Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Marvels (2023, D: DaCosta) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Marvels?
2.56%
7.69%
23.08%
17.95%
25.64%
5.13%
10.26%
0%
7.69%
0%
0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-23, 03:23 PM

Received 5,053 Likes on 3,415 Posts

Synopsis:
Carol Danvers AKA Captain Marvel has reclaimed her identity from the tyrannical Kree and taken revenge on the Supreme Intelligence. But unintended consequences see Carol shouldering the burden of a destabilized universe. When her duties send her to an anomalous wormhole linked to a Kree revolutionary, her powers become entangled with that of Jersey City super-fan Kamala Khan, aka Ms. Marvel, and Carol’s estranged niece, now S.A.B.E.R. astronaut Captain Monica Rambeau.
Cast: Brie Larson, Teyonah Parris, Iman Vellani, Zawe Ashton, Gary Lewis, Seo-Jun Park, Zenobia Shroff, Mohan Kapur, Saagar Shaikh, and Samuel L. Jackson

Rating: PG-13 (Brief Language|Action/Violence)

Runtime: 1 hour 45 minutes

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_marvels

Screenings start 3 pm on November 9th.

There is one mid-credits scene and one audio tag post-credits.

Last edited by dex14; 11-08-23 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-09-23, 04:44 PM

Re: The Marvels (2023, D: DaCosta) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

It was fine. Completely average. The biggest issue for me was the villain. The motivation was alright but, overall, undeveloped and was very one note.

I was surprised by how crowded and diverse my screening was. Usually the 3pm ones have been somewhat empty. They all seemed to really like the Kamala scenes and stuff with her family. She is standout.

Who came up with that Flerken scene and putting it to memory from Cats?

I got a good laugh out of the end scene with Kamala doing her Young Avengers take on the Fury/Stark Avengers recruitment credit scene.

And of course... the credit scene... it had been spoiled for a while... but it was cool to have Grammer's Beast brought into the fold. It looked entirely CGI and just the voice though.
The following users liked this post:
Goldberg74 (11-10-23)
Old 11-09-23, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,079 Likes on 676 Posts

I'll defend Marvel to the hilt but, seriously, there was a lot of dumb shit in this movie.There's some ok stuff from time to time, some funny moments mixed in with a lot of groaners but, over all, I felt this one was a mess and, at least on first viewing, probably my least favorite of all the Marvel projects. Came out of this feeling similar to what I felt coming out of Wonder Woman 84 (and Venom 2).

Butttttt, seeing the X Mansion and Beast was pretty sweet and I agree with Dex, the Young Avengers scene with Kate and Kamala was hilarious! But both of those things are like the last 5 minutes of the movie

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 11-09-23 at 08:30 PM.
Goldberg74 (11-10-23)
Old 11-09-23, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And while Marvel has become kind of repetitive in a few ways, I bet NOBODY saw part of this flick becoming a musical.

Unfortunately, it wasn't a very good aspect of the film, felt out of place and was a weird tonal shift in a film full of them. And I like musicals.
Old 11-09-23, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems even Marvel doesn't want to remember Secret Invasion
B.A. (02-25-24)
Old 11-09-23, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Seems even Marvel doesn't want to remember Secret Invasion
Seemed like two completely different Furys.
Old 11-09-23, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
Seemed like two completely different Furys.
Agreed. Made me wonder if this film is supposed to happen BEFORE Secret Invasion. Otherwise, quite the shift for him in that show to goofier cat wrangler.
Old 11-09-23, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Agreed. Made me wonder if this film is supposed to happen BEFORE Secret Invasion. Otherwise, quite the shift for him in that show to goofier cat wrangler.
At one point I think it was supposed to come out before Secret Invasion. There’s been too much date shuffling with their projects. And it just happened again on a bunch of others.
Old 11-09-23, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,157 Posts

Loved it - Captain Marvel is one of my favorite MCU characters and they let her actually have some fun in this one. I loved Kamala on her show and she stole this movie. Loved everything about her and she brought out some great stuff from Carol.

The montage scene where they were practicing switching was a highlight. And the initial fight scene with all of the switching was inspired.

It was cosmic, colorful, laugh-out-loud funny and a total blast. Saw it in a packed house that loved it too.

I went in completely spoiler-free so I was blown away by the end credits scene and I’m stoked for what comes next.

Meathead (11-10-23)
Old 11-10-23, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 712 Likes on 490 Posts

Well Draven pretty much summed it up. I loved this movie and I was laughing so hard at points. Lost it with the Flerken escape pod scene.

Only spoiler I knew ahead of time was Valkyrie. End credit scene was worth being spoiler free.

Definitely catching this again in the theater.
The following 2 users liked this post by Meathead:
Draven (11-10-23), Goldberg74 (11-10-23)
Old 11-10-23, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 339 Likes on 252 Posts

First MCU theatre experience for my daughter and we both enjoyed it quite a bit.

Question that i think (hope) was answered during one of our two trips to the bathroom - Why did the Flerken eggs start popping up in the space station?

Last edited by Nesbit; 11-10-23 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-10-23, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Question that i think (hope) was answered during one of our two trips to the bathroom - Why did the Flerken eggs start popping up in the space station?
I don't think the movie explicitly said... I just assumed that Goose showed up on the station pregnant and nature took it's course from there.
Old 11-10-23, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

First MCU theatre experience for my daughter and we both enjoyed it quite a bit.

Yeah that was never spelled out but my wife leaned over after it was over and said "I knew Goose was laying the eggs". My brain didn't even go there but it was the only real possibility. Nothing else had changed or been added to the station.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 785 Likes on 507 Posts

For those who have seen the movie, how necessary is it to have seen Ms. Marvel? I was maybe going to go with a couple friends, but I haven't seen the show.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 270 Posts

This movie is bad...really bad. Iman Vellani really deserved a better story/screenplay, because she's the only one that seems to be trying in this movie. Brie Larson seems to be "phoning it in" and Sam Jackson has that look on his face that says "ANOTHER one of these?" This has possibly the worst, most uninteresting villain in the history of the MCU, and that's saying something. This, to me, was like "Thor: Love and Thunder" with less humor and a more incomprehensible plot. The movie was only 1 hour, 45 minutes, and I was looking at my watch after 30. The only good thing I'll say for it is that the mid-credits scene is great. Two out of five stars (primarily one for Iman, a half for the mid-credits, and a half for the cat ).
Old 11-10-23, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Meathead
I don't think the movie explicitly said... I just assumed that Goose showed up on the station pregnant and nature took it's course from there.
Then who fucked Goose? Disney+ special perhaps ?
Old 11-10-23, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by clckworang
For those who have seen the movie, how necessary is it to have seen Ms. Marvel? I was maybe going to go with a couple friends, but I haven't seen the show.
I'd say the same as seeing it without seeing Captain Marvel first.
Old 11-10-23, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Then who fucked Goose? Disney+ special perhaps ?
Another Flerken before the movie started? Doesn't matter. lol
Nesbit (11-10-23)
Old 11-10-23, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just did a quick search and there are recaps of the show on YouTube that's not that long. When I saw it at the Alamo, they ran a video that recapped the three "Marvels". Personally I think the Ms. Marvel show is great - you'll miss out on her relationship with her family and culture and the style of that show (there is lots of drawings and animation in the show that they carry over a bit to the movie.).

One thing I thought was odd - the LEGO set for their ship has it called "The Hoopty". I kept expecting Kamala to name it that at some point. I bet it's a deleted scene.

Old 11-10-23, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another Flerken before the movie started? Doesn't matter. lol
Maybe not to you …. All i’ll be thinking about for at least the next phase.
Old 11-10-23, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 785 Likes on 507 Posts

I'd say the same as seeing it without seeing Captain Marvel first.
OK, then how necessary is it to have seen Captain Marvel first?
Old 11-10-23, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not very. All three of the characters are introduced or reintroduced to each other in the movie so they cover most things.

Being familiar with the first one actually slightly hurt my enjoyment of this in one way. I enjoyed the chemistry between Fury and Captain Marvel in the first one so I was looking forward to some more of that but they barely interact in this.
Old 11-10-23, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, then how necessary is it to have seen Captain Marvel first?
If you can follow it, they quickly explain her backstory. Also the cat is an alien.
Old 11-10-23, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

So the Old Jedi went to the movies (hey, that has a nice ring to it!) and checked out Marvel/Disney’s latest theatrical release “The Marvels”. Here are my thoughts.

First, this is a nice respite from the time entanglement and multiverse plot lines (well, for the bulk of screen time) that have dominated Marvel fare in theaters and on Disney+. As we saw at the end of the Ms. Marvel TV series, Kamala disappeared from her bedroom and Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) suddenly crashed into her closet. This entire movie basically picks up from that point.

Turns out, due to some tampering with a wrist device similar to the one Kamala received from her grandmother in the TV series, Kamala, Carol, and Monica Rambeau (WandaVision, Captain Marvel) discover that when they use their powers at the same time, they suddenly find themselves switching places.

This leads to some fun and confusingly chaotic fight scenes that the ladies eventually get under control as they learn what’s going on and get a grip on how to deal with the situation as a team,

Also, in the meantime, Nick Fury is on hand to lend some guidance as his secret team SABRE is floating in space above the Earth. And it turns out, the whole big old mess is a result of the Kree and Skrull conflicts that have scattered the Skrulls throughout the galaxy.

Bottom line, the Old Jedi had an entertaining time with “The Marvels”. It was one of those borderline “fun in the theater/nice addition to Disney +” vibes. The interactions between the three Marvel ladies was fun and yes, I would be remiss if I did not mention that the furry Flerken Goose is on hand and plays an important role. I am giving “The Marvels” 4 out of 5 lightsabers, and look forward to seeing it again when it hits Disney+.

NOTES FOR PARENTS: “The Marvels” is rated PG-13 for comic book action and violence, and a smattering of PG profanity. S**t and h**l are heard 2 or 3 times. The fight scenes are a bit intense at times, but not bloody or gory. Goose and other Flerken use their tentacles to snare and swallow several people, both in fight scenes and in a rescue operation that helps save people.

MID- AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: There is only one mid-credit scene that follows what happens to Monica, and indicates a possible future interaction between our MCU and some familiar mutant characters.

LIKE and SHARE this review with family and friends, and I may be persuaded get my review page back up and running.
Goldberg74 (11-10-23)
Old 11-10-23, 02:31 PM

Received 915 Likes on 605 Posts

I caught the 11am show with about two dozen other folks and I enjoyed it. I agree comments made by Orbi-Wan Techno , dex14 , Draven , and ViewAskewbian - I enjoyed myself and found it a nice deviation from the time-jumping and dimension-swapping Marvel fare we've been getting lately.

I loved the interaction between Captain/Ms/Professor Marvel but found the villain to weak and she reminded me a lot of Morgan Elsbeth from Ahsoka.

Goose was great.

Kamala's family was great.

Seeing Hank at the end (even in all his CG glory) was great.

Kamala's visit to Kate was great.

I'll watch this again on D+ when it reaches that service.

​​​​​​​3.5/5 for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.