Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Taylor Hawkins of The Foo Fighters dead at 50

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Taylor Hawkins of The Foo Fighters dead at 50

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-22, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Taylor Hawkins of The Foo Fighters dead at 50

I wonder how this changes the band going forward. I know that Hawkins and Grohl were close, and Hawkins was the longest standing member. I wonder if they’ll take a lengthy break or if they’ll carry forward or what. Hopefully they don’t break up.
Old 03-29-22, 05:18 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I wonder how this changes the band going forward. I know that Hawkins and Grohl were close, and Hawkins was the longest standing member. I wonder if they’ll take a lengthy break or if they’ll carry forward or what. Hopefully they don’t break up.
I smell a rotating cadre of famous drummers from other bands, at least for while.
Old 03-29-22, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts

My guess is they're done.
Old 03-30-22, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

...I know that Hawkins and Grohl were close, and Hawkins was the longest standing member.
Incorrect, Nate is the longest standing member (Only OG member left)
Old 03-30-22, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Incorrect, Nate is the longest standing member (Only OG member left)
My mistake. I thought he was one of the guys who left for a while.
Old 03-30-22, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I don't think Grohl can live a life without performing or playing music and it would be hard to start or create another new band.
Old 04-01-22, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I don't think Grohl can live a life without performing or playing music and it would be hard to start or create another new band.
I mean, he has done that multiple times, as recently as 6 days ago.
Old 04-01-22, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m pretty sure he meant longer term.. I can kind of agree with thinking that Grohl is the type that wants to be creative in some capacity. Who knows though. I feel like this passing hit hard and it may be a while.
Old 04-01-22, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,204 Likes on 4,231 Posts

As good a place as any for this :
Old 06-08-22, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Foo Fighters Announce Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concerts

Organized in conjunction with Hawkins’ family, the shows will feature performances from the late drummer’s peers and idols

Evan MinskerJun 8 2022

Foo Fighters and the Hawkins family have announced two Taylor Hawkins tribute concerts. The shows commemorating the band’s late drummer are set to take place September 3 at London’s Wembley Stadium and September 27 at Los Angeles’ Kia Forum. The announcement promises performances from Hawkins’ peers and idols, with the lineup to be announced at a future date.

Ahead of the concerts, Hawkins’ wife Alison released a statement for the first time since the musician’s death:

My deepest thanks and admiration go out to the global Foo Fighters community and Taylor’s fans far and wide for the outpouring of love each and every one of you have shown our beloved Taylor. Your kindness has been an invaluable comfort for my family and me during this time of unimaginable grief.

As Taylor’s wife, and on behalf of our children, I want to share how much you meant to him and how dedicated he was to “knocking your socks off” during every performance. Taylor was honored to be a part of the Foo Fighters and valued his dream role in the band every minute of his 25 years with them. We consider every band member and the extended Foo Fighters team our family.

Taylor’s endearing spirit and deep love of music will live on forever through the collaborations he so enjoyed having with other musicians and the catalog of songs he contributed to and created.

In celebration of his life, it is now up to all of us who loved him most to honor Taylor’s legacy and the music he gave us.

Thank you all again for your love and sympathy. Taylor loved all of you & we love you too.

With gratitude,
Alison Hawkins

Hawkins died in March at age 50. He was on the road with Foo Fighters at the time in Bogotá, Colombia, ahead of a scheduled performance at Festival Estéreo Picnic. An official cause of death is still pending. Hawkins’ friends, including Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Chad Smith and Pearl Jam’s Matt Cameron, recently spoke about Hawkins’ final days (and later apologized for speaking).
https://pitchfork.com/news/foo-fight...-concerts/amp/
Old 06-08-22, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Old 06-21-22, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I live 35 miles from the Forum, got shut out both days (Presale, General sale) but scored tickets for London!

Anyone else going?
Old 08-17-22, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Foo Fighters’ Taylor Hawkins Tribute Show to Livestream on Paramount+

The London concert will include performances from members of Queen, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Queens of the Stone Age, Oasis, and more

Rob ArcandAug 17 2022

In June, Foo Fighters announced that they were working with the Hawkins family to organize tribute concerts for the late Taylor Hawkins. Today (August 17), Paramount+ has announced that it is partnering with Foo Fighters and the Hawkins family to bring the first of two tribute events to viewers.

The first concert will take place at London’s Wembley Stadium on September 3. Paramount will broadcast the event live on Paramount+ in the U.S., on Pluto TV internationally, and on MTV’s YouTube channels. The concert will also be available on-demand via Paramount+ starting September 3, with streaming options available on Pluto TV and MTV on-demand beginning the week of September 5.

The first event will feature performances from Liam Gallagher, Josh Homme, Travis Barker, Chrissie Hyde, Queen’s Brian May and Roger Taylor, Rush’s Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson, Supergrass, Mark Ronson, Led Zeppelin’s John Paul Jones, and more. Metallica‘s Lars Ulrich, Blink-182‘s Travis Barker, AC/DC’s Brian Johnson, Kesha, and Dave Grohl‘s daughter Violet have also been added to the lineup. Proceeds from the September 3 concert will go to two charities chosen by the Hawkins family: Music Support and MusiCares. The London concert will be followed by another tribute concert at Los Angeles’ Kia Forum on September 27.

“Music is a powerful connector and we are honored to commemorate Taylor Hawkins’ enduring legacy,” Paramount CEO Bob Bakish shared in a statement. “From our broad mix of platforms to the universal strength of our brands, Paramount is uniquely positioned to maximize the reach and impact of content worldwide, and we look forward to sharing this meaningful music experience with audiences across every touchpoint.”

Hawkins died in March while on tour with Foo Fighters in Bogotá, Colombia. His cause of is still pending. He was 50 years old. In the days following his death, Hawkins’ friends Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers) and Matt Cameron (Pearl Jam) discussed his final days. Both friends later apologized for the quotes they gave in the interview.
https://pitchfork.com/news/foo-fight...paramount/amp/
Old 08-17-22, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

This probably shouldn’t be my takeaway, but Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson are performing?????? Who’s drumming?????????? I really hope it’s not Dave.
Old 08-17-22, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
This probably shouldn’t be my takeaway, but Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson are performing?????? Who’s drumming?????????? I really hope it’s not Dave.
Lars?
The following users liked this post:
Hazel Motes (08-17-22)
Old 08-17-22, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And...I scored tickets to Los Angeles today...Latest lineups. Leave for London in 2 weeks!

Old 08-17-22, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Hopefully Them Crooked Vultures play some songs together.
Old 08-19-22, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Hopefully Them Crooked Vultures play some songs together.
I was at Dave's Birthday Show which is probably the closest thing to this show, and it was Foo song/Guest & Guest Song/Foo song. I expect more guests on Foo songs (drummers obv) and more guest songs than Foo songs. There are so many combos of how it could go, it will be interesting.
Old 08-19-22, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Matt Stone
Old 08-20-22, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stewart Copeland or Omar Hakim would be a better fit than Dave. (and I love Dave's drumming)
Old 08-20-22, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Not sure if you saw it, but they did a song (Closer To The Heart) recently at the South Park anniversary concert. There are a couple other YouTube videos of it out there...

The following users liked this post:
andicus (08-21-22)
Old 08-20-22, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Was a cause of death ever released?
Old 08-21-22, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,204 Likes on 4,231 Posts

Originally Posted by hippie68
Was a cause of death ever released?
No official Cause of Death was ever given.
This information dropped shortly after his death :

4:18 PM PT -- 3/26/22 -- Some early information has surfaced as it relates to Taylor Hawkins' death, including the fact he was apparently on a lot of drugs -- this coming from the Attorney General's Office there in Colombia.According to a press release just issued by the Fiscalia General de la Nacion, preliminary results from a urine toxicology test suggests a number of substances were in the drummer's system when he passed ... including traces of marijuana, tricyclic antidepressants, benzodiazepines, opioids ... among others.Colombian officials stop short of saying he OD'd, only saying they're still investigating the official cause of death. They say they'll make their findings available in due time.
Old 08-21-22, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Not sure if you saw it, but they did a song (Closer To The Heart) recently at the South Park anniversary concert. There are a couple other YouTube videos of it out there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q_vIX_MAnI
Wow. I hadn't seen that, or heard about it. It put a smile on my face, and a tear in my eye. Just so weird to see them without Neil.
Old 08-21-22, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Matt Stone probably had to change out his underwear after that.

I hope it’s not Dave just because that would be the story coming out of the show. Dave Grohl drummed for Rush. When really the story is Taylor Hawkins. I don’t know. It would inappropriately take away some of the focus imo.

Last edited by Hazel Motes; 08-21-22 at 04:31 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.