Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 05-21-22, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 909 Likes on 552 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Hey....ummm....that's Toad Hall, one of my local stores here in Rockford IL!

I also see he can't say "Record Store" without following it with "Day"

Last edited by emanon; 05-21-22 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-26-22, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts

Checking on an offer to buy 650+ albums for $350 tonight from someone off facebook marketplace.

He only took out 20 or so albums that he recognized (does not seem like these were his) and of those I personally want about 7 of them. Will be checking out record condition on those 20 and skimming through the other titles to see what they are. Seems like a can't miss if the records are in good condition and it isn't 600 Anne Murray albums.

Will post a report and more pics if I buy it. Here's what I'm going off of now.

Old 05-26-22, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Wow. if they're in decent shape, that could be a hell of a score!
Old 05-26-22, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Yeah, there's a few rather expensive ones just in that photo. Try to find an original pressing of Fear of Music for less than $30. I'm willing to bet you could find $350 worth of records you don't give a shit about in that stack real easily, thus making the whole thing free.
Old 05-26-22, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm getting old and am out of shape. First time in my life I regret living on the third floor.

There is a ton for me to go through and unbox but every box Ive briefly thumbed through has had a handful of records I want. Found one clump on Beatles already. Before this I was only 3 albums away from having at least 1 copy of every original album. Have already found Hard Day's Night (one of the 3), as a numbered White Album (I have the box set but have always wanted a numbered one) as well as a red album and two of the cut up American "Albums". Don't think I would pay for any of those last three on their own but as a part of this collection? They're gems for me.

Once I pull everything I know I want to keep and am interested in trying am happy to make killer deals with people here if there happens to be stuff that you all are looking for. I'm not really looking to make money on this but would be cool to pull all the records I want and recoup my costs which I feel I should be able to do easily. Might be a few days - weeks before I get started on that but will bring it to you guys before discogs or ebay.
The following 4 users liked this post by Nesbit:
andicus (05-26-22), Paff (05-26-22), whaaat (08-15-22), Why So Blu? (05-26-22)
Old 05-26-22, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let me know of any punk and new wave stuff you find
Old 05-26-22, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice! I was worried you might get sniped, on the deal.

Unlikely, but if there's any jazz amongst the collection, I'd be interested in Vince Guaraldi or Ray Bryant. Though shipping would probably be prohibitive, to Canada.

Or, of course, a Sgt. Pepper mono.
Old 05-27-22, 08:51 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Sounds like a no brainer of a purchase. Congrats. Looking forward to hear more about what you find.
The following users liked this post:
Nesbit (05-28-22)
Old 05-27-22, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I've gone through all but the boxes once

Pulling 25 albums for myself, half of which we're on my must buy list already

AC/DC - If You Want Blood (*Does not include song If You Want Blood)
Aerosmith - Aerosmith
Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation
Al Green's Greatest Hits
Best of Beach Boys 1 & 2
Beatles - Red Album
Beatles - Sgt Pepper, 67 stereo version which will replace my current copy as it doesn't have the ugly yellow 'Stereo' strip across the top

Beatles - White Album (US stereo numbered)
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Frank Sinatra - Sinatra at the Sands mono
George Harrison - George Harrison
Gladys Knight and the Pips - Anthology
In Utero tribute album
Led Zepplen - Houses of the Holy
Marvin Gaye - Let's Get it On
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Michael Jackson - Bad
Queen - Best of Queen
Rocky original score
Star Wars original score
Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bullocks
Talking Heads - Fear Music
A compilation of 1972 hits primarily for Michael Jackson's Ben
A compilation of 50s hits

Also

-25-40 Christmas albums I'll crack open in December
-a box set of each of the "Biggie" classical composers
-Some Bill Cosby records I wouldnt pay for specifically but will eventually listen to at least once as I've never heard them, grew up with Cosby, and think I'd be able to separate things minus spanish fly jokes which I'm sure they'lll be a handful of... Was glad to see Thriller and Bad for the same reasons. Was really hoping for Off the Wall.
- Beatles - What I think is every American Mono album up until Hard Day's Night minus the butcher cover one (butcher cover or the replacement with them in a suitcase, forget the name of the album). Kinda torn if I want to keep these. If I do it invites the want to collect variations I don't think I want. Have thought about getting a mono version of each British album in addition to stereo but don't care about the American ones. If anyone needs a bunch of these feel free to hit me up. Not at the point to sell just 1 yet but multiples would make it easy to decide.

Originally Posted by Paff
Let me know of any punk and new wave stuff you find
Unfortunately Sex Pistols was the only punk album in any of the boxes. There were four or five albums that stood out to me as possibly being new wave though. I didn't recognize any of the artists or albums but they weren't the failed 70s whitebread act that a LARGE amount of this collection was so they stood out to me and I put them in a known artist/album/non donate box. I don't listen to much new wave so could be way off but I will pull them aside when I see them and let you know if they are or not.

Originally Posted by andicus
Nice! I was worried you might get sniped, on the deal.

Unlikely, but if there's any jazz amongst the collection, I'd be interested in Vince Guaraldi or Ray Bryant. Though shipping would probably be prohibitive, to Canada.

Or, of course, a Sgt. Pepper mono.
There was a lot more mo town/soul than jazz but I believe there were a handful. I know there were at least two Miles Davis albums as I put them aside to give a listen. Can check which ones if there's any you'd possibly be interested in and make sure to pull any other jazz.

Thanks for listing those names as I'm unfamiliar with them. If anyone is looking for any albums from performers that aren't widely known by the public please list them so I can keep an eye out.

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Sounds like a no brainer of a purchase. Congrats. Looking forward to hear more about what you find.
Thanks! Will try and come up with a list of all the other stuff asap. Probably Sunday. Don't know how many lesser known niche albums there are in this thing but I'd estimate there's 30-50 studio albums still left from well known acts that I'm just not personally that into. Don't know if there's any that haven't been printed in a long time and are rare or if they're all the most readily available album from the artist as again they're not records I look up lol. Will look them up as I list them but again am looking to give deals and get these out the door. Couple U2, Born in the USA, Tommy film soundtrack, couple Queen, an Elvis Costelo, a Rolling Stones, Shout at the Devil, ALL the Tom Jones, surprisingly NO Anne Murray!
Old 05-27-22, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Unfortunately Sex Pistols was the only punk album in any of the boxes. There were four or five albums that stood out to me as possibly being new wave though. I didn't recognize any of the artists or albums but they weren't the failed 70s whitebread act that a LARGE amount of this collection was so they stood out to me and I put them in a known artist/album/non donate box. I don't listen to much new wave so could be way off but I will pull them aside when I see them and let you know if they are or not.
No prob! Just send me that Talking Heads album and we'll call it a day.

Kidding, you did snag a good one there. If there's a band you never heard of, but the cover features 4 or 5 guys with spiked hair and skinny ties, add it to the "new wave" list. I've literally based some bargain bin purchases on that method and gotten more than a few good records as a result.
Old 05-27-22, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last night

Me: What? Jim Nabors had an album?!? Maybe I'll put that in the known artist non donate box. Kind of a novelty!

45 minutes later

Me: Another one? How'd this guy find time to act?
Old 05-27-22, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now I know of one person in this thread who's never watched the Indianapolis 500.
Nesbit (05-27-22)
Old 05-28-22, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Now I know of one person in this thread who's never watched the Indianapolis 500.
It's usually the first thing I tell people after my name.
Old 05-31-22, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Nesbit, if there’s any Grateful Dead or Jerry Garcia stuff in there you don’t want I might be interested, depending on what it is.
Old 05-31-22, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately no Dead Should have a list up in the next day or two. Wanted it up Sunday but work got busy and I couldn't finish. Should I just post it here or create a separate thread? Also Im currently listing the album, artist, disc and sleeve condition, and a link to discogs to show which version it is. Is there anything else I should include?

Old 05-31-22, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For your own benefit, if you're at all interested in checking out any other jazz, I'd highly recommend anything by Bill Evans, Dave Brubeck, or Oscar Peterson.
whaaat (08-15-22)
Old 06-01-22, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 909 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Unfortunately no Dead Should have a list up in the next day or two. Wanted it up Sunday but work got busy and I couldn't finish. Should I just post it here or create a separate thread? Also Im currently listing the album, artist, disc and sleeve condition, and a link to discogs to show which version it is. Is there anything else I should include?
If you're going through all of that effort, may want to just make a discogs page for your own management purposes.
Old 06-01-22, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emanon
If you're going through all of that effort, may want to just make a discogs page for your own management purposes.
Thanks for the tip. Do have one.

Originally Posted by andicus
For your own benefit, if you're at all interested in checking out any other jazz, I'd highly recommend anything by Bill Evans, Dave Brubeck, or Oscar Peterson.
Will keep those names in mind. Have never been into jazz but really enjoyed a jazz rock record I listened to yesterday so may get there.
Old 06-07-22, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey just an fyi that I'll be deleting the list of records next Monday or Tuesday when I'll post it on reddit incase anyone wanted anything off it.
Old 06-12-22, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my local shops just got a collection of punk and post-punk records, first pressings, all in mint condition. Unfortunately, he's no idiot and the prices reflect the value of the collection. So yeah, $120 for a first pressing of Black Flag's My War. $60 for PsychoCandy by The Jesus and Mary Chain. Not happening.

But he did put all the 12" singles and EPs from the collection into his bargain bins, all around $2-5. Most of the singles are British, and the B-sides usually contain songs not on the albums. I picked up five 12" from The Woodentops, one from Gang of Four, and two from The Soup Dragons. Whole thing set me back $20.
Old 06-12-22, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Very nice!

Targets buy 2 get 1 started this morning. Picked up Purple Rain, What's Going On, Best of the Who, Leave Home - The Ramones, Batman Forever Soundtrack, and Young Americans for $101.62 or $16.94 each.
Old 06-12-22, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

One of my local shops just got a collection of punk and post-punk records, first pressings, all in mint condition. Unfortunately, he's no idiot and the prices reflect the value of the collection. So yeah, $120 for a first pressing of Black Flag's My War. $60 for PsychoCandy by The Jesus and Mary Chain. Not happening.
The prices at record stores for anything of even moderate interest are insane.

I follow the record shops in my area on facebook, and one in particular that specializes in old school heavy metal will post new used inventory, and the price stickers on them are in the $75-$300 range. This is generally two to three times what the same items will sell for on discogs or eBay. I've even seen them post old cassettes of common material (ie, that's still in print on CD) marked in the $20+ range.

I sort of wonder what they pay for that stuff. Like, does someone come in with a stack of records and they'll offer them twenty dollars for all of them, then mark them at $100+ a piece? Kind of makes me want to take in a stack of my twenty or thirty most valuable vintage records just to see what they would offer me.

Old 06-12-22, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I sort of wonder what they pay for that stuff. Like, does someone come in with a stack of records and they'll offer them twenty dollars for all of them, then mark them at $100+ a piece? Kind of makes me want to take in a stack of my twenty or thirty most valuable vintage records just to see what they would offer me.
Yeah, I didn't ask, but I'm curious too. The "prize" of the collection is Black Flag's first single, he's asking $2500 for it. But he said he doesn't even expect to sell it, he just likes having it displayed on the wall. Which makes me realize he certainly paid a lot less for it if he's willing to let it sit unsold on the wall display.
Old 07-26-22, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Wife surprised me with this yesterday (limited baby blue vinyl):

The following 2 users liked this post by SmackDaddy:
Nesbit (08-05-22), whaaat (08-15-22)
Old 08-05-22, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

The MoFi "scandal" made it to WaPo...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/music...gital-scandal/

Pretty good, thorough article, actually.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.