DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Record Store Day - Black Friday 2020 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/651607-record-store-day-black-friday-2020-a.html)

Josh-da-man 10-25-20 07:08 PM

Record Store Day - Black Friday 2020

Here we go again...

https://recordstoreday.com/PromotionalEvent/579

Four months in a row, baby!

Josh-da-man 10-25-20 07:29 PM

Re: Record Store Day - Black Friday 2020

ALICE IN CHAINS - SAP

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...6b62defb6b.jpg
Alice in Chains. Definite interest even though I have this on CD.

ANTHRAX -SOLDIERS OF METAL

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...21d006206f.jpg

Only 1000 copies of this, so it might be difficult to come by.

BLUE OYSTER CULT - LIVE 83

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...a14c37bcff.jpg

I tend to avoid live releases for RSD (unless they're from one my favorite acts) but this sounds like it might be pretty good.

CHRIS CORNELL - PATIENCE 7"

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...20d64f972e.jpg

MILLA JOVOVICH -DIVINE COMEDY

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...40f8a7488f.jpg
(I censored the image so as to not run afoul of DVDTalk policies.)

Criminally underrated album, and a must buy for me. Like "Soldiers of Metal," it's limited to 1000 pieces, so I hope can snag a copy. I've already let my record store know what I'm interested in, and they'll do their best to get copies in. Fingers crossed!

MOTORHEAD - ON PAROLEhttps://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...35f90373ec.jpg

Not essential, but sounds something I'd like to have in my collection.

ROLLING STONES - LET IT BLEED (COLLECTOR'S EDITION)

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...a1fb5891b0.jpg

Sounds like this could be an interesting release...

The Rolling Stones’ groundbreaking multi-platinum selling album Let It Bleed was released in late 1969, charting at #1 in the UK and #3 in the US. It perfectly captures the ominous spirit of the times with “Gimme Shelter,” the opening track. The 2019 remaster has been engineered by eleven-time Grammy®-winning mastering engineer Bob Ludwig. Each copy of this exclusive collector's edition is handcrafted on the press, using layers of color on top of one another to create a truly unique edition. Due to the nature of the manual process to pour each color onto the press by hand, each piece is unique in design. Hand-numbered Certificate of Authenticity included.
Sounds like it could be a neat release, but at only 900 copies it will probably be difficult to come by and carry a hefty price tag. I'd really like to see what these LPs will look like.

SHADOWS FALL - OF ONE BLOOD

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...e56fd4221a.jpg

Not my favorite band, but I might pick this up if I get the chance. Definitely a low-priority release for me. Probably on a purchase if nothing else I want is available.

COREY TAYLOR/DEAD BOYS - "ALL THIS AND MORE" 12"

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...e2b1ab630b.jpg

Sounds like an interesting release; it's one of those RSD oddities that interest me.

Nine items? Good lord...

Paff 10-25-20 08:00 PM

Right now my plan is to sleep off a food coma on Black Friday; nothing really jumps out at me. BUT, I said that about yesterday's lineup (other than the live Who record) and went home with five RSD records, would have been six if I could have found the Wildbunch (Electric Six) LP

Toddarino 10-25-20 09:34 PM

Fuck. I gotta get that Village Of the Damned soundtrack and the Motörhead On Parole. I’m willing to bet the latter isn’t sanctioned by the band. That album is the red headed stepchild.

John Galt 10-26-20 08:09 AM

In for DBT and Willie Nelson ACL

Paff 11-24-20 02:01 PM

I think all I want is The Bangles' Doll Revolution, and I ain't setting my alarm for that. If it's still in the stacks mid-afternoon, then it shall be mine.

Josh-da-man 11-25-20 08:57 PM

From the YOU HAVE TO BE SHITTING ME DEPARTMENT:

Here's the limited to 900 copies edition of The Rolling Stones "Let it Bleed." One hundred bucks for this piece of shit?

An obi, a certificate of authenticity, and a basic multicolored splatter record in the basic sleeve?

Hard pass on this. (Though if I could get ahold of one, I wonder if I could flip it on eBay for a tidy profit.)

John Galt 11-26-20 08:22 AM

Looks like the stores near me all required advance sign up for the first two hours, and of course that deadline has passed. Not sure if it’s even worth going out now.

Paff 11-26-20 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13849046)
From the YOU HAVE TO BE SHITTING ME DEPARTMENT:

Here's the limited to 900 copies edition of The Rolling Stones "Let it Bleed." One hundred bucks for this piece of shit?

An obi, a certificate of authenticity, and a basic multicolored splatter record in the basic sleeve?

Hard pass on this. (Though if I could get ahold of one, I wonder if I could flip it on eBay for a tidy profit.)

In amongst all the craziness of a $99 Let it Bleed, what the hell is this guy doing opening up a copy? He can't sell it as new anymore. I assume he bought one out of his own stock.

Tom Banjo 11-26-20 01:35 PM

I’m going to try to snag a copy of GarciaLive online now that I know it’s actually Jerry Garcia Band with Bela Fleck.

Chrisedge 11-26-20 01:56 PM

I got spot three at my local store, and not even sure that I want much other than Bangles, U2 (crap), and a couple 7"s

John Galt 11-27-20 07:27 AM

Despite not preregistering, I was able to get into a local store at 8:10...not a lot of people signed up. Was able to get the Willie Nelson but they didn’t have any Drive By Truckers.

Paff 11-27-20 05:08 PM

Hit the stores around noon. Bought U2's Boy, honestly 'cuz I hate coming out of RSD empty-handed.

Then I went to a smaller hole-in-the-wall store, and managed to find Welcome Interstate Managers by Fountains of Wayne, so I'm happy about that. Came up snake eyes on finding the Bangles record after trying 4 stores.

Fifth store I went to is notorious for long lines due to Covid and limited space, and I think I saw the most egregious RSD offense ever: Someone with a big box of old records they were looking to sell. Seriously, you're gonna take up the staff's time with THAT on Black Friday? Where the fuck is your head at? Seeing that dicknuts on line in front of me made me decide to punt, so I went home.

Chrisedge 11-29-20 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge (Post 13849248)
I got spot three at my local store, and not even sure that I want much other than Bangles, U2 (crap), and a couple 7"s

Yea, funny to quote yourself.
I bought more than any other RSD this year...

The Bangles, U2, Elliott Smith. Plus Nikki Jean, Hoorah for Santa Claus (with SCCTM DVD), Mike Watt, Khurangbin, Beatles vs Stones from Los Straitjackets, Vince Guaraldi Trio 7"s. Plus found first press promo of Go-Gos BATB, cheap copy of Get the Knack (both backups), B-52s first, AND the total score of "The Warm December" for $27.

Paff 11-29-20 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge (Post 13850338)
The Bangles, U2, Elliott Smith. Plus Nikki Jean, Hoorah for Santa Claus (with SCCTM DVD), Mike Watt, Khurangbin, Beatles vs Stones from Los Straitjackets, Vince Guaraldi Trio 7"s. Plus found first press promo of Go-Gos BATB, cheap copy of Get the Knack (both backups), B-52s first, AND the total score of "The Warm December" for $27.

How early did you have to go to get The Bangles? How many copies did they have? Like I said, I went around noon and couldn't find any (and the first store I went to opened at 11, so I likely got there right after the initial rush).

I'm looking for it online, but it's still marked up a little excessively. I'm thinking in a month or so, prices will come down on unsold copies. If I can get it for no more than $10 above list price, I'll bite.

Chrisedge 11-29-20 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13850433)
How early did you have to go to get The Bangles? How many copies did they have? Like I said, I went around noon and couldn't find any (and the first store I went to opened at 11, so I likely got there right after the initial rush).

I'm looking for it online, but it's still marked up a little excessively. I'm thinking in a month or so, prices will come down on unsold copies. If I can get it for no more than $10 above list price, I'll bite.

I called (on Wed) and got spot three. He got four or five in, and not all of them sold by that afternoon, cause I saw him post it on IG for sale. That said, it was $41.99 at my store, and I saw it for $45.99 plus $5 shipping on Discogs so it's not that far off from retail. (SEE EDIT)

I ordered Amiee Mann's RSD release today from Orlando (it was at my store, and I regretted passing it up) ...that will do it for me, for sure.

EDITED TO ADD: I must be thinking of something else besides The Bangles. I didn't even have it loaded, so that means it wasn't even in Discogs the other day, so I bet it was Amiee's album I am thinking of...

flansered 11-30-20 10:27 AM

I went to a store in Atlanta, got there an hour and a half before opening, and there was maybe 10 people in front of me. Seemed slightly less of a crowd than usual, but that could either be cause of Covid or the lackluster releases this time. They were only letting a couple of people in at a time, I was able to grab the 1 copy of Motorhead's On Parole that was still on the shelf. In retrospect I should of grabbed the Baroness EP too.

Sid Ceaser 11-30-20 12:35 PM

I had been hoping to pick up Pete Rock's NY Instrumentals release but I waited in line and the store had only ordered two copies and they were gone by the time I got into the store.

I wish they took orders or something. Trying to guess which store to go to and always choosing the wrong one makes me not want to go to these RSD drops any longer. :--(

A few years ago I picked the wrong shop for the Toad the Wet Sprocket box set. I finally found a shop days after willing to hold one for me while I made the three hour round trip.

flansered 11-30-20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sid Ceaser (Post 13850841)
I wish they took orders or something. Trying to guess which store to go to and always choosing the wrong one makes me not want to go to these RSD drops any longer. :--(

The problem with that is that a store can request more copies than they can actually get. I had spoken to the owner of my local store a few years ago and he said leading up to RSD he had no idea of which releases he would actually get until they got their shipment in the week of the sale. And taking orders for something and not being able to fulfill them could hurt the store's reputation. But at least there's Discogs and ebay, and usually after a week or two the price on some RSD releases starts to drop. Unless it's like that ridiculous Rolling Stones release.

Paff 11-30-20 04:51 PM

Found the Bangles record on Discogs for $45+shipping, and considering most stores were selling it for $42, I'm guessing that's about as good a deal as I'm gonna get for it. Paying the shipping cost sucked, but the only way I'm ever gonna get around that is if I find it in a store, highly unlikely at this point.

Chrisedge 11-30-20 08:45 PM

That is not bad at all. When I looked after my misquote above, it was $69.99 + shipping.

Paff 12-01-20 12:07 PM

Yeah, it was a real bit of luck. I just happened to check Discogs at that time, and pounced on the $45 copy. It had only been listed a few minutes prior; had I checked later in the day I'm sure it would have been gone.

I doubt it will ever go below the original list price, since so few of them were printed. I just hope there's not a regular release of it later on down the road. Swirled pink vinyl and numbered editions are nice, but I'm buying it for the music, to listen to it. If there's a $25 regular black vinyl copy out sometime next year, I'm gonna feel awfully stupid.

Chrisedge 12-01-20 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13851251)
Yeah, it was a real bit of luck. I just happened to check Discogs at that time, and pounced on the $45 copy. It had only been listed a few minutes prior; had I checked later in the day I'm sure it would have been gone.

I doubt it will ever go below the original list price, since so few of them were printed. I just hope there's not a regular release of it later on down the road. Swirled pink vinyl and numbered editions are nice, but I'm buying it for the music, to listen to it. If there's a $25 regular black vinyl copy out sometime next year, I'm gonna feel awfully stupid.

It is listed as a RSD First record I think. But I like getting the RSD variants and never mind going out early in the morning. I don't go too early, nor do I feel bad if I had to pay a little more for something I REALLY wanted and missed out on. (which really rarely happens with what I want)

Toddarino 12-02-20 10:04 AM

I’m guessing the Village Of The Damned soundtrack got delayed or canceled. It hasn’t popped up on eBay or discogs. I wish I knew that before I went to four stores on Friday looking for it.

Tom Banjo 12-03-20 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo (Post 13849243)
I’m going to try to snag a copy of GarciaLive online now that I know it’s actually Jerry Garcia Band with Bela Fleck.

I ended up not getting this. Previewing it on Spotify led to me realizing that Bela Fleck was only on 2 of the tracks.