Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.82%
5.45%
25.45%
23.64%
25.45%
5.45%
3.64%
5.45%
0%
1.82%
1.82%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-22, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts
Re: Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I don’t mind Phase 4 being more stand-alone. I think more than anything Marvel fatigue has finally begun to set in for me. It’s just too much anymore.

It feels like almost every month there’s a new film or series and it’s just like enough is enough after a while. It doesn’t feel special to watch a Marvel product anymore.

Also some of the samey feeling of the MCU in terms of how the films look and and feel has wore thin.
Old 07-16-22, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

I use to collect comics and absolutely loved heading to the comic shop every wednesday for the new releases. So, a bunch of marvel movies doesnt bother me as long as they keep being entertaining. I'm happy.
Old 07-17-22, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
I use to collect comics and absolutely loved heading to the comic shop every wednesday for the new releases. So, a bunch of marvel movies doesnt bother me as long as they keep being entertaining. I'm happy.
My take as well. I never get superhero/powers burnout. Watch all the shows on TV and movies and will keep watching.
Old 07-17-22, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I believe that they have to keep churning these out from a business perspective to keep it viable. These movies are a huge investment of time, money and people and they need 3 to 4 releases per year to make that happen. Doing one offs every year or so could actually turn out even more mediocre efforts as they have to get the machine going again. Sure I've had a few disappointments with some of the films released from the last decade or so, but for the most part they have been entertaining. We could talk about several super hero movies where the focus was on that one hero without any building and recognize that those movies were also mediocre to piss poor. Green Lantern, Daredevil, Punisher, Original Doctor Strange movie, Captain America OG movie, Elektra, Spiderman 3, Ghost Rider films, and others out there. I'm not sure if making them an event like Star Wars with a year or two between them would actually make each release any better of a movie.
Old 07-17-22, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

It’s not that I don’t enjoy most of the output. That’s not the message I’m trying to convey.

It’s that the content doesn’t really feel special or like an event anymore. With so much of it coming now it’s just like: “oh, another Marvel film/series”. The excitement I have for a new film or series is just lessened by getting so much of it.

That’s just a little sad and also at times it feels like too much. There’s a reason why I’m backlogged on a bunch of the Disney+ content and still haven’t watched Eternals.
The following users liked this post:
Throwing Copper (07-17-22)
Old 07-17-22, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 829 Likes on 549 Posts

I wouldn’t say it’s marvel fatigue, for me it’s just I’m not all that interested in half of the stuff released so far.
I have zero interest in ever rewatching Eternals, Shang Chi & Black Widow. On the other hand I enjoyed No Way Home, Multiverse Of Madness & Love and Thunder.
In regards to tv, Loki & Wandavision are major MCU high points. Hawkeye was good too. What If?, Falcon… and Moon Knight were disappointments. I’ll probably skip Ms Marvel.
Old 07-17-22, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,037 Posts

And the only thing I’m really excited about in theaters these days are MCU movies. Top Gun aside, nothing else holds a candle to how excited I get about the next Marvel entry.

There is a ton of great TV but whatever the new MCU series is has become appointment viewing for me and my family. Bring it on for years to come!
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
actionjackson29 (07-18-22), Boondock Saint (07-18-22)
Old 07-18-22, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
This movie was a hot mess of awfulness.

Zero laughs yet plays itself like a comedy. Action was dull. Storyline insipid. And the kids...goddamn...the kids.

Funny thing is, I heard some of the bad reviews, but I liked the trailer, loved Ragnarok and even liked Dark World. I went in with good expectations. But this steaming pile of poo is worse than Black Widow and might even be worse than The Eternals.

Christian Bale was the only breath of fresh air in this turd. He was great and brought some emotional weight and good acting to an otherwise non-emotional exercise in "let's make a Disneyfied, paint-by-the-numbers super-hero comedy."

The kids. Ugh. It reminded me of how Obi-Wan blows so many chunks due to the additional of a precocious, wise beyond her years 10-year-old Leia (in a toddler's body) for kid-service. Disney has moved from "fan-service" of their two big franchises to "kid-service." Let's make the little kids happy. What do they like? Dumb jokes, lots of visuals, and annoying children who play a large part in the storyline...and interesting writing does not matter. Actually, any semblance of mature storytelling can be thrown out the window when you are just trying to please the young ones and you have an existing, rabid fanbase that will pretty much forgive every bad decision by showing up every time...no matter how bad the last movie or TV show stunk.

I sat there cringing through pretty much every minute of this movie. Fucking hated it. My 18-year-old son hated it and my other buddy who attended (who grew up reading comics) hated it.

So, I sat there thinking...it is a comic book movie. Shouldn't it cater to kids? Then I thought about the comics I grew up reading in the 70's and 80's as a kid. Sure, a few catered to the very young but most Marvel comics I read never talked down to kids or were watered down for kids. They were written at a teen level at minimum. With dramatic, important storylines with teen/adult issues.

And therein lies the problem. Disney has left the teen market and gone all in for the wee ones in both Star Wars and Marvel. Kids and Adults can enjoy stuff aimed and written for teens (if written well). Teens cans enjoy stuff written for Adults. But Teens and Adults tend to forgo the kiddie stuff and want more mature writing and comedy. Thor and Obi-Wan show that Disney have pushed all their chips into the kiddie market and unfortunately, it looks like that is the direction for the future.

Now I know some Adults will scream..."but I love all the Minions movies." Good for you. But those were made for kids in mind. The Star Wars movies and Marvel/DC comics of the 70's & 80's were made for older kids/teens and were so well made, that every age could enjoy them. Both of these franchises have now drastically lost their way (Star Wars a long time ago) and I am afraid the Marvel magic is gone after seeing all their released films of the last year (Spider-Man not included).

Sorry for the rant but this movie really pissed me off.

*1/2 out of *****

ps. Screaming goats...who the fuck okayed that joke to be used the entire movie? Fuck off.

Hyperbole much? I didn't think the movie was great myself, but I see no need to fill my review full of such vitriol. Not very professional sounding.
Old 07-18-22, 08:41 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

haven't seen it yet, but disappointed in the reviews. Thought Ragnarok was top 3 in the MCU and thought "dumbing down" and "lightening up" Thor was a brilliant move as the first 2 Thor movies were rather dull.
Old 07-18-22, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

I appreciated how some of the more serious moments were allowed to play out instead of immediately dropping a joke. On a similar note, I felt that a lot of the jokes fell into Family Guy overuse (hammer sentience, screaming goats, etc). Bale was awesome, and I wish there was a lot more of him slaying various gods. I'm fine with these less-interconnected movies for now, as previously I was starting to feel like each movie was just being used as a stepping stone to get to another movie.

Portman looked totally different with her helmet on. I'm trying to figure out who she reminds me of, and whether it's an actor or someone I know in real life. It's really bothering me.
I guess I've never really heard a Greek accent before, because Crowe's accent seemed to be all over the place. I didn't really care for his character, hopefully if/when he shows up again, it's a bit more serious and god-like.
That portion of November Rain always gave me chills when I first started listening to it, so I thought it was well used. Giving the kids powers (for a limited time) was pretty fun.
Old 07-19-22, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 989 Likes on 698 Posts

Yikes. This was a trainwreck. I loved Ragnarok, and I appreciate that Marvel and Waititi took a big swing here, but it did not work.

I think this might be straw that breaks the camel's back for me and the MCU. It hurts to say that because I love Hemsworth and I never thought a Thor movie would be the one to do it, but at this point I'd almost rather watch just about anything else. Hyperbole for sure, but all this Marvel stuff feels like homework and has for a long time.
Old 07-20-22, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,228 Likes on 4,250 Posts

I find the online hate this film has been getting both here and everywhere else so interesting. Don't get me wrong, I didn't love it and thought the tone was all over the place. But I didn't mind it and really liked Christian Bale's performance. I thought it was just fine and never checked my watch, even if it felt far inferior to Ragnarok. How it's become so loathed in ten days is just baffling to me.
The following 3 users liked this post by Decker:
B.A. (07-20-22), Boondock Saint (07-20-22), IBJoel (07-20-22)
Old 07-20-22, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

My wife hated it. I knew she would the minute the Guardians left.

The rest of us liked it, but as my son pointed out - there was a lot of cringe.

Thankfully, it wasn't three hours long, and there was still plenty to amuse.
Old 07-20-22, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 989 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I find the online hate this film has been getting both here and everywhere else so interesting. Don't get me wrong, I didn't love it and thought the tone was all over the place. But I didn't mind it and really liked Christian Bale's performance. I thought it was just fine and never checked my watch, even if it felt far inferior to Ragnarok. How it's become so loathed in ten days is just baffling to me.
I didn't hate it. I just think it's a mess. It felt like 5 different movies thrown together in a blender. Any one of them could have been interesting on their own, but instead we're left with a bunch of disparate parts suck together. I also didn't find it that funny. Obviously that's subjective, but when a large portion of the jokes don't land in a movie like this, there's not much else to say.
Old 07-20-22, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I was entertained but I think they overstepped the mark in trying to be crazier than Ragnarok. A lot of the movie just was ridiculous without being funny and some of the jokes (the goats, Stormbreaker's jealousy, and the different kinds of gods) drawn to death, without being that funny to begin with.
The tone and behavior of the character's shifted a lot and they returned Thor back into an insecure doofus, which I didn't like at all. In Infinity War he became a strong leader and was broken by the end of the movie, lost his way between Infinity War and Endgame, but showed character deveolpment after he talked to his mother one last time.
That's all washed away or at least most of it, he had some adult moments with Jane.

I really liked Christian Bale's performance, the relationship bewteen Thor and Jane was handeled well by the end of the movie, the soundtrack was awesome. Having Dio's Rainbow in the Dark for the end credits was a perfect fit on so many levels.
The obvious catch phrase for Jane would have been "Stop! It's hammer time."
Old 07-20-22, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,193 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Because people have finally let go of their denial. You get the crazy MCU fanboys that love everything Marvel squats out no matter what. It's like, no, MCU films can be mediocre and even shitty. The MCU doesn't get a pass and some folks are starting to see that -- it's sinking in days after seeing it.
Spiderbite (07-20-22)
Old 07-20-22, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Because people have finally let go of their denial. You get the crazy MCU fanboys that love everything Marvel squats out no matter what. It's like, no, MCU films can be mediocre and even shitty. The MCU doesn't get a pass and some folks are starting to see that -- it's sinking in days after seeing it.
Or people like things and it's okay that they like them

IBJoel (07-20-22)
Old 07-20-22, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,898 Posts

I have long said this, but the individual MCU films just aren't that good. A handful were good, a larger handful were terrible, most were mediocre, and none were great.

The main thing it had going for it was its interconnectedness and the sense that it was building toward something bigger. The whole was, indeed, greater than the sum of its parts.

But now that the Infinity War is over, the big guns (Tony Stark and Steve Rogers) have exited, and there's a sense that the MCU is adrift and without direction. A bland and forgettable Black Widow movie, a cartoony Kung Fu movie, a movie about a group of characters that feels like its completely out of place in the MCU, and a bunch of Disney+ tv series about a bunch of b-listers (Wandavision, Falcon and Winter Soldier, Hawkeye, Moon Knight, et al), and now they're trotting out the "multiverse" and dragging older properties into the MCU, which makes it feel like they're running out of ideas.

And, I believe, another critical failure on the part of the MCU is its lack of decent villains for our heroes to go up against. Outside of Thanos and Loki, they've given us characters like Agatha Harkness, Killmonger, Yellowjacket, and I can't even remember most of the others. Even other big guns like Red Skull and Ultron were one-and-dones. And the MCU version of Spiderman faced off against... Vulture and Mysterio. Heroes are defined by their villains, whether its Darth Vader, Voldemort, or The Joker.

I do think that, with Phase Four, the MCU audience is starting to catch on that the Emperor has not clothes.
Why So Blu? (07-20-22)
Old 07-20-22, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And I couldn't be happier with the direction of the MCU. Some of those movies are among my favorite films of all time (I could watch Winter Soldier and Civil War on repeat forever). And I've really enjoyed the worlds of Shang-Chi, the Eternals and finally a film for my favorite MCU character, Black Widow. Plus fantastic entries in the Strange and Thor standalones.

Old 07-20-22, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven
Or people like things and it's okay that they like them
Yes, but folks are also coming to their senses and saying that on second thought, it wasn't very good. That's ok, too, or is it not? Is this now the MCU elitist members only club or what?
Old 07-20-22, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, but folks are also coming to their senses and saying that on second thought, it wasn't very good. That's ok, too, or is it not? Is this now the MCU elitist members only club or what?
People can certainly have that opinion. But others may not automatically share that opinion. It's okay to not like MCU movies. I don't think Dark World is very good at all and Incredible Hulk is downright forgettable. I love Rudd but I don't even like the original Ant-Man that much,

But for me, I think it's great that the MCU is moving away from Iron Man and Captain America and I'm very excited for the "next generation" of heroes. Also we still remember the payoff of Infinity War and Endgame without apparently remembering that it took 11 MCU movies before Thanos spoke on-screen ("Fine, I'll do it myself" in Ultron). So anyone who says that Phase 4 is "floundering" isn't remembering how long the build-up was before. We are only 6 movies past Endgame (and one of them was a prequel) and everyone's freaking out that we don't know who the big bad is yet.

I just think it's an unfair criticism.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
actionjackson29 (07-20-22), IBJoel (07-20-22)
Old 07-20-22, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,091 Likes on 662 Posts

Exactly.

Yeah, I ranted. But I wasn't being hyperbolic. I was expressing my true feelings for this piece of shit film which will eventually become one of the more hated in the series as time progresses, of which I have no doubt.

But at least I didn't just pop in, give a low vote, post "it sucked" and then flee. I actually gave reasons why I thought it sucked and the problems that surrounded the movie as a whole.

But should any criticize any movie with Marvel (at least initially) and people rush to its defense no matter what. Same as Star Wars. My mind was blown after reading post after post for every episode of Obi-Wan how people loved it, liked it or stated they didn't like a lot about it but then went on to argue and defend how it wasn't too bad after they discussed all of its issues and why they didn't like it. But also in these Obi-Wan threads they were stating how bad Fett sucked. So, I started watching Fett and read the threads for first episodes for it and the majority was all GLOWING responses. Um...okay.

People seem to want to like something so much that they taint their feelings for it because they don't want to admit being disappointed or even outright irritated.

But hey, if you liked this film, good for you. You also probably liked The Eternals and Black Widow which were also in the same caliber as this new Thor film. There is an audience for crappy super-hero films no matter how crappy (see most of the recent DC Universe for that).

Kinda like Star Wars prequels effect, I guess. Not okay to criticize at first but let it sink in for a year or two after several rewatches and you find that the movies you thought were good turned out to be turds (yes...that includes Revenge Of The Sith).

Then suddenly you can freely admit it without retribution (sometimes) because others are finding out the same thing around the same time.

But here...watch this. They handle many of the issues with this film far better than I did and with much more aplomb.

Why So Blu? (07-20-22)
Old 07-20-22, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

People can certainly have that opinion. But others may not automatically share that opinion. For example, I think it's great that the MCU is moving away from Iron Man and Captain America and I'm very excited for the "next generation" of heroes. Also we still remember the payoff of Infinity War and Endgame without apparently remembering that it took 11 MCU movies before Thanos spoke on-screen ("Fine, I'll do it myself" in Ultron). So anyone who says that Phase 4 is "floundering" isn't remembering how long the build-up was before. We are only 6 movies past Endgame (and one of them was a prequel) and everyone's freaking out that we don't know who the big bad is yet.

I just think it's an unfair criticism.
My main point was on what Decker posted. 10 days later and people have turned on it. Yeah, because those people have come to their senses. There's no other reason why. The euphoria, or the collective high they experienced opening night has gone away and now they're like, it really wasn't all that.
Old 07-20-22, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

Also we still remember the payoff of Infinity War and Endgame without apparently remembering that it took 11 MCU movies before Thanos spoke on-screen ("Fine, I'll do it myself" in Ultron).
I get the point you're trying to make, but it's actually 10 films. He had a speaking role in Guardians.

Old 07-20-22, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My main point was on what Decker posted. 10 days later and people have turned on it. Yeah, because those people have come to their senses. There's no other reason why. The euphoria, or the collective high they experienced opening night has gone away and now they're like, it really wasn't all that.
I literally cannot wait to see it again. I'm even more excited to revisit after listening to some podcasts this week about it.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma
I get the point you're trying to make, but it's actually 10 films. He had a speaking role in Guardians.
You're right - I forgot about that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.