Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Maiden DVD's on the way in '08 Live After Death, Maiden England, History Part 2

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Iron Maiden DVD's on the way in '08 Live After Death, Maiden England, History Part 2

Old 09-06-07, 09:42 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Future World
Posts: 1,048
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iron Maiden DVD's on the way in '08 Live After Death, Maiden England, History Part 2

Ironmaiden.com is reporting that they will release "Live After Death" and "Maiden England" concerts on DVD in 2008 in time for their "Somewhere Back in Time" tour which kicks off in February.

Good news, I've been waiting for LAD for a long time. I have the Maiden England on VHS ~ Now I get to upgrade. These are great concerts before they started doing the hectic editing thing they've been doing since Rock in Rio.

I assume we'll see the History Part 2 around that time as well, since Part 1 came out just before Maiden did their last retro tour. People at the maidenfans.com forum seem to think in November, but there is nothing official on that yet.

http://www.ironmaiden.com/index.php?..._articleid=664

Edited to Add: We'll probably see the A Matter of Life and Death (Donnington) DVD sometime in '08 also.

And, the 1992 Donnington Concert is being released in the UK on DVD. Hopefully we'll get a release in the US as well.

Last edited by 7Keys; 09-06-07 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-06-07, 10:33 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,738
Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts
Their 2008 tour looks like a hell of a lot of fun - mostly mid 80's material, an updating of the Powerslave stage set, other cool stuff... Man, I can't wait!

I can't wait for the DVD's, too! About time!
Old 09-07-07, 12:08 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 59,796
Received 535 Likes on 345 Posts
Sounds like fun.
Old 09-07-07, 12:19 AM
  #4  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome, awesome, and all fucking right!
Old 09-07-07, 12:43 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 743
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bruce is going to fly the Maiden 757? With the way that guy bounces around hyperactively on stage I wouldn't think he would be able to sit still for a few hours.
Old 09-07-07, 01:56 AM
  #6  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe that's called performing.
Old 09-07-07, 06:21 AM
  #7  
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking that "Live After Death" and "Maiden England" would be the concert footage portion of "Early Days, Part 2". Either way, it will be fantastic to get these in the best quality possible.
Old 09-07-07, 07:55 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,738
Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts
I was thinking the same thing - "The History of Iron Maiden, Part 2" would include the Live After Death and Maiden England videos.

It may - they didn't say what in what form those concerts would be released on DVD. Just that they would come out on DVD (and being part of that package WOULD still be a DVD release).

We'll find out soon enough.

The thing is, my favorite Maiden tour didn't get filmed (at least not pro-shot) - The Somewhere In Time tour (Somewhere On Tour). GREAT show! I just wish they HAD filmed it. Maybe they'll include something shot for a TV network in Europe or some really good bootleg stuff. That tour was too good to leave out entirely.
Old 09-07-07, 09:11 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,202
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
I was thinking the same thing - "The History of Iron Maiden, Part 2" would include the Live After Death and Maiden England videos.

It may - they didn't say what in what form those concerts would be released on DVD. Just that they would come out on DVD (and being part of that package WOULD still be a DVD release).

We'll find out soon enough.

The thing is, my favorite Maiden tour didn't get filmed (at least not pro-shot) - The Somewhere In Time tour (Somewhere On Tour). GREAT show! I just wish they HAD filmed it. Maybe they'll include something shot for a TV network in Europe or some really good bootleg stuff. That tour was too good to leave out entirely.
There are 2 pro shot Somewhere In Time shows floating around in trading circles. One is from Philadelphia, cant recall the other. Maybe they can get the masters and throw some footage in.
Old 09-07-07, 09:44 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,608
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope that what they release is the WHOLE concerts. I really like the History of Iron Maiden Part 1, but I would have liked the WHOLE shows, not just parts. Live after Death is one of my favorite Iron Maiden CD's. I just hope they release the WHOLE thing on DVD and not just part of it.
Old 09-07-07, 10:09 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 4,160
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a classic case of "You can't please all people all the time": I would love to see Maiden and hear some of their more recent material as well as some old stuff.
Old 09-07-07, 10:32 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,608
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdodd
In a classic case of "You can't please all people all the time": I would love to see Maiden and hear some of their more recent material as well as some old stuff.

At least they are still around making new music and touring and still sounding good.
Old 09-07-07, 10:38 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet, it's about time!
Old 09-07-07, 12:51 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 4,160
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcoursen
At least they are still around making new music and touring and still sounding good.
I love the last three albums and think they're stronger than anything since Seventh Son.

I'm looking forward to this tour but it almost seems like they're resigning themselves to being a nostalgia act. I hope this is just a "thing" for them and not an indicator of how the rest of their career is going to go. My impression is that they have a lot of new music left to give.
Old 09-07-07, 01:25 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,608
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdodd
I love the last three albums and think they're stronger than anything since Seventh Son.

I'm looking forward to this tour but it almost seems like they're resigning themselves to being a nostalgia act. I hope this is just a "thing" for them and not an indicator of how the rest of their career is going to go. My impression is that they have a lot of new music left to give.
I think that they did a tour like this when they released the first history of DVD a few years ago. In between their last two studio albums.
Old 09-07-07, 02:00 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 36,415
Received 804 Likes on 590 Posts
Yeah, they did a tour for the original "History" DVD, where they only played songs from the first four albums that were covered on that DVD.

The second Histroy DVD, judging by the image on the website, will cover Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, and Seventh Son. Which would likely include Live After Death and Maiden England.

My preference would definetely be for a seperate DVD release of Live After Death, but all indicators seem to point to it being part of the second History DVD. I just pray that it includes the whole concert. (And the compelte Maiden England as well.)

I would also hope they included the "Ten Wasted Years" documentary on History DVD, too (or at least the parts that weren't in the first History DVD). I have it on VHS and it's quite entertaining. Has one of my favorite Maiden moments when they're playing on that European Pop program, and the show wouldn't let them play live, so, as they're playing along to the pre-recorded track they start trading instruments.
Old 09-07-07, 04:40 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: behind the eight ball
Posts: 19,403
Likes: 0
Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by jdodd
In a classic case of "You can't please all people all the time": I would love to see Maiden and hear some of their more recent material as well as some old stuff.
You should have gone to the last tour. They played the new album in its entirety. In order.
Old 09-07-07, 06:00 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 4,160
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know, I wasn't able to make it last time around.

But either way, they're one of my favorites and have been for about 25 years, so I'll definitely see them this time if they stop near here.
Old 09-07-07, 06:19 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Has one of my favorite Maiden moments when they're playing on that European Pop program, and the show wouldn't let them play live, so, as they're playing along to the pre-recorded track they start trading instruments.
That's a great clip, the audience is just looking like WTF?
Old 09-07-07, 11:06 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 59,796
Received 535 Likes on 345 Posts
While concert dvd's are cool. I think I'm getting to a point in my life where "Behind the scenes" and "Making Of" stuff sounds more interesting. I would love to see more of that in the extras section.
Old 09-10-07, 07:10 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by B5Erik
Their 2008 tour looks like a hell of a lot of fun - mostly mid 80's material, an updating of the Powerslave stage set, other cool stuff... Man, I can't wait!
Cool! I was in row 7 for the last retro tour they did (Give Me Ed 'til I'm Dead Tour). Best concert I ever been to.
Old 09-10-07, 05:55 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 3,479
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Scream for me Long Beach"!!!!!
Old 09-11-07, 08:15 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 6,119
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Unclejosh
There are 2 pro shot Somewhere In Time shows floating around in trading circles. One is from Philadelphia, cant recall the other. Maybe they can get the masters and throw some footage in.
Got the Philly - curious about the other. My favorite era, too!
Old 09-28-07, 11:20 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.ironmaiden.com/index.php?..._articleid=664


The 'SOMEWHERE BACK IN TIME' World Tour 2008 will be in three sections, starting in February and March 2008 with the first leg encompassing major concerts in 20 selected cities on five continents in seven weeks including India, Japan, North America, Central and South America, and, of course, Australia, opening in Perth on Feb 4 and continuing through Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane:

SOMEWHERE BACK IN TIME, AUSTRALIA 2008

February :-
Monday 4th, Burswood Dome, Perth
Wednesday 6th, Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne
Saturday 9th, Acer Arena, Sydney
Tuesday 12th, Entertainment Centre, Brisbane


The tour then continues with more concerts in North America in late May and June before finishing with a third leg in July and August encompassing major stadiums and festivals all over Europe. During the tour the band is expected to play to well over one and a half million fans and travel close to 100,000 miles.

In an historic first, Iron Maiden, their 60-strong crew and support staff and over 12 tons of equipment will be travelling around the world en masse for the first leg of the tour in a specially commissioned and converted Astraeus Boeing 757 decorated with Maiden and Eddie designs! Vocalist Bruce Dickinson, who is a qualified Airline Captain flying for Astraeus Airlines, will pilot the plane on its epic mission, flying over 50,000 miles.

Comments Bruce Dickinson, "We had the idea last year of converting a jumbo jet into effectively what would be a flying 113 ton 'splitter bus' for touring and we have been working seriously on it ever since. It's pretty complex but in the end we were able, with a lot of help from Astraeus Airlines, to overcome all the technicalities of customising the plane for our purposes. We are taking out the back 10 rows of seats to fit in a customised cargo hold that we can use again in the future if this jaunt works. This is in addition to all the standard storage holds. By taking band, personnel and equipment in one form of transport it makes all the touring so much easier and overcomes the logistical difficulty of people and equipment going in different planes. We can even work out exactly how big our carbon footprint is and take care of that responsibility! We will be packing as much of the show into the plane as we possibly can for this first leg and intend to give the fans something very special to remember. And it allows me to combine 2 of my greatest passions, music and flying!!


To tie in with forthcoming 2008 releases on DVD of the classic 'LIVE AFTER DEATH' and 'MAIDEN ENGLAND' concert videos (more details coming soon) this tour, aptly entitled 'SOMEWHERE BACK IN TIME', will revisit the band's history by focusing almost entirely on the 80's in both choice of songs played and the stage set, which will be based around the legendary Egyptian Production of the 1984-85 'Powerslave Tour'. This will arguably be the most elaborate and spectacular show the band have ever presented, and will include some key elements of their Somewhere In Time tour of 1986/7, such as the Cyborg Eddie.

Steve Harris comments; "On the last tour we opened the show by playing our new album 'A Matter of Life and Death' in its 80 minute entirety. We thought we needed the challenge and it proved the right thing to do. However, it can be hard on the fans playing so much new material and we really appreciated the superb support they gave us. So now l guess it's payback time. It's tremendous to be able to use the profile of the DVDs to do what is effectively an 80's show. It will be enormous fun and by changing the approach to the songs we play tour by tour it keeps it fresh and interesting for both the band and the fans alike. l think 'Powerslave' was an incredible show with the Egyptian theme and look forward to seeing it all again myself. We have been planning this for a few years and hoping to take it to Australia -- so we are all delighted that it has now worked out. I would also like to say that we are all are very grateful to our loyal fans in Oz who have kept the Maiden flag flying all these years and we are sorry to have disappointed you for so long. Thanks and see you there"


Rod Smallwood, Iron Maiden's Manager, further commented; "Following Bruce's various hints from on stage this last year about our plans for 2008 ("We are taking some time off to build some pyramids!"), fans have been pestering me for details of the tour and especially asking which songs from that era will be played. That may be as easy as a run in the hills but we will keep our aces close to our chest on this issue. I know it would only take a couple of minutes but at this stage of planning, I'd have to be clairvoyant to know what they will do. I'm sure though it will be no revelation for you that we intend to make up for those wasted years by visiting a large number of hallowed metal venues around the world. Historically 'Powerslave' was an incredibly important album for the band and it would be madness if we didn't give the fans a taste of the full on Iron Maiden show from that time. With our jumbo there really is no rime nor reason why the band cannot now visit fans almost everywhere as many have been real troopers to have waited this long. Heaven only knows what the band will choose but if l could and did tell you now l would have to shoot you! You'll all have to be patient and see. But it will be spectacular. No fear!!"


Historically, this will be Maiden's fourth Australian Tour having first toured in 1982 when 'The Number of the Beast' was Australia's number one album, then again in 1985 with the original 'Powerslave' show and most recently in 1992 with 'Fear of the Dark'. However a great deal has happened with the band since then, especially in recent years when ticket sales have continued to explode around the world as the band's loyal fan base continues to flourish. As Maiden have never had airplay or much video channel exposure anywhere in the world their popularity spread mainly by word of mouth on the back of a legacy of many great albums and an awesome live reputation With the ever increasing power of the internet the Maiden legend has fired the imagination of new young fans around the planet, and, although their audience spans two generations, it is now predominantly a young one, inspired by the massive legacy and influence of this unique band (and, of course, Eddie).

To allow Iron Maiden fans in Australia to get right up close to the band,the fan club are organising advance booking of tickets for members and running a special draw for them whereby 60 winners and friend at each show will be given first access to the venue and be first to the stage barrier. Full details will be on www.ironmaiden.com.

Tickets go on sale to the public 9am Thursday 27th September, but members of the Iron Maiden fan club get exclusive first access to purchase tickets from 12 noon Thursday 20th September through to 12 noon Monday 24th September. More details soon!
Old 09-28-07, 02:52 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 4,160
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Rod Smallwood, Iron Maiden's Manager, further commented; "Following Bruce's various hints from on stage this last year about our plans for 2008 ("We are taking some time off to build some pyramids!"), fans have been pestering me for details of the tour and especially asking which songs from that era will be played. That may be as easy as a run in the hills but we will keep our aces close to our chest on this issue. I know it would only take a couple of minutes but at this stage of planning, I'd have to be clairvoyant to know what they will do. I'm sure though it will be no revelation for you that we intend to make up for those wasted years by visiting a large number of hallowed metal venues around the world. Historically 'Powerslave' was an incredibly important album for the band and it would be madness if we didn't give the fans a taste of the full on Iron Maiden show from that time. With our jumbo there really is no rime nor reason why the band cannot now visit fans almost everywhere as many have been real troopers to have waited this long. Heaven only knows what the band will choose but if l could and did tell you now l would have to shoot you! You'll all have to be patient and see. But it will be spectacular. No fear!!"


Well, I guess that answers the "Does anyone know what will be in the setlist?" questions.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.