Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 06-24-24, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by VHS?
I'd love to get and the 3 or 4 Cure that were in there.
Cure on vinyl is great, but I definitely wouldn't pay the $250 for Disintegration. Assuming it's an original pressing, it's about an hour of music crammed onto one disc, and missing two songs, including the excellent Last Dance. I've read that the CD version of the original releases is the best format (that's what I have, although I first bought it on cassette when the album initially came out). What other Cure albums does he have for sale?
The following users liked this post:
VHS? (06-25-24)
Old 06-25-24, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Cure on vinyl is great, but I definitely wouldn't pay the $250 for Disintegration. Assuming it's an original pressing, it's about an hour of music crammed onto one disc, and missing two songs, including the excellent Last Dance.
Agree, I have the double-LP reissue in my collection already. My bad on the price here ... they're asking $200 and not $250.

What other Cure albums does he have for sale?
They're shown at the 5:26 mark and 24:27 mark of the video. Not sure which ones are still left, I imagine some are gone already.

And pretty much no one talks like that out here unless they're from the Maritimes. Maybe Paff has a Newfie filter on his cellphone ...
Old 06-25-24, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,012 Likes on 767 Posts

Just tellin' ya what I heard, man.
Old 06-25-24, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I suppose it is entirely possible that his ancestors emigrated to the prairies during the great Rupert's Land migration between 1871 and (roughly) Nineteen Aught-Six. Or he just could have been having a bit of fun with the American on the line ...

My apologies, Paff ...
Old 06-25-24, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

It's amazing how I thought this or that 'record' would be worth something one day or at any current time, but ones I bought and got rid of are the ones that have ridiculous pricing today
I had the Bowie ones from the video as well as some of the Cure ones, but those were lost here and there are handed off to friends or whatever. It was mostly because I replaced them with CD
Old 06-25-24, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Cure on vinyl is great, but I definitely wouldn't pay the $250 for Disintegration. Assuming it's an original pressing, it's about an hour of music crammed onto one disc, and missing two songs, including the excellent Last Dance.
That was so annoying in the 80s, when CDs, LPs, and cassettes would have different track listings due to limitations of the formats. The Cure's Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me album had had the track "Hey You" cut from the CD for time, and other albums would include a bonus track on the CD and/or cassette that was missing from the LP.
Old 06-26-24, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That was so annoying in the 80s, when CDs, LPs, and cassettes would have different track listings due to limitations of the formats. The Cure's Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me album had had the track "Hey You" cut from the CD for time, and other albums would include a bonus track on the CD and/or cassette that was missing from the LP.
The first one that comes to mind for me is Synchronicity by The Police, which had Murder By Numbers as a bonus song on the cassette but not on the LP. I think record companies were doing this as a way to discourage people from taping the vinyl album onto their own cassettes at home with a 'buy our cassette and get bonus song(s) that you won't find on the LP' kind of deal.
Old 06-26-24, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that always bugged me as well. I bought the CD of Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me after hearing my friend's cassette of it, and I was disappointed that it was missing "Hey You" because I actually like that song. How about the Standing on a Beach compilation, where only the cassette has all the B-sides for the singles, that was the best version.
Old 06-26-24, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that always bugged me as well. I bought the CD of Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me after hearing my friend's cassette of it, and I was disappointed that it was missing "Hey You" because I actually like that song. How about the Standing on a Beach compilation, where only the cassette has all the B-sides for the singles, that was the best version.
Yeah, that was a frustrating one.

The LP had thirteen tracks. The CD had those thirteen tracks plus four more tracks. Then the cassette had the thirteen LP tracks plus the twelve b-side tracks. And the LP and cassette were titled "Standing on a Beach" and the CD was titled "Staring at the Sea." (Or was that the other way around?)

I remember getting that CD from Columbia House, then I was at a record store and saw the cassette that had a bunch of songs listed that the CD didn't and was quite pissed off.

Old 06-26-24, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that was a frustrating one.

The LP had thirteen tracks. The CD had those thirteen tracks plus four more tracks. Then the cassette had the thirteen LP tracks plus the twelve b-side tracks. And the LP and cassette were titled "Standing on a Beach" and the CD was titled "Staring at the Sea." (Or was that the other way around?)

I remember getting that CD from Columbia House, then I was at a record store and saw the cassette that had a bunch of songs listed that the CD didn't and was quite pissed off.
Luckily I bought it on cassette so I was good. The cassette was definitely called Standing on a Beach, and I know the VHS music video collection was called Staring at the Sea, but yeah, the CD might have been as well, maybe because its track listing matched the VHS?

Old 06-26-24, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,104 Likes on 779 Posts

^Yep. Can verify Standing on a Beach, as I just looked at my wife's copy.

I've been on a mission, lately, to track down my old mix tapes. It is driving me crazy. Wife came out with a bag of tapes, and I was so relieved, until I looked at them and realized they were all hers, and none of mine. I NEVER would have tossed them, so it's particularly frustrating, as I am pretty much out of places to look.

Also trying to find a working 8 track player. One was advertised on FB (in your neck of the woods, cultshock, hopefully not you! ) as "looks good works good," but when I asked the seller if he could demo it working, he said I could bring an 8 track to test it??? Waiting to hear how he knows it works, if he doesn't have an 8 track. I don't feel like making a 1/2 hour drive just to find out 'if' it works. Perhaps this belongs in the pet peeves thread.
Old 06-26-24, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope, it's not me selling it. Maybe by "it works good" he means it powers on when he hits the on button, it wouldn't surprise me. I only have two old 8-tracks from when I was a kid, two of the KISS solo albums, but the little foam thingies behind the tapes have dried up and fallen off, so I'd probably need to fix that in order to make them play properly.

I threw away all my tapes (mixtapes and prerecords) during a move around 18 years ago, still kicking myself for that stupidity (yet I hung on to my two 8-tracks), and I'm usually someone who hangs on to crap like that from my younger years.
Old 06-26-24, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I know you would've said that it 'works well,' so I was pretty confident that it wasn't you.

We bought our house 27 years ago, so I still had a cassette player in my car. I know I had them here. And my still having 8 tracks is more proof that I wouldn't have thrown them away, although your post calls that logic into quesiton.

And, yes, the foam pads commonly go, but can be replaced. The other thing is the metallic splice that is used to detect the end of the tape/track. The adhesive on many of those dries up, necessitating a repair.

Back to the search!
Old 06-26-24, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus
Yeah, I know you would've said that it 'works well,' so I was pretty confident that it wasn't you.
Very true, I read "Works good" and thought "Ugh".

I am surprised at myself for throwing away all my cassettes but keeping my two 8-tracks.

Here's the 8-track player I got for Christmas 1978, it had a speaker in the front and back that you could separate to get the full stereo effect. Spiffy!

The following users liked this post:
andicus (06-26-24)
Old 06-26-24, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

8 Track was a really horrible format, wasn't it?

A bit before my time -- but I remember some old tapes lying around the house when I was a kid. I remember my mother had a Joe Cocker tape and I thought his name was Joe Cooker.
Old 06-26-24, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've read that 8 track is/should be higher sound quality, but I'm not sure the logic works... It is a wider tape (6.35mm vs 3.81mm) but that works out to 0.79375mm per track, while cassette would be 0.9525mm per track (stereo, 2 sides).

Although, the tape speed is faster on 8 track (9.53 ips vs 4.75 ips), which is likely why it should be higher fidelity.

Of course, 8 track has some really annoying limitations... No possibility of rewinding, due to the way the infinite tape loop spools, and the likelihood of having a track switch in the middle of a song.
Old 06-26-24, 11:30 PM
X
Administrator

Received 169 Likes on 132 Posts

I've read that 8 track is/should be higher sound quality, but I'm not sure the logic works... It is a wider tape (6.35mm vs 3.81mm) but that works out to 0.79375mm per track, while cassette would be 0.9525mm per track (stereo, 2 sides).

Although, the tape speed is faster on 8 track (9.53 ips vs 4.75 ips), which is likely why it should be higher fidelity.
Double the tape speed sounds real likely to me. I used to do a lot of taping and speed made a lot of difference.
Old 06-27-24, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
Double the tape speed sounds real likely to me. I used to do a lot of taping and speed made a lot of difference.
Yeah, it makes sense. Multiplying it out, there's a definite advantage to space for the 8 track data at about a 1.67:1 over cassettes.
Old 06-27-24, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I was a kid my parents had an 8-track player in their car, and an 8-track recorder as a part of the "family stereo system" in the living room (seems like every home had one of those in the living room back then). That way my dad could tape all of his records to listen to in the car (like we did with cassette tapes in the 80s). It was a crappy format, the track changing in the middle of a song was annoying, and plenty of my dad's tapes got eaten by the player in the car, boy did that piss him off.

Old 06-27-24, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I can't speak for the actual audio quality of 8-track, but I do remember the tapes getting mangled frequently. Which also happened with cassettes, but less frequently. And I never really understood they way they worked (infinite loop or something?), and they were out of fashion by the time I was in kindergarten, anyway, so I never bothered to learn much about them.

Might have to look them up youtube; I'm sure I can find many exhaustive and detailed explanations of how they functioned.
Old 06-27-24, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We had the family stereo system (Sears brand!) with 8 track, but me being me meant I took it apart when I moved on to a 'real' stereo system.

Not surprisingly, no reply from the FB marketplace seller that somehow knows it works, without a tape.

And yeah, it is interesting how the infinite loop works. It spools out from the middle, and winds up on the outside. It's most likely that any eaten 8 track is due to the splice coming apart.
Old 06-27-24, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not surprisingly, no reply from the FB marketplace seller that somehow knows it works, without a tape.
Waiting for him to update his description from "Works good" to "It's broke".