Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-14, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Decided to buy the new Phantom of the Opera score as performed by The Laze on a whim. Wow. Amazing recording. I can't recommend it enough. The musical style is all over the place, but a must for fans of Carpenter, Goblin and Morricone. I'm hooked.
Old 09-22-14, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toddarino
This sucks. Knowing how Mondo operates, the new Death Waltz releases will be even harder to get.
Yep. I am really bummed by this news.
Old 09-22-14, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Got the Mondo PR release for the Looper score and it's like $70 and $60 depending on the edition you get. One of those will come with a "7 version of the score and the LP's are housed in a canvas bag sleeve.

Very gimmicky this thing is.
Old 09-22-14, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Got the Mondo PR release for the Looper score and it's like $70 and $60 depending on the edition you get. One of those will come with a "7 version of the score and the LP's are housed in a canvas bag sleeve.

Very gimmicky this thing is.

Yes. Yes it is. I bought this one. I was afraid to force the record back in the canvas bag.

I'm starting to wonder how much longer I will be in the Mondo game. I pretty much gave up on the posters I was into for a couple of years. Now the records are coming fast and furious. Then I hear really well mastered jazz albums that are the same price or less that I get far more enjoyment from hearing.

MondoCon could be a good stoping point.

On that note my friend scored a Batman Animated Mondo test press. It was 12" with the single track and lots of dead wax. There is one on eBay now though where the wax is cut in the bat signal shape.
Old 09-23-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Yep. I am really bummed by this news.
From what I read, it sounds like the guy behind Death Waltz will be running both Death Waltz and the record part of Mondo...so I'm hoping Mondo ends up skewing closer to DW's business model instead of the opposite.
Old 09-23-14, 02:42 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Yeah, I wanted Looper really bad, but $60/$70? Plus shipping? No thanks.
Old 09-24-14, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Lords Of Summer On Vinyl

We love celebrating Black Friday with our friends at local record stores and this year our By Request tour "new" song, "Lords of Summer," will be making its vinyl debut on November 28, 2014 as part of Record Store Day.

The limited edition 12-inch vinyl will include the "First Pass" (studio) version on side A as well as a live version recorded at the Rock In Rome Sonisphere Festival on July 1, 2014. Side B will feature a laser etching of our "M" logo... it won’t play on your turntable, but it looks pretty damn cool!

Look for "Lords of Summer" on vinyl only at independent retail and in the Metallica.com store. For a list of stores participating in Record Store Day, please visit RecordStoreDay.com.
Old 09-25-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Video of the pressing of the the Jeff Tweedy promo 7". Glad I got this...

I'm a little unclear on what they are doing in the video when it looks like they are punching the label portion out of 12" colored records. It seems they then put those back into the grinder and start the process over again.

<iframe frameborder="0" height="281" src="//player.vimeo.com/video/106318541" width="500" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen=""></iframe>
Old 09-26-14, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts

I know some people mentioned taking advantage of Sound Stage Direct's last coupon code I posted, so I thought I'd mention that that've got 11% off through midnight tonight, using code WB11. Free domestic shipping on orders >$35.

Next time I see one, I'll try to remember to post it with a bit more notice. Just got an email reminder about this one, and thought I'd share if anyone was interested.
Old 09-27-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I've never heard of that site before. Thanks for the heads up.

I went on a little spree this week. I worked a bunch of overtime. Might as well blow the extra money on records.

The Omen soundtrack/score
Norman Greenbaum - Petaluma
Colin Blunstone - Journey
TP & the HB's - Mojo
King Tuff - Black Moon Spell
Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue
Old 09-27-14, 10:40 PM

Damn for 70 damn bucks, that Looper is unacceptably noisy.
Old 09-28-14, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm always amazed at the number of movie scores I see folks talking about buying here, and at the prices some of them go for. Do you guys actually even listen to them much? Enough to justify the cost(s)? I ask, as I have a hard enough time just trying to squeeze in listening time on all my other music, especially with the interactive and time consuming nature of listening to vinyl. Generally, on a given day. a movie score would be one of the last things I would choose to throw on. So sincerely, what drives your interest in these albums?

Personally, I also don't have a disposable income, so just the price alone on some of these albums puts them right out of my buying habits, to begin with.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 09-28-14 at 03:40 AM.
Old 09-28-14, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On another note, recent acquisitions include...

King Crmison - In The Court Of The Crimson King
200 gram reissue pressing of the original 1969 stereo mix, newly cut from masters approved by Robert Fripp. Even has an MP3 download of an original '69 vinyl transfer. This has to be one of the best sounding records I've come across in some time. Dead quiet, and a true joy to listen to. I lucked out while adding items to my Amazon "Wishlist" the other day, and saw that the price on this had dropped to $11.88, which seemed like an obvious mistake, as that is what the CD version usually sells for. I jumped at buying it at that price, and sure enough, just hours after my order had been processed, the listed price went back up to $38.99.

Sloan - Commonwealth
Latest from the Canadian rock band. As all four members sing and write, they did things a little differently with their latest, a doube album set. Each member get's one side to themselves as the featured singer/writer (although the whole band performs on all tracks). Comes in a nice heavy weight card stock jacket, and not only has a digital download with it, but also a copy of the album on CD. Now that's more bang for your buck.

Superdrag - Head Trip In Every Key
Reissue on vinyl for the first time, of one of my favorite albums from the 90's. Translucent double album set, that also sounds divine!
Old 09-28-14, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
On another note, recent acquisitions include...

Sloan - Commonwealth
Latest from the Canadian rock band. As all four members sing and write, they did things a little differently with their latest, a doube album set. Each member get's one side to themselves as the featured singer/writer (although the whole band performs on all tracks). Comes in a nice heavy weight card stock jacket, and not only has a digital download with it, but also a copy of the album on CD. Now that's more bang for your buck.
I need to get that.
Old 09-29-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Death Waltz has finally put up their House of the Devil soundtrack. It comes in 3 flavors, all 180g vinyl.

Plain black Vinyl (Includes Liner Notes by the composer Jeff Grace & a poster)
Red Vinyl (Includes Liner Notes by the composer Jeff Grace & a poster)
Deluxe Black Vinyl w/red blood splatter. This one comes in a deluxe gatefold and in addition to the poster and composer liner notes, it also has notes by Director Ti West & Actor AJ Bowen. This one is limited to 400 pieces and is only available directly from Death Waltz.

The other two versions can be purchased from either Death Waltz, or Light in the Attic (if you want to save on shipping to the US)

I got in on the deluxe edition because I love this movie. It was a little pricy, but I can deal. There only 226 copies of it remaining at the time of this post.
Old 09-29-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

206 now.
Old 09-29-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

206 now.
Down to 157 after my purchase. Was hoping LITA would carry the deluxe edition so I could have saved some money on shipping.
Old 10-03-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mondo still has these in stock.

$50 plus shipping. I'll pass.

http://www.mondotees.com/Guardians-o...ER_p_1642.html
Old 10-03-14, 12:58 PM

I missed the poster. I'm a big Stout collector. These are screen printed jackets. The regular copy of Galaxy sounds terrible. Perfect storm for me. I'm in! Take my money again Mondo!
Old 10-03-14, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Stout is my favorite artist that does work for Mondo but just trying to get his stuff is a pain. I have only one piece of of Stout artwork and that's my coveted Inglourious Basterds poster. At one point those things were going for $500 a pop on the 3rd market.
Old 10-03-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What is up with Mondo's recent LPs being so damn expensive?

I'd like that deluxe House of the Devil, but LiTA only has the regular in stock, so I went with one of those. Trying to keep up with variants is just exhausting.
Old 10-03-14, 06:52 PM

Well this one is screen printed. That accounts for a lot of the price. I'm glad I'm not a completist on these handbills any longer. Decided I just wasn't going to chase down all the Aliens ones.
Old 10-04-14, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I'll be giving these guys my money for one of those at least:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/33...picture-discs/
Old 10-04-14, 07:32 AM

Yeah I like those quite a bit. Good holiday music. And I liked that movie so much better than I expected I would.

Speaking of holiday music . . . So many great Christmas album reissues coming this year. Johnny Cash, Sinatra, James Brown, a couple of those Christmas Cocktail compilations, Elf Soundtrack. Probably more I can't recall.

Call me a sentimental old fuddy duddy, but I like to have the parents over, decorate a tree, drink wine, eat junk and spin Xmas records.
Old 10-04-14, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mondo still has these in stock.

$50 plus shipping. I'll pass.

http://www.mondotees.com/Guardians-o...ER_p_1642.html
I need to stop reading this thread after a few drinks. I just ordered one against my better judgement.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.