Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.82%
5.45%
25.45%
23.64%
25.45%
5.45%
3.64%
5.45%
0%
1.82%
1.82%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 09-09-22, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts
Re: Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
And the GnR music use was pointless
I didn't like the movie, but I thought the November Rain scene was one of the best in the movie.
Old 09-09-22, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Saw this on IMAX opening night and thought it was good with some rough spots.

Saw it again last night on Disney+ and liked it better than the first time.

There were several moments intended to be funny that didn't land for me (the goats were intolerable), but I laughed quite a bit. I liked the jealous Stormbreaker running gag.

The black and white sequence on the moon was visually interesting. I also liked the visual of Yggdrasil when Thor was preparing the kids for the battle.

I didn't recognize Bale the first time I watched it.
Old 09-09-22, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Saw it again the second time and thought it was good the first time, not great, and didn't really change opinion much. Saw it with the kids, 11 and 13 year old daughters, and they felt the comedy was forced.
Old 09-09-22, 07:22 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I didn’t laugh once.

Christian Bale was the best part of the movie. The rest of it I didn’t care much for.

I don’t even understand what the point of the end-credits clip was. I think it was an automatic give.on that Jane went to Valhalla, why bother showing it?
Old 09-09-22, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I didn’t laugh once.

Christian Bale was the best part of the movie. The rest of it I didn’t care much for.

I don’t even understand what the point of the end-credits clip was. I think it was an automatic give.on that Jane went to Valhalla, why bother showing it?
I guess to show that it actually was a real place. Maybe, she and other escape and return sometime in the future.
Old 09-10-22, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

This was a dud for me. I’m not sure they knew what kind of movie they wanted to make so they just threw it all together in a blender to see what came out. Christian Bale was great but it felt like he was in a completely different movie. I’m not sure how you can go from literally opening the movie with a heart-wrenching scene of a father having his young daughter die in his arms to Thor doing Van Damme splits against two owl men in Flash Gordon machines in a matter of about 4 minutes.

They threw everything at the wall to see what would stick but the wall was Teflon. The visuals were mostly boring, Mighty Thor didn’t have the impact it should have, some jokes were good but they all felt out of place, GnR music felt like they were trying too hard, the cameos were funny I’m the last movie but were painful here.

It really feels like the MCU is running on fumes at the moment.
Old 09-10-22, 11:41 AM
Banned

This was a movie where the parts seemed to be more important than the whole. It appears the cameos of other Marvel characters, especially those like Galactus and Eternity were more important than the actual movie itself.

Old 09-10-22, 11:43 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

Ragnarok is top 3 MCU movie for me.

I liked this one well enough. Laughed a bunch of times, and definitely liked it better than Thor 1 and 2, but still a disappointment from those involved coming off of Ragnarok because my expectations were through the roof.
Old 09-10-22, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Watched on D+ because nothing I saw beforehand made me want to spend actual money in the theater to see this.

Good call.

This was straight up bad filmmaking. Forced humor aside, the tone of the movie was all over the place, the guns and roses soundtrack was cliched and annoying, and the whole thing just felt slapped together. Things happen without explanation or purpose, but only to serve the weak humor. I felt like I was watching a movie made by a Thor Shitposting Memes Facebook group. There were some good ideas in this, but the execution was sloppy to downright lazy. I'm not a huge fan of Ragnarok (although it's grown on me a little), but while it came uncomfortably close to crossing the line from comedic touches to broad farce, this ran across the line and never looked back. This will not grow on me. This is a superhero parody along the lines of Meet The Spartans. Embarrassing.

It just seems like after Endgame the MCU folks had no plan whatsoever. Nothing past that with the exception of the Spider-Man movies, has had any purpose. The D+ series started out promising with Wandavision, but overall they seem more interested in turning themselves into the Marvel Goofyverse. There's nothing wrong with expanding their target market with movies like Shang-Chi and shows like Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, etc. and there's absolutely ZERO reason to go all DCEU dark and gritty, but the reason Marvel got to where they are today is they took the characters and stories seriously. Yes, every MCU film has some comedic element, and that makes them enduring. But this was just a joke. Period.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jason:
GoldenJCJ (09-10-22), OldBoy (09-10-22), Wolf359 (09-10-22)
Old 09-10-22, 05:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

When the hell does this movie remotely get good? I’m an hour in and it’s so blah. The action is lacking. There is not one laugh nor do I think some parts are remotely stunning looking. I would have expected more from Waititi from loving Ragnarok. Too bad.
Old 09-10-22, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
When the hell does this movie remotely get good? I’m an hour in and it’s so blah. The action is lacking. There is not one laugh nor do I think some parts are remotely stunning looking. I would have expected more from Waititi from loving Ragnarok. Too bad.
Well,I wrote the above negative review after viewing the first hour or so, up to when they escaped the home of the gods. The second half gets a *little" better at points, the fight on the Rick and Morty moon is well done, and the final resolution of Gor's storyline is actually nice. The battle beforehand was ok, except for the Thor Kiddies Power Hour.

It all falls completely apart during the Coda though. Needless info and a setup for another terrible sequel. For a few minutes in the second half I thought I'd want to walk back a few things I said above, but after the final scenes? Nope. It says Thor will return during the credits. I only hope they can come up with something better than this.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (09-10-22)
Old 09-10-22, 05:54 PM

Wow, did this blow. It was not at all entertaining. Big fail.
Old 09-10-22, 06:12 PM

Wth? was that b/w scene and it’s purpose? And Thor in that get up in the real world was not quite a great look.
Old 09-10-22, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Bits and pieces were good, but, overall, this thing was all over the place.

The humor was either cringey or didn't land. (Or both, with that dumpling god gag.)

Then it gets maudlin with Jane being sick and dying, and, finally, ends on a mawkish tone.

It's trying to do all of these things that just don't come together in a coherent movie.
Old 09-10-22, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

The “Rick and Morty moon”.

I thought that looked familiar.
Old 09-10-22, 06:27 PM

And, I guess apparently anyone can yield Stormbreaker and Mjolnir.
Old 09-10-22, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I think Waititi had too much free reign with this film. His humor can be too much/hit or miss with me. Him directing Ragnarok but not writing it was the right combination last time it seems.
Old 09-11-22, 12:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think Waititi had too much free reign with this film. His humor can be too much/hit or miss with me. Him directing Ragnarok but not writing it was the right combination last time it seems.
Also there was a set path- Ragnaorok was an important piece building up to Endgame, now they seem kind of directionless.
Old 09-11-22, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
And, I guess apparently anyone can yield Stormbreaker and Mjolnir.
​​​​​​
Only Jane and Thor wielded Mjolnir in this movie. Mjolnir was enchanted by Odin (as seen in the first movie) with the worthiness test for wielding.

Stormbreaker has no such enchantment.
Old 09-11-22, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

The more I think about it, the less I like it.

I don't dislike this movie, I'm just not a fan. I'm going to skip this movie on Blu Ray. I like The Dark World a lot more.

The biggest problem with Love and Thunder is that there is no focus. It's like they had 4 different writers and 4 different directors doing different parts of the movie. There was no cohesion at all. It was a jumbled mess, and it even further dumbed Thor down.

Very disappointing, especially since I really like Natalie Portman and the character of Jane. There was so much potential for a great Thor movie, but Waititi really blew it.

If they do a new Thor movie it's time for some new blood writing and directing it. Take it a little more seriously.
Old 09-11-22, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

My wife and I watched this last night on D+.

Our big takeaway was that The Dark World is no longer the worst Thor movie.

This was just bad. 5 out of 10 from me. The eye-rolling overuse of GnR hits, the dopey comedy that hardly stopped and didn't land, the tonal mismatch, little in this movie really worked. Except for the insane visuals. The movie looked FANTASTIC. And the underutilized Christian Bale was outstanding. I think he was the villain from another movie. But everything else? Anemic and lacking.

This was no Ragnarok by any stretch. Disappointing.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (09-11-22)
Old 09-11-22, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

I like GnR but I wonder why he decided to use so many songs. At least James Gunn creates a mixtape feel with his soundtracks. Maybe the had a special on multiple songs.
Old 09-11-22, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Well, they did have "Rainbow in the Dark" playing over the end credits.

But agreed on the overuse of GnR. Should have stuck with "Sweet Child O'Mine," and then dropped in some other old school 80s metal like Priest's "Painkiller" and maybe some more obscure stuff. (And, yes, I know Painkiller came out in 1990. Close enough.)
Old 09-11-22, 09:08 AM
Banned

I didn’t really get what a lot of this movie was going for. Why is Hercules such a threat? Thor took down Zeus.
Old 09-11-22, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Given how this deleted scene doesn't fit with the finished film at all, I wonder if there was to be a vastly different movie before someone (Waititi or a studio executive) shit the bed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.