Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Marvels (2023, D: DaCosta) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Marvels?
2.56%
7.69%
23.08%
17.95%
25.64%
5.13%
10.26%
0%
7.69%
0%
0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

The Marvels (2023, D: DaCosta) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-23, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 460 Likes on 345 Posts
Re: The Marvels (2023, D: DaCosta) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

5/5 for me. I’m bias because Captain Marvel is one of my favorite MCU movies. But it was funny and charming and I really enjoyed it. Never compare it to the shitshow that was Thor: Love and Thunder.

Also, off topic but I wasn’t prepared for Ghostbusters and Planet of the Apes trailers. Awesome.

The following 3 users liked this post by nickdawgy:
Draven (11-11-23), Goldberg74 (11-11-23), Meathead (11-11-23)
Old 11-11-23, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,654 Likes on 1,787 Posts

Saw it with the family today and we all enjoyed it. Having already watched WandaVision, Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye, we were all caught up. I guess I just enjoy the more light-hearted, cosmic Marvel movies (like the GOTG films). I liked it way better than Wakanda Forever, which I thought was a dismal slog, and Quantumania and Love and Thunder which were kinda a mess. I think all the schedule shuffling and rushed productions have not been doing Marvel any favors. The cast was great, especially Vellani and her family, who were all highlights, and of course seeing Beast at the end was awesome. I avoided spoilers, but when Monica woke up in the other universe, I just had a feeling we were going to see an X-Man, and I wasn't disappointed.

The following users liked this post:
Draven (11-11-23)
Old 11-11-23, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,132 Likes on 4,840 Posts

We watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Yeah it wasn't cerebral and a lot of it didn't make a ton of sense, but it was fun and cute, I liked the chemistry of the three leads. The fight where they kept switching locations was inspired and really well executed. I saw it will have the lowest opening of any MCU film and that really bums me out because it's far from the worst.
The flurkin attack to "Memories" was super-funny.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
actionjackson29 (11-12-23), Draven (11-11-23)
Old 11-11-23, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,880 Posts

I saw a matinee today. I liked it. It wasn't as compelling as Captain Marvel, but it was fun and cute and had some laughs. Iman Vellani was the highlight for me. I loved her interactions with Monica and Carol. And I thought it was cute how she was so star struck with Carol and loved being part of the team. The Khan family having a part in this was also nice. Darben wasn't really the strongest MCU villain, but who says every MCU villain has to have some End of Days Apocalypse scenario planned? The planet where the language is song and dance was hilarious. I know some reviews thought that was cringey, but c'mon man lighten up.

and the scene where Kamala was recruiting Kate Bishop for the potential young Avengers was cute. Kind of a neat callback to Fury recruiting Tony in Iron Man.

Out of phase 4/5, it's probably my 3rd or 4th favorite.

The mid-credits scene was interesting. Monica is now stuck in the X-Men universe. Who was the doppelganger of Maria Rambeau supposed to be? They lingered on her wearing that costume at the end of that scene.
Old 11-11-23, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
The mid-credits scene was interesting. Monica is now stuck in the X-Men universe. Who was the doppelganger of Maria Rambeau supposed to be? They lingered on her wearing that costume at the end of that scene.
DJariya (11-11-23)
Old 11-11-23, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Now that the actor's strike is over, Brie Larson and the cast are in full promotion mode. She was on The Tonight Show last night, made a surprise appearance at a NYC screening and has been plugging the movie on her Instagram with BTS photos.

Movies are heavily week 1 front loaded, so I don't know if it's going to help. Week 1 box office predictions have already been reported to be low.
Old 11-11-23, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Now that the actor's strike is over, Brie Larson and the cast are in full promotion mode. She was on The Tonight Show last night, made a surprise appearance at a NYC screening and has been plugging the movie on her Instagram with BTS photos.

Movies are heavily week 1 front loaded, so I don't know if it's going to help. Week 1 box office predictions have already been reported to be low.
And Iman Vellani surprised an audience at the El Capitan in Los Angeles.

I really enjoyed this chapter in the MCU and the singing & dancing came out of nowhere but totally fit the tone set by combining three worlds together.

Also kudos to the editors who put the house/space elevator/planet fight together.
DJariya (11-11-23)
Old 11-12-23, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

9pm. Saturday night. Opening weekend. There were 5 people in the theater at my showing. What a mess Marvel is in.

I didn't think anything could be worse than the planet where they speak in song. Then the cats thing happened.
csant (11-12-23)
Old 11-12-23, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,079 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7

I didn't think anything could be worse than the planet where they speak in song.
Which they didnt have to do because he was bi...lingual
Old 11-12-23, 06:30 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 263 Posts

I revel in every Marvel bomb these days because it's one step closer to them bringing back RDjr
Old 11-12-23, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,157 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I revel in every Marvel bomb these days because it's one step closer to them bringing back RDjr
Lol it’ll never happen.

And it’s too bad this movie isn’t doing well as it’s fantastic. But fanboys gotta fanboy, I guess.
IBJoel (11-22-23)
Old 11-12-23, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 460 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
9pm. Saturday night. Opening weekend. There were 5 people in the theater at my showing. What a mess Marvel is in.

I didn't think anything could be worse than the planet where they speak in song. Then the cats thing happened.
You literally described two of the best parts of the movie.
The following 2 users liked this post by nickdawgy:
Draven (11-12-23), IBJoel (11-22-23)
Old 11-12-23, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 424 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Not that I have anything againt Robert Downey, Jr., but I would rather see them writing better scripts, than bringing back stars to con me with nostalgia.
RocShemp (11-12-23)
Old 11-12-23, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I love watching DCU flops because it surely means the inevitable return of Adam West as Batman
The following 2 users liked this post by The Antipodean:
Draven (11-12-23), IBJoel (11-22-23)
Old 11-12-23, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,128 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Problem is, if there are too many bombs it kills the franchise and by the time they drag RDJ back and meet his salary demands he'll be pushing seventy, so even Old Man Tony won't save them. By that time, they'll just have to do a hard reboot.

When finalizing Phase III, they really should have thought long and hard about removing so many of their A-list characters (Iron Man, Cap, Widow) from the board. If the actors wanted out, they should have just let them go quietly, given the characters a rest, then recast them (JGL as Tony Stark? Jensen Ackles as Steve Rogers?) as need be. Phase III left the MCU a rudderless ship without an anchor.

tommyp007 (02-12-24)
Old 11-12-23, 12:52 PM

I actually hate the erasure of stakes in these films. Dead should mean dead, otherwise why should we care at all?
I get that dead characters come back in comics, but I think an unequivocally screen death, especially one made as a sacrifice, should count and actually mean something. (A stupid, hall-assed BS death like Maria Hill in Secret Invasion, I wouldn't mind being undone)
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
IBJoel (11-22-23), tanman (12-05-23)
Old 11-12-23, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 731 Likes on 438 Posts

There are not money trucks big enough to lure RDJ, Johannson and Chris Evans back. They are done.
Old 11-12-23, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 339 Likes on 252 Posts

The spotlight label seems pretty worthless and needlessly constraining Marvel’s biggest selling point. This label will never be placed on a sequel and there has never been a non sequel film that requires you to have seen anything before it to be able to easily follow along.
Old 11-12-23, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
I love watching DCU flops because it surely means the inevitable return of Adam West as Batman
Already happening (skip to 18:26).

Spiderbite (11-13-23)
Old 11-12-23, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 731 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
The spotlight label seems pretty worthless and needlessly constraining Marvel’s biggest selling point. This label will never be placed on a sequel and there has never been a non sequel film that requires you to have seen anything before it to be able to easily follow along.
This is why I never got into comic books. You want to know what happened to Spider-Man? you have read the new Fantastic Four, X-Men and the Wolverine one shot and the Spider-Man annual.
Old 11-12-23, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 302 Posts

I enjoyed this movie.
Old 11-12-23, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
I actually hate the erasure of stakes in these films. Dead should mean dead, otherwise why should we care at all?
I get that dead characters come back in comics, but I think an unequivocally screen death, especially one made as a sacrifice, should count and actually mean something.
Then you're going to hate what they're doing with James Bond.
Old 11-12-23, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,157 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Problem is, if there are too many bombs it kills the franchise and by the time they drag RDJ back and meet his salary demands he'll be pushing seventy, so even Old Man Tony won't save them. By that time, they'll just have to do a hard reboot.

When finalizing Phase III, they really should have thought long and hard about removing so many of their A-list characters (Iron Man, Cap, Widow) from the board. If the actors wanted out, they should have just let them go quietly, given the characters a rest, then recast them (JGL as Tony Stark? Jensen Ackles as Steve Rogers?) as need be. Phase III left the MCU a rudderless ship without an anchor.
Except everyone but Spider-Man and Captain America were B-list characters at best. The movies MADE them A-listers. No reason the same couldn’t happen for Shang-Chi or Ms. Marvel.
Old 11-12-23, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,654 Likes on 1,787 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Except everyone but Spider-Man and Captain America were B-list characters at best. The movies MADE them A-listers. No reason the same couldn’t happen for Shang-Chi or Ms. Marvel.
Yep, how much of the general public pre-MCU knew who the hell Iron Man, Black Widow, Thor, Dr. Strange, etc. were? And the Guardians? They were even more obscure, but their films were so awesome people fell in love with Groot, Rocket, etc. This can happen with other B-list or sub B-list characters, but the films and the actors playing them have to be really engaging, and so far that isn't really happening (other than Iman Vellani who IMO is just delightful in her role).
Draven (11-12-23)
Old 11-13-23, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
Yep, when Marvel was bankrupt in the 90s and started selling off the movie rights to its characters, nobody wanted Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, etc. Their comics were low-sellers. Heck, FOX took Daredevil over those characters. DAREDEVIL!
Draven (11-13-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.