Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Def Leppard & REO Speedwagon last night. At the end of the show Rick Savage signed an 8x10 I had of one of my favorite shots I took back in May. My shots from last night = https://www.flickr.com/photos/223254...57672447415885
Old 08-14-16, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Eric Burdon & "the animals" pretty sub par. It's kind of a bummer because he still has the voice to do those songs, but instead he chose to change up all the arrangements. He ended up doing sorta talk singing the whole time.
Less than a month until Black Sabbath and ELO. Separate shows obviously.
Old 08-19-16, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Went to a show last night .. got a $10 presale GA ticket for

Scorpion Child ... I like their two albums, they were good live .. the singer really belted the songs out, the band sounded good, they moved around a lot for the small stage they were on .. but something seemed a little lacking. I did not dislike their show by any means, it just did not grab me

Simo ... I had heard from a few people he is a great guitar player ... but holy crap, he was just fricking awesome as was the bass player and drummer. Incredibly good musicians. During parts of the show, it seemed like he was playing a million notes a minute, but still kept is sounding very musical and keeping meaning in all the notes with a bluesy kind of soul. They guy is a damn good singer as well, they closed with a cover of With a Little Help From My Friends that was unbelievably good. I was just floored how good these guys were, I bought their new album after their set .. Mr. Simo was kind enough to sign it, chatted with him for a few minutes, seems like a nice guy on top of it. Hope they come around again soon ... must see act IMO. Run, do not walk if you see him playing anywhere near you.

Ace Frehley. I first saw Ace with Kiss in the late 70s ... He was always my favorite guy in the band. They play at ear bleeding noise levels, but still sounds pretty clean. I thought he put on a good show, one of the better ones I have seen from him . Dropping all the booze and drugs has been good for his playing and singing, he was sloppy as hell during his 80s/90s solo tours. Fun show, good mix of Kiss tunes and his solo stuff.
Old 08-24-16, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Caught Alice Cooper last night. Another great show. Those 68 year old pipes can still do it!
Old 08-24-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ween in Philadelphia this past Sunday.

The Avett Brothers the Sunday before...
Old 08-24-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a really good couple of weeks. Saw Richard Buckner and Two Cow Garage in Ohio and took a road trip to Toronto to see Tragically Hip one last time.
Old 08-24-16, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Just got tickets to S U R V I V E - at The Echo on Sunset in October. When I woke up this morning tickets were like $12.50 before jumping up to $14.50 then they became unavailable. Just got an alert saying they were back on sale and scored mine.

Thats should be a great show considering how small the venue is. Never been to a "synth wave" show either.
Old 08-25-16, 11:59 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Last few shows in the last few weeks.

The National at the Greek in Berkely.
Band of Horses - Paramount Seattle.
Banks & Steelz - Crocodile Settle.

Next Week - Macklemore - one of the camping trip shows in WA
Old 08-25-16, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Prophets of Rage. Unbelievable concert.
Old 08-25-16, 02:11 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

3 Springsteen shows over the next week (the first night on Tuesday was his longest US show at just shy of 4 hours), with Prophets or Rage in between.
Old 08-25-16, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just got tickets to KRS-One next month!

I'm going to start my vacation this year erasing one of last years vacations biggest disappointments, when I found myself in Liverpool jaw on the ground staring at a poster announcing KRS-Ones' visit to Liverpool, which I missed by 2 days. I was gutted.
Old 08-25-16, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Prophets of Rage. Unbelievable concert.
I saw them in Toronto and had a blast, Awolnation was a great opener and then Prophets blew the roof off the place - was right at the front for the first half of the show, when Chuck D and B Real came up to the barrier to do their rap set, I was right there. The crowd was going insane at that moment and it was like being trapped in some sort of weird undertow, but totally worth it. I backed off for the last half, which I regretted once DAVE GROHL came out as a special guest to play "Kick Out the Jams" with them... it was an epic night.
Old 08-27-16, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 744 Likes on 369 Posts

Just got back from "Weird Al" Yankovic. Great show from Al, as always.
Old 08-28-16, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 357 Likes on 231 Posts

Just saw The Dresden Dolls at Coney Island. Great concert, though I had a couple songs I wish they'd played. We were behind a camera man, so my kids got to go up to the front section for free (might have helped that they were all dragged up.)

This is the farthest I've gone for a concert, as we live in Oregon.
Old 08-28-16, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

While it wasn't a concert really, I did go to a book signing & reading with John Doe of X (I missed him doing 3 songs acoustically right at the start) for his new book, "Under the Big Black Sun: A Personal History of L.A. Punk" and got my vinyl Los Angeles signed. 3 of the chapter authors were there too. Chris Morris, Tom DeSavia (he co-wrote the book) and Chris D of the FleshEaters and they all signed the book as well.

Old 08-28-16, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Had quite the classic hard rock/metal experience the past week. On 8/21 I was in the front row for Black Sabbath in Bristow, VA. I was going to be directly in front of Tony Iommi so I decided to make a small sign stating that "For my birthday tomorrow the only thing I want is a guitar pick from Tony Iommi tonight." After the opening song ("Black Sabbath") I held the sign up at which point Tony leaned in, read it, smiled and nodded affirmatively. At the end of the show he walked up and looked at me and then tossed a handful of picks to me. To say the least that was a very cool thing of him to do. The show was awesome and it was a bucket list concert to finally see them in action.

Last night I saw AC/DC with Axl Rose and was completely blown away! Axl was incredible and to get to hear "Live Wire" performed for the first time since 1982 was special, especially since it is right up there as one of my favorite AC/DC songs. "Sin City" was also a highlight. My pics from the show = https://www.flickr.com/photos/223254...96886250/page1
Old 08-30-16, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Fixx in Boston (Somerville, actually).

I've seen them three times in the last three years---really good show. I think they've been touring the US pretty much non-stop for about five years.

They're playing small places, but they're always sold out and they get a great reception.

I see a lot of 80's bands whose most popular days are long behind them, but the thing is--if they've survived this long, generally they've given up the heavy drugs/drinking, they've got a lot more years of playing and performing experience, and the equipment is better. For a lot of these bands, if the singer's voice has held up, they generally sound better now than they did in their heyday.

And, I respect them for still putting out new stuff:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4iMYBthAKxI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-04-16, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Just went to Punk Rock Karaoke. A live band, featuring Stan Lee and Edward Tatar of The Dickies, and Greg Hetson of Bad Religion and the Circle Jerks. Don't know who the drummer was, but I know on previous tours it was Eric Melvin of The Melvins. It took a few IPAs before I put my name on the list, but I finally ended up singing Suspect Device by Stiff Little Fingers towards the end. Good times. A lot of people with stage fright (and I felt bad for the guy who was prepared to sing Sonic Reducer, only to end up having the band play Wild in the Streets). Best performances were some guy doing Astro Zombies, and later on a guy really belting out Ace of Spades.
Old 09-06-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Riot Fest Denver

Bands I saw that were highlights:
The Aquabats
Lagwagon
Lillingtons
Suicidal Tendencies
Descendents
NoFx
Bad Religion
Misfits
Gogol Bordello
Murder by Death
Old 09-06-16, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Deftones
Old 09-12-16, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

KISS on Friday night. Unfortunately I did not get a shot of the middle aged guy who really should not have been in spandex wearing a full on Peter Criss costume. My pics from the show = https://www.flickr.com/photos/223254...57670469373524
Old 09-12-16, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Kraftwerk in Dallas the other night. Great spectacle and perfect sound.
Old 09-12-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Weird Al Saturday night. Fantastic!
Old 09-12-16, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw Kraftwerk a few years back and it was great.

Last night went to see Wolves in the Throne Room. Want to do it properly again on a night that's not a schoolnight so I can stay out the entire time.
Old 09-13-16, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Specials at House of Blues in Boston. They're down to just the singer, bass player and rhythm guitarist from the original lineup, but they're still bringing it. Full house and they were literally dancing in the aisles all night.

I do knock off a star on the fact that it's just an "oldies" tour, and no new stuff---one of my pet peeves. When you've been reunited and touring for for like seven years now, get off your ass and write a new tune here and there. But the old ones are vintage, and they sound better than ever.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.