DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/655705-thor-love-thunder-waititi-2022-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

OldBoy 07-04-22 12:52 PM

Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Thor: Love and Thunder" (Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Christian Bale, Tessa Thompson, Taika Waititi, Russell Crowe)

Release Date:
7/8/22

Rating:
PG-13 (for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, language, some suggestive material and partial nudity throughout.)

Running Time:
125m. (2h. 05m.)

Budget:
$200 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Thor's retirement is interrupted by a galactic killer known as Gorr the God Butcher, who seeks the extinction of the gods. To combat the threat, Thor enlists the help of King Valkyrie, Korg and ex-girlfriend Jane Foster, who - to Thor's surprise - inexplicably wields his magical hammer, Mjolnir, as the Mighty Thor. Together, they embark upon a harrowing cosmic adventure to uncover the mystery of the God Butcher's vengeance and stop him before it's too late.

End credit sequence(s):
??.

IMDb Info and Rating:
0.0 (0 votes as of 7/4/22)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Total Critics Count: 0 (xx% as of 7/4/22)

Metacritic:
tbd metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 7/4/22)

Trailer:

Poster Art:
https://i.imgur.com/UGptxGX.jpg

dex14 07-05-22 09:32 AM

Re: Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/thor_love_and_thunder

RichC2 07-05-22 09:47 AM

Sounds like it tries too hard, and some people hate that while others are just fine with it.

Mike86 07-05-22 11:56 AM

Yeah, the reactions sound more mixed than Ragnarok which is disappointing. Sounds like it leans a bit too much into the goofy elements and the jokes don’t always necessarily land.

Also sounds like it’s kind of a typical Thor type story and goes back to the same well of him being a big oaf who messes something up and he has to fix something/learn a lesson.

RichC2 07-05-22 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 14128020)
Yeah, the reactions sound more mixed than Ragnarok which is disappointing. Sounds like it leans a bit too much into the goofy elements and the jokes don’t always necessarily land.

Also sounds like it’s kind of a typical Thor type story and goes back to the same well of him being a big oaf who messes something up and he has to fix something/learn a lesson.

To be fair it'd be hard for it to not be more mixed than Ragnarok, that movie stands as the 4th most critically acclaimed Marvel movies to date behind Black Panther, Iron Man 1 and Endgame.

Inhumans99 07-05-22 04:08 PM

AV Club said that while the villain in the film was solid, and Chris Hemsworth's charm just flows from the screen, the film does take a while to get going. They did give it a B, so that is something considering there are quite a few MCU films that they have given no better than a C or C+ review.

Mike86 07-05-22 04:42 PM

I’ve heard that Bale is good but feels restrained instead of being allowed free reign.

Hokeyboy 07-05-22 05:16 PM

Another wait until Disney+ it seems. I'm good with that :up:

DJariya 07-07-22 10:44 AM

The Thor hammer popcorn vessel is $40? That’s really expensive.

This kind of gives you an idea of how big it is. I guess it’s being sold in some international theatres.

rexinnih 07-07-22 02:25 PM

I think I need this Thor hammer popcorn bucket. So when you want a refill, do you just throw it towards the counter and it returns full?

The Antipodean 07-07-22 03:38 PM

I liked it a lot, although Taika’s day-glo aesthetic is less of a novelty this time around. If you’re not a fan of his humour your mileage will vary but obviously I have to root for team New Zealand.

It’s not perfect and there’s some choices I’m sure the endless complainers section of the internet will harp on about, but as a big fan of the Jason Aaron comics run much of it is based on I thought it handled Gorr/Lady Thor really well. Great visuals and use of colour.

highlights- Portman is fantastic and it’s great to see her stretch her talents after sort of sleepwalking through the first two Thors

Bale is also great and gets better motivation than a lot of MCU villains. Did feel they rushed through the setup of his quest though and just leapt right into the action.

Crowe’s Zeus will annoy many people but it grew on me

Tessa Thompson is a Queen, or a King. 😍

GOATS.

dex14 07-07-22 04:19 PM

Roy FUCKING Kent as Hercules! Woooooah.

It was a fun summer film. The scene where Thor gives all the kids his powers and GnR is blaring rocked.

Portman was great. EAT MY HAMMER! Bale seemed a little bit wasted, but did fine with what he had to do.

Why couldn’t Thor make a wish to Eternity to bring back Jane like Gorr did for his daughter?

csant 07-07-22 06:26 PM

I really enjoyed it as well. Gorr (Bale) was awesome.

I would love to see a movie base on Gorr alone. =)

dsa_shea 07-07-22 07:16 PM

We just got back from seeing it and enjoyed it quite a bit. They could have interspersed a few minutes of Gorr battling and slaying other gods leading up to his encounter with Thor. That was a wasted opportunity with a great villain.

Double_Oh_7 07-07-22 07:28 PM

I've been disappointed with Phase 4; hardly any connectivity between each movie, they're all stand alone and don't build on each other. And there doesn't seem to be any set-up to a big event or team up, or even hints of a Big Bad. They had plenty of time to drop in tiny references to Dr. Doom or Galactus.

Double_Oh_7 07-07-22 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 14129225)

Why couldn’t Thor make a wish to Eternity to bring back Jane like Gorr did for his daughter?

Wouldn't Thor die then like Gorr did?

csant 07-07-22 07:47 PM

I think Gorr died cuz he was corrupted by the sword.

stingermck 07-07-22 08:00 PM

Enjoyed the hell out of it. Mighty Thor run is my fav Thor story and Nat did great with it.

Bale is great as always and funny Thor is the best Thor.

Goats!

nickdawgy 07-07-22 08:08 PM

It wasn’t bad but it wasn’t great. Way too cringy and awful in some points. Bale was good.

Still better than the Dark World.

dex14 07-07-22 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 14129291)
Wouldn't Thor die then like Gorr did?

Was it ever said that you give up your life to make the wish?

Originally Posted by csant (Post 14129297)

This is what I thought… injuries and the sword being destroyed.

The Antipodean 07-07-22 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 14129290)
I've been disappointed with Phase 4; hardly any connectivity between each movie, they're all stand alone and don't build on each other. And there doesn't seem to be any set-up to a big event or team up, or even hints of a Big Bad. They had plenty of time to drop in tiny references to Dr. Doom or Galactus.

perfectly happy with this myself. Trying to top Endgame is a bit of a fool’s errand imho and there’s a zillion stories they can tell without going full Thanos.

dsa_shea 07-08-22 07:26 AM

We haven't seen the last of
Spoiler:
Kang the Conqueror

and I expect he will play a part in at least a few movies going forward. I'm looking forward to that. Doom and Galactus will get their chance.

rennervision 07-08-22 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by csant (Post 14129297)

I assume Gorr was dying when he first acquired the sword and it kept him alive. So when the sword was destroyed, mortality set in. (Kind of a parallel to Jane.)

SmackDaddy 07-08-22 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 14129290)

Not a problem for me. I hope they ditch the "Endgame" from here on out. Let each hero breath without the constraint of having to get to point B with everyone else.

ViewAskewbian 07-08-22 12:46 PM

The way I see it, Phase 4 is the denouement to Phases 1-3.
Small hints may have been dropped to where they are going but it has been a lot of fall out, mourning, trying to move forward and introductions of new characters. I'm fine with that, too.
Feige recently said the Phase 5 direction will show where the overarching journey is going better.

Personally, I think we're heading to Secret Wars.