Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

MADONNA: "Hard Candy" -April 2008 [was "Licorice"]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

MADONNA: "Hard Candy" -April 2008 [was "Licorice"]

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 08:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
why do I get the sense that DC is going to get shafted again... interesting that the US tour dates are Sat, Sun, and Monday night shows.
Old 05-15-08, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my thought is they're going to do what they did with the confessions tour - add more dates to existing cities after one sells out... initially last tour she only scheduled one date in vegas but played two... and only scheduled 1 date in chicago but ended up with either 4 or 5... but I betcha she doesn't add any new cities!
Old 05-15-08, 05:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
but as I recall her last tour went to Philly as well - it's DC's turn. Her tour publicist is a douche for this.
Old 05-19-08, 04:16 PM

so far...no Phoenix....sniff sniff...(more tissues please).
It's too expensive for me to drive/fly anywhere so I guess I won't be seeing her show.
Old 05-27-08, 06:50 PM

Got tickets for Denver

Yes, yes, yes!!!!! I got 18th row tickets for the Sticky and Sweet tour in Denver today.

She finally comes to Denver and I finally get to see her live after 25 years of patiently waiting
Old 05-28-08, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if she came within driving distance, I'd consider. But the nearest she's coming is 500 miles and considering 1. I think Hard Candy is the worst album of her career (I like a few songs, but it's a real letdown), 2. ticket prices are $350 and 3. gas is so expensive and I'd probably need to fill up twice on my way to see her, I'll pass this tour. It's not like we won't have another album/tour in 2-3 years.
Old 05-28-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sorry but $350 is way too fucking much for anyone. It'd be one thing if only floors were this much but entire lower bowl seats are going for $350 here... I mean, the most I've ever paid for a concert is like $120 and those were some damn good seats, so I couldn't justify dropping the cash on this one... hey Madonna, not all your fans are as rich as you are...
Old 05-28-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Was it me or was the season finale of Ugly Betty only filled with tracks from this disc?
Old 05-29-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Was it me or was the season finale of Ugly Betty only filled with tracks from this disc?
Hard Candy and the track "Jump" from Confessions.
Old 05-30-08, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I'm sorry but $350 is way too fucking much for anyone. It'd be one thing if only floors were this much but entire lower bowl seats are going for $350 here... I mean, the most I've ever paid for a concert is like $120 and those were some damn good seats, so I couldn't justify dropping the cash on this one... hey Madonna, not all your fans are as rich as you are...
I agree. What kills me is that her prices are so insane knowing America is in a bad economic recession. I know that artists aren't making money off cd's anymore and touring's the way to go, but would it kill Madonna to lower prices down to $150-250 tops? I mean, maybe she might only make $70 million instead of $100 million off the tour, but so what. Right now is not a good economic time and people are saving, and a lot of fans I know who usually go every tour and are skipping this year for financial reasons. I think some singers like her and Streisand have been so famous for so long that they've lost touch with reality. Less than a year ago, I paid $100 to see Prince in Minneapolis for tenth row seats. Why should Madonna charge more than three times what he does when I think they have comparable catalogs in terms of classics, etc...

I still love Madonna and bought the album, but while I would love to see her in concert, I can't justify spending so much.
Old 05-30-08, 02:02 PM

it is a little crazy, but people are willing to pay that amount.

i just wish that whoever puts these tours together would realize that the USA is (finally) ready to do general admission floors for madonna shows. that would give fans a chance to be up close and keep the boring people away from the stage (would also keep ticket prices lower for scalping) - not to mention the energy would be amazing

last tour, i was on the floor for 6 confessions shows (real front row floor 3 times). over $2100 in tickets... but i only paid around $750 total. the prices in the 2nd hand market will come down as the show draws near.
Old 06-01-08, 08:47 PM

With a little bit of effort you can get good seats at good prices.
I get cheaper seats to the side of the stage and I end up with a better view than more expensive seats in sections straight across that are a further distance from the stage. I picked up even cheaper tickets for friends in 'obstructed view' a few tours ago but there was nothing in her stage set up blocking the extreme side and my friends ended up with an even better view than I did.
If my ONLY option was to spend $350 or more, I would. It's just worth it. She makes a lot of money, yes, but her shows are also expensive to produce. I wouldn't pay $350 to have her stand there. A Broadway show that sits in the same theatre for years on end will cost you $100- I think Madonna's show is better compatable to that than Prince, and Madonna can only do so many shows in so many places. If she was going to sit in Madison Square Garden for the next 15 years with her show I'd expect prices to be lower.
Old 06-18-08, 05:06 PM

I scored some great seats from the fanclub for an Oakland show - Row 9 on the front floor. The stage dimensions should be set soon and I'm sure closer seats will open up by the time the show happens in November. What a weekend: Halloween then Madonna the next night!
Old 06-18-08, 05:54 PM

You're all so lucky to be going....and to score great tix with the fanclub too! I'm envious. She's prob not coming around here to AZ for another 20 yrs ;o(
With the way things are economywise, I can't justify us flying or driving over to CA, PLUS having the hotel expense, buying the tix, and of course the souvenirs <G>
Old 06-18-08, 06:22 PM

Oh, it's difficult, I know. I thought for sure AZ was gonna be on the itinerary again since, from what fans have shared, she had a great time there last tour. The souvenirs can wait - there are but a few really rare items that never appear on Ebay or Fanfire.com. But the HOTELS in the Bay Area - there is no recession for them because of the steady tourism. One could maybe get a deal on the tix from a second-hand seller selling for less than face value. Oracle is by the Oakland Airport so one could book a room nearby and...SOUTHWEST could be having a sale in the autumn...
Old 06-18-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
I actually went to AZ last year from Los Angeles, since tickets were cheaper (available) there. for LA last tour it was crazy pricing...I am planning on Vegas this year to see her. MGM Grand = 12,000 vs. Dodger Stadium = 50,000
Old 06-20-08, 02:43 PM

I cannot imagine a stadium show for Madonna. Hers are so much more theatrical than someone like The Rolling Stones; I think her shows benefit best from a more intimate environment.
However, rumor has it the stage set up is being designed (or pending Madonna's final approval) with large venues in mind. The once-speculated center runway has been confirmed on Ticketmaster Mexico. And further speculation is that the end of this center stage is a "riser". If it turns out to be reality, that's a bonus for the seats in the rear of the venues.
The screens are rumored to be massive and plenty of "toaster pop-up" openings all over the staging for the dancers (and her). We'll see very soon the final specs.
Old 06-20-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ I think smaller environments would work if Madonna played longer tours, but she isn't the type to do six to twelve month treks that she needs to play to as many people as possible, considering the tickets are hard to come by even in stadium type of places
Old 06-20-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just read the setlist

Even if I can't afford a ticket, she better release this on DVD, I am still bitter that RIT never came on DVD. This set is an unbelievable mixtures of classics old and new, with an emphasis on songs that we never thought would ever be performed by her again, like Borderline, Who's That Girl, Dress You Up, Rain and Rescue Me amongst others. Please Madonna/Warner, release this!!!
Old 06-21-08, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nothingfails
I just read the setlist

Even if I can't afford a ticket, she better release this on DVD, I am still bitter that RIT never came on DVD. This set is an unbelievable mixtures of classics old and new, with an emphasis on songs that we never thought would ever be performed by her again, like Borderline, Who's That Girl, Dress You Up, Rain and Rescue Me amongst others. Please Madonna/Warner, release this!!!
Wow, what luck! I'm not going this time around, and she is doing songs I never thought she would do live. I did go to the Re-Invention Tour, as well as the Drowned World Tour, and those were both AMAZING! It's too bad RIT hasn't been released. Sad, really.

By the way, where did you see the set list? I would love to see it!
Old 06-21-08, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
Wow, what luck! I'm not going this time around, and she is doing songs I never thought she would do live. I did go to the Re-Invention Tour, as well as the Drowned World Tour, and those were both AMAZING! It's too bad RIT hasn't been released. Sad, really.

By the way, where did you see the set list? I would love to see it!
I found it on the MadonnaNation board, it was originally posted on Perez but it must've been a day or two back since I didn't see it on his blog, someone in Madonna's camp leaked it to Perez. Every album except Bedtime Stories and American Life is going to be represented. The "standards" like Music, Holiday, Vogue and Hung Up are there, as are 7 or 8 HC tracks, and a lot of 80's and 90's hits that we thought were dead.

Personally, I think it's great that Madge is taking a page out of the Prince/U2 handbook and is dusting out older obscure hits that the diehards would appreciate (like U2 doing Gloria on their last tour, or practically any Prince tour) instead of just the same old songs.
Old 06-21-08, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nothingfails
I found it on the MadonnaNation board, it was originally posted on Perez but it must've been a day or two back since I didn't see it on his blog, someone in Madonna's camp leaked it to Perez. Every album except Bedtime Stories and American Life is going to be represented. The "standards" like Music, Holiday, Vogue and Hung Up are there, as are 7 or 8 HC tracks, and a lot of 80's and 90's hits that we thought were dead.

Personally, I think it's great that Madge is taking a page out of the Prince/U2 handbook and is dusting out older obscure hits that the diehards would appreciate (like U2 doing Gloria on their last tour, or practically any Prince tour) instead of just the same old songs.
Oh, I agree. Madonna should embrace her older songs, because they are the songs that helped propel her to super stardom! I'm glad to hear that she will be doing these older songs, and I hope to God it is released on DVD!

Thanks for the heads up on the set list!