Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Looks like somebody copied her sound from the late 2000's to early 2010's

Old 02-11-21, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

As predicted, Taylor has started rerecording her catalog in order to reclaim her earlier work from Scooter Braun. Love Story rerecording drops at midnight tonight.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ngs-from-vault
Old 02-11-21, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

So how does this work exactly? Do the old songs still remain where ever they currently are (streaming services, etc.) and there are just new rerecordings that have to be licensed separately that she owns? Or do the old ones go away eventually for some reason?
Old 02-11-21, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
So how does this work exactly? Do the old songs still remain where ever they currently are (streaming services, etc.) and there are just new rerecordings that have to be licensed separately that she owns? Or do the old ones go away eventually for some reason?
The old ones will still exist. I guess she just wants people to buy the new ones and stream the new versions instead.

She had announced her intentions back when the Braun deal went down
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...n-deal-1233621
Old 02-11-21, 01:18 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It reminds me of how many old hits are frequently re-recordings. Sam and Dave, Temptations, and the like. I never fully understood it, but it’s a rights issue thing where they don’t own the publishing so by recording a new version they retained some additional royalties, or something.
Old 02-11-21, 02:01 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Ozzy re-recorded his first two albums a while back with different bass and drums to avoid paying royalties. I wonder if Taylor Swift is using new musicians in the re-recordings? The original ones may not be super happy if that is the case.
Old 02-11-21, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Ozzy re-recorded his first two albums a while back with different bass and drums to avoid paying royalties. I wonder if Taylor Swift is using new musicians in the re-recordings? The original ones may not be super happy if that is the case.
I suspect that the albums she'll be re-recording used session musicians who probably wouldn't be earning royalties anyway.
Old 02-12-21, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It will be interesting to hear her rerecord songs she wrote with a 18 or 19 year old mindset.
Old 02-12-21, 08:41 AM

Here you go

Old 02-12-21, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

I've been a huge fan since "Red" so I'm looking forward to hearing the older stuff. I've known about the Scooter Braun stuff for awhile now so I didn't want to support giving him any money by buying/streaming any of that stuff previously.
Old 02-12-21, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

I know Public Enemy did this with a handful of songs and those are the ones that ended up being used in recent films and so forth--"Can't Truss It" at the end of American Gangster is probably the most prominent example. In their case I think they excised some samples, which would allow them to avoid sharing the money with the people that own the songs they sampled. A placement in a prominent film can rack up big bucks for artists.
Old 02-12-21, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don’t listen to her super regularly, but on occasion I’ll hear a song on the radio, and my girlfriend likes her. It’ll be kind of interesting to hear how the new versions of her old songs sound. Obviously she’s at a different place in her life, and her voice has developed over time.
Old 02-12-21, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JeremyM
I know Public Enemy did this with a handful of songs and those are the ones that ended up being used in recent films and so forth--"Can't Truss It" at the end of American Gangster is probably the most prominent example. In their case I think they excised some samples, which would allow them to avoid sharing the money with the people that own the songs they sampled. A placement in a prominent film can rack up big bucks for artists.
The Taylor Swift situation is completely different in that she is not doing this to avoid paying royalties for money reasons. She's doing this because an "abuser" is profiting off her work. She wanted to work with the new company that bought her old masters but they told her they still had a deal with Scooter Braun and he would still be making money off her so that's why she is doing this.
The following users liked this post:
Decker (02-12-21)
Old 02-18-21, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard this on Sirius with Bon Iver

Old 02-18-21, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Speaking of re-recording old albums, Twisted Sister re-recorded their classic "Stay Hungry" album about twenty years ago.

I seem to recall they did it because Atlantic Records held the rights to the album and refused to remaster it along with the rest of their catalog. So they just re-recorded all of the songs (and a few new ones to sweeten the pot) and released them as "Still Hungry."

That was always a terrible sounding album, anyway. The original pressing of the CD sounded awful, like a cassette. It was one of those mid-80s albums that was released in the early days of the CD format, and nobody really knew what they were doing, and it sounds thin, hissy, and quiet, which is really disappointing for such a bombastic album. I have the original LP, and it doesn't sound bad, but the mp3 rips of the CD I've heard are really bad.

But I'm not really a fan of re-recording albums. Even if it technically sounds better, it just lacks the original pedigree. You really can't go home again...
morriscroy (02-18-21)
Old 02-18-21, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Speaking of re-recording old albums, Twisted Sister re-recorded their classic "Stay Hungry" album about twenty years ago.

I seem to recall they did it because Atlantic Records held the rights to the album and refused to remaster it along with the rest of their catalog. So they just re-recorded all of the songs (and a few new ones to sweeten the pot) and released them as "Still Hungry."

That was always a terrible sounding album, anyway. The original pressing of the CD sounded awful, like a cassette. It was one of those mid-80s albums that was released in the early days of the CD format, and nobody really knew what they were doing, and it sounds thin, hissy, and quiet, which is really disappointing for such a bombastic album. I have the original LP, and it doesn't sound bad, but the mp3 rips of the CD I've heard are really bad.

But I'm not really a fan of re-recording albums. Even if it technically sounds better, it just lacks the original pedigree. You really can't go home again...
I thought Still Hungry sounded like horrible sludge. I largely ignore its existence.

In spite of Stay Hungry being reflective of the crappy 80s era TomWerman style productions, I still think it fit Twister Sister quite well.

Another 80s metal band and which did this was LA Guns re-recording 1989s "Cocked & Loaded", and releasing it as "Cocked & Re-Loaded" in 2000 (or 2001). Purported this was done for similar reasons, where Vertigo didn't let the band have access to the original master tapes.
Old 03-08-21, 04:13 PM

There's a new The Ringer Network Podcast called Every Single Album which will follow an artist's career album-by-album. The first 10-episode, 5-week season will be on Taylor Swift. The first episode went up last night and the second will be on Thursday

The Questyen (03-10-21)
Old 03-10-21, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
There's a new The Ringer Network Podcast called Every Single Album which will follow an artist's career album-by-album. The first 10-episode, 5-week season will be on Taylor Swift. The first episode went up last night and the second will be on Thursday

https://twitter.com/NoraPrinciotti/s...338196994?s=20
I'm all in on this. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-11-21, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd be interested in the podcast for other artists. I don't really have a problem with Taylor anymore (I do think she's a little phony) but she's beautiful and talented, so more power to her.
Old 03-11-21, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

The new Love Story sounded pretty much the same to me, but I did Taylor a solid by swapping it into one of my playlists in place of the old version.
The following 2 users liked this post by davidh777:
[email protected] (03-11-21), Decker (03-11-21)
Old 03-15-21, 04:33 PM

I think it's fantastic! Listened to it over and over again. My indie-loving daughter tells me "Taylor really eats on this album", which apparently means it's very good.
Originally Posted by OldBoy
I thought it sucked. Sucked. I was skipping through songs. I made her folder with older hits and just wanted to hear those. This was soulful and adult no doubt, but I don’t really like Swift for that. I guess I just like her pop stuff. This was, with the exception of maybe 2 songs, not at all replayable for me. Maybe I’ll try again after your recommend, but first listen was a travesty...
I mean music is subjective, and this is certainly a departure from her poppy stuff. But I think it's great and gets better on relisten. FWIW it currently has a Metacritic score of 89 ​​​​​, by far the highest score of her career. You may not like it, but I assure you that it does not suck.
Grammys : Album of the Year. Does not suck.

Congrats on being the first woman, and fourth artist ever (after Frank Sinatra, Stevie Wonder and Paul Simon) to win the top award, Album of the Year, three times.
Old 03-15-21, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well deserved.
Old 03-16-21, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

https://twitter.com/NoraPrinciotti/s...338196994?s=20
Listened to the first two and this is a really great format even with being pretty unfamiliar with these first two albums. Love the in depth discussion and the categories they chose. Would love to see this continued with other artists.
Decker (03-16-21)
Old 03-16-21, 05:20 PM

I haven't listened to her first two albums hardly at all. So I skipped it so far. Was planning to start mid-career when I started getting her albums, but maybe I will listen to the whole thing.
Old 03-25-21, 03:50 PM

I skipped the first pocast but listened to Fearless and Speak Now episodes and you're right, they're amazing. So thorough and thoughtful and well-researched. They must have spent a half-hour on "Dear John" alone. I guess on some level I always realized that her band was aping a Mayer guitar sound on that song but when you realize what a copy job it actually is, you really appreciate the venom that went into that track.
Re-listening to Red now before taking on that podcast and then I think 1989 comes out later today.
The Questyen (03-25-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.