Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 01:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I think that was covered before, but I'm not digging through buried pages and my question is a bit more specific...

I, like some of you, bought both of the Twin Peaks records from Mondo. Problem is, the jacket is so big it won't fit in a standard plastic sleeve. And with the precarious OBI strip sitting on top and the velvet-y finish to the exterior I'd like to keep these things protected.

Can anyone recommend where to buy larger sleeves that will fit these records?
I'm in the same boat. I think these are probably the only option. They're going to likely be much too wide for the TP sets, but better than no sleeve at all. I'll probably order them... eventually. I have a few box sets that need sleeves anyway.
http://www.sleevecityusa.com/ultimat...-25-p/9350.htm
Old 02-09-17, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The reason I asked about your player is because I wanted to know if it was belt drive or direct drive. AFAIK one should not use a center weight with direct drive turntables. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Interesting. I believe mine has a belt as I was reading some things about it and someone had the problem of the belt coming off and had to put it back in place - a huge pain in the ass.
Old 02-11-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Since Orbit hasn't shipped my turntable out yet I went ahead and purchased the cork mat and aluminum 45 RPM adapter.
Old 02-11-17, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that was covered before, but I'm not digging through buried pages and my question is a bit more specific...

I, like some of you, bought both of the Twin Peaks records from Mondo. Problem is, the jacket is so big it won't fit in a standard plastic sleeve. And with the precarious OBI strip sitting on top and the velvet-y finish to the exterior I'd like to keep these things protected.

Can anyone recommend where to buy larger sleeves that will fit these records?
This is what I use and they work great. Checkout through Amazon too which is handy.
Old 02-13-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Scored a copy of the The Thing via Waxworks Records. I got the regular "snow" edition. There selling the deluxe edition for $70 plus shipping. I paid $38 shipped for the regular one.

http://waxworkrecords.com/collection...ucts/the-thing
Old 02-13-17, 11:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Got one as well. I have an original pressing, which has seen better days. Glad to finally have a repress of this at least and don't have much heartache paying a premium for this one.
Old 02-13-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I grabbed a deluxe but, man, these guys are slipping. The heads up for subs came moments before the sale, and the prices are just stupid. And the sub discount is now only 10%. Kinda lame but then that's what every single company does once they get popular.
Old 02-13-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I grabbed a deluxe but, man, these guys are slipping. The heads up for subs came moments before the sale, and the prices are just stupid. And the sub discount is now only 10%. Kinda lame but then that's what every single company does once they get popular.

I think they just fucked up with this one. They underestimated the "want" factor by fans. Has it ever happened like this before? I don't remember.
Old 02-13-17, 03:58 PM

Received 828 Likes on 549 Posts

I really wanted the deluxe edition but it sold out as I was about to check out. Really bummed. I've been waiting for someone to reissue this for a while and was prepared to pay for a deluxe edition if there was one. I'm not supporting scalpers though.
Old 02-13-17, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Waxwork posted on their FB saying that for those that didn't get one there would be a re-press later this year.
Old 02-13-17, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think they just fucked up with this one. They underestimated the "want" factor by fans. Has it ever happened like this before? I don't remember.
See, I do not remotely understand how you can underestimate the "want factor" for the greatest horror film of all time, scored by the Maestro.
Old 02-14-17, 09:43 AM
Suspended

[IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c302/Baloo_bear/2017/20170206_153329.jpg/IMG]

Old 02-14-17, 06:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone else's copy of Fire Walk With Me sound like crackly ass? I could live without the fancy colored vinyl if they'd just get it to sound clean.
Old 02-14-17, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mine just shipped. I'll report back.
Old 02-14-17, 08:55 PM
Banned by request

I ran my through my record cleaner and side A still sounds awful. Side B doesn't sound great either. Side C is alright, and side D is so-so. I'll probably ask for a replacement.
Old 02-14-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like Waxwork Records is doing the pre-order for The Thing's second pressing tonight at midnight CST.
Old 02-14-17, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Anyone else's copy of Fire Walk With Me sound like crackly ass? I could live without the fancy colored vinyl if they'd just get it to sound clean.
Yep, just like the series soundtrack. I doubt a replacement will do much good.
Old 02-15-17, 02:09 AM
Banned by request

Looks like Waxwork Records is doing the pre-order for The Thing's second pressing tonight at midnight CST.
I couldn't resist the deluxe, and I grabbed a black vinyl copy of The Warriors soundtrack too.
Old 02-15-17, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

0 days since Supermallet's last vinyl purchase.
Old 02-15-17, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys--I've been having an issue and have been trying to figure it out for a week or two, but cannot diagnose or fix it. Any help would be great. I'll briefly give some background, and the rest will just be a list of things I tried to do to fix it but weren't successful attempts.

WHAT I HAVE

I have the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, a Marantz PM5004 integrated amp, and a Schitt Mani phono stage. I also have a Schitt MODI DAC for streaming music, as well.

THE PROBLEM

I’ve had the Pro-Ject over two years. But two weeks ago, when getting ready to play a record, I turned the volume up about 25-30% and I could hear something that sounded like white noise (think “Poltergeist”)—with a bit of a very faint hum noise being heard, too. The white noise/hiss was far more prominent and fairly loud, actually.

I also have my computer plugged into a Schitt MODI, and this DAC is plugged into the Marantz amp (this is to play streaming music through the “CD” input). When I switch the input to CD, there’s absolutely no white noise. Switch back to AUX input for my Pro-Ject turntable—white noise is back.

MY ATTEMPTS TO FIX THE ISSUE

So here’s a list of things I’ve done to troubleshoot the problem.

-I’ve tried unplugging the turntable while leaving the rest of the cables and ground wire connected—didn’t work.

-I’ve tried disconnecting and reconnecting the ground wires multiple times—didn’t work.

-I’ve tried removing the Schitt Mani phono stage entirely and instead connecting directly from the turntable to the amp. I connected the ground wire to the amp and the RCA cables to the PHONO input. I had to turn the volume up about 75% to hear the white noise (I presume because I have better gain control on the Schitt Mani as its a better phono stage)—but that didn’t work. Still heard the white noise.

-I’ve tried disconnecting all the components and reconnecting them again—didn’t work.

-I’ve tried removing certain things that may be causing interference, like a dimmer light next to the turntable (which has always been there since I got the turntable two years ago, by the way)—didn’t work.

-I’ve tried removing some of the non-essential components to test things, like the DAC for instance—didn’t work.

-I’ve tried changing up the RCA wires (more like exchanging ones that were connected to one component and trying to move them around to connect to other components instead)—didn’t work.

-Then, I decided maybe it’s the room I’m in. So I took the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and Schitt Mani downstairs. Found a separate Onkyo amp. Found separate speakers. Found separate speaker wire. Hooked it all up—didn’t work, still got white noise.

-While still downstairs, I then removed the Schitt Mani (disconnected it from the wall) and just directly connected the turntable to the Onkyo amp (including grounding)—didn’t work.

-Then, I decided, what if I try another turntable entirely? I have a old Technics turntable from the 70s that doesn’t even operate anymore. But it has its own ground wire and RCA cables built into the turntable. So, I went back upstairs to my normal listening room where my Pro-Ject Debt Carbon normally sits. I removed the Pro-Ject and I hooked the Technics up to both the Marantz amp and the Schitt Mani—didn’t work, still white noise.

-I then unplugged the Technics turntable while still having all the other cables and ground wire connected—didn’t work, still heard it just the same as I was hearing it with the Pro-Ject.

-I then directly connected the Technics turntable to the Marantz amp, removing the Schitt Mani from the equation entirely—didn’t work.

--

If anyone has any thoughts or advice on this crazy situation, that'd be great.
Old 02-15-17, 01:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

13 hours later, the pre-order is still up. I ordered it.
Old 02-15-17, 01:38 PM

Ok so..... if its a preorder..... when do I get charged?

fuck it.... I had to order it. I tried posting here the other day that I wanted this (lost reception) and was pissed I missed, but grateful to save money.

Now I ordered it and the Warriors (been dying for it and eyeballing colored for awhile but thats around $80 - so didnt want to rush)

Last edited by Ravenous; 02-15-17 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-15-17, 01:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

You get charged immediately. They say it ships in about 8 weeks.
Old 02-15-17, 02:30 PM

Since Orbit hasn't shipped my turntable out yet I went ahead and purchased the cork mat and aluminum 45 RPM adapter.
Ohhhh, got any pics of that adapter? Im curious
Old 02-15-17, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dan
You get charged immediately. They say it ships in about 8 weeks.
*Grumble*

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.