Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-14, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Just got this album in!

Old 06-02-14, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Going to be in Dallas (Frisco, actually) next week. Any good record shops to check out?
Old 06-02-14, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wmermine
Just got this album in!
Nice!

I have the exact same turntable
Old 06-02-14, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Nice!

I have the exact same turntable
I'm really glad to have this turntable. I'm thinking of upgrading the belt soon and putting on a Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge. Even still, it's tough to imagine it sounding better than it does!
Old 06-02-14, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really glad to have this turntable. I'm thinking of upgrading the belt soon and putting on a Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge. Even still, it's tough to imagine it sounding better than it does!
I'm really happy with it too. I haven't had it for very long so the upgrades(if any) won't be anytime soon.
Old 06-02-14, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey Astrochimp, where in TO are you picking stuff up from?
Old 06-02-14, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Hey Astrochimp, where in TO are you picking stuff up from?
Went to June Records. Was going to go to Sonic Boom, but it was nuts in TO on Saturday and I don't really enjoy driving there.

I mostly stick to the place here in my city, or Cheapies in Hamilton.

I'm going to check out Records on Wheels in Dundas this weekend.
Old 06-03-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Wow!

Cars for me was the cheapest at $3 and with that you know there's an issue with it. It is slightly warped, but plays fine.

Elvis was the highest at $10, I think its a trickier one to find.

B-52's was $7 and it is like brand new. Even the sleeve is mint.

Others were $5 each and are all pretty decent.

Most of the stores here have similar prices. $4 and under you are taking your chances, but you might fine a gem. $5 to $9 seem decent and if its one that is easy to find it will be close to mint.

$10 and above seems to be ones that are a bit more scarce.

In my few weeks of collecting I have yet to see an album by Rush, Led Zep, Bowie, Floyd and of course, anything 90's.
This guy that runs the store I go has massive volume. So a lot of common stuff, he doesn't even look at it and it ends up in the 50 cent room. I've found some perfect records in there. My favorite was an original Allman Bros "Eat A Peach" double LP - not mint but no bad scratches.

His big peeve is The Beatles. He sells Beatles stuff for fairly cheap because he believes they are common and others totally gouge on price on them.

If any record sells on eBay for $50, he'll sell it for $30. If it sells for $100, he'll sell it for $75. He makes his money on continuous new stock and his store is a real gem for this area.

He also won't rip off sellers. He'll give you the honest wholesale price not like a dollar or less per record like some places.
Old 06-03-14, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Had to run to the store to pickup a Pearl Jam 7" for someone (I am not a big Pearl Jam fan).

While there, I got:

Gary Numan - Replicas $5
Allman Bros - At Fillmore East (2LP) $5
Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage ... $1 (old Columbia label)
Belle & Sebastian - 3..6..9 Seconds of Light (EP) $5

And then some jazz:

Eric Dolphy - Outward Bound (1964, Prestige original, much cleaner than the pic) - $20
John Coltrane - Coltrane's Sound $10
Old 06-03-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114
This guy that runs the store I go has massive volume. So a lot of common stuff, he doesn't even look at it and it ends up in the 50 cent room. I've found some perfect records in there. My favorite was an original Allman Bros "Eat A Peach" double LP - not mint but no bad scratches.

His big peeve is The Beatles. He sells Beatles stuff for fairly cheap because he believes they are common and others totally gouge on price on them.

If any record sells on eBay for $50, he'll sell it for $30. If it sells for $100, he'll sell it for $75. He makes his money on continuous new stock and his store is a real gem for this area.

He also won't rip off sellers. He'll give you the honest wholesale price not like a dollar or less per record like some places.
Sounds like a great place to shop
Old 06-03-14, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Scooped-up the bootleg release of Arch Enemy's new album War Eternal...the new singer is holding up for me so far. She doesn't sound like Angela, but has similar qualities that I'm enjoying.
Old 06-03-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
Going to be in Dallas (Frisco, actually) next week. Any good record shops to check out?
There's not a ton in the Dallas area but Good Records is fun split level to browse. Plus they have live shows most Saturdays on their astro turf stage in back.

http://www.goodrecords.com

Then there's Bill's records, which I haven't been to in years. Mostly because the store is highly disorganized, nothing is priced, and Bill is kind of a dick.

http://billsrecords.com/

And there's Forever Young, which a little further out (close to Cowboys Stadium) but is pretty cool. They have a lot of cool memorabilia & rarities in their collectors den.

http://www.foreveryoungrecords.com/
Old 06-03-14, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks! Appreciate it.
Old 06-04-14, 08:17 AM

That U-Turn table in the picture above has a nice vintage look to it. It looks like the cover has rounded edges (?). Nice.

Anyway, I'm going to be in Manhattan near NYU next weekend, does anyone know a good record shop in that area? I've started buying records as souvenirs when I travel: I got a Modest Mouse album at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland last week, for example.
Old 06-06-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Album #666 came in the mail today ... Birds of Satan -- Birds of Satan. Seems appropriate!
Old 06-06-14, 03:49 PM

That U-Turn table in the picture above has a nice vintage look to it. It looks like the cover has rounded edges (?). Nice.
Yep, the corners on the table are rounded and the same with the dust cover. I really like it for the most part, the dust cover always dropping is my biggest complaint, wish they would've used a different mechanism to keep it up.
Old 06-06-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114

Where's this place at?
Old 06-08-14, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Picked up these today for $27(sorry CRM, but Rush goes for 10 bucks here )

Was happy to find The Cars debut. It is in decent shape(album's better than the cover )
Old 06-08-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 768 Posts

Vinyl Junkies Record Swap at the Casbah in San Diego yesterday. Much better than the usual record show, as it catered towards the type of listeners who usually attend Casbah shows. I got a bunch of titles, but the highlight was these Bow Wow Wow imports:

The upper left and lower right contain tracks not available on any other LP or CD
Old 06-09-14, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Where's this place at?
Allentown, PA

I just bought a copy of The Beatles, Hey Jude on Apple in perfect condition for $3. I didn't really want that album but couldn't turn it down.

The guy just got like 30 Beatles albums from the 60s and 70s still sealed, Apples, black label Capitols. Apparently, there used to a Capitol pressing plant in Allentown and this was the personal collection of some dude that has since passed away. I got a black label Help!.
Old 06-09-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
There's not a ton in the Dallas area but Good Records is fun split level to browse. Plus they have live shows most Saturdays on their astro turf stage in back.

http://www.goodrecords.com

Then there's Bill's records, which I haven't been to in years. Mostly because the store is highly disorganized, nothing is priced, and Bill is kind of a dick.

http://billsrecords.com/

And there's Forever Young, which a little further out (close to Cowboys Stadium) but is pretty cool. They have a lot of cool memorabilia & rarities in their collectors den.

http://www.foreveryoungrecords.com/

I'd add to those, if you are looking for used, most any Half Priced Books, but particularly the one by Northpark mall

Probably not work the drive, but if you are near Denton ... Recycled Books and CD has a nice record selection (tons of great books as well) as does Mad World Records, and Books and More.
Old 06-09-14, 09:46 PM

Well I guess Lazaretto comes tomorrow.

Working later these days and couldn't make it to mondo for the Jurassic Park listening party. Friend of mine secured me and Amber copy though.
Old 06-09-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Well I guess Lazaretto comes tomorrow.
Yes! I'm not a huge fan of Jack White's solo work, but this thing looks like one of the most unique vinyl records ever produced. Can't wait to get it in my hands tomorrow.
Old 06-09-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Yes! I'm not a huge fan of Jack White's solo work, but this thing looks like one of the most unique vinyl records ever produced. Can't wait to get it in my hands tomorrow.
I was excited about it until I actually heard it. One track aside, the music did nothing for me, and was fairly unmemorable. Disappointing, as I was looking forward to it. Nowhere near as good as his last solo album, and even that wasn't as good as the White Stripes or The Raconteurs.

It would be cool to own for the uniqueness of it, but if I'm not going to listen to it, what's the point of even having it?
Old 06-10-14, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I really enjoyed the music. The holograms are really cool.

Fuck the Black Keys.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.