Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-16, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Saw Black Sabbath outside of Chicago a week ago and Sunday I saw ELO at the Hollywood Bowl. Both shows were amazing.
Old 09-16-16, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Saw Wilco last night. And as usual, they put on a fantastic show; almost 3 hours, songs from every album. But most impressive was their sound. Seriously, whoever is their sound engineer needs a prize. It was one of the best mixed, leveled, and perfectly EQed live shows I've ever heard. It sounded like a studio recording - like in a good way, they definitely played their songs mostly different from their studio versions, but the sound was so good, it just sounded like a perfectly mixed/mastered recording, more so than any other live show I've been to - and I've been to a fuck ton!

And I'd be remiss if I didn't show off the newly renovated Ace Theater in downtown LA where they played.

Old 09-16-16, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ That theater looks great.

Mike Peters of The Alarm in Londonderry, NH last night.

I believe I've seen him there every September for the last 4 years. He's one of the true good guys of rock, IMO. He puts on a great solo show, he always has great stories of the early punk years in the UK, and when the show is over he's out in the lobby to take pictures and to chat with every single fan.
Old 09-21-16, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Just got back from seeing Chant (or chant, or chAnt, not sure how it's typed out.)
http://www.chantproject.com/
Excellent show. I saw them open for KMFDM last year, and actually enjoyed their show more.
They are the main act on this tour, Curse Mackey formerly of Pigface opened. He started with some weird ambient improvised remix of one of his songs - chatting with him after the show, I said it was the musical version of watching the final scenes of 2001 at 3 AM while buzzed. (That's a good thing.)

Chant was awesome. A lot of stuff off their newest album Brand New Apocalypse, and some older and not yet released tracks. The lightshow was mesmerizing as well. And Bradley is a very friendly guy - before the show he was walking around greeting people and came to me saying "Hey, I met you last time didn't I? How've you been?" and we chatted for about ten minutes, then he hung around the merch table for about a half hour after the show talking to people.
The sad thing was that due to various factors (Tuesday night, gas crisis, the Cult was playing nearby, and Chant not yet making it big) there was not more than 10 paying guests there. And they got here late because they had car trouble. But all that said, they all put on an incredible show, and did not appear frustrated or angry about any of that.
I'll watch for them and I'm definitely seeing them again.

Spoiler:

spoilered pics
(first pic, Curse is on the left with his hand up)

Last edited by tonyc3742; 09-21-16 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-21-16, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AC/DC in Philly last night. Incredibly emotional show with Cliff finishing up and it appearing more and more like this is the end for the band.
Old 09-22-16, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Just wrapped up a decent week. Rob Thomas last Tuesday (was for my wife, he was pretty good and we skipped Counting Crows), Prophets of Rage on Saturday night (was really good and I'm not really a megafan of any of the 3 bands, Morello was outstanding), and Black Sabbath tonight.

Sabbath was pretty much out of this world. I can't believe how good they still are live. Ozzy's stage banter is lacking, but that's a very minor complaint. Iommi is pretty much God.
Old 09-22-16, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith6601
AC/DC in Philly last night. Incredibly emotional show with Cliff finishing up and it appearing more and more like this is the end for the band.
If Angus did something similar to what Slash did with Myles Kennedy, he could go another decade I bet. I just hope he doesn't insist on calling it AC/DC. I mean its not like he needs the money. Calling it "Angus Young w/", could still pull at least 10 000 people a show. More if its Axl.
Old 09-26-16, 12:21 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Saw a Anthrax headlining show in Chicago last week (they are currently opening for Slayer). Death Angel opened. Both were great, I was really impressed with Death Angel this time, but they only played a few songs, maybe 7, a very short yet. It would have been nice if they could have extended their set to account for being direct openers to Anthrax.

I had my daughter take some videos from the back while I enjoyed my spot in the front of the pit.

Old 09-26-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw bruce @ Metlife on Aug 25.. 4hour plus show

amazing
Old 09-26-16, 08:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was at Ozzfest Meets KnotFest this past weekend. Good time all around. Highlights were: Municipal Waste, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Sabataon, Amon Amarth, Slayer and Anthrax. Lowlights: Not being able to see Devildriver, Hatebreed and most of Suicidal Tendencies due to them performing at the same time that other bands were performing. Motionless in White kinda sucked and shouldn't of been on the Main stage. Also the Fires were a bit out of control. At least 7 fires on Saturday. It was getting hard to breathe when Sabbath hit the stage and it took awhile to get into it. No one was out there to put those fires out. They used to, but for some reason they didn't do it this year.
Old 09-28-16, 07:51 AM

Dinosaur Jr. @ Saturn in Birmingham, AL on 9/13.

Awesome show at a small venue.

Last edited by Byron_T; 09-28-16 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-28-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
The Specials at House of Blues in Boston. They're down to just the singer, bass player and rhythm guitarist from the original lineup, but they're still bringing it. Full house and they were literally dancing in the aisles all night.

I do knock off a star on the fact that it's just an "oldies" tour, and no new stuff---one of my pet peeves. When you've been reunited and touring for for like seven years now, get off your ass and write a new tune here and there. But the old ones are vintage, and they sound better than ever.
What did you think of their lead guitar player for the tour? He's one of my favorite guitar players, from the British band Ocean Colour Scene, and he also plays for Paul Weller. I would've gone to the Specials show, but they skipped LA for some reason.
Old 09-28-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
What did you think of their lead guitar player for the tour? He's one of my favorite guitar players, from the British band Ocean Colour Scene, and he also plays for Paul Weller. I would've gone to the Specials show, but they skipped LA for some reason.
I didn't really notice him--and I guess I mean that as a compliment.

I last saw The Specials in 2013, when they still had Roddy Radiation. This recent show sounded just as good, if not better. His guitar parts were all very clean and appropriate, and he was totally in sync with the big picture of the band.
Old 09-28-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Ghost on Sep 27 in Tulsa, OK.
Old 09-28-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Went to Jack FM show here in Irvine, CA. I was wanting to see one last show at Irvine Meadows this summer, but ended up getting tickets for the final show (Gwen Stefani) on Oct 30.

Chevy Metal

Violent Femmes

Everlast & House of Pain (No video)

Garbage

The Cult

and Jane's Addiction
Old 09-28-16, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

The Sunday night I went to Vidiots (Video store in Santa Monica) for "A Night Of LA Punk" book signing, video clips and a (short) performance from John Doe and Exene from X. Got there early and was RIGHT in front of John and Exene for their two songs.

In This House, That I Call Home

The New World

It's like they played in my living room and I was thrilled to be right up front for it.
Old 09-29-16, 07:01 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Saw bruce @ Metlife on Aug 25.. 4hour plus show

amazing
I was there all 3 nights. The final night was my favorite. Amazing setlist. Went to the book event in Freehold and got a picture with him and signed copy of the book. Went to the Apple event last night. Going to the New Yorker talk next week.
Old 09-29-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Angel Olsen
Thalia Hall - Chicago
09/28/16

Old 09-29-16, 10:32 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

^^^ Her new album is great.
Old 09-29-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I like her guitar in that shot.
Old 10-04-16, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Ghost w/Carpenter Brut at the Filmore Detroit last night. Great show.
Old 10-04-16, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Ghost w/Carpenter Brut at the Filmore Detroit last night. Great show.
I was wondering who was opening for them, wonder if that's for the whole tour? I'm looking forward to seeing Ghost in Toronto next month!
Old 10-04-16, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I think Carpenter Brut is only with them for the next 2 dates. I don't know who they have opening after that.
Old 10-05-16, 07:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw Counting Crows/Rob Thomas a few weeks back and The Lumineers last night.

People put away your goddman phones. Annoying as hell to see all these screens
Old 10-05-16, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I would've gone to the Specials show, but they skipped LA for some reason.
Even stranger is they played here in San Diego. It's very often the other way around, forcing us San Diegans to make the drive to LA.

Last night I saw Shonen Knife on the opening night of a US tour. What a fun band. First time I've seen them with their new drummer Risa. They keep finding great new drummers. I loved Etsuko, who really was a hard hitter for such a tiny girl. Then they got Emi, who had a great voice and crazy energy (often standing up while playing, then jumping over her kit at the end of a song). Risa, the new girl, looked like she was literally having the best time of her entire life last night.

And for a band formed in 1981, it's very much not a "self-tribute" show that so many older bands do. Very few classic songs, and most of the set was from their recent albums.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.