yet found anyone that sells individual discs of most anime disc sets - we have to buy the whole set to make up for a lost or broken individual.
I'm not talking about boxed sets (although some of these are also available in boxed sets) - I'm talking about multiple disk series.

A good example is "Neon Genesis Evangelion", probably the most popular anime series of all. There are 8 disks, all individual releases. You have disks 2 and 5, and 5 is out all the time.

This is true of all your anime series. (This was discussed early in the original RMD thread).
Old 09-05-01, 12:03 AM

Why do all movies have Dolby Digital 5.1 listed as the sound?? Look under the dvd details part.
Old 09-06-01, 03:19 PM
Cool New Member

No security

I emailed Rentmydvd.com directly about 7 months ago concerning the security on their website.

Even if you log off, anyone can still access your account by simply choosing URL that the customer previously used from either History menu or Address toolbar.

Secondly, customer's information is exposed, ANYONE can change the plan that you are using.

Come on, the least you can do is request re-login for personal info. Otherwise it seems to me that you don't really care about your customers' privacy.
Old 09-06-01, 11:12 PM

A Week of Valid Points from the Faithful

Hey Everybody. I was sitting here reading the previous posts and it occured to me that one of the problems that I'm facing is the fact that a lot of things get put in everyone's "to do" box but then we end-up doing triage and some things are more important than others and - and this certainly isn't to say that the last four posts aren't valid; they are valid -- some things just get lost in the shuffle.

sm8680-

Your point is valid and duly noted. I can appreciate your position and we really are working on these problems.

HepDude-

A while back I was complaining to one of our distributors about this problem - mainly because our purchasing staff is small and no one in any department is really an anime fan - and I was told that this distributor had "the best anime fans" working for them. They were going to put together a list and a packet, etc.. with recommendations and whatnot - long story short the stuff just never materialized. I get back on the phone with that distributor and see what can be done.

MPSAN-

Really soon and really cheap.

Actually, I remember being really excited when the powers that be told me they were days away from doing something about this... that was months ago. I'll bring it up once again.

jason978-

It's not all the movies, it's the movies that claim Dolby 5.1 or don't specify. It's a database thing that probably needs cleaning. I'll make sure that it is looked into.

Plohish-

When changes are made you get an e-mail verification; however, this is, to me, a security problem. I have already discussed this with two higher-ups and questioned why this has yet to be taken care of. They were enthusiastic; so hopefully something will soon change.

Thanks everybody, talk to you next week.

-Matt
Old 09-07-01, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this is getting a little old. 8 out of 10 discs on my wish list have been out of stock for over a month.
Old 09-10-01, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ok, here's a suggestion. how about printing "do not bend" or "fragile" somewhere on the mailers? i just got home to find 2 dvd mailers stuffed into my tiny apartment mailbox along with several magazines, bills, and other junk mail. sometimes the postal worker leaves delicate items on the table besides the mailboxes, and i bet he might be more inclined to do so if the mailers were actually marked as such. now i have to put a pile of books on the dvds so they will flatten out.
Old 09-12-01, 06:20 PM

TINY MAIL BOX OWNERS...what do you do about getting your disks in the mail from Rentmydvd.com?
Old 09-17-01, 12:46 AM

Time to chime in again...

I want to echo HepDude's concern about the Anime series lack of availability. I read your response that you are working on it again, but it has been literally months since the Anime fans first brought this up, and very little has been done. I still have about 20 titles on my wishlist that have been there since at least April, and are now marked N/A on your master Anime list -- but I leave them on my wish list so that you can see there is a desire for someone to rent them.

You may have few Anime fans on board at RMDVD, but rest assured there are a lot of fans out here that would welcome the availability of entire series so we can view a series from start to finish. The other good thing about series, is that we'll re-watch them again and again since there's so much more to absorb than watching single movies.

With the amount of available DVD titles on my wish list growing smaller and smaller month by month along with the lack of action on getting in the Anime titles I'm itching to watch, I am just about at the same position I was in the weeks before I bagged Netflix. If I could just see some progress on the completion of series like Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, Bubblegum Crisis 2040, Trigun, Cardcaptor Sakura, Serial Experiments Lain, Sakura Diaries, Escaflowne, Outlaw Star etc., etc., etc. I would feel much better about maintaining my tenure as a RMDVD customer.

Jeff

Last edited by jriems; 09-17-01 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-19-01, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where does the Rentmydvd Rating for each movie come from (ie. 3 stars, 4 stars, etc)?
Old 09-19-01, 08:44 PM

Hello Again

Not much to say about general comments today, but here's some specifics for you:

broadwayblue-

We tried marking the packages "Do Not Bend" in several locations; we ended-up just wasting time and ink. I would love to say that the USPS is a kind and gentle entity, and they do do a great job, but, well, OK, you get the point. As far as your eight of ten goes, we have been using our exception files and purchasing and etc..; shoot customer service an e-mail and have them look at your list individually.

FilmStudent-

You'll have to get your answer from your forum brothers and sisters. I have a large mailbox.

jriems-

What I love is the hundreds of anime fans that say "I'm not alone. There must be a demand for these titles." The fact is that there is a demand. We are finishing-up a relationship with a strictly anime dealer and will soon have more titles, better availability, etc... You have my word that it will get better; when I have a better time line I will post it here.

jeraden-

Our star system depends. Overall, it is an average rating from various sources and our own editor's team input. The system tends more towards the film itself as opposed to the DVD-specific version but exceptions are made for some editions that truly shine on DVD.

Thanks for the input everybody and keep on keeping on. I'll be back here next week.

-Matt
Old 09-20-01, 10:37 AM
Cool New Member

I'd just like to know why "Suspiria" isn't available. I've heard plenty of good things about it and would like to check it out.
Old 09-20-01, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Speaking of Suspiria (which I too wanted to rent but saw it as N/A), is there any way to request you get in a specific title you don't carry? I'd suggest just making the N/A a link where it takes you to a page you can submit to request the movie. Then when you get enough interest you can order some copies of the movie (depending on the interest).

Suspiria is a new release so maybe you just haven't gotten it in yet, but there are a few older releases that you don't carry but have listed as N/A that I'd be interested in renting.
Old 09-20-01, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One Out Plan?

I love DVDS, I am my title, and I'm also a new father.

This puts me in a tough place, as I don't have time to watch many DVDs right now, but I would love to rent a DVD without having to go to a rental store.

I don't see myself really needing 2 out at a time, and I don't want to pay for a privilege that I don't need.

Can you put together a 'one out' plan for folks like me?

Pleeeeeeeze?

DVDBarn has a 1 out plan, but their selection is pretty slim, and I'd not heard of 'em or heard anyone here mention 'em before.
Old 09-21-01, 03:24 PM

Matt-

Is it possible to use a shipping address that has multiple address lines? When I tried to sign up there was only one box for the address line. I have all my packages shipped to my work address which is 3 lines long. Would this be possible if I called your Customer Service number and signed up over the phone?
Old 09-27-01, 07:25 PM

On More Stuff In the Works

MPSAN & OTHERS-

6-out Plan will be offered on or before November 1st. I am sorry it took so long.....

ANIME FANS-

Large anime shipment will be coming in on or before November 1st. You have exactly one day on this forum ('til Friday 9/28 at about noon) for your requests to be considered - jriems, I already have your requests from above.

efran and CheapBastid-

I am afraid that "Suspiria" is an Anchor Bay title. Anchor Bay is a studio that has a, in my mind at least, great catalog and a great library. Unfortunately Anchor Bay DVDs last about 15 minutes inside a mailing package before they turn to little shards of plastic and foil. One of the things that has amazed me in this business is the difference in DVD durability from different duplicators; Anchor Bay - and whichever duplication service they are using - is by far the lowest physical quality available for our purposes. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to put either company down, I am just saying that their product is wholly incompatible with our service, which really stinks because Anchor Bay has a great library. But when we end-up blowing through huge stocks of inventory on titles like "Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!" and "Heathers" we start realizing that there is just no way that we can continue to offer these titles. Sorry.....

CheapBastid-

HepDude and I talked about the 1-out plan before and I have to admit that I was conviced (and still am); however, no one that makes the decisions about such things thinks it is a good idea. The whole point of having the Regular User account types is for one-at-a-time rentals, or so the argument goes, and so I do not think it is going to happen.

jpalm-

We are working on changing the address lines and sign-up stuff but for now there is just no way (even if you call-in) that we can fit that much stuff on the address line. Most of our customers put things in parenthesis, etc.. to try and make it fit; but the fact is that in most situations you do not need to do this kind of thing. If you go to the USPS website (www.usps.gov ) use the "find zip codes" link and enter your long address, the site will standardize it and give you the information that you need to have on a mailing envelope for delivery.

That's about it this week, everyone. Talk to you soon...

-Matt
Old 09-28-01, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: On More Stuff In the Works

Originally posted by RMDInc
HepDude and I talked about the 1-out plan before and I have to admit that I was conviced (and still am); however, no one that makes the decisions about such things thinks it is a good idea. The whole point of having the Regular User account types is for one-at-a-time rentals, or so the argument goes, and so I do not think it is going to happen.
Yes, but at $3.50 a rental it is no deal in my (and others') book.

Like I said, there is another company that already has a 1-out deal, so it is not an unprecedented offering.

I would like to support your company, as I value and respect the fact that you started these threads here. I've recommended you to several people who ended up switching from NetFlix. I bemoan the fact that I can't personally support you with my $$ (as it doesn't make financial sense to do so in my current position).
Old 10-01-01, 10:24 AM

Re: On More Stuff In the Works

Originally posted by RMDInc
I just wanted to echo Cheap's request. I match his self-description (OK, maybe not the "Cheap" part) and also would appreciate the opportunity to have a one-out plan. I don't have that much time to watch DVDs, and I also don't necessarily have 2-hour chunks of time I can count on -- I watch movies (and supplements) often in bits and pieces. As a result, $3.50 per week for a movie is no bargain because it might take me more than a week to watch a movie and its supplements.

I'm willing to pay, say, $8.99 or $9.99 per month for the privilege of seeing maybe two movies per month because your selection is still vastly superior to the Hollywood Video's and Blockbuster's selection right down the street. Now as Blockbuster (and others) expand their DVD selection, that advantage you have may disappear. Wouldn't it be better to get me as a paying customer now?

It would also be nice to have some sort of Wish List. With regular rentals, that feature is unavailable.

From a business perspective, I don't think people who would sign up for a one-out plan are your current 2-out customers -- I think they would add to your customer base. My guess is that one-out customers also aren't going to try to "max out" their month of rentals by watching it the night they get the movie and shipping it back in. Rather, they're more likely to only rent 2-4 movies per month (on average, at least). I would guess that at $8.99 or $9.99 per month, 4 movies per month makes money for you.

I realize I may be preaching to the choir here, but I just wanted to suggest a couple lines of arguments (you may or may not have already used) to persuade others. Thanks for listening -- your presence here has convinced me that if/when I go the Internet rental route, RentMyDVD will get my business.
Old 10-01-01, 02:59 PM

More on 1-out

Right now, all of the TV series are starting up again, as are all of the fall sports (plus the baseball playoffs).

As a result, speaking of my own personal situation - which many people may share - I suddenly have much fewer hours for watching DVD movies - at least in the short term.

Over the summer, with repeats and baseball as the only sports, I subscribed to both Netflix and RMD. Right now, I'm almost positive that I'm going to have drop both Netflix and RMD for a few months, until there are repeats again.

However, I could probably sustain a 1-out subscription from one of you. If it is priced at more than 50% of 2-out (e.g. $7.95), it seems to be a win-win situation.

Previously, when I brought up the fact that your single-item price including shipping was higher than all of the other rental sites, the response was that you weren't concerned, because the Wish List membership was much more cost effective anyway.

SO, that negates "well, we do offer single-item renting" as a counter argument to requests for "1-out". You can't have it both ways.

Either you need to lower your single-time rental price to equal the other rental sites (which works out to $3.50 with shipping included), or else you need to add a "1-out".

Personally, I would prefer the "1-out" because during this period with lots of TV to watch, I don't want to have to fit in a DVD just because it is "due" in a week. So, this echoes the argument of the preceding person, that "1-out" people are going to be checking out less than half the DVDs of "2-out" people, and if you charge more than 50% (ie $7.95), RMD comes out ahead as well.

Last edited by HepDude; 10-01-01 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-01-01, 07:55 PM

ANIME FANS-

Large anime shipment will be coming in on or before November 1st. You have exactly one day on this forum ('til Friday 9/28 at about noon) for your requests to be considered
Drat - the one day I don't check this forum, something important is posted.

Well, here is what I would have requested, in case the order was delayed, or better yet, to start a list for the next order - which reminds me, if you only order once for these genres, that's a big problem as well. By the way, this includes some movies and series that I have seen, so it is recommendations as well as requests (most of these are on your web site with n/a markings, some even have one or two disks in the series, eg Volume 3 and 5). Some of the series are available both in mutiple disk sets and in individually packaged disks as well:

- Akira
- Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise
- Neon Genesis Evangelion (8 disk series)
- Serial Experiment Lain (4 disk series)
- Visions of Escaflowne (8 disk series)
- Perfect Blue
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Princess Mononoke
- Ninja Scroll
- Macross Plus (2 disk series)
- Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 (6 disk series, IIRC)
- Ghost in the Shell

Beyond that are some series that have a lot of Japanese cultural references, and are difficult and obscure for Americans, like "Ranma" and "Tenchi", that can wait for later.

I'd be interested in knowing which of the above you did order.
Old 10-02-01, 06:15 PM

In addition to HepDude's list, these are other "must haves":
- Cowboy Bebop (6 disk series)
- Trigun (8 disk series)

I see you have part of Trigun already.

Since I just quit Netflix because they stopped buying the new anime releases last Spring, I'm following this thread waiting for the day I see a reason to join rentmydvd.

Series that would make be bite:
Magic Users Club (3 disk OVA + 3 disk TV)
Crest of the Stars (4 disk)
St Tail (?)

and any of the new series being released that has "buzz". The friendly folks in the Retail forum of animeondvd.com would have more suggestions for you.

Watching and waiting...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.