Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Adam (Collet-Serra, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Black Adam (Collet-Serra, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
5.26%
36.84%
15.79%
21.05%
15.79%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Black Adam (Collet-Serra, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 10-23-22, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: Black Adam (Collet-Serra, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I echo the sentiment, except I hope you enjoy it more than I did.
Oh, I thought you'd yet to see it and were going next weekend since you've gotten better.
Old 10-24-22, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 141 Posts

This may be an obscure reference (even for oldies like me), but did anyone think that the font used in the initial end credits section (with the actors' names) looked almost exactly like the font used in Odyssey 2 video games?
Old 10-24-22, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,534 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Oh, I thought you'd yet to see it and were going next weekend since you've gotten better.
No, it's Djariya who hasn't seen it yet and will next week when he's better. I just echoed your kind wishes - - but since wasn't super crazy about the movie so I hoped he will like it more than I did. I just thought it was "okay" at best.
Old 10-24-22, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No, it's Djariya who hasn't seen it yet and will next week when he's better. I just echoed your kind wishes - - but since wasn't super crazy about the movie so I hoped he will like it more than I did. I just thought it was "okay" at best.
I thought I was replying to DJariya.
Old 10-24-22, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 258 Likes on 181 Posts

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkGjG...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=
Old 10-24-22, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I found it interesting that he wore the MoS suit instead of the BvS suit (there's Kryptonian writing within th S of the latter). I wonder if Super has an assortment of suits at home, or does he keep visiting the scout ship at S.T.A.R. Labs for new threads on a regular basis?
Old 10-25-22, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 246 Likes on 201 Posts

I really liked the movie. It's the most entertaining comic book movie in a long time, besides No Way Home. I think the beginning was a bit bumpy, since I didn't really saw the JSA's motivation for hunting Adam before he really did anything. I was suprised how violent the movie is and that they didn't make Black Adam into Maleficent.
The JSA was great, especially Dr. Fate. Pierce Brosnan brought a great presence.
Old 10-25-22, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 212 Likes on 156 Posts

He can fly, stop bullets, is immortal and shoots lightning from his fingers. But being bilingual is where we draw the line on plausibility.
Lol. The wife is the same way. We will watch a Marvel movie where they have powers and all this crazy stuff happens, and then the main character will slow motion jump over a chasm or something and she’s like “yeah right.”
Old 10-25-22, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I loved the how adam feet hardly touch the ground. He hovered for 90% of the movie. I mean, If I could fly my feet would hardly touch the ground too. lol
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (11-09-22)
Old 10-25-22, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 603 Likes on 424 Posts

I haven't seen this movie yet, but I opened up my podcast app and saw the title of the latest episode of the Big Picture. I laughed.

Old 10-25-22, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,534 Posts

I will check that out. I usually agree with Sean on most movies. And he's not a movie snob and likes good Superhero movies and Action films. He really liked No Way Home last year. He flipped over Top Gun : Maverick.
So to see him post this :
Has me intrigued. It's not a good movie, but I didn't think it was at all terrible. I will definitely give the podcast a listen
Old 10-25-22, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 176 Posts

Sean didn't like ELVIS either, so I often don't see eye to eye with him. (Elvis is my favorite film of 2022.)
Old 10-25-22, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 603 Likes on 424 Posts

I listened to the episode. They never even try to suggest that Black Adam is the worst of the decade. The title is pure click bait, but still funny.

There is good conversation towards the end about how the Rock is arguably the most charismatic guy in Hollywood and should have been the can't miss action star of all-time, but somehow has never actually tapped into his real life charisma onscreen and just puts out bad movie after bad movie. It's something I've felt for a long time and it's nice to hear someone more eloquent than I put the thought into words.

Shannon Nutt (10-28-22)
Old 10-25-22, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 847 Likes on 694 Posts

I was actually really surprised by this. Not perfect by any stretch but it’s damn entertaining. Maybe one of my favorite movies starring The Rock in quite a while too.

The Rock did a good job as Black Adam and I also enjoyed the JSA (especially Hackman and Doctor Fate).

Also the end credits scene with Cavill was so great. He looks awesome as ever and I can’t wait for him to return in a full film appearance.

Main things I didn’t like were some of the CG (agreed about the villain) and some of the slow-motion sequences were a bit overdone. Otherwise though solid outing from DC.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-25-22 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-28-22, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Watched Black Adam and it was a lot better than I thought it would be. The last 30 minutes was the standard cgi chaos we always get in comic movies but it was a good fight. The bad guy wasn't setup at all. The X-men showing up was surprising. I heard about the big spoiler but it didn't ruin the movie for me.

I was shocked by how much death is in this movie. This is really a Black Adam movie. Comic book Black Adam kills people even when he is a good guy. This version kills a bunch of people in all kind of ways. Dr Fate wasn't Dr. Fate more like Dr. Strange. I'm pretty sure they will call wind girl discount Storm. I seen the giant dude in Justice League Unlimited but he was pretty close to Ant-man in giant mode. Hawkman is Falcon with super strength. I don't think any of the side character are like their comic book versions but they are good for this movie. Isis is completely different. She has super powers in the comic. I guess she could become super powered later. Here she is Lara Croft with a kid.

I give the movie 8 SHAZAMS out of 10. Stay for the stinger.
Old 10-28-22, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 847 Likes on 694 Posts

It’s funny, I keep seeing the comparisons between Dr. Fate and Dr. Strange. I see some similarities but they don’t seem like carbon copies of each other to me.
Old 10-29-22, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,142 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Saw it today after a week delay tonight. Feeling much better. I gave it 3 1/2 out of 5. I found it entertaining and there was some pretty cool special effects and kills. I was surprised how violent this was. But they kept blood out of the violence. Black Adam was pretty ruthless and killed with no mercy. Johnson was good for what was required. He was an emotionless killing machine who had a lot of anger inside. But, I didn’t really find the backstory all that compelling. The JSA parts were fun and Dr Fate was pretty awesome. Hawkman did get kind of on my nerves a little.

The issue I had with this is that it lacked an emotional humanizing element to get me to really care for the non hero characters. I found Sarah Shahi and the kid annoying mostly. Other characters were pretty wooden.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the Harcourt cameo. Seeing Cavill back in the suit was cool as a wrap up. You could really tell it was shot recently. They made a big effort to not show his face among Amon’s stuff earlier.

Maybe I’ll watch this again when it hits HBO Max next year. Not sure I want to own the disc. I don’t think it’s very re-watchable.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-29-22 at 02:59 AM.
Old 10-29-22, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

Maybe I’ll watch this again when it hits HBO Max next year. Not sure I want to own the disc. I don’t think it’s very re-watchable.
Funny enough, the digital pre-order is already up: https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...k-Adam/2156448

Same for physical media: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Black...lu-ray/325063/

Is it usually that quick these days?
Old 10-29-22, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Shocked to see people liking this. I thought it was an embarrassing pile of shit. I’m over The Rock’s one-note approach to everything. I walked out at the 75 minute mark. Won’t give it a rating but it’s easily one of the worst big studio movies I’ve seen in years. Not as bad as Cats but not too far off.

I will add Alids Hodge was literally the only bright spot in what I watched of the movie.

Last edited by Boba Fett; 10-29-22 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-04-22, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 896 Likes on 570 Posts

Saw this last night and it was fine. Could have done completely without the kid and his mom. Could he have taken two steps without riding his skateboard. WE GET IT - HE'S A SKATER. Really curious how he built an escape hatch into his room too.

Cool to see a fully realized Hawkman with a budget behind him. He looked badass. But Falcon has also already stolen a lot of that thunder. Same with Fate and Dr. Strange - the "multiple copies of himself" trick especially. I did get a thrill when the mask's "eyes" opened at the end. That was a cool moment.

Really liked the actors who played Cyclone and Atom-Smasher but they didn't do anything to help. Could have easily lost those two as well. I actually kind of thought the movie might have been "over" when Adam was put into stasis (I had no idea what the runtime was). That would have been a pretty refreshing end to a superhero movie - no big knock-down-drag-out but an obvious "win" for the good guys. But Fate's premonition hadn't happened yet so I figured it was going to continue.

Cool seeing Harcourt and I wish the stinger hadn't been spoiled so quickly after release but that was also cool to see. The casting of Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are the only good things to come out of Snyder's films so if you have to keep something, keep that.
Old 11-04-22, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 569 Likes on 393 Posts

I found this rather meh. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't call it good either. I thought Johnson was one of the worst parts about it. He usually has more charisma, but he was just so boring and emotionless in this. Is Black Adam really supposed to be like a robot? Is he incapable of emotions? Was that the point?

And I know that they are all separate characters and have their own distinctive powers and personalities, but I don't think it was a great idea to fill the movie with characters that all felt like Marvel counterparts. Someone else went through them all already. I will say Hawkman was able to stand out the most among them, but even he was kind of grating at times.
Old 11-04-22, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,294 Likes on 1,011 Posts

I'm a big fan of Captain Marvel/Shazam!, a big fan of the Rock (from his wrestling days), and a big fan of the Justice Society of America and Dr. Fate, but I'm probably not going to catch this in theaters at least not anytime soon. It does seem like it's not catching on, and especially if it's truly banned in China, a sequel might be unlikely? I thought a ton was riding on this movie as far as DC goes?
Old 11-04-22, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It seems there was to be a post-credits scene featuring the helmet of Nabu: https://thedirect.com/article/black-...fate-exclusive

The brief scrapped sequence takes place during the day in a sandy location. The opening shot slowly pans up from the ground to reveal Doctor Fate's helmet siting atop the sand. A hand then comes into the frame to pick up The Helmet of Fate, although the scene quickly cuts to black before the identity of the mystery individual can be revealed.
As for the reasoning offered in the following video, I don't think anything would have overshadowed the mid-credits scene and this other scene should have been left as a post-credits stinger.

Old 11-21-22, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,142 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Will be on digital tomorrow if you really really want to own it.

Old 11-21-22, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is that seriously the screenshot they went with?
Kurt D (11-21-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.