Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Record Store Day - Black Friday 2020

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Record Store Day - Black Friday 2020

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-20, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: Record Store Day - Black Friday 2020

My haul...

ANTHRAX - SOLDIERS OF METAL

Plain cover aside, this was a real bargain at $13. I'm not sure I get the point of the black-in-orange vinyl scheme, and why they just didn't make it one color, but I've seen this on a few other releases.

CHRIS CORNELL - PATIENCE/NOTHING COMPARES 2 U

Nice little artifact. I need more seven-inchers, anyway.

MOTORHEAD - ON PAROLE

I think I've gotten more Motorhead RSD items than any other artist. I think this is the fifth or sixth one I've bought.

BUCKCHERRY

I think this is the first time this has been released on vinyl. I like this album, and couldn't pass it up.

MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE - LIFE ON THE MURDER SCENE

I don't have this on CD or vinyl, and I'm a sucker for blood-splatter vinyl anyway, and it goes with the cover.

MILLA JOVOVICH - DIVINE COMEDY

I think there were only 1000 of these made, so I feel lucky to have scored one. Very underrated record.

BEASTIE BOYS - SOME OLD BULLSHIT

A later-breaker for me. I initially passed on this, but went back and picked it up a few days later. It will pair well with my old copy of "License to Ill."

I ended up passing on AIC's "Sap" because I learned that it's already available on a double-EP with "Jar of Flys," so I'll pick it up next time I'm in the store in my next online order.

I also passed on the Corey Taylor/Dead Boys split single. Twenty bucks for two songs, and no cover art. Meh. If my record store guy ends up clearing them out at half price, I'll pick it up then.

The "Jazz Sabbath" record, pressed on transparent blue vinyl, looks sharp in the unboxing videos, but the music is little more than a novelty to me, so it's not really worth the asking price. I think these sold out fast, anyway, so I probably would have missed it even if I did want it.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 12-10-20 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-10-20, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

I'd be interested in that Beastie Boys record as a curiosity, because if I'm not mistaken, that's from their days as a hardcore punk band, not a rap group, right? I heard a couple of punk Beastie songs on an old ROIR comp tape, long since lost.

I'm watching two RSD releases on Discogs, one from October and one from Black Friday. Not gonna jinx it and say the titles. I'm hoping the price will drop to even below list price, as they didn't sell well on their respective days. The October one I would have picked up that day if I could have found it, but no local stores had it. It was supposed to be around $28 I think, Discogs sellers are already listing copies at $24 with no takers. If it gets down to $20, I'm pulling the trigger (I know it seems like a bit to quibble over $4, but with tax and shipping added in, it's currently over $30, which is just too much on principle).

The Black Friday release I want, I actually found at the third store I visited that day, but it was $39, and I'd already dropped $70 on two records that were not #1 on my want list for the day. I knew I'd be shelling out for the #1 title (Bangles, which I actually paid MORE than list price for, as expected), so that was just too much a hit in the wallet for the day. That one is also as low as $24 with over 80 copies available on Discogs and not moving at all, I think I can get it for $20 as well, eventually.
Old 12-10-20, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I'd be interested in that Beastie Boys record as a curiosity, because if I'm not mistaken, that's from their days as a hardcore punk band, not a rap group, right? I heard a couple of punk Beastie songs on an old ROIR comp tape, long since lost.
Yeah, it's stuff from their hardcore days. It's a compilation of "Polly Wog Stew," the "Cooky Puss" EP, and a couple of demos.

I remember when I was in school, and "License to Ill" was really popular with a lot of the jock types. A couple of them bought their old tapes ("Polly Wog Stew," and maybe "Cooky Puss") and were pissed off because they weren't rap.

Old 12-10-20, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I remember when I was in school, and "License to Ill" was really popular with a lot of the jock types. A couple of them bought their old tapes ("Polly Wog Stew," and maybe "Cooky Puss") and were pissed off because they weren't rap.
They should have been pissed that their "anthem", You Gotta Fight..., was directly making fun of them.
Old 12-13-20, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pulled the trigger on the two RSD releases I was talking about.

First was Peaches, the GH collection by The Stranglers. I don't own any of their stuff, but I dig their songs when I hear them. That's the one I could have gotten on BF for $39, but one Discogs seller had it at $24. Then when I went to checkout, they informed me that the other release I wanted, Rock Empire by The Wildbunch, was available from the same seller for $25. Now, I was hoping the Wildbunch record would drop below $20 and I think it will eventually, by getting it from the same seller I get the combined shipping. So I kinda save 5 bucks on that alone, making it like I got it for $20, my desired price.