Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Raconteurs

Old 05-26-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SideShow
Hm, I guess I'm in the minority of not falling in love with this. I mean, it's good, and some of the songs are great (Store Bought Bones, Hands, Yellow Sun and Level in particular) otherwise I thought it was eh. My expectations were kinda high.
Maybe that's why? Personally, my expectations were kinda low, which may also be why I was so pleasently surprised by it. The first listen didn't exactly wow me, either - but everytime I've heard it since has given me a new appreciation for it, and it's very much a grower. I find the songs from this album very memorable, and stuck in my head all the time, even days after the last time I heard them. "Level", for instance, has been running through my head all day, and I didn't even play the CD today at all.
Old 05-27-06, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by souvenir
I doubt it because he has almost complete creative control over the WS albums and basically just tells Meg what to do.
That's not the case at all according to the interview he did in this month's Spin (Ugh, I know) magazine. The jist of it is Meg has just as much creative control of TWS as Jack does and the new project is to relieve himself of more control and to just be "part of the band"

As for the new CD, I'm really digging it.
Old 03-18-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Raconteurs: Consolers of the Lonely - 3/25/08 (Yep, next week!)

Tracklisting:

1 Consoler of the Lonely
2 Salute Your Solution
3 You Don't Understand Me
4 Old Enough
5 The Switch and the Spur
6 Hold Up
7 Top Yourself
8 Many Shades of Black
9 Five on the Five
10 Attention
11 Pull This Blanket Off
12 Rich Kid Blues
13 These Stones Will Shout
14 Carolina Drama
from pitchforkmedia:

Surprise! New Raconteurs Album out Next Week!
And there's a tour, too!

Jack White has pulled some pretty crazy stunts in the past (the insisting that his ex-wife is his sister thing, the only wearing red, white, and black thing, the one-note concert thing), but this just might be the craziest stunt of all.
Yesterday evening (happy St. Patrick's Day, folks!), the Raconteurs-- White's band with Brendan Benson and Greenhornes Patrick Keeler and Jack Lawrence-- announced that they will release their second album, Consolers of the Lonely, on March 25. Yes, that is this coming Tuesday, one week from today.

The Raconteurs also announced a spring tour connecting their appearances at Coachella and the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.
I'm too damn tired to explain the band's reasoning behind announcing the album's existence so soon before its release, so I'm just going to let this press release speak for itself.

"The Raconteurs are happy to announce that in one week's time their second album, entitled Consolers of the Lonely, will be available EVERYWHERE Tuesday, March 25th.

"'Album' meaning: full length vinyl, CD and digital formats; and 'everywhere' meaning: local mom and pop Indie retailers, corporate superstores, supermarkets, iTunes, Amazon, the band's own website and any other location that could get the record up and going this quickly (some places couldn't move this fast, so they will join in as soon as they can).

"It contains 14 new recordings and is being released globally on Third Man Records in conjunction with our marketing/distribution partners, XL Recordings and Warner Brothers Records.

"The album was mastered and completed in the first week of March. It was then taken immediately to a vinyl pressing plant. Then to a CD pressing plant. Then preparations to sell it digitally began. March 25th became the soonest date to have it available in EVERY FORMAT AT ONCE. The band have done no interviews or advertisements for this record before this announcement.

"The purpose: to get the album to the fans as soon as possible and as we promised. We wanted to get this record to fans, the press, radio, etc., all at the EXACT SAME TIME so that no one has an upper hand on anyone else regarding its availability, reception or perception.

"With this release, The Raconteurs are forgoing the usual months of lead time for press and radio set up, as well as forgoing the all important 'first week sales'. We wanted to explore the idea of releasing an album everywhere at once and THEN marketing and promoting it thereafter. The Raconteurs would rather this release not be defined by its first weeks sales, pre-release promotion, or by someone defining it FOR YOU before you get to hear it.

"Another purpose was to also allow people to have their own choice as to exactly which format they would like to hear the album in IMMEDIATELY, rather than having to wait for their favorite format to become available. The band are also not releasing any version of this record that contains bonus tracks. Musically this album will be the same as the band created it no matter what format it is purchased in. (The sound quality of each format however, is a different story. The Raconteurs recommend hearing it on vinyl, but the choice is of course up to the listener).

"The band also prefer that fans buy the album as a whole instead of breaking up the tracks, but until iTunes and other digital services allows bands to release their albums with the option of NOT breaking it up, it will be sold in that fashion on those particular sites. On the band's website however, the album will be sold in its entirety as an mp3 at 320kb bit rate. Also in Japan, fans will be able to download the record via their mobile phones, as that is how a majority of recorded music is consumed there.

"The reason we are announcing this release one week ahead of time is because of retail pre-ordering and stocking, information about this album's imminent release was bound to come to light and could be confusing to fans. Also in the event that the record leaks, we didn't want this method of release to be seen as a REACTION to such a leak. It's not. The actual worst thing about a leak is the usual poor sound quality, akin to watching a movie on a wristwatch instead of in a theater. Which for the album's creators is a bit of a letdown, but again, it is completely up to the listener.

"There will be a video up on the internet for the first single, 'Salute Your Solution', on the 25th as well, provided it gets edited in time. We just filmed it the other day!

"We hope not to confuse anyone with too many options, or deny them the formats that they like best. The Raconteurs feel very strongly that music has worth and should be treated as such. Thank you to all those who respect music in this fashion, and thank you to our label partners for working with us to get this album to fans in as many formats as possible all at once.

"Thank you, and we hope that you enjoy Consolers of the Lonely.

"Sincerely,
The Raconteurs"

------------------------

No matter what you think, this is a fun time to be a music fan. Seems like we have a new "surprise" album every week.

Last edited by auto; 03-19-08 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sweet!
Old 03-18-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Excellent.
Old 03-18-08, 10:36 AM

That's cool. I'll buy the CD or maybe from iTunes depending on the B&M prices.
Old 03-18-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, unexpected... It's cool to see something like this happen where a band makes a record and then just gives it to us ASAP with no bullshit like a single 16 weeks in advance. Looking forward to it!
Old 03-18-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Somebody should show this article to Axl Rose.
Old 03-18-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thier first album was great, can't wait for this one.
Old 03-19-08, 08:33 AM
Banned

Awesome! Can't wait.
Old 03-19-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Added tracklisting to first post
Old 03-19-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The craziest thing about this for me................I was just thinking about when their next album was coming out tonight while doing laundry. Good news and I hope it's better than their first effort.
Old 03-20-08, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked the first album, I'll have to look into this one as well.
Old 03-23-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's been leaked.

Album is frickin' amazing.

55 minutes of pure bliss.
Old 03-23-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

WOW! Great news.
Old 03-23-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Pillowhead
It's been leaked.
Bummer, even with a one week lead time it leaks 3 days out.
Old 03-23-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bummer, even with a one week lead time it leaks 3 days out

I'm still picking up a hard copy of this.
Old 03-24-08, 07:21 AM

Did anyone else catch them on Austin City Limits last year? It was a pretty cool show and I'd like to own it on DVD someday. Does anyone know if there's plans to release that?
Old 03-24-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They were fantastic on the ACL show. Unfortunately, the first LP was not as great as that live show. This new one is much, much better.
Old 03-24-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been sampling the album over the weekend. It sounds pretty much like you'd expect, very lo-fi garage rock(y). In other words, very good.
Old 03-24-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just listed to the album and am very impressed, great blusey rock and roll. Now to go listen to it again.
Old 03-24-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm about halfway thru listening to it and I like it a lot. Much better than the first album.

I thought White Stripes' sound was getting a little tired on their last album, as I think they had reached the limitations of what they can do without a full band and I think they should progress into a full band sound. As such, I think this is the best Jack White album since Elephant.
Old 03-24-08, 08:56 PM

Any word on who will have the best price for this?
Old 03-25-08, 10:01 AM

Best Buy has the 2XLP for $14.99, which is about $15 cheaper than other places.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1845159
Old 03-25-08, 10:01 AM

...if you're into that sort of thing.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.