Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Adam (Collet-Serra, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Black Adam (Collet-Serra, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
5.56%
25.00%
11.11%
25.00%
19.44%
11.11%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-22, 08:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Black Adam" (Starring: Dwayne Johnson, Pierce Brosnan, Aldis Hodge, Sarah Shahi)

Release Date:
10/21/22

Rating:
PG-13 (for sequences of strong violence, intense action and some language throughout.)

Running Time:
124m. (2h. 04m.)

Budget:
$200 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Nearly 5,000 years after he was bestowed with the almighty powers of the Egyptian gods-and imprisoned just as quickly-Black Adam is freed from his earthly tomb, ready to unleash his unique form of justice on the modern world.

End credit sequence(s):

IMDb Info and Rating:IMDb Info and Rating:
7.3 (118 votes as of 10/21/22)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Total Critics Count: 171 (42% as of 10/21/22)

Metacritic:
40 metascore ('Mixed or average reviews' as of 10/21/22)

Trailer:

Poster Art:

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-21-22 at 04:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (10-21-22)
Old 10-20-22, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Re: Black Adam (Collet-Serra, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I’m still waiting for the details in the first post of the Halloween Ends thread
Old 10-20-22, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Only the mildest of spoilers, but I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It was just a good fun superhero flick, nothing particularly groundbreaking, but I've gotten a little burned out on the MCU constant content factory and enjoyed seeing some of my favourite DC characters hit the big screen. Johnson was good, better than I thought he'd be, and I really loved how they did Dr Fate and Hawkman. Cyclone and Atom-Smasher were more afterthoughts and they really didn't get into the history/legacy of the JSA at all, but potential for that further (there was one very cool cameo relating to Atom-Smasher that I dug). On the down side, the big villain was pretty underwhelming and the director was a little too enamored of his slow-mo for my tastes. But generally, it was a fun time at the movies, solid B grade for me.
Old 10-20-22, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Bad ass flick, had a lot of fun with it. Good to see Fate and Hawkman get some recognition. I need Adriana as Isis in the sequel.
Old 10-20-22, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

This was a very entertaining movie. I enjoyed it and look forward to more. Dr Fate was well done and I would've never thought they could make a kick ass Hawkman. But they did.

Atom-Smasher was a rookie and it showed. Cyclone was cool and the actress was very pretty.
Shannon Nutt (10-21-22)
Old 10-21-22, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

This made about $7.6M on Thursday. Not too bad.

Is OldBoy going to complete the first post or what? I would, but I’m not a moderator.
Old 10-21-22, 03:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

People come for the poll, they stay for the discussion.
Old 10-21-22, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

It's a solid movie. Far from great, but much better than many of the reviews would lead you to believe. It's certainly better than the last couple of Marvel films (Thor and Dr. Strange). And, of course, DON'T MISS that post-credits scene!
Old 10-21-22, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I'm surprised of how much I liked this film, but it may be that I was going with the lowest expectations ever. This is one movie that the critics are getting wrong and it is mostly due to their misconception that Black Adam is a hero (he ain't) and that heroes don't kill (some of them do, like Wolverine in X2 and Captain America, Black Widow and Falcon in the Winter Soldier film for example). I felt that everyone was great on their roles, specially everyone in the JSA. Pierce Brosnan was perfect as Dr Fate and Aldis Hodge was so good that he made every fucking racist forget that Carter Hall has always been portrayed as a white guy.

I mean, the whole thing felt perfectly executed and most of the story was engaging and the CGI top notch. The only reason I gave it only 3 stars is because of the Snyder-style use of contemporary music in key scenes. It felt so out of place and unnecessary that it became a distraction, for example, the use of the the Good, the Bad and the Ugly's theme during the standoff with the mercenaries and the use of Paint it Black along with the slow motion shit when Adam was fighting out of the cave. The rest of the score of the film was excellent, so I don't understand why they didn't do it for the whole film with one style.

Love that Henry Winkler played Al Pratt, the original golden age Atom.

I don't mind the changes to Black Adams origin in the film. Even though Black Adam has existed for over 60 years, he was barely used during the first 40 years of his existence and was barely a one dimensional power house villain for Captain Marvel and later Superman. His origin has been revamped already twice in the last 20 years, where Johns took him from a one dimensional villain to an anti-hero and tied his story with Isis, the JSA and Hawkman.

Only question I have is at what point in the DCEU does this film take place. It's almost clear that it takes place before The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker as Harcourt is working for Waller. Still, it felt weird of Superman working with Waller at the end to send a message to Black Adam. The good thing though is that this film actually makes me look forward to more DCEU stuff. It feels that since The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker, most of the DCEU stuff is falling into place. Hopefully, the next Wonder Woman film rebounds from the horrible sequel, Aquaman 2 survives the backlash that Amber Heard is going to bring and the fallout from the Flash is that Ezra Miller is replaced for good.
Old 10-21-22, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

What a weird song cue to show a super-slow motion modern warfare battle to. It's like they never saw the commercials
Old 10-22-22, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Still, it felt weird of Superman working with Waller at the end to send a message to Black Adam.
Waller has had her fingers in many pies with multiple allegiances over the years with both heroes and villains (so long as they suit her agendas). Heck, she even knows the secret identities of most, if not all. So I find it rather amusing that, despite being a pseudo villain, she's essentially the Nick Fury of the DCEU.
Old 10-22-22, 01:32 AM

And speaking of weird contemporary song choices, how odd to use an (admittedly awesome) Kanye needle drop in what is supposed to be a cheer-worthy moment in the film?
I’m not a big “cancel culture” guy, but after Kanye’s recent anti-Semitic outburst and other very erratic behavior, it really felt kind of inappropriate to use his music in a big blockbuster.
Old 10-22-22, 09:21 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

and Aldis Hodge was so good that he made every fucking racist forget that Carter Hall has always been portrayed as a white guy.
⚠️ WARNING! Let’s keep try to keep the racist comments out of these commentaries.
Old 10-22-22, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
And speaking of weird contemporary song choices, how odd to use an (admittedly awesome) Kanye needle drop in what is supposed to be a cheer-worthy moment in the film?
I’m not a big “cancel culture” guy, but after Kanye’s recent anti-Semitic outburst and other very erratic behavior, it really felt kind of inappropriate to use his music in a big blockbuster.
How long does it take to line up a new song; remix / recut the scene; and distribute an updated copy of the movie?

Saw the movie on IMAX last night. Overall, I found it entertaining. Better than the critical scores indicate.

I liked Brosnan as Doctor Fate.

I'll watch it again on HBO Max.
Old 10-22-22, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I totally agree this movie is flawed but there are some critics who seem to be going way way over the top - designated punching bag or something
https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/mov...rst-movie-ever

It’s just a fairly fun superhero movie dude, if that’s not your bag cool, but it is hardly the end of cinema. Jeez, I can think of 20 worse movies without even blinking.
Old 10-22-22, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Yeah, I totally agree this movie is flawed but there are some critics who seem to be going way way over the top - designated punching bag or something
https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/mov...rst-movie-ever

It’s just a fairly fun superhero movie dude, if that’s not your bag cool, but it is hardly the end of cinema. Jeez, I can think of 20 worse movies without even blinking.

Caught this yesterday and agree. It's flawed, drags at some points, but is overall entertaining. My only question is how in the world Adam, after having been imprisoned for 5000 years or such, happens to understand and speak English.
Old 10-22-22, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw it today. It had the fast action of Man of Steel, some of the humor/tone of Shazam! and the visual flourishes and occasional slo-mo of Zack Snyder's Justice League. I thought the JSA was great (especially Hawkman and Doctor Fate), loved the cameo (the first one), and the mid-credits scene was great. I'll also eat my words regarding
Spoiler:
the John Williams theme. The way it was re-orchestrated fit Cavill's Superman to a t.

I can't wait to get it on 4K UHD BD.

That being said,
Spoiler:
I'm disappointed that Kent Nelson is one-and-done.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-22-22 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-22-22, 05:11 PM
Banned

This is funny. The little letters specify where the 89% comes from

Old 10-22-22, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
⚠️ WARNING! Let’s keep try to keep the racist comments out of these commentaries.
WTF?!? What the hell was racist about my post? I really take offense of you calling my comment racist when it is exactly the opposite. If you saw the early comments on social media about Hawkman's casting, you would have seen all these asshole racists saying that why should Hodge be Carter Hall when in the comics he's always been portrayed as a white man. All these racist imbeciles kept posting comments like "Here goes DC again being woke and changing characters to fill a quota". Since the movie came out, I have not seen one comment like this anywhere on social media. The racists have shut up.

You crossed the line saying that my comment was racist.
candyrocket786 (10-25-22)
Old 10-22-22, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
. My only question is how in the world Adam, after having been imprisoned for 5000 years or such, happens to understand and speak English.
That bothered me as well until he no longer spoke English after saying Shazam. So I assume his understanding of English was magically endowed ("wisdom of Solomon" but enhanced).
Dr. DVD (10-23-22)
Old 10-22-22, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

WTF?!? What the hell was racist about my post? I really take offense of you calling my comment racist when it is exactly the opposite. If you saw the early comments on social media about Hawkman's casting, you would have seen all these asshole racists saying that why should Hodge be Carter Hall when in the comics he's always been portrayed as a white man. All these racist imbeciles kept posting comments like "Here goes DC again being woke and changing characters to fill a quota". Since the movie came out, I have not seen one comment like this anywhere on social media. The racists have shut up.

You crossed the line saying that my comment was racist.
You brought racism into the thread for no reason. This isn't twitter.
Old 10-22-22, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don’t think he was saying your comments were racist, but that he didn’t want comments about racists - could’ve been expressed better though
Old 10-22-22, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow

It is almost like some here have an agenda to bring that shit up when it has no bearing on the thread or topic. It is not the first time. It does not belong here.
Old 10-22-22, 05:43 PM

He can fly, stop bullets, is immortal and shoots lightning from his fingers. But being bilingual is where we draw the line on plausibility.

The following 3 users liked this post by Decker:
d2cheer (10-22-22), Kurt D (10-22-22), nickdawgy (10-25-22)
Old 10-22-22, 06:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Cow
Is a movie discussion board and that includes casting and fan reaction to the casting.

Originally Posted by d2cheer
It is almost like some here have an agenda to bring that shit up when it has no bearing on the thread or topic. It is not the first time. It does not belong here.
who are you to say where it belongs? We live in a world where anytime there’s a casting for any character it is scrutinized to no end and the phrase “go woke go broke” are brought in on a daily basis. Things like the Ghostbusters reboot, She-Hulk, Captain America, Ms Marvel, Superman and so on get lambasted by idiots the moment a female or a minority get cast in a role that the source material says it was for a white male. Just look at the threads in this forum for all these films and TV shows and you’ll see the stupid comments being repeated criticizing casting. When the casting for Black Adam and Cyclone was announced, the same racists reactions happened. I pointed out how the racists just shut up after the film came out and suddenly I’m the bad guy? Fuck this

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.