Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Taylor Hawkins of The Foo Fighters dead at 50

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Taylor Hawkins of The Foo Fighters dead at 50

Old 08-21-22, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: Taylor Hawkins of The Foo Fighters dead at 50

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Matt Stone probably had to change out his underwear after that.

I hope it’s not Dave just because that would be the story coming out of the show. Dave Grohl drummed for Rush. When really the story is Taylor Hawkins. I don’t know. It would inappropriately take away some of the focus imo.
Look at the lineup. Violet said on her IG last night she was mainly looking forward to Liam and Paul! So Paul McCartney may drum for Rush. Who knows
Old 08-25-22, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Stewart Copeland or Omar Hakim would be a better fit than Dave. (and I love Dave's drumming)
Called it. Looks like Omar is rehearsing with them.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chrisedge:
[email protected] (08-25-22), andicus (08-25-22)
Old 09-03-22, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 325 Likes on 173 Posts

CBS is airing the Sept 3 concert tonight (9/3) at 10PM ET. It's also on Paramount+ and MTV's YouTube channel.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...us-1235200720/
Old 09-03-22, 03:07 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Pluto has been airing the whole thing live today as well. Some good performances. I was glad to see/hear Brian Johnson singing again.
Old 09-03-22, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 817 Likes on 542 Posts

I missed about half of it I think. I’ll catch a replay later. I found the TCV set on YouTube.
Old 09-03-22, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 325 Likes on 173 Posts

Taylor Hawkins' 16 year old son, Shane, sitting in with his dad's band. Pretty cool.

Last edited by sportsfan64; 09-04-22 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-03-22, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

^Shane absolutely killed it. Definitely got some dust in my eyes.

Sucks that the whole stream is down, now. I was out for a few hours, so was catching up on what I missed. It stopped playing, right after My Hero, so I think I missed Everlong as the finale.

What a great show, though. Can't wait for the LA show. Hopefully there'll be a great 4k release of this.
Old 09-04-22, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

A buddy of mine sent me the YouTube link for the whole 6-hour concert. I only watched the first part with Oasis.

I guess it’s no longer available because you have to have Paramount Plus to watch the whole thing.

Anyone know if it’s up yet on there? MTV and others are gonna air a smaller version of the show
Old 09-04-22, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
A buddy of mine sent me the YouTube link for the whole 6-hour concert. I only watched the first part with Oasis.

I guess it’s no longer available because you have to have Paramount Plus to watch the whole thing.

Anyone know if it’s up yet on there? MTV and others are gonna air a smaller version of the show
A 45 minute version is up. That's it for now.
Old 09-04-22, 07:12 PM

Full concert is up now. 5h 39m.
Old 09-04-22, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Full performance of My Hero on MTV YouTube with Hawkins kid on drums. Damn he’s good.

Old 09-05-22, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

EVH's kid, Wolfie, played at the concert, too

Old 09-07-22, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

It's pretty obvious who taught Shane how to play the drums!
Old 09-07-22, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Shane is a damn good drummer. You can definitely tell that Taylor taught him. The way he played looked just like a mini Taylor Hawkins playing. Awesome job.
Old 09-08-22, 10:56 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Watched the full show on Paramount - skimmed through several parts. Highlights for me were Shane and the young girl (forgot her name?) on drums, along with Wolfgang playing VH, Brian Johnson singing Let There be Rock, Joe Walsh/James Gang and Rush. Geddy's voice isn't what it was but he sounded decent.
Old 09-08-22, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Justin Hawkins from The Darkness and Queen were the highlight for me. Queen should take Justin out on tour as touring vocalist - I would totally go. He can actually hit those high notes over Adam Lambert.
Old 09-08-22, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Damfino
It's pretty obvious who taught Shane how to play the drums!
Originally Posted by Mike86
Shane is a damn good drummer. You can definitely tell that Taylor taught him. The way he played looked just like a mini Taylor Hawkins playing. Awesome job.
He plays WAY more like Dave than Taylor! Dave is a pounder. Taylor plays more like Stewart and Omar.

OK, being there was incredible. We got there around 1pm (I bought merch the day before, 2 hour wait). Gates at 2:30pm and the show started at 4:30pm.

I posted this on FB: (Because of the horrible sound at the back, 3 separate speaker arrays, all hitting in different times, with the cover over the end! ECHO-CITY) Early on (during 3rd or 4th song) we bailed out of our seats and moved into the kinda empty VIP section in the club level on the right side of stadium, looking at the stage. It was the last section we could get to, before the “friends/family” section that was really empty. We sat down and didn’t want to leave since we didn’t have tickets for that area and waited it out. By the time Queen was on, I had to run to bathroom and tested out whether we could get back. Yep, ran out and got back in. (Wife) ran out and got us beers on her bathroom break. While we were in great seats, the VIP and Family sections were the most subdued. They weren’t into AC/DC, nor into rocking out. But the sound was WAY better, and that didn’t stop us from standing and rocking out. Plus they were way closer!

So highlights for me being there? (LOTS) Josh Homme sounded great on Bowie, loved Kesha, Wolfie doing VH songs and Dave totally being a fanboy), Them Crooked Vultures, PRETENDERS!, Brian and Lars, loved that Rush did a more instrumental set, and did I mention Justin Hawkins? He was a highlight and helped carry the stage and I am not familiar nor a previous fan of The Darkness. ALL the guest drummers were great. Glad Nandi did a different song than Everlong this time. Loved the Foo set immensely and you can tell the whole thing was emotional for them. Shane at the end was the best part of the night and Dave doing Everlong solo hit the point home. Where the drum roll normally comes in (of the versions they did last tour), after he sings a good part of alone, was gone and it was a reminder that it's different now.

I did like Josh Freese as a possible replacement for live shows.

Cried a little a the beginning when they came out, more when Dave lost it during Times Like These, and I couldn't stand up watching Shane. I've never felt like that at a concert, but man it was great.

Bought this merch.

My favorite pic!
The following 4 users liked this post by Chrisedge:
[email protected] (09-08-22), Decker (09-08-22), Dvdlovr24 (09-11-22), emanon (09-08-22)
Old 09-08-22, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Watched the full show on Paramount - skimmed through several parts. Highlights for me were Shane and the young girl (forgot her name?) on drums, along with Wolfgang playing VH, Brian Johnson singing Let There be Rock, Joe Walsh/James Gang and Rush. Geddy's voice isn't what it was but he sounded decent.
Nandi Bushell. The kid is great. I saw the video she posted, shot from backstage. She didn't know there were stairs to the drum riser, so she just climbed up on the side. The keyboardist from the Foos was all "WTF?"
Old 09-08-22, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Taylor Hawkins of The Foo Fighters dead at 50mb

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Justin Hawkins from The Darkness and Queen were the highlight for me. Queen should take Justin out on tour as touring vocalist - I would totally go. He can actually hit those high notes over Adam Lambert.
I saw a post from someone that likes Adam Lambert and they even admitted Adam & Queen is more like a theatrical performance and this was more of a rock performance and they should switch it up for a tour or two.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (09-08-22)
Old 09-08-22, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
This. I have posted similar sentiments elsewhere. Hawkins has the presence and vocal chops to do it. Like Freddie, he's bombastic because he just is without needing set pieces and crazy costumes (crown and cape aside, lol). Lambert comes off as trying way to hard to be Freddie.
Why So Blu? (09-08-22)
Old 09-29-22, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 882 Likes on 538 Posts

Eagerly awaiting the Chrisedge review of the LA show...
Chrisedge (09-30-22)
Old 09-29-22, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I'm still waiting for a streaming service to carry it. P+ has the Wembley show, but they don't have this one.
Old 09-30-22, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I probably have more to say later, but both shows were amazing yet very different (especially as an attendee). We got tickets behind the stage, marked row 8 yet I knew they were really 3rd row. Yet, they were really first row because of the stage backdrop cutting off the view. Only person we really couldn't see was Rami, but it was from behind. Yet with 15 or so different drummers playing, it was an really cool view if you are gonna be behind the stage.

P!nk was certainly a highlight throughout the night, just like Justin Hawkins was in London. Yes, Justin was here again and kicked butt, but it was P!nk's night. She killed with Foo and Queen.

I've said, Wembley was a tribute, The Forum was a party.

We are highlighted in red!

The following 3 users liked this post by Chrisedge:
andicus (09-30-22), emanon (09-30-22), sportsfan64 (09-30-22)
Old 12-31-22, 07:43 PM

The following 4 users liked this post by Decker:
[email protected] (12-31-22), andicus (01-01-23), Chrisedge (01-03-23), Damfino (01-07-23)