Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-24, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 486 Likes on 348 Posts
Re: Movie Theaters

Once the Country Club Plaza sale is completed my dream would be if the Alamo Drafthouse took over the theater there that use to be run by Cinemark. Seems doubtful but one can only dream it would happen.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 03-31-24 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-01-24, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,332 Likes on 908 Posts

As I have lamented frequently on here, AMC is our ONLY option in Springfield. I used to drive 30 minutes to Lincoln for an independent, or an hour to Bloomington for a Marcus Imax screen just to avoid going to AMC. A-List broke me though.

20 minutes after listed showtime is the norm here. I saw 25 once and Oppenheimer was more like 15 (which means I missed the first 5 minutes).

The independent theaters I used to work for were the best. We strived for 10-15 minutes of trailers and intros, the owner wouldn't do commercials, and showtime was showtime. If it was a 7:00 showtime, pre-show started at 6:45 and the studio logos better be on the screen by 7:01.
Old 04-22-24, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 286 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Well, my local Regal theater is now officially closed as of today.
So things haven't been good for my closed Regal theater. Last month, it was broken into and vandalized with extensive damage on the inside including water damage from the sprinkler system going off. Then this weekend it was the victim of arsonists who lit fires from inside. Luckily, they've already arrested 2 suspects who bragged about setting the fire at a nearby McDonald's.

https://www.lakemchenryscanner.com/2...H9aOJWdW9aDXj2

I'm guessing it was the same pair that vandalized it last month. The back of the theater is literally across the street from the police station.

The same two guys were arrested last year for painting swastikas on the Walmart right near me:
https://www.lakemchenryscanner.com/2...yyHTqG6G9yziB7

I had heard that someone had bought the theater so was hoping that it might open again soon but probably not now.

Old 04-22-24, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

They look like a couple of upstanding unincorporated Lake Villa citizens
Old 04-24-24, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
One thing I learned early on is never to buy food at the movie theater- as a kid my parents would never buy anything no matter how much I begged. I soon realized how overpriced it was and thought you had to be a real idiot to pay those prices, even working at a theater where most of my paycheck came from that I still felt people should just stay away from the snack bar until prices got more reasonable. They usually did thousands in business though so no reason to lower the prices as long as people are paying them. Come to think of it, I remember that I had never seen dumber people in my life until I started working at a theater also.

That said, if snack bar revenue is really that important they should come up with something new and special that you can't get anywhere else- that might actually sucker me in. Overcharging for the same crap I can get for a fraction elsewhere doesn't cut it though, I usually go to a real food place before or after the movie.
Not only cheaper, but you get better, healthier food outside. My friends and I always used to stop at the deli to get sandwiches, juice and little boxes of cookies and sneak them in in various ways for the double and triple features we'd attend. The only thing I ever remember buying at the theater's concession stand was Twizzlers because in the old days they were chewy enough to last a long time through the whole movie. Then they changed them to make them softer and easier to dissolve in the mouth and they lost their appeal to me.
Old 07-09-24, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Regal secured funding to upgrade it's theaters

I have two Regals in my area. One of them has recliner seats, but some of them have gotten old and torn and they were never fixed.

Another Regal is still stuck in the old fashioned fold down seats, even for premium shows.
Old 07-09-24, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Regal secured funding to upgrade it's theaters
I'm hoping the Regal that's down the street from where I live gets an upgrade.

Compared to the Regal Theaters that are within a 50-minute radius, it's a bit stuck in time.