Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Taylor Swift Speak Now Debuts At #1 (sold 1,047,000 1st week)

I had to bump this to say what a completely idiotic song Mean is. I actually like some of her stuff, but this song apparently strikes back at critics, who, rightfully so, say she can't sing live. It's a response that you'd hear from a 8 year old on the playground.
Old 04-08-11, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know it's directed at one specific critic.... and he started it!
Old 04-08-11, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

If you can successfuly navigate the choppy waters of this girl's mind, I'm sure she'll let you take a trip to Dirty Pete's Lake...
Old 04-11-11, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

This is the best song on the album

Surprised it has not been released as a single but remember if you hear this song later in the year and it is ringing in your ear Jeffthealpaca predicted it would be a hit on April 11, 2011

1:18-1:54

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oU6PlM81vp8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-15-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Taylor Swift - Red (10/22/12)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P6gFma4H7fA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Originally Posted by Taylor Swift
I wrote a song called ‘Red.’ And, thinking about what that means to me and all the different emotions that are written about on this album, they’re all pretty much the kind of tumultuous, crazy, insane, intense, semi-toxic relationships that I’ve experienced in the last two years. And, all those emotions spanning from intense love, intense frustration, jealousy, confusion, all of that, in my mind, all those emotions are red. There’s nothing in between. There’s nothing beige about any those feelings so I called the record ‘Red.’
Album is slated for release on October 22, 2012. No confirmed tracklist yet, but she said in the above-video it's going to be at least 16 songs, not including bonus tracks. There's reportedly an untitled duet with Ed Sheeran in addition to the title track and the first single, "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together," which you can listen to below:

<object width="575" height="324"><param name="movie" value="http://videoplayer.vevo.com/embed/Embedded?videoId=USCJY1231037&playlist=false&autoplay=0&playerId=62FF0A5C-0D9E-4AC1-AF04-1D9E97EE3961&playerType=embedded&env=0&cultureName=en-US&cultureIsRTL=False"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://videoplayer.vevo.com/embed/Embedded?videoId=USCJY1231037&playlist=false&autoplay=0&playerId=62FF0A5C-0D9E-4AC1-AF04-1D9E97EE3961 &playerType=embedded&env=0&cultureName=en-US&cultureIsRTL=False" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="575" height="324" bgcolor="#000000" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

Last edited by kstublen; 08-15-12 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-15-12, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Her music is banal, her lyrics vapid drivel. Such is the state of pop music...or is it new country?

Either way, people really enjoy this stuff, so more power to them.
Old 08-16-12, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Her music is banal, her lyrics vapid drivel. Such is the state of pop music...or is it new country?
Well, it didn't take long for the first thread crap. And so it goes here in the Music Forum.

I'm generally not a country fan but I'm looking forward to this release. Taylor Swift is maturing, and she's working with better and better people.
Old 08-16-12, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Well, it didn't take long for the first thread crap. And so it goes here in the Music Forum.

I'm generally not a country fan but I'm looking forward to this release. Taylor Swift is maturing, and she's working with better and better people.
Well said.

I'm not a big Taylor Swift fan, but my daughter and her friends love her. Taylor seems like a good kid. She writes her own songs and plays her own instrument, which used to be standard operating procedure, but is pretty rare these days. She seems genuine in interviews and tries to put out a positive message for her young fans. In the world of pop music, you could do a lot worse.

If anything bothers me, it's in her concert DVD where she acts shocked that people came out to her show and cheered for her. After three multi-platinum albums, an Album of the Year Grammy and a sold-out world tour, the "Y'all came to see little ol' me?" bit seems pretty phoney and disingenuous.
But otherwise, I don't have a problem with her.
Old 08-16-12, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm not a big Taylor Swift fan, but my daughter and her friends love her. Taylor seems like a good kid. She writes her own songs and plays her own instrument, which used to be standard operating procedure, but is pretty rare these days. She seems genuine in interviews and tries to put out a positive message for her young fans. In the world of pop music, you could do a lot worse.
Agreed. My two daughters love her, and she (for now) seems like a decent role model in a world filled with Snookies & Kardasians.

Country is one of my least favorite genres, but with two kids I do hear a lot of Swift. I kinda dig Safe & Sound (Hunger Games tune). It had a less "poppy" vibe to it. It'd be nice to get more of that on the new album.

Such a pleasant atmosphere to know you have to defend your musical tastes in every single thread around here.
Old 08-16-12, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
. I kinda dig Safe & Sound (Hunger Games tune). It had a less "poppy" vibe to it. It'd be nice to get more of that on the new album
Agreed. I really dug that song and would hear more of that type on this cd.

However, if it is all poppy, I will still get it no question. There is a certain sing alongness to her work that is just very enjoyable. I have already played that new song 17 times and counting. I don't know how it happens, it just... does.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-16-12 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-16-12, 10:13 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Taylor seems like a good kid. She writes her own songs and plays her own instrument, which used to be standard operating procedure, but is pretty rare these days. She seems genuine in interviews and tries to put out a positive message for her young fans. In the world of pop music, you could do a lot worse.
This.

She's really young. Not everyone can be Bob Dylan at 22 or whatever. My sincere hope is that in 20 years she'll have honed her craft and be another Lucinda Williams or Joni Mitchell.
Old 08-16-12, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by onebyone
Agreed. I really dug that song and would hear more of that type on this cd.

However, if it is all poppy, I will still get it no question. There is a certain sing alongness to her work that is just very enjoyable. I have already played that new song 17 times and counting. I don't know how it happens, it just... does.
I'm a fan of hers and am looking forward to this cd. While I haven't heard the new song yet, I have a tendency to just get stuck on certain songs of hers.
Old 08-16-12, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Reading those lyrics, it's pretty hard to believe that Taylor Swift is 'maturing'. She writes like a 13 year old and her music is bland, boring and predictable.
Old 08-17-12, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I'm come down in the middle based on just the first song. I agree with all the great stuff that's been posted about Taylor and having 2 girls of my own, it's fun to be able to see them both look up to someone in the celebrity world who's a good person, works hard, seems totally grounded and writes her songs. And where both mom and dad actually love most of the songs too and have fun at her concerts.

That said, I can't help but agree that this song doesn't show any growth at all. I have no idea what her actual life is like or how much growth see actually has gone through since the last album, but I expected something just a tad bit more mature just because I assumed Taylor, herself, is a tad bit mature.

It's catchy, she's got that formula down pat, but it sounds like someone in high school would write and she should be past that by now imho.
Old 08-17-12, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Looking forward to this. Loved the last album.
Old 08-17-12, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

I admit You Belong To Me is a great song.

Was Enchanted ever released as a single?

That was the best song on Speak Now.
Old 08-17-12, 10:57 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those saying this song is a step back stylistically, it should be noted that it was produced and co-written by Max Martin, the pop producer behind such songs as "Baby One More Time", "Since U Been Gone", "Raise Your Glass", and all the hits off Katy Perry's Teenage Dream album. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Mar...on_discography
Old 08-17-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Agreed. My two daughters love her, and she (for now) seems like a decent role model in a world filled with Snookies & Kardasians.

Country is one of my least favorite genres, but with two kids I do hear a lot of Swift.
Came here to say exactly that, leaving satisfied other people feel the same way.
Old 08-17-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank God my daughter seeks out interesting adventurous music and not pop pablum like this (it sure ain't country).
Old 08-17-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar
Thank God my daughter seeks out interesting adventurous music and not pop pablum like this (it sure ain't country).
I'm genuinely surprised that it took you two days to come into a thread about an artist you have no interest in to let us all know that your taste is superior to ours.
Old 08-17-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

I'm genuinely surprised that it took you two days to come into a thread about an artist you have no interest in to let us all know that your taste is superior to ours.
Well, to be fair, he actually let us know that his daughter's taste is superior to our daughter's tastes.
Old 08-17-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Old 08-18-12, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read that there is a "country" version that will also be made for country radio (cause i'm sure country radio wouldnt play this song as is
Old 08-18-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Glad to see everyone else at DVDTalk has two daughters like me. Or is it only the people who are reading and not crapping in the Taylor Swift thread?

I pretty much echo what Decker and Corvin said: She seems like a talented, down-to-earth person who's more likable than many celebs.

And I'm not a big country fan, so Swift/Underwood pop-country is just fine with me. My older kid told me to stop playing Love Story because she was tired of it.
Old 08-18-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

"Love Story" is one of the better pop songs of the last few years.

I didn't care for the second album, but will listen to the new one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.