Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Marvels (2023, D: DaCosta) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Marvels?
2.63%
5.26%
23.68%
18.42%
26.32%
5.26%
10.53%
0%
7.89%
0%
0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

The Marvels (2023, D: DaCosta) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 11-20-23, 10:30 AM

Received 4,813 Likes on 3,258 Posts
Re: The Marvels (2023, D: DaCosta) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya
And I have not seen anyone complain about her or her work.
You're lucky.
Old 11-20-23, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Saw this yesterday - Iman Vellani completely stole the show. She was excellent, all the way through to her Nick Fury homage at the end. I liked Larson a bit more than I did in her first movie - I actually like her deadpan delivery, and she played a pretty good straight man to Vellani. And honestly, Parris was the weak link. I'm just not feeling her delivery and acting at all (felt the same with Wandavision).

Weak villain, the musical planet was an interesting choice (didn't hate it, but it didn't click with me, either). But overall, I was definitely entertained and had some good chuckles. And the fight sequences with the switching were really well done (choreography and effects).

One thing I may have missed... When was it established that Ms. Marvel could use her powers without wearing the bangle? I watched all of the D+ show, but don't recall that.
Old 11-20-23, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,801 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
One thing I may have missed... When was it established that Ms. Marvel could use her powers without wearing the bangle? I watched all of the D+ show, but don't recall that.
The bangle just unlocked her power - she's actually a mutant. I found where someone pulled this line from the show:

Bruno: So it looks like your power isn't coming from the bangle. It's coming from within you. Like the bangle unlocked the superhuman part of you.

- Ms. Marvel S01E02
Old 11-20-23, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
The bangle just unlocked her power - she's actually a mutant. I found where someone pulled this line from the show:
Thanks, I definitely missed that (or didn't remember). Then why wear it at all? lol Just a fashion accessory.

I guess just to "keep it from falling into the wrong hands"

Edit - Went and watched the ending on D+ - I do remember the Animated Series riff now, so I guess that just slipped my mind during this movie.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 11-20-23 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-20-23, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Thanks, I definitely missed that (or didn't remember). Then why wear it at all? lol Just a fashion accessory.

I guess just to "keep it from falling into the wrong hands"
The bracelets appears to have their own power set. I'm assuming they can do the same things for Kamala that they did for Dar-Benn - absorbing and redirecting cosmic energy. She just also has her hard light powers (which Dar-Benn did not get when she wore the bands).
The following users liked this post:
Big Boy Laroux (11-20-23)
Old 11-21-23, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 576 Likes on 402 Posts

Old 11-27-23, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 182 Posts

OK, saw it over the weekend with the kids. They hadn't seen Wandavision or Ms. Marvel so had to give them a 30 second recap and that was sufficient. Didn't hate it but felt like a placeholder that didn't add anything to the MCU until the post credits scene.
Old 12-05-23, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 743 Posts

I'm glad there are mostly positive views on this movie here. I thought it was pretty good mainly because of the three leads and Kamalah's family were also a highlight. But like most MCU projects nowadays the plot is just simply lacking. I'm surprised by the amount of love for the switching gimick because, apart from the opening fight scene, I thought it got tired really quickly. I don't think they did a good job in establishing rules and following them for when they would switch. They used their powers multiple times and didn't switch and basically only did when the script called for it. But in that regard I think they missed a big opportunity to really show off their powers. I see a lot of people thought the gimmick lead to some inspired action sequences but I thought they were a muddled mess. Even after the whole montage of them working together to figure it out they just weren't coordinated enough to pull off some really cool moves. Also I was really looking forward to seeing Kamalah get some upgraded powers while using two bangles but I guess they don't have anything to do with her powers? I'm aware of that throw away line in Ms Marvel but it just isn't consistent with what they've been showing on screen. The villain was a mess and they basically stole the plot from Spaceballs. The SWORD B plot made no sense. Not sure where those extra Flerckens showed up from or why the space station suddenly was on fire. But, like a lot of recent MCU projects, it's the cast that really shined and held it together to make it an overall enjoyable movie.

Really disappointed that it doesn't seem like the rest of the world is on board. Disney has a very serious MCU problem. The levels of BO fail that this movie achieved is really unprecedented. Especially coming off of pretty successful previous outings in Captain Marvel, Wandavision and Ms. Marvel.
IBJoel (12-05-23)
Old 12-05-23, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just a quick note that they only switched when their powers were used at the same time, which I think was fairly consistent.
Big Boy Laroux (12-05-23)
Old 12-06-23, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahh...ok. I didn't catch that. I still stand by my statement that they didn't really use it to full effect and it really just makes the fights a muddled mess. I would have liked to have seen a lot more coordination amongst the three of them with their switching ability.
Old 12-06-23, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tanman
Not sure where those extra Flerckens showed up from or why the space station suddenly was on fire. But, like a lot of recent MCU projects, it's the cast that really shined and held it together to make it an overall enjoyable movie.
Goose came onto the station pregnant... that's where the Flerken kittens came from. The station was on fire due to the proximity to the jump point. Each time Dar-Been opened an unstable one, it had a cascading effect on the station.

The cast chemistry was great.
Old 01-19-24, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts

This is good. But man Iím not feeling anything with the Kree. I hope it turns into something more engaging.
Old 01-20-24, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts

This was... okay. Probably a sold B- or C+.

But I can see why this film struggled at the box office.

It's really very typical MCU fare. Lackluster special effects. Under-developed story. Too much humor and silliness. Poorly developed villain.

The body-swapping conceit was poorly explained and poorly executed. It never really felt clear on why they were doing it, how it happened, or how it worked. It was just... sort of there without explanation. I mean it was something about those bangles and the space-time tears. But it just feels like something the writers pulled out of their asses to bring these three characters together and then tried to handwave it away with technobabble.

Dar-Benn is just another in a long line of MCU underdeveloped, forgettable antagonists. I mean, yeah, she's trying to rejuvenate her planet by stealing shit from other worlds that are important to Carol, but you never really get a sense of the scope of it or the impact it has because they just sort of rush through everything and it's hard to keep track of what's going on. So much stuff, like the why and how the Kree homeworld was decimated just feels glossed over, and when we're watching Dar-Been decimate these other planets it just doesn't resonate.

And then there's all of the silliness mixed in with what is really a fairly dark plot. On one hand, we have the Kree homeworld destroyed by Captain Marvel's actions, entire planets being destroyed and billions probably dying; on the other hand we have stuff like the sing-song planet and cats flerkens eating a space station full of people set to Barbara Streisand singing "Memory." The latter of which is kind of funny, but it should be used to temper the darker aspects which just seem to be downplayed.

I'm not sure what the problem is... if it's bad scripts (MCU films often feel like they're just rushing the first draft into production; Phase IV and V more than the previous three phases), bad direction, or bad editing, but it feels like nobody in the chain of production really knows what kind of movie they're trying to make, and it feels underdeveloped and inconsistent. And all of this stuff they're putting out -- not just The Marvels but Black Widow, The Eternals, Shang-Chi, Wakanda Forever, Quantumania, Love & Thunder, Multiverse of Madness, No Way Home, all of the D+ series -- just feel like muddled, inconsistent messes.

On the plus side, Iman Vellani is absolutely magnetic and holds the movie together while Brie Larson frequently comes off sort of cold and Teyonnah Parris' Monica Rambeau (can't remember her spandex code name, which is sort of a problem in itself there) seems to be underdeveloped and just along for the ride.

And, in The Marvels, they seem to have crafted the ultimate anti-Bechdel Test superhero movie where the four main characters are all women and the main male character (Fury) is just sort of in the background providing exposition and support, but it still feels organic and never comes off heavy-handed or virtue-signally at all, which is a trap that's too easy for a lot of similar projects to fall into.

But like a lot of MCU projects, it felt like there was a really great movie in here somewhere, but they just either won't let it out or don't know how.
Old 01-20-24, 08:58 AM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,015 Likes on 849 Posts

this was not just the worst MCU movie ever, but it was one of the worst movies of 2023. i hated every minute of it. it was a total bore and looked so amateurish.
Old 01-20-24, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great MCU movie... Friend coming over this afternoon to see it. This will make 5 or 6 times for me.
Draven (01-20-24)
Old 01-20-24, 09:14 AM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,015 Likes on 849 Posts

well, yes, of course it is. but, i'm not the only one. not by far.
Old 01-20-24, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know that... just reading back thru this thread it's clear. But I'll continue to defend it.

Draven (01-20-24)
Old 01-20-24, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,912 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm not sure what the problem is... if it's bad scripts (MCU films often feel like they're just rushing the first draft into production; Phase IV and V more than the previous three phases), bad direction, or bad editing, but it feels like nobody in the chain of production really knows what kind of movie they're trying to make, and it feels underdeveloped and inconsistent. And all of this stuff they're putting out -- not just The Marvels but Black Widow, The Eternals, Shang-Chi, Wakanda Forever, Quantumania, Love & Thunder, Multiverse of Madness, No Way Home, all of the D+ series -- just feel like muddled, inconsistent messes.

I know it's just your hot take, but I'm not sure I follow why you grouped all these together. Shang-Chi and Spider-Man: No Way Home were critically acclaimed by fans and critics and both were box office smashes. Shang-Chi made money despite Covid restrictions and No Way Home is one of the highest grossing movies in film history.

If you're trying to say the storytelling in these last 2 phases has been inconsistent, then maybe I agree with you.

And staying on topic, I don't think The Marvels is a terrible movie, it just came out at a bad time with a downward trajectory of Marvel studios and of course coming off 2 major Hollywood strikes. And of course there are those internet tough guys who love to find things to be outraged about like a superhero movie with 3 female leads.

Goldberg74 (01-21-24)
Old 01-20-24, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,292 Likes on 791 Posts

Wakanda Forever makes Shang-Chi look like Citizen Kane. WF definitely deserves to be in that list. I found it unwatchable.

I am not looking forward to watching The Marvels after the lackluster Captain Marvel and the sheer awfulness of Ms. Marvel (I know, I know...critically acclaimed, everyone loves it....blah blah...but fuck that show. It and Moon Knight are wretched.) but I am going to give it a chance. I am hoping my low expectations will lift it a little. But I went into both Shazam Fury Of The Gods and Quantumaina and those low expectations were not only meet but exceeded.

I have yet to sit down with The Blue Beetle. I need to maybe give that a shot this weekend.
Old 01-20-24, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
And of course there are those internet tough guys who love to find things to be outraged about like a superhero movie with 3 female leads.
And female director.
Old 01-20-24, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
And female director.
If you asked me I'd have no idea who directed this movie.. Not everything is fanboys hating women, sometimes people just don't like something for what's presented on the screen.
The following 2 users liked this post by Timber:
Spiderbite (01-20-24), TGM (01-20-24)
Old 01-20-24, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber
If you asked me I'd have no idea who directed this movie.. Not everything is fanboys hating women, sometimes people just don't like something for what's presented on the screen.
And sometimes when you see an outsized critical response to a female-led film, the subtext rapidly becomes text.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
Meathead (01-21-24), Paul_SD (01-21-24)
Old 01-20-24, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,330 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
On the plus side, Iman Vellani is absolutely magnetic and holds the movie together while Brie Larson frequently comes off sort of cold and Teyonnah Parris' Monica Rambeau (can't remember her spandex code name, which is sort of a problem in itself there) seems to be underdeveloped and just along for the ride.
You are spot on about Iman Velani . . .

But I still don't understand why people have this problem with the Captain Marvel character. It isn't Larson's performance that is problematic . . . this is a character that had her previous life essentially erased, was essentially reprogrammed to be Intergalactic RoboCop, and THEN, FROM THERE, had some serious setbacks with rediscovering her old life and forming relationships as she flew around the galaxy by herself . . . yes, the character is going to be socially awkward and anti-social. That is what makes the reveal of her being married so funny.

Monica Rambeau doesn't need a code name . . . (again, you missed the joke)
(I'm a Teyonah Parris stan!)

The following 3 users liked this post by Abob Teff:
DJariya (01-20-24), Draven (01-20-24), Meathead (01-21-24)
Old 01-21-24, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
You are spot on about Iman Velani . . .

But I still don't understand why people have this problem with the Captain Marvel character. It isn't Larson's performance that is problematic . . . this is a character that had her previous life essentially erased, was essentially reprogrammed to be Intergalactic RoboCop, and THEN, FROM THERE, had some serious setbacks with rediscovering her old life and forming relationships as she flew around the galaxy by herself . . . yes, the character is going to be socially awkward and anti-social. That is what makes the reveal of her being married so funny.

Monica Rambeau doesn't need a code name . . . (again, you missed the joke)
(I'm a Teyonah Parris stan!)
Brie Larson definitely gets an unfair rap for her Captain Marvel and I will totally defend her. But...her intro into the MCU was pretty forced. I mean she filmed most of her scenes in IW and EG on her own didn't she? Before Captain Marvel was filmed. So she was already kind of shoehorned in at the last minute. Combine that with her basically being the strongest Avenger and she just comes across as the new kid with all the cool stuff. And of course there's the neckbeards that just hate her for...reasons.

But I think she really shined here. I think the chemistry between the three leads but especially between Larson and Velani were just great. Velani's goofy and honest young girl attitude played perfectly with Larson's all business attitude.

I still think that when they are their CGI selves it was less than ideal. The fight scenes were really uninspired. The first one when they were switching was much more grounded and a great way to introduce the gimmick. But I expected them to really take advantage of it at the end and use it to their advantage. As it was they were mainly just switching places and punching the generic bad guy from a different side.
Old 01-22-24, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

February 7th on Disney+

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.