Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who is the greatest sci-fi villain of all time?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Who is the greatest sci-fi villain of all time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-22, 02:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 965 Likes on 805 Posts
Re: Who is the greatest sci-fi villain of all time?

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I would argue that Ultron is a better choice. Thanos actually did what he did to help save the universe from itself, it's just a very short sighted plan because even if he halved all life in the universe, populations would eventually rise and cause what he had tried to undo. Ultron just wants to eradicate life in its entirety.
yes, but i was referring to the part where Thanos actually succeeded in wiping out 1/2 the universe, at least for 5 years. Ultron did not succeed at his plan at all.
Old 08-01-22, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Moses?
That was my first thought as well.

And, yes, I've seen Tron, too.
Old 08-01-22, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts

Forget Thanos' motives, it's hard to take a guy seriously who has a ball sack where his chin should be.

Originally Posted by stvn1974
If it was only the OT I would agree with Darth Vader. But now you find out he is just a whiney brat who was easily manipulated.
Except he mudered a.dozen kids and blew up an entire planet of people. That's on top of strangling anyone who displeased him. I wouldn't want to hang with him.
Old 08-01-22, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,318 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Would Clarence Bodikker (Kurtwood Smith) from Robocop count? I always think of it as a sci-fi action movie.
He definitely scared me the most as a kid. Granted, I probably shouldn’t have been watching Robocop when I was just 10 years old but still…
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (08-02-22)
Old 08-01-22, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Spoiler:
I don't know if I'd agree that the MCP is the greatest sci-fi villain of all time, but regardless, thanks for the trip down memory lane. It's a shame we didn't get a version of it in Tron: Legacy.
IBJoel (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 992 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
the definition of Science fiction is a genre of speculative fiction that contains imagined elements that don't exist in the real world. Science fiction spans a wide range of themes that often explore time travel, space travel, are set in the future, and deal with the consequences of technological and scientific advances.

since the last two Avengers movies deal with just about all of that and though may not be a traditional sci-fi movie, i think i can skirt the line and in those regards say that one of the greatest villains i've seen (especially for what he did in Infinity War) is:

By that definition the MCU wouldn't fit and neither would Star Wars. Space travel is merely a conveyance. Neither deal with the consequences of technology or scientific advances. And the part you bolded is way to generic. There's nothing to distinguish it from fantasy if that were the case.

But I do like Thanos and he has been one of the more compelling villains of all time.
Old 08-02-22, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 992 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
Of all the sci-fi films out there who is the greatest villain that if he/she really existed in our reality today, would strike fear in every heart? Btw Godzilla is a contender.

My pick would be Darth Vader. 👍

Wait. I think no one is really getting the jest of this thread. So is this is supposed to be who would be the most fear inducing villain IRL? Like assuming you don't know much about the villain and they are just out there IRL? I'd think not Darth Vader then because I'm sure there would be a large populace that would see Darth Vader as a politician representing order in the galaxy. We likely wouldn't know anything about his exploits. They would probably spin the destruction of Alderaan as a large terrorist planet that had to be eradicated to maintain peace.

I'd think any kind of kaiju would be the most terrifying IRL. Just imagine if Godzilla were real. The utter destruction. Just an unstoppable force of nature that kills indiscriminately. Levels entire cities. Oh yeah and he spits out radioactive atomic breath. Then an even larger three headed one shows up and they start fighting and falling on buildings and knocking them out.
Old 08-02-22, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,500 Likes on 949 Posts

I think there's a difference between a villain and a monster. Jaws is a monster. The Andromeda Strain bacteria is a monster. A kaiju is a monster, and it's really a personification of a force of nature. A tornado isn't a villain, even though it's destructive. A villain has malice.
Old 08-02-22, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
A villain has malice.
There are two kinds of villains. One acts purely out of malice or cruelty for their own pleasure. The other kind believes their actions are right, just, or beneficial. Thanos, and probably even Darth Vader, would fall into the latter. Though some are combination of both.

Thanos and Adrien Veidt both killed a lot of people because they believed the action was necessary.

It is an uncomfortable proposition. We can easily look at someone like Osama bin Laden or Adolf Hitler and call them villains because they are responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocents; both believed their causes were righteous and would not have seem themselves as villains.

But, on the flipside, are we as comfortable calling George W. Bush a villain because he started two pre-emptive wars that killed tens of thousands of people? Are we comfortable with calling Harry Truman a villain because he dropped two atomic bombs on Japanese cities, killing and maiming thousands in the process, even though it may have prevented even more casualties on both sides if the war against Japan had dragged on for years?

Old 08-02-22, 10:56 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 965 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It is an uncomfortable proposition. Adolf Hitler and call them villains because they are responsible for the deaths of millions of innocents; both believed their causes were righteous and would not have seem themselves as villains.
fixed!
tanman (08-04-22)