Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Arcade Fire: Neon Bible

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Arcade Fire: Neon Bible

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even though I posted the price of the disc at CC, I've never heard this band before. What is their music like, and who out there do they compare to?
Old 03-07-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I had never heard of these guys until I saw them on Saturday Night Live. I was blown away by those two songs they did live and bought both of their albums from eMusic. They are phenomenal. They will definitely be my band of the week on Last.fm.

What do they compare to? Some of the songs remind me of Bruce Springsteen. Give them a listen though because they are one of the best bands I have stumbled across in a long time.
Old 03-08-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts
Originally Posted by reubs82
Even though I posted the price of the disc at CC, I've never heard this band before. What is their music like, and who out there do they compare to?
I'd say that they're kind of a blend of Echo & The Bunnymen with the Polyphonic Spree, with a dash of Pulp.
Old 03-08-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts
After getting all the way through it three times now, I'm a little disappointed with Neon Bible. There's no arguing that it's a really good album, but to me, it lacks a kind of frenetic/desperate energy that was found throughout most of Funeral. I'm hoping it grows on me, but can't imagine ever liking it as much as its predecessor. Oh well, it's still better than the vast majority of music that's getting made.
Old 03-09-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Picked it up at CC today absolutely blind. I couldn't listen to the whole thing b/c of time, but I liked (I think) what I heard. I could see how people say they sound like Polyphonic Spree, but there also seemed to be a bit of ethereal Celtic/Gaelic influence there along with a glam-rock vibe...and none of that makes any sense.

Thanks for the peer pressure to pick it up...since spending more time here than in the DVD Talk forum I've spent a lot more money on CDs.
Old 03-14-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Debuted at #2 on the Billboard Charts.

Big to everyone who bought their album.
Old 03-14-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm really starting to get into this album.
Favorite tracks so far are "Intervention", "Ocean of Noise" and "No Cars Go".
Old 03-14-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
I'd say that they're kind of a blend of Echo & The Bunnymen with the Polyphonic Spree, with a dash of Pulp.
There is definitely more than one yelp that should make Ian McCulloch want to sue (love that sound!)
Old 03-14-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Current favorites:

"Black Mirror"
"No Cars Go"
"(Antichrist Television Blues)"
Old 03-14-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

.......ok, i'll admit that it has grown on me. i guess my real problem is that i consider(ed) myself a fanatic, and their debut album is one of my all-time favorites. i had no idea where they'd go next, but upon first listen of this release, i was underwhelmed.

now, i'm really enjoying the album. it's very catchy, a lot of different sounds on it. can't wait until they jam with bruce
Old 03-14-07, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I listened to this again today, and I really like it. Am I projected something, or are there some Christian/religious elements in this music? I'm really digging the organ sound, as well. I'll have to check out Funeral some time when I can find it cheap.
Old 03-14-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Black Mirror kinda reminds me of the Walkmen, who I dig. Ill check them out although I didnt enjoy the little I heard of funeral. Ill give them a second chance.
Old 03-14-07, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by reubs82
I listened to this again today, and I really like it. Am I projected something, or are there some Christian/religious elements in this music? I'm really digging the organ sound, as well. I'll have to check out Funeral some time when I can find it cheap.
Well first off yes, there are alot of Political/religious elements in the songs. Here are some things I found

-Album was recorded in a church
- In "Windowsill" Win says "I don't wanna live in my father's house no more".
- Even the title Neon Bible relates to the commercialization of religion and its like a neon advertisment.
- (Antichrist Television Blues) tells the struggle of a father questioning God and the issue of making his daughter famous.
-Listen to Intervention and The Well and the Lighthouse also, tons of references in there.

so much more but I'll leave it at that

EDIT: more

chicago tribune wrote:

The new album's denser and more forbidding songs may make that task more difficult. The new tunes reflect a turbulent world, sickened by the marriage of religion and war. Central to the album, Win Butler says, "is this idea that Christianity and consumerism are completely compatible, which I think is the great insanity of our times."

Last edited by Jordan Raup; 03-14-07 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-15-07, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The more I listen, the more I like. Which means it's probably good.
Old 03-15-07, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jordan Raup
Win Butler says, "is this idea that Christianity and consumerism are completely compatible, which I think is the great insanity of our times."
Yeah, I certainly didn't pick up positive religious vibes from the lyrics.
Old 03-15-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Yeah, I certainly didn't pick up positive religious vibes from the lyrics.
Oh, no, I didn't either. But I guess from my perspective of listening it sounded like someone within the Church who was frustrated with the state of "religion" and Christianity in America, i.e. someone who may be a liberal Christian and can't understand/deal with the Fundamentalism that is so prevalent.
Old 03-15-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
I bought Neon Bible last week based purely on word of mouth that I've heard about the band. Prior to this album, I can't say that I've ever heard any of their songs before.

This is an amazing album, and love each and every song from start to finish. Even the songs that I didn't really care for at first have actually become my favorites of the album, "No Cars Go" among them.

However, I am glad that I started with this album instead of Funeral. I bought that album the other day and I'm less than impressed with it, to say the least. Had I started with Funeral, I most likely wouldn't have given two shits about buying Neon Bible.
Old 03-15-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by lopper
I bought Neon Bible last week based purely on word of mouth that I've heard about the band. Prior to this album, I can't say that I've ever heard any of their songs before.

This is an amazing album, and love each and every song from start to finish. Even the songs that I didn't really care for at first have actually become my favorites of the album, "No Cars Go" among them.

However, I am glad that I started with this album instead of Funeral. I bought that album the other day and I'm less than impressed with it, to say the least. Had I started with Funeral, I most likely wouldn't have given two shits about buying Neon Bible.
I believe for most people on this board, Funeral was a definite grower. It took a good 10 listens before I truly liked it. Another 10 and I was in love. Another 10 and I put it in my top ten ever.

I had Funeral for several months and listened to it maybe a total of 5 times with a mostly indifferent opinion. Then something clicked and it was on almost non-stop rotation on my iPod.

I guess what I'm trying to say: give it some time. You said it yourself about Neon Bible: "Even the songs that I didn't really care for at first have actually become my favorites of the album"; well, same goes for Funeral.

-ringding-
Old 03-15-07, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrRingDing
I believe for most people on this board, Funeral was a definite grower. It took a good 10 listens before I truly liked it. Another 10 and I was in love. Another 10 and I put it in my top ten ever.

I had Funeral for several months and listened to it maybe a total of 5 times with a mostly indifferent opinion. Then something clicked and it was on almost non-stop rotation on my iPod.

I guess what I'm trying to say: give it some time. You said it yourself about Neon Bible: "Even the songs that I didn't really care for at first have actually become my favorites of the album"; well, same goes for Funeral.

-ringding-

well put, the same goes for me
Old 03-15-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
Debuted at #2 on the Billboard Charts.

Big to everyone who bought their album.
Who'd have thought it? Congrats Acade Fire, you guys deserve it. Two fantastic albums in a row.
Old 03-15-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
There is definitely more than one yelp that should make Ian McCulloch want to sue (love that sound!)
I heard "leave the car running" today on the radio and it he sounds exactly like Ian McCulloch on that song. This is not a bad thing, IMO.
Old 03-15-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Who'd have thought it? Congrats Acade Fire, you guys deserve it. Two fantastic albums in a row.
Between the Arcade Fire debuting at 2 and the Shins debuting at 1 (wasn't it?), I'd say we are now learning how the internet and word of mouth (and very little mainstream radio or MTV exposure) affects music sales.

That's not very well worded: I think I'm trying to say that smaller bands have a better opportunity to release at the top now, thanks to the internet, amongst other things. Makes me curious how the Modest Mouse will debut...

-ringding-
Old 03-16-07, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those that cite "No Cars Go" as one of their favorites, have you heard their subtley different version on their first EP? I like it a little better.

This album is definitely growing on me, but I don't think at the stark rate most of you all are experiencing. Then again I've bought a lot of new music the past couple of months, so it's sharing airtime with them all.

I loved their performance on SNL a couple of weeks back, though.
Old 03-16-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DrRingDing
Between the Arcade Fire debuting at 2 and the Shins debuting at 1 (wasn't it?), I'd say we are now learning how the internet and word of mouth (and very little mainstream radio or MTV exposure) affects music sales.
Actually, the Shins also debuted at number 2 on Billboard their first week out. A great accomplishment for both bands.
Old 03-16-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
For those that cite "No Cars Go" as one of their favorites, have you heard their subtley different version on their first EP? I like it a little better.

This album is definitely growing on me, but I don't think at the stark rate most of you all are experiencing. Then again I've bought a lot of new music the past couple of months, so it's sharing airtime with them all.

I loved their performance on SNL a couple of weeks back, though.
are you stealing my thoughts?

in any case, i actually prefer the EP version as well. i liked the "roughness" to it. then again, NOTHING compares to them playing this song live. that, my friends, was one to reckon with.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.