Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Raconteurs

Old 03-31-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So far, I have only given the album one listen all the way through. I was skeptical about all the buzz around Carolina Drama, but that's one hell of a song. I keep coming back to it again and again. The rest of the album didn't do much for me the first time around.

I really liked the bulk of the first album immediately, so I am just a touch disappointed. I do also have to admit I felt much the same way about Icky Thump and have really only warmed to two songs on it aside from Conquest (which I loved from the start).
Old 04-05-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it's cool that they let you dl the album at 320kbps right from the raconteurs site (the zip file is only 130mb) are pretty much all sites now offering 320kbps like this?

(http://download.theraconteurs.com/)
Old 04-05-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Picked up tix to the Detroit show. $33.50 is a bit high (especially with an extra $13.00 in bullshit fees) but I'm looking forward to the show.
Old 04-06-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I LOVED their first album, & my biggest problem so far is that there really isn't a single song that stands out, their is no "Level" on this album.

I'm still trying to digest the album, but so far, I'm inclined to agree with that statement. I absolutely LOVED their debut - it was my #1 album for that year. It was near flawless, in my book. This one's just not as immediate.

One of my other complaints about the new one, and I almost can't believe I'm saying this, but it's too damn long. Broken Boy Soldiers was concise. There was no filler. I'd be more content with less music if it was all good, than more just for the sake of more.
Old 04-06-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I'm still trying to digest the album, but so far, I'm inclined to agree with that statement. I absolutely LOVED their debut - it was my #1 album for that year. It was near flawless, in my book. This one's just not as immediate.

One of my other complaints about the new one, and I almost can't believe I'm saying this, but it's too damn long. Broken Boy Soldiers was concise. There was no filler. I'd be more content with less music if it was all good, than more just for the sake of more.
Wow, I completely disagree. I think the first album was the one to have its share of clunkers (Hands, Together). "Girl, you got those hands that heal..." always makes me cringe. I do absolutely love Intimate Secretary though. I find the new one pretty solid. Not perfect, but pretty damn strong throughout. I hate to say it but it's probably because there are no "Brendan Benson" songs.
Old 04-06-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by auto
Wow, I completely disagree. I think the first album was the one to have its share of clunkers (Hands, Together). "Girl, you got those hands that heal..." always makes me cringe. I do absolutely love Intimate Secretary though. I find the new one pretty solid. Not perfect, but pretty damn strong throughout. I hate to say it but it's probably because there are no "Brendan Benson" songs.

And yet "Hands" was one of the singles released off the first album. So I guess we're just on opposite sides here, cause I also quite like "Together", and think maybe the new album could use more Brendan Benson songs. But there ya go.
Old 04-06-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Same here. While I do really like this band; they really do show their limits here. In some ways, keeler and Lawrence really outshine White & Benson.

I would never doubt Jack White's ability on guitar but he never seems to want to go outside of his realm - I don't care what people say about his new discoveries on GBMS either - I do give him credit but overall he wasn't breaking new ground like most said he was.

Yes, he's given us great tunes and coming from a person like me who has no skill at all on the guitar I can only go by what hear.

Having said all that though..............who does this stuff better & who has the balls to release this kind of music nowadays? Exactly - pretty much nobody else. The same can be said for bands like the Black Keys as well but I've always thought it was ridiculous to compare them with the stripes - Jack isn't trying to be full on blues whereas the Keys will die by it.....until their most recent release which by the way is fucking fantastic as well.

Whoa, looks like I got a little off topic there. Their first one was definitely a feeling out process as there wasn't much under the hood - but songs like Intimate Secretary, Broken Boy Soilder, & Store Bought Bones showed that they take it seriously.

Me personally? I still think they need to stick to one style as a band. They are all over the place musically. I'm not bashing that as I know it appeals to a lot of people but for me, I already knew before I bought this CD that there would be a group of songs that I wouldn't listen to even on occasion and that has happened. Their first contained Yellow Sun which I thought was pretty brutal but also pretty much the only one I ever skip completely - Hands gets a little goofy as auto said but I can usually stick it out.

Last edited by Rival11; 04-06-08 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-09-08, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got it yesterday afternoon and have already listened 4 times.
Old 04-09-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I HATED their debut and LOVE this one, so I am surprised. Best Jack White since Van Lear Rose IMO.
Old 04-09-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

See that's one of my things with it. Too much Jack White.

Not that that's a bad thing, necessarily, but the last album was a bit more even between the two personalities of Benson & White. Too many of the songs here, even though they are great songs, sound like leftovers from Icky Thump. And again not really a bad thing, as I loved that album. However, I expect something a tad different from The Raconteurs. Otherwise, I might as well just listen to my White Stripes albums. Does anybody get what I'm saying.
Old 04-10-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I get what you're saying, definitely.

I just think that White is the better half of the duo, and at this point, when I buy an album he's on, I'm buying it for him. Take him out of this band and they don't crack the top 100.
Old 04-10-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Picked up tix to the Detroit show. $33.50 is a bit high (especially with an extra $13.00 in bullshit fees) but I'm looking forward to the show.
I've got tickets to the Vegas show. Tix were a bit expensive, but they'll be worth it. They were by far my highlight of the 2006 Vegoose festival, which also included Tom Petty, The Black Crowes, The Killers, Ben Folds, The Roots, G. Love, and Built to Spill, among many other great live acts.

I like the new album way more than their debut. Far more consistent.
Old 04-10-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just found out they are playing here in their hometown of Nashville and both shows are sold out.
Old 04-11-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DamingR

I just think that White is the better half of the duo, and at this point, when I buy an album he's on, I'm buying it for him. Take him out of this band and they don't crack the top 100.

You do make an excellent point.
Old 04-12-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DamingR

While I obviously do agree with this to a point (especially from a mainstream point of view) there is no way in hell the talent of the band can be doubted. I'm mainly talking about Keeler and Lawerence here -without these two, the band would be brutal in the same ways.
Old 04-26-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a downloadable capture of last night's webcast from Coachella:

http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=VWZHTPP0
Old 03-12-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Raconteurs

Seems like as good a place as any to post this...

LIVE AT MONTREAUX 2008 OUT ON DVD/BLU-RAY JUNE 19

On June 19, 2012, Eagle Rock Entertainment release Live At Montreux 2008 by The Raconteurs. Filmed in high definition, this show will be simultaneously released on DVD and Blu-ray formats. This is the first ever video release by The Raconteurs and features tracks from both their top 10 albums including the singles "Steady, As She Goes", "Many Shades Of Black", "Broken Boy Soldier", "Salute Your Solution" and more. [Pre-book Order Date May 25, MSRP $14.98 for DVD, $19.98 for Blu-ray]

The Raconteurs were formed in 2005 by Jack White of The White Stripes, acclaimed solo artist Brendan Benson and drummer Patrick Keeler and bassist Jack Lawrence from The Greenhornes.

This performance from Montreux in 2008 was part of the tour in support of their second album Consolers Of The Lonely. The setlist is split between songs from their first two albums and includes covers of Terry Reid's "Rich Kid Blues" and the old Charley Jordan track "Keep It Clean".

Live At Montreux 2008 by The Raconteurs is rough, tough rock 'n' roll with great tunes and even better guitar hooks performed by an outstanding live band.

TRACK LISTING
1) Consoler Of The Lonely
2) Hold Up
3) You Don't Understand Me
4) Top Yourself
5) Old Enough
6) Keep It Clean
7) Intimate Secretary
8) Level
9) Steady, As She Goes
10) The Switch And The Spur
11) Rich Kid Blues
12) Blue Veins
13) Many Shades Of Black
14) Broken Boy Soldier
15) Salute Your Solution
16) Carolina Drama
Old 03-12-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome news, will definitely buy the Blu-ray. I wish The Raconteurs would put a new album out though. The newest thing I've got from them is a live show on vinyl recorded at Third Man that was available through their Vault subscription.
Old 03-12-12, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Odd, I just listened to both albums back to back. These guys are due for a new one but this probably means we'll have to wait a bit.
Old 03-13-12, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Both Brendan Benson and Jack White have solo albums due next month, so I'm sure you're right.
Old 05-06-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Raconteurs

I am a big fan of Jack White, and I am really excited for the Raconteurs tour this summer. That said, I pretty much only use Spotify and don't bother with CDs or vinyl anymore. When I bought two tickets to the Detroit show, it came with two codes for redeeming a CD copy of the album (or you can "upgrade" to the standard LP).

Since I am not going to use them, if anyone wants a code, just send me a PM. One per user. The first two get them. I have no idea what the upgrade to vinyl cost may be, but probably not much. The album comes out June 21.

CODES CLAIMED.

Last edited by bralph; 05-06-19 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-13-19, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not trying to bump my own thread but just saw someone post in the what are you listening to thread and it looks like they have a new album coming out soon.
Old 05-22-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ha I was juts listening to Brendan Benson this morning on my way to work and was thinking about his collaboration with Jack White (another favorite of mine) in The Racounters. Those two guys are amazing songwriters
Old 05-31-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the Raconteurs and very much looking forward to their new album.