Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-20, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 842 Likes on 687 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Reputation and 1989 were her best albums
Old 07-30-20, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,132 Likes on 4,840 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Reputation and 1989 were her best albums
Glad to see your terrible takes don't stop at sports.

Old 07-30-20, 04:04 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,312 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It really does, doesn't it?

Did you make this?

Also, Opeth even has a song called Folklore!

Old 07-30-20, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,128 Posts

No, found it with a google search.
Old 07-31-20, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,654 Likes on 1,787 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It really does, doesn't it?
Spoiler:

There's a surprisingly large amount of stuff on google images when you look for TAYLOR SWIFT BLACK METAL.

Maybe she's going to do a Poppy on us.

Absolutely, (metal nerd mode: Opeth was technically a death metal band who drifted into prog metal, not a black metal band) there are literally dozens of examples of covers that look like that as a lot of black metal bands are big into nature, forests, snowy mountains, etc. as themes. It's funny, I was on a metal forum yesterday and they noticed the same thing and also posted those Taylor Swift black metal style t-shirts.
Old 07-31-20, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,273 Posts

I was testing some sound equipment the other day and used Swift videos on Youtube to do it. I heard her use "Shit" and "Fuck Off". I didn't know she worked "blue".
Old 07-31-20, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I was testing some sound equipment the other day and used Swift videos on Youtube to do it. I heard her use "Shit" and "Fuck Off". I didn't know she worked "blue".
That's "betty" with two F-bombs. I really like that track, kind of a throwback to her old high school drama storytelling stuff like "You Belong With Me", but with a decided rougher edge
Old 08-01-20, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,128 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Absolutely, (metal nerd mode: Opeth was technically a death metal band who drifted into prog metal, not a black metal band)
True, but the cover does remind me a lot of "Blackwater Park," which is probably what the person who made the cover was thinking too.

(If I was doing a metal parody of the "Folklore" cover, I would have used a scratchy "black metal" stylized Täylor Svvift or something, but I can't use any kind of graphics program more sophisticated than Windows 7 Paint.)

Old 08-01-20, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can buy the CD at Amazon and Target on Aug 7, 2020.

Target has their store exclusive but if you want the hidden bonus song "The Lakes" you have to buy the CD at her website and you can't download it.

Try to think of another time when a star released an album with a physical-only bonus track — but that physical product was only made available online, through one website, with a weeks-long shipping delay. Therein lies the marketing genius of Taylor Swift’s Folklore, which dropped on Friday, sans one rare track.

It’s not uncommon for an artist to offer bonus tracks on physical products like CDs and vinyl records: Such tactics help boost the appeal of owning a physical album and can drive consumers to spend more money in the streaming age. Swift has offered physical bonus tracks several times in past releases, encouraging fans to pick up special deluxe editions in hard copy for those Easter-egg songs. But fans can normally rush to a Target, Walmart, or Best Buy on release day to get their hands on these extra-precious versions. The cassettes, CDs, and vinyl versions of Swift’s Folklore — which feature the not-yet-heard bonus song “The Lakes” — are only available to purchase on taylorswift.com, and those items are not due to ship for half a month at the earliest.

This decision to limit the special album versions’ sale to Swift’s official site was most likely influenced by the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left many physical businesses facing supply-chain problems or closures. But if Swift had wanted to get “The Lakes” into the hands of fans instantly, she still could’ve allowed fans to digitally download the song upon placing their physical orders.

According to Swift’s official website, CDs are expected to ship within two to three weeks of their purchase. Cassettes, on the other hand, take eight weeks, while vinyl takes a whopping 16 weeks — just in time for Thanksgiving. While this drawn-out timeline could very well be a result of manufacturing necessities, it’s most likely intentional: Making fans wait two to 16 weeks for an extra song is a great way of keeping fans interested in an album, long after the rest of the record drops.

Old 08-01-20, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 703 Likes on 456 Posts

I listened to the album once so far and it was a nice return to form for her. I still need to listen a few more times to really digest the lyrics. It was very refreshing to hear more piano and guitar, and the fake instruments were really toned down which allows her songwriting and storytelling to shine. Her vocals still seemed a little too soft, almost as if she wants people to think it's an actual folk album. From what I did gather from the lyrics, these are still high school era songs, which is disappointing coming from a 30 year old. I'm obviously not her target demographic but have been able to appreciate her songwriting ever since I first heard "Tim McGraw", mainly because of how well she can relate her story to her audience. I remember when she first came on the scene thinking how enjoyable her music would be as she gets older and writes more songs about real world situations like jobs, and bills, and kids; but when you make a half a billion dollar in your twenties, I guess you don't get those experiences to write about.
Old 08-01-20, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by John Galt
I listened to the album once so far and it was a nice return to form for her. I still need to listen a few more times to really digest the lyrics. It was very refreshing to hear more piano and guitar, and the fake instruments were really toned down which allows her songwriting and storytelling to shine. Her vocals still seemed a little too soft, almost as if she wants people to think it's an actual folk album. From what I did gather from the lyrics, these are still high school era songs, which is disappointing coming from a 30 year old. I'm obviously not her target demographic but have been able to appreciate her songwriting ever since I first heard "Tim McGraw", mainly because of how well she can relate her story to her audience. I remember when she first came on the scene thinking how enjoyable her music would be as she gets older and writes more songs about real world situations like jobs, and bills, and kids; but when you make a half a billion dollar in your twenties, I guess you don't get those experiences to write about.
I took it to be an introspective album. Written and recorded entirely during quarantine, she was feeling reflective. Maybe going through old memory books and photo albums triggered feelings that she wanted to revisit. And of course, not all of the album is about high school romances, but there's a thread or theme that runs through several songs enough to consider them a connected story - it's no accident that "betty" includes the line about "Standing in your cardigan".
Old 08-01-20, 10:18 AM

Received 214 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
You can buy the CD at Amazon and Target on Aug 7, 2020.

Target has their store exclusive but if you want the hidden bonus song "The Lakes" you have to buy the CD at her website and you can't download it.
Smart girl.
Old 08-01-20, 10:54 AM

Received 703 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I took it to be an introspective album. Written and recorded entirely during quarantine, she was feeling reflective. Maybe going through old memory books and photo albums triggered feelings that she wanted to revisit. And of course, not all of the album is about high school romances, but there's a thread or theme that runs through several songs enough to consider them a connected story - it's no accident that "betty" includes the line about "Standing in your cardigan".
Yeah, I think that's a trilogy of songs from what I've read. I'm going to give the album a few more spins and read the lyrics.
Old 09-11-20, 08:13 PM

I'm curious if those of you who were cool to the album initially have warmed to it. I keep coming back to it and am enjoying it more and more, finding more songs that I like and get stuck in my head now. "invisible string", "mad woman", "illicit affairs", "august", even "seven" have all grown on me. I kind of wish she had ended with "peace" instead of "hoax" since I think "peace" feels like a nice summation of the sentiments of the album.
In any case I just love it and find it endlessly listenable, easily her best album in my book even without the ear-catching hook-filled pop hits that made some of her recent albums like Lover and 1989 so successful.

Ironic that her pop "Rivals" Lady Gaga and Katy Perry had much more lavishly produced, traditional pop albums and they didn't move the needle at all.
Old 09-12-20, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm curious if those of you who were cool to the album initially have warmed to it. I keep coming back to it and am enjoying it more and more, finding more songs that I like and get stuck in my head now.

In any case I just love it and find it endlessly listenable
answering even though I was never cold to it, certainly was cold to the artist and never would have given it the time of day without the Dessner involvement .... but yes, this album is endlessly listenable

great time for female voices these days with the most recents from Swift, Bridgers, Del Rey, and Crutchfield
Old 12-10-20, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Another new album coming out at midnight tonight. Hope it's as good as Folklore. I really enjoy that album, and I would not normally consider myself a Swift fan.
Old 12-10-20, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

This is the greatest album ever released.
Old 12-14-20, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Trelach24
This is the greatest album ever released.
I assume that’s sarcasm. I am warming to it. I don’t think it’s as strong as folklore or as polished. Still it’s good and a little more ambitious and raw. I told my daughter this is her Zooropa after folklore was her Achtung Baby — a quick collection of kinda B-Sides, not the classic album, but still pretty interesting.
I was stoked to see a collaboration with HAIM as those two acts released easily my two favorite albums of 2020. The song isn’t one I love, but it’s alright. Likewise her duet with Bon Iver isn’t close to the classic that “exile” is, but I like it (and the nod to Cats bombing).
My favorite track by far is “ivy”. That is a really good song.
Old 12-14-20, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess you can put a fork into seeing any more singles and music videos from the Lover album now
Old 12-15-20, 01:40 AM

Hey, I just read the Variety review of this album and they went with the U2 analogy as well!

The closest analog for the relation the new album bears to its predecessor might be one that’d seem ancient to much of Swift’s audience: U2 following “Achtung Baby” with “Zooropa” while still touring behind the previous album. It’s hard to remember now that a whole year and a half separated those two related projects; In that very different era, it seemed like a ridiculously fast follow-up. But the real comparison lies in how U2, having been rewarded for making a pretty gutsy change of pace with “Achtung,” seemed to say: You’re okay with a little experimentation? Let’s see how you like it when we really boil things down to our least commercial impulses, then — while we’ve still got you in the mood.

Old 12-23-20, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is old but if you want the endorphins to kick and a mood lifter listen to this.

Old 12-23-20, 07:09 PM

^ I absolutely loathed that remix. Totally destroyed a beautiful song.
Old 12-24-20, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like both versions and the official music video
Old 12-28-20, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another remix

Old 01-04-21, 05:18 AM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest I am not a big fan of Taylor Swift but sometimes I listen to her songs when I need to clear my hear or when I cook. Most of her songs are really cheerful

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.