Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-13-18, 01:16 PM   #526
Mostly Banned

Re: The all things METALLICA thread!

Those performances are just Kirk and Rob fucking around with a song by a local artist while James and Lars take a break, that why it's called a "doodle". Yeah, they are kind of pointless and you often wish you could hear a serious, full band take (like when they covered Celtic Frost's "Procreation (of the Wicked)" in Switzerland, man I'd love to hear them go full out on that song) but they aren't meant to be serious covers, they are just having some fun jamming.
Old 09-13-18, 01:19 PM   #527
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
It's crazy how many people Metallica were packing into shows by the time of the Justice tour. No radio or MTV play whatsoever, just word of mouth and non stop touring. And they were playing arenas.
When we got that tour in England it was still theaters. Of the two I went to (Manchester and Bradford), the Bradford one was all standing. Great crowd and sold out. Probably the 6th time I'd seen Metallica by that point and the second best gig (after Donington '85). Even with Cliff gone they were still a force live.
After about 91 or 92 they had lost that edge IMO. Still a damn good live band, but they'd lost that fire that pushed them to the top. Mid to late 80's Metallica couldn't be touched live, even by their peers like Slayer. They just seemed to have that extra control over the crowd that other bands didn't have.

Nice to see Newsted rocking the Vio-lence t-shirt in the clip though !
Old 09-13-18, 01:58 PM   #528
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I dunno about you, but I couldn't get away from "One", MTV and radio.
They were selling out arenas long before the "One" video came out. They filmed "One" in between the San Diego and Long Beach shows. And there were TWO shows at Long Beach. All three shows were in 10,000+ seat arenas. All sold out.
Old 09-13-18, 02:56 PM   #529
DVD Talk Legend

People really were not hearing Metallica on the radio before Justice? The standards from both Lightning and Puppets were in heavy rotation in this area. They always sold out what is now called Key Arena as well.
Old 09-13-18, 03:00 PM   #530
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
People really were not hearing Metallica on the radio before Justice? The standards from both Lightning and Puppets were in heavy rotation in this area. They always sold out what is now called Key Arena as well.
They were on heavy rotation when college radio stations were still a thing around here when Kill 'Em All came out.

And yeah, by the time Master of Puppets came out, they would commonly be heard on other radio stations that played heavy music.
Old 09-13-18, 03:15 PM   #531
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth View Post
They were selling out arenas long before the "One" video came out. They filmed "One" in between the San Diego and Long Beach shows. And there were TWO shows at Long Beach. All three shows were in 10,000+ seat arenas. All sold out.
I was at one of the Long Beach shows - not sure which one.
Old 09-13-18, 03:20 PM   #532
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When I was 11 I walked by a music store in the mall and noticed the covers for Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets in the window. Went in and bought all three on cassette along with Maiden's Somewhere In Time even though I had never heard a note of either band or even who they were. I got them based on the album cover alone and when I got home I had my face melted off.
Old 09-13-18, 03:54 PM   #533
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
They were all over college radio. Every commercial station that played rock music would have a specialty metal hour or two and they'd play Metallica (though it took them awhile... Here in San Diego it was on KGB and it wasn't until Ride came out until they were played. And it even took a guest friend of the DJ to get that played)
Old 09-14-18, 04:00 AM   #534
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay, let me rephrase:

It's crazy how many people Metallica were packing into shows by the beginning of the Justice tour. Very little commercial radio play and virtually no MTV play prior to the One video, just word of mouth and non stop touring. And they were playing arenas.
Old 09-14-18, 09:04 AM   #535
DVD Talk Legend

And again, the lack of commercial airplay must have been a regional thing. Around the Seattle area they were played on the same stations that had adopted the hard/rock heavy metal format. There were two FM stations playing them just as often as the others and even one on AM. Those stations were getting amazing ratings given the bands in that genre were just as popular with their fans as the pop acts were with theirs, if not more so.
Old 09-14-18, 05:23 PM   #536
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Okay, let me rephrase:

It's crazy how many people Metallica were packing into shows by the beginning of the Justice tour. Very little commercial radio play and virtually no MTV play prior to the One video, just word of mouth and non stop touring. And they were playing arenas.
Yep. I was agreeing with you. Amazing. Truly amazing.

I remember seeing Megadeth in '86 at a club (Mentors opened). The club played the "Ride The Lightning" in between bands and there was a full on pit going. To a record! Never seen anything like that before. There definitely was "something in the air" about Metallica in their formative years.
Old 09-14-18, 06:41 PM   #537
Mostly Banned

Oh man, a Megadeth/Mentors club show in '86? I so wish I was there!
Old 09-17-18, 10:40 PM   #538
DVD Talk Limited Edition

AJFA Box

$173.24
https://www.deepdiscount.com/and-jus...l/858978005813

$180.49
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GW4MK54...v_ov_lig_dp_it

$189.97
https://www.bullmoose.com/p/28057501...-6lp-11cd-4dvd

Do you feel that hope is fading? Do you comprehend?
Do you feel it terminating? In the end... Blame the world, and blame your maker.
Hello darkness, Say goodbye!