Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Raconteurs

Old 03-25-08, 10:35 AM
  #51  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,512
Originally Posted by futurepasttense
Best Buy has the 2XLP for $14.99, which is about $15 cheaper than other places.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1845159
wow, i had no idea best buy sold any vinyl at all.
kefrank is offline  
Old 03-25-08, 12:07 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,314
It was $14.99 at BB and Target. CC didn't have any and their system didn't even show that they were getting it.

This is what happens when you rush shit out. No one has it on sale, if they even have it at all.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 03-25-08, 12:36 PM
  #53  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 678
It's 10.99 for the full album on iTunes. I can't decide whether I want to do that or just buy it for 14.99 at Best Buy. I'm guessing Best Buy might actually put it on sale in the next 30 days and then I could price match it.
Tenacious D is offline  
Old 03-25-08, 12:51 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,314
I'm just gonna wait until a B&M has it for $9.99. I wonder how much this will affect their first-week sales. Not only are the prices shitty, but alot of people probably will not know about this since it isn't in any ads.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 03-25-08, 04:28 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East of Ypsi
Posts: 8,896
Originally Posted by Tenacious D
It's 10.99 for the full album on iTunes. I can't decide whether I want to do that or just buy it for 14.99 at Best Buy. I'm guessing Best Buy might actually put it on sale in the next 30 days and then I could price match it.
My plan exactly. And if it nevers go on sale, fuck it, it's an extra $5 spent on a band I enjoy. Two cups of coffee from Starbucks cost me $6.57 today so what the hell.
auto is online now  
Old 03-25-08, 04:32 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,190
I've only listened to the first song so far - good rockin' stuff. Looking forward to hearing more.
slop101 is offline  
Old 03-25-08, 04:50 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,724
$9.99 at Amazon. Of course, spend $25, get free shipping.
Big Boy Laroux is offline  
Old 03-25-08, 06:27 PM
  #58  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Posts: 405
I got great service today from Best Buy. I planned to pick up the CD during my lunch break until I saw the $14.99 price tag. One of the blue shirt employees walked over and asked if he could help with anything. Thinking that the sale tag might just be missing, I asked him if the CD was really $14.99. He scanned it and said that it was. He then offered to check to see if anyone else had it cheaper. After a few minutes, he came back and said that Wal Mart had it for $14.88 and Target had it for $9.99. He said he wasn't sure if they had it in store, but he would still price match it. There was a line at the only open register, so he actually opened another line to ring up a copy for me and a copy for a friend at $10.59 each including tax.
Dusty Bottoms is offline  
Old 03-25-08, 09:13 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
$9.99 at Amazon. Of course, spend $25, get free shipping.
I ordered it from Amazon. Got Prime so I'll have it tomorrow.
PopcornTreeCt is offline  
Old 03-26-08, 10:55 AM
  #60  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,724
Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
I got great service today from Best Buy. I planned to pick up the CD during my lunch break until I saw the $14.99 price tag. One of the blue shirt employees walked over and asked if he could help with anything. Thinking that the sale tag might just be missing, I asked him if the CD was really $14.99. He scanned it and said that it was. He then offered to check to see if anyone else had it cheaper. After a few minutes, he came back and said that Wal Mart had it for $14.88 and Target had it for $9.99. He said he wasn't sure if they had it in store, but he would still price match it. There was a line at the only open register, so he actually opened another line to ring up a copy for me and a copy for a friend at $10.59 each including tax.

wow! seriously? That really is a crazy story! I've never gotten any kind of service like that at ANY B&M.

Price went up to $12.99 at Amazon, by the way. But Target does have it for $9.99, at least online.
Big Boy Laroux is offline  
Old 03-26-08, 05:17 PM
  #61  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Posts: 405
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
wow! seriously? That really is a crazy story! I've never gotten any kind of service like that at ANY B&M.

Price went up to $12.99 at Amazon, by the way. But Target does have it for $9.99, at least online.
It's crazy but true. I know there are a lot of Best Buy horror stories out there, but the store near me isn't that bad most of the time.
Dusty Bottoms is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 12:13 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,314
There is a coupon in the Hot Deals forum with a 40% off cds coupon from Barnes & Noble. The 40% is on top of sale price.

At my B&N, it was on sale for $15.99 and my total ended up being a little over ten bucks. Would have been under nine bucks if I had a membership.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 12:35 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,724
so i printed off the web page from the Target site with the $9.99 listed, and Best Buy price matched it! they didn't even blink an eye!
Big Boy Laroux is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 12:44 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,711
Check out Shades of Black for the coolest Queen sounding song since the 70's. The guitar solo is pure Brian May.
cungar is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 03:48 PM
  #65  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Niagara Falls, N.Y.
Posts: 5,710
Picked this up today (would have liked to pick up the day it was released) I'm really digging it but haven't listened to it in full yet. Much better effort than their first although I don't blame them on their first album......they still pulled off a great effort while not really knowing how to play off each other.
Rival11 is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 09:05 PM
  #66  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Niagara Falls, N.Y.
Posts: 5,710
Great album:

1 Consoler of the Lonely - So far, my fav on the album. The structure of this song is all over the place.

2 Salute Your Solution - Love the guitars and fast lyrics on this song

3 You Don't Understand Me - decent song. Nothing I would listen to reguarly though.

4 Old Enough - this song is a guilty pleasure to my ears. I like the flow of it. Not the best but I can see myself listening to it from time to time.

5 The Switch and the Spur - ugh. It gives me a headache.

6 Hold Up - decent song - easy to get into

7 Top Yourself - love it - typical Jack White here but still very well done.

8 Many Shades of Black - No thanks. I'll pass.

9 Five on the Five - Oh no!!! Is this album going down hill?!

10 Attention - Ahhhh, that's more like it - could be second favorite tune on the disc.

11 Pull This Blanket Off - damn good for a 2 minute song but why so short?

12 Rich Kid Blues - Not bad. Not bad. Prob. another tune I'll listen to every now and then.

13 These Stones Will Shout - Starts of great and gets even better at about 2:25 in. Will be listening to this one often.

14 Carolina Drama - Holy shit!! What a way to end an album!! This songs holds strong on its own. Good stuff.

So that was my horrible review. The thing I love about this group is that they seem to cater to many different tastes and this second outing is damn impressive. Do yourself a favor and don't listen to the bullshit when it comes to this band. Just check it out if you interested and nevermind the sheep.

I honestly think this may be the best album of the year for me.
Rival11 is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 10:05 PM
  #67  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,314
I like The Switch And The Spur best.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 03-28-08, 07:35 AM
  #68  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,314
Originally Posted by cungar
Check out Shades of Black for the coolest Queen sounding song since the 70's. The guitar solo is pure Brian May.
And Pull This Blanket Off sounds like something the Stones would do. I could hear Mick and Keith harmonizing on this song.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 03-29-08, 09:12 AM
  #69  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 5,779
Rob Jones Raconteurs poster available now...kinda cool, but not quite my thing:



https://raconteurs.kungfunation.com/...products_id=37
emanon is online now  
Old 03-29-08, 01:20 PM
  #70  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Sessa17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: NJ, the place where smiles go to die
Posts: 7,393
Just got a chance to listen to the album all the way through this morning on a long drive, & overall I have to say I'm pretty dissapointed with it.

I LOVED their firist album, & my biggest problem so far is that there really isn't a single song that stands out, their is no "Level" on this album. It's a lot less guitar-driven, & almost like they are trying too hard to be sooooo retro. I also don't like the addition of the horn on so many songs.

Also what hurts this album a lot, IMO, is that if you want phenomenal, modern-blues driven rock, the new Black Keys album produced by Danger Mouse just blows the Raconteurs out of the water.

By no means a bad album, but at least upon one listen through, there just isn't anything that really stands out or blows me away. "Carolina Drama" so far is my favorite song, hopefully the album grows on me, but right now I just can't take the Black Keys out of my CD player.
Sessa17 is offline  
Old 03-29-08, 02:03 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Niagara Falls, N.Y.
Posts: 5,710
Originally Posted by Sessa17
Just got a chance to listen to the album all the way through this morning on a long drive, & overall I have to say I'm pretty dissapointed with it.

I LOVED their firist album, & my biggest problem so far is that there really isn't a single song that stands out, their is no "Level" on this album. It's a lot less guitar-driven, & almost like they are trying too hard to be sooooo retro. I also don't like the addition of the horn on so many songs.

Also what hurts this album a lot, IMO, is that if you want phenomenal, modern-blues driven rock, the new Black Keys album produced by Danger Mouse just blows the Raconteurs out of the water.

By no means a bad album, but at least upon one listen through, there just isn't anything that really stands out or blows me away. "Carolina Drama" so far is my favorite song, hopefully the album grows on me, but right now I just can't take the Black Keys out of my CD player.
I mainly replying to your post because of the "horn" thing. I'm really not liking it either and I think Jack is trying to get a little too creative. The last Stripes album had a little taste of it but nowhere near as bad as here. Hopefully it's just a little phase.

As for the album, I think it's much better than their first but my only recommendation to you if you want it, is to give it some time to grow on you. I personally think that's what this album needs for the songs that appeal to you even in the slightest.

The Black Keys are damn good but I like blues to be a little more "rocked out" but I agree, if you want raw, old school, heavy ass hitting blues, you can't go wrong with the Black Keys.
Rival11 is offline  
Old 03-29-08, 02:25 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,314
The 2 songs with horns are my 2 favorites on the album. The first 2 songs are kinda meh (the obvious singles) but the rest is very good.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 03-29-08, 03:22 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mdc3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 9,921
I've only listened to it twice, but I think it kicks ass, much better than their first record IMO.
mdc3000 is offline  
Old 03-29-08, 04:37 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Niagara Falls, N.Y.
Posts: 5,710
Originally Posted by cdollaz
The 2 songs with horns are my 2 favorites on the album. The first 2 songs are kinda meh (the obvious singles) but the rest is very good.
That's cool. That's what good about the band to, they mix it up a lot and appeal to a varitey of different tastes - seems like they balance it just right as well.
Rival11 is offline  
Old 03-31-08, 04:45 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East of Ypsi
Posts: 8,896
Tour Dates

04-20 Vancouver, British Columbia - Commodore Ballroom *
04-21 Seattle, WA - Neumo's *
04-22 Portland, OR - Wonder Ballroom *
04-23 San Francisco, CA - Bimbo's 365 Club *
04-25 Indio, CA - Coachella
04-26 Las Vegas, NV - The Joint *
04-28 Denver, CO - The Fillmore Auditorium *
04-29 Kansas City, MO - Uptown Theatre *
05-01 Dallas, TX - House of Blues *
05-02 Austin, TX - Stubb's BBQ *
05-03 Austin, TX - Stubb's BBQ *
05-04 New Orleans, LA - New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival
05-27 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club ^
05-28 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club ^
05-30 New York, NY - Terminal 5 ^
06-03 Boston, MA - Bank of America Pavilion ^
06-04 Montreal, Quebec - Metropolis ^
06-05 Toronto, Ontario - Ricoh Coliseum ^
06-07 Detroit, MI - The Fillmore ^ (auto will be here)
06-09 Columbus, OH - LC Amphitheater ^
06-10 Cincinnati, OH - National City Pavilion ^
06-12 St. Louis, MO - Pageant #
06-13 Manchester, TN - Bonnaroo
06-26 Arendal, Norway - Hove Festival
07-03 Gdynia, Poland - Heineken Opener Festival
07-12 Kinross, Scotland - T in the Park
07-13 Naas, Ireland - Oxegen Festival

* with Birds of Avalon
^ with Black Lips
# with the Fiery Furnaces
auto is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.