Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Power of the Dog (2021, Campion) [Netflix] -- SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Power of the Dog (2021, Campion) [Netflix] -- SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-22, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,104 Likes on 800 Posts
Re: The Power of the Dog (2021, Campion) [Netflix] -- SPOILERS

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Not just a homophobe but misogynistic. "I'm a big fan of her movies, but what does that woman know about being a cowboy, and she didn't even shoot the film in Montana." Tons of shade thrown Campion's way.
Jane Campion. She’s a brilliant director, by the way. I love her previous work.
...hmmm

what does that woman know about being a cowboy,
I did n't listen to the interview, but he didn't say that in the quoted material in the thread.

Last edited by Count Dooku; 03-01-22 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-01-22, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
...hmmm

I did n't listen to the interview, but he didn't say that in the quoted material in the thread.
I was paraphrasing from the quoted text. Here's the actual text from his quote:

“Jane Campion. She’s a brilliant director, by the way. I love her previous work. But what the f—k does this woman from down there, New Zealand, know about the American West?,” Elliott added. “And why in the f—k does she shoot this movie in New Zealand and call it Montana and say, ‘This is the way it was?’ So that f—kin’ rubbed me the wrong way pal.”
Old 03-01-22, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was paraphrasing from the quoted text. Here's the actual text from his quote:
You paraphrased it as him saying what does a woman know about cowboys, but he said what does a woman from New Zealand know about the American West.

Your paraphrasing makes it about gender; his quote seems to be more about nationality, to me.
Old 03-01-22, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You paraphrased it as him saying what does a woman know about cowboys, but he said what does a woman from New Zealand know about the American West.

Your paraphrasing makes it about gender; his quote seems to be more about nationality, to me.

Same shit, different drink.
Old 03-01-22, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
And yet some of the greatest westerns of all time were made by Italians in Italy… but what do they know…
Spaghetti westerns are viewed academically as a commentary of the Western as a film genre, and not as any attempt to comment on the actual reality of life in the American West.

Elliot is saying that Dog is a complete distortion of what he believes is the reality of life for such families based on his experiences. He's saying that the hard work of civilizing the west was done by families, not by a bunch of repressed homosexuals, and that implication in Dog offends him.

He's an almost 80 year old white American man who's public identity is inextricably linked to the mythology of the western. Should not be shocking that he is not down with gay cowboy shit.
Old 03-01-22, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Same shit, different drink.
When you order a drink, do you want the bartender to give you the drink you ordered, or are you content to be served anything so long as it contains alcohol?
Old 03-01-22, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Not just a homophobe but misogynistic. "I'm a big fan of her movies, but what does that woman know about being a cowboy, and she didn't even shoot the film in Montana." Tons of shade thrown Campion's way.
And such a weird person to throw shade at. Who doesn’t like Jane Campion?

Hell she hasn’t been around in forever until this past year.

I think he’s pissed that it’s not a typical western, it’s very acclaimed and it has a woman, any woman, directing it.
Old 03-01-22, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When you order a drink, do you want the bartender to give you the drink you ordered, or are you content to be served anything so long as it contains alcohol?
Why are you defending this is a better question. Stop being obtuse and stop trying to deal in absolutes. It is what it is.
The following users liked this post:
whotony (03-01-22)
Old 03-01-22, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why are you defending this is a better question. Stop being obtuse and stop trying to deal in absolutes. It is what it is.
It is what it is. But what is it? Is it what you say it is? I don't think so.

I'm not being obtuse. I'm reading every word there. I'm trying to understand the context of Elliot's comments. For example, part of what he was complaining about was whatever was in the LA Times. What was in the LA Times that "triggered" him?

You are the one who posted (in my opinion) a clear mischaracterization of what he said. It is clear to me that his issue is not with Campion's gender, but that she is a person from the other side of the world who made a film that he thinks is telling harmful lies about America. I don't agree with him, and I don't want to defend him.

Trying to understand someone instead of posting knee-jerk attacks on them is not defending them.

I know we live in a time where if anyone says anything that violates the most current version of woke moral sensitivity, we are all supposed to just point at them and scream like it's Body Snatchers, but that's one of the things that's destroying this society.

And actually, dismissing Elliot's comments as misogyny or homophobia, just shuts down what could be an interesting avenue for discussion about the film and the Western and role Westerns play in American myth-making.

If Dog is the work of art it aspires to be (and that Hollywood has decided it is) then people should welcome a debate about its merits.
Old 03-01-22, 09:57 PM

Received 4,628 Likes on 3,134 Posts

Old 03-01-22, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It is what it is. But what is it? Is it what you say it is? I don't think so.

I'm not being obtuse. I'm reading every word there. I'm trying to understand the context of Elliot's comments. For example, part of what he was complaining about was whatever was in the LA Times. What was in the LA Times that "triggered" him?

You are the one who posted (in my opinion) a clear mischaracterization of what he said. It is clear to me that his issue is not with Campion's gender, but that she is a person from the other side of the world who made a film that he thinks is telling harmful lies about America. I don't agree with him, and I don't want to defend him.

Trying to understand someone instead of posting knee-jerk attacks on them is not defending them.

I know we live in a time where if anyone says anything that violates the most current version of woke moral sensitivity, we are all supposed to just point at them and scream like it's Body Snatchers, but that's one of the things that's destroying this society.

And actually, dismissing Elliot's comments as misogyny or homophobia, just shuts down what could be an interesting avenue for discussion about the film and the Western and role Westerns play in American myth-making.

If Dog is the work of art it aspires to be (and that Hollywood has decided it is) then people should welcome a debate about its merits.

Then you're just being pedantic about it. What discussion do you think there should be? Elliot is full of shit and should not have had this whole knee-jerk reaction to POTD getting accolades. What is shocking is that it was Sam Elliot saying this. He's been the coolest most laid back actor, in all sorts of genres, since forever. He's universally loved by men and women. A man's man and even the young women love him. It's quite shocking when he lays in both barrels on POTD. Who fucking shit in his cereal? It's not like 1883 is competing against POTD, but even if it was, why be an asshole? Also, regardless of what he says, POTD is a western and a goddamn great film.
Old 03-01-22, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Well I haven't gotten around to watching this yet, and I have to say I'm not any more inclined to do so now. I will point out that Jeff Sneider (of Collider fame) - a very liberal guy, also hated this film.
Old 03-01-22, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Then you're just being pedantic about it. What discussion do you think there should be? Elliot is full of shit and should not have had this whole knee-jerk reaction to POTD getting accolades. What is shocking is that it was Sam Elliot saying this. He's been the coolest most laid back actor, in all sorts of genres, since forever. He's universally loved by men and women. A man's man and even the young women love him. It's quite shocking when he lays in both barrels on POTD. Who fucking shit in his cereal? It's not like 1883 is competing against POTD, but even if it was, why be an asshole? Also, regardless of what he says, POTD is a western and a goddamn great film.
It's not what discussion I think there should be; it's what discussion it is possible to have.

The post above yours contains the statement that the point of POTD is that "the mythos around the old American west erases gay people."

What is the mythos around the old west that the Oscar Expert talking about? What is the myth of the old west that Elliot holds so dear? Are they the same things? How does POTD "eviscerate" it?

One POV is that POTD is making an important point about the erasure of gay people. Well, that's a matter of interpretation, isn't it? Something to think about. Something to talk about. Isn't that what Big Important Films are supposed to do, generate thoughtful discussion?

Sam Elliot thinks POTD is making a different point. Is there any validity to his POV? Simple enough to completely dismiss his POV because you think he is "full of shit." Don't you think other people share his POV? Are they all full of shit?

Is that how art works? Something is declared a great work of art by a bunch of elites. It's lauded as having something important to say. And if you don't agree, you can go fuck yourself. Does that really move us forward as a culture or as a society?

I was always taught that the point of capital A Art was to increase people's understanding, open people up to new ideas, and foster debate about those ideas.

Old 03-02-22, 12:20 AM

You are seriously wasting your time getting in a back and forth with this man. I’m fairly sure you know that, though.

The following 2 users liked this post by Throwing Copper:
clckworang (03-03-22), Why So Blu? (03-02-22)
Old 03-02-22, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 399 Likes on 322 Posts

Also, regardless of what he says, POTD is a western and a goddamn great film.
But it still allowed to dislike the movie and to talk about it in a talk show.
Old 03-02-22, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't deny that POTD is a western... but it's still a shit film and the worst I actually watched in the last year, lmao.
Old 03-02-22, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 399 Likes on 322 Posts

For me The Power of the Dog is Jane Campion's least boring movie.
Old 03-02-22, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 703 Likes on 433 Posts

I'd be outraged if I could remember the last time I gave a flaming turd about Sam Elliott's film analyses
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (03-02-22)
Old 03-12-22, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,684 Likes on 2,650 Posts

Old 03-12-22, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,231 Likes on 2,085 Posts

^ I mean, she’s right.
Old 03-13-22, 01:43 AM

Good for Jane.

I mean people can have differing opinions on a film, but damn near everyone who doesn’t care for POTD at least admits the acting was good and it was beautifully shot.

When Sam called it a piece of shit or whatever, he really looked like a fool.
The following 2 users liked this post by Throwing Copper:
inri222 (03-13-22), Why So Blu? (03-13-22)
Old 03-15-22, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Rewatched this a second time. I think it's a great movie but having a hard time with the animal abuse. I read some scenes are fake but others are not
Old 03-15-22, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So if Sam Elliot criticizes her for being a female director, which I don't think he was doing anyway, he's a sexist. But if she accepts an award and makes it all about how she's a female director competing against men, she gets applause.
Plus, how sexist is what she said about the Williams sisters not playing against men?
Old 03-15-22, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by hippie68
Rewatched this a second time. I think it's a great movie but having a hard time with the animal abuse. I read some scenes are fake but others are not
Link
Old 03-15-22, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

no link. Please post again so I don't feel guilty enjoying this film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.