Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Power of the Dog (2021, Campion) [Netflix] -- SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-19, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,266 Likes on 844 Posts

A long ways away but sounds interesting. Based on the novel.

Netflix buys 'Power of the Dog' Western starring Moss, Cumberbatch

‘The Power of the Dog’ will be directed by Jane Campion.

Netflix has bought global rights to The Power of the Dog, a feature film directed by Jane Campion (The Piano, The Portrait of a Lady) and starring Elisabeth Moss and Benedict Cumberbatch. The streaming giant plans to release the film in 2021, both on the platform and in theatres, making it eligible for Oscars consideration.

Based on the 1967 novel by Thomas Savage, The Power of the Dog is the story of two wealthy brothers who own the biggest ranch in Montana. The siblings are polar opposites; Phil, portrayed by Cumberbatch, is brilliant but cruel and George is gentle and fastidious. When George unexpectedly marries a young widow (played by Moss), Phil starts a relentless campaign to destroy her.

The film is being produced by See-Saw Films and Big Shell Films/Max Films Production, in association with Brightstar and BBC Films. It's expected to go into pre-production at the end of the year. Campion, who adapted the book for the screen, said she couldn't get the story out of her head. "The Power of the Dog is a sublime novel that deserves a life on the big screen. I couldn't stop thinking about the story, it really haunted me. The themes of masculinity, nostalgia and betrayal are an intoxicating mix," said Campion to Variety.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/30/...t-cumberbatch/
Old 08-26-21, 10:58 AM

Received 4,620 Likes on 3,130 Posts
The Power of the Dog (2021, Campion) S: Cumberbatch, Dunst, Plemons, Smit-McPhee - Netflix

Severe, pale-eyed, handsome, Phil Burbank is brutally beguiling. All of Phil’s romance, power and fragility is trapped in the past and in the land: He can castrate a bull calf with two swift slashes of his knife; he swims naked in the river, smearing his body with mud. He is a cowboy as raw as his hides.

The year is 1925. The Burbank brothers are wealthy ranchers in Montana. At the Red Mill restaurant on their way to market, the brothers meet Rose, the widowed proprietress, and her impressionable son Peter. Phil behaves so cruelly he drives them both to tears, reveling in their hurt and rousing his fellow cowhands to laughter – all except his brother George, who comforts Rose then returns to marry her.

As Phil swings between fury and cunning, his taunting of Rose takes an eerie form – he hovers at the edges of her vision, whistling a tune she can no longer play. His mockery of her son is more overt, amplified by the cheering of Phil’s cowhand disciples. Then Phil appears to take the boy under his wing. Is this latest gesture a softening that leaves Phil exposed, or a plot twisting further into menace?

Starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Kirsten Dunst, Jesse Plemons, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Thomasin McKenzie, Frances Conroy, Keith Carradine, Peter Carroll, and Adam Beach
Old 09-13-21, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: The Power of the Dog (2021, Campion) S: Cumberbatch, Dunst, Plemons, Smit-McPhee - Netflix

This ranks right up there with the new PTA movie as my most anticipated of 2021.
The following users liked this post:
doblbj2k (12-04-21)
Old 09-13-21, 07:20 AM

Re: The Power of the Dog (2021, Campion) S: Cumberbatch, Dunst, Plemons, Smit-McPhee - Netflix

Reviews from TIFF and Venice have been very positive:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_power_of_the_dog
Old 11-04-21, 10:23 AM

Old 11-30-21, 01:38 PM

This will be up on Netflix tomorrow. RT score is still holding strong at 95%. This will be an awards contender in multiple categories.
OldBoy (11-30-21)
Old 12-04-21, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Terrific stuff. It’s Jane Campion so it’s not going to be a “feel good” movie but it’s really well made, Dunst and Cumberbatch outstanding and gorgeous New Zealand pretending to be Montana scenery. I do hope she gets another best director nod and maybe a win.
Old 12-04-21, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Terrific stuff. It’s Jane Campion so it’s not going to be a “feel good” movie but it’s really well made, Dunst and Cumberbatch outstanding and gorgeous New Zealand pretending to be Montana scenery. I do hope she gets another best director nod and maybe a win.
This will be a Best Picture and Best Director nominee for sure. And lead actor.
Old 12-04-21, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Just saw this one pop up in Netflix. In the queue for a watch maybe tonight or tomorrow.
Old 12-07-21, 08:07 AM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Well now I know what movie I want to see get the most Oscar nominations.

Wow wow wow.

Few clicks short of a masterpiece, but that's how this year has been going.
Old 12-07-21, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts

Didn't know that was Keith Carradine playing as the governor, he sure has aged.
JayTL (12-16-21)
Old 12-07-21, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Received 1,071 Likes on 623 Posts

The Blank Check Podcast will be doing a Jane Campion series in the new year, for those of you are major fans of hers.
Old 12-15-21, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 489 Likes on 323 Posts

I suspect my admiration for this movie will continue to grow as time passes, but as far as right now, I found it riveting "entertainment", if that's the correct word, considering how much of the movie made me feel anxious, or nervous, or angry. Most movies are just okay, so I really appreciate the experience of having strong emotional reactions. With a different music score, and a more gothic visual style, I think this exact same story would unquestioningly be labeled a horror film.

Reading comments elsewhere, viewers seem to be divided on whether or not Power Of The Dog is a boring slog. I didn't, and look forward to watching again, because I'm uncertain of
Spoiler:
Was Phil genuinely mentoring the boy, or was he in the midst of a cruel long-con, and just got beaten to the punch?

Sorry I couldn't have seen this in a theatre.
The following 3 users liked this post by Crocker Jarmen:
Bandoman (01-25-22), JayTL (12-16-21), story (01-14-22)
Old 01-07-22, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I watched this last night because it's up there on Oscar lists. Man, it it slow and at times seemingly pointless.

Spoiler:
With 5 minutes left in the movie I said there was no possible way it could redeem itself.

And then...
Spoiler:
God damn it...

[email protected] (01-07-22)
Old 01-07-22, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 702 Likes on 432 Posts

Best film of the year for me. Easily. This is masterful filmmaking. The movie you think you're watching is NOT the movie you're watching, and as it ends -- seemingly abruptly -- you're left gobsmacked. You've been played as well. Magnificent.

The first lines you hear in this movie (over the opening credits) basically explain the entire film. The Power of the Dog demands your attention. There are victims and villains of sorts and they may not be who you think they are.
inri222 (03-13-22)
Old 01-09-22, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,030 Likes on 633 Posts

I watched this last night and was wowed by the performances, direction, and cinematography.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Best film of the year for me. Easily. This is masterful filmmaking. The movie you think you're watching is NOT the movie you're watching, and as it ends -- seemingly abruptly -- you're left gobsmacked. You've been played as well. Magnificent.

The first lines you hear in this movie (over the opening credits) basically explain the entire film. The Power of the Dog demands your attention. There are victims and villains of sorts and they may not be who you think they are.
Yes, after that ending I thought back and realized that it was foreshadowed all along. I plan on watching it again soon. At first it appears that Phil
Spoiler:
is the predator, but it turns out he is the prey all along.
Old 01-09-22, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 489 Likes on 323 Posts

I feel like a stripped down version of this would have made an excellent episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. It reminded me a lot of the kind of adult stories Roald Dahl used to write.
Old 01-17-22, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,227 Likes on 2,083 Posts

This was a fantastic movie. Definitely in my Top 5 from 2021.

I thought The Piano was pretentious drivel so I was a little hesitant going in to this but Campion did a masterful job of creating this story. There were a few times throughout the movie where I thought I had missed a scene or important dialogue but realized it was just Campion trusting the audience to piece together the events of the world she created. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen a movie where the director didn’t treat the viewer like an idiot.

4.5/5 stars
Old 01-18-22, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 732 Likes on 597 Posts

Spoiler:
I did not know if Phil was going to fuck or kill Peter Rose's son.

In the ending did
Spoiler:
Peter kill Phil and how did he do it?

Old 01-18-22, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

In the ending did
Spoiler:
Peter kill Phil and how did he do it?

Spoiler:
Peter allowed Phil to use rawhide Peter took from the dead cow he came across, which presumably died of anthrax, to finish the rope he was making.
JoeySeven (03-16-22)
Old 01-21-22, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Spoiler:
Peter allowed Phil to use rawhide Peter took from the dead cow he came across, which presumably died of anthrax, to finish the rope he was making.

My issue is several things had to happen for that opportunity to arise.
Spoiler:
If Phil had continued being aggressive towards both Rose and Peter, the boy wouldn't have had a chance to get near him. It's only because Phil reached out to Peter (despite the hidden pond incident) that he could even begin thinking about doing anything to Phil.

It was Phil who offered to make a rope for Peter; this plays into the Peter's scheme but it seems out of character considering Phil had been so hostile to the mother and son until that point.

Then there's the bit with Rose giving away the hides; I can understand her doing it to get back at Phil but she did it at exactly the right time, that is, before Phil was finished making the rope, which gave Peter the chance to expose Phil to the diseased rawhide.

I can see how it all fits together, but it just seems that a lot of things happened in certain ways at specific times to allow Peter to pull off the murder. The culmination of these events just feels contrived rather than natural so I'm not as high on this movie as a lot of critics seem to be.

GoldenJCJ (01-22-22)
Old 01-22-22, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I suspect my admiration for this movie will continue to grow as time passes, but as far as right now, I found it riveting "entertainment", if that's the correct word, considering how much of the movie made me feel anxious, or nervous, or angry. Most movies are just okay, so I really appreciate the experience of having strong emotional reactions. With a different music score, and a more gothic visual style, I think this exact same story would unquestioningly be labeled a horror film.

Reading comments elsewhere, viewers seem to be divided on whether or not Power Of The Dog is a boring slog. I didn't, and look forward to watching again, because I'm uncertain of
Spoiler:
Was Phil genuinely mentoring the boy, or was he in the midst of a cruel long-con, and just got beaten to the punch?
I just watched this last night. I completely get what you're describing about the tone. The whole movie just has this air of menacing tension, despite being a slow-paced drama. Thankfully I wasn't spoiled about the movie, although I guessed generally how it would end early on:
Spoiler:
when the housekeeper walks in on Peter dissecting the rabbit I told myself "This is going to end with Peter killing Phil, isn't it?". Especially when most reviews highlight the fact that this movie has a "shocking" ending. Even though there are many differences, this reminded me a bit of The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea. How the movie superficially is a picturesque character-study drama (with that one being more of a romance), but culminates with a son murdering a man who he feels threatens his mother.

Regarding your question, I think:
Spoiler:
that Phil was genuine in reaching out to Peter. It did seem to come out of left field and I was suspicious about Phil's motives until late in the movie. But aside from it being sudden and surprising, I didn't see any sign that it was some kind of cruel con. Phil seemed too straight-forward in his cruelty to bother doing something so time consuming. And in his mind, he's in the right. When defending how he treated Peter early in the dining room, he saw it as doing something that was good for the boy in the long run. Also, we kept hearing about Phil's own "cowboy" mentor who Phil met when he was Peter's age. I think Phil saw himself as playing the same role to Peter, trying to "straighten" him out. And he seemed so touched when Peter gave him the hide at the end. And despite Phil being such an asshole, made it seem sad to me that the act was a massive betrayal by Peter that Phil never knew about.
The following 2 users liked this post by brainee:
Crocker Jarmen (01-22-22), L Everett Scott (01-22-22)
Old 01-22-22, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
My issue is several things had to happen for that opportunity to arise.
Spoiler:
If Phil had continued being aggressive towards both Rose and Peter, the boy wouldn't have had a chance to get near him. It's only because Phil reached out to Peter (despite the hidden pond incident) that he could even begin thinking about doing anything to Phil.

It was Phil who offered to make a rope for Peter; this plays into the Peter's scheme but it seems out of character considering Phil had been so hostile to the mother and son until that point.

Then there's the bit with Rose giving away the hides; I can understand her doing it to get back at Phil but she did it at exactly the right time, that is, before Phil was finished making the rope, which gave Peter the chance to expose Phil to the diseased rawhide.

I can see how it all fits together, but it just seems that a lot of things happened in certain ways at specific times to allow Peter to pull off the murder. The culmination of these events just feels contrived rather than natural so I'm not as high on this movie as a lot of critics seem to be.

Sure, I’ll buy that. But I think it’s entirely possible that Peter was going to use the diseased rawhide on Phil at a different time and in a different way, regardless of what Phil did. I think Peter may have a just seen an opportunity to use the rawhide right then and took it. There’s even a quick shit of Peter looking at his rawhide where it almost looks like he’s making a quick decision to use it at that time. Almost like he thought, “I was saving this but I can use it now.”

Originally Posted by brainee
Regarding your question, I think:
Spoiler:
that Phil was genuine in reaching out to Peter. It did seem to come out of left field and I was suspicious about Phil's motives until late in the movie. But aside from it being sudden and surprising, I didn't see any sign that it was some kind of cruel con. Phil seemed too straight-forward in his cruelty to bother doing something so time consuming. And in his mind, he's in the right. When defending how he treated Peter early in the dining room, he saw it as doing something that was good for the boy in the long run. Also, we kept hearing about Phil's own "cowboy" mentor who Phil met when he was Peter's age. I think Phil saw himself as playing the same role to Peter, trying to "straighten" him out. And he seemed so touched when Peter gave him the hide at the end. And despite Phil being such an asshole, made it seem sad to me that the act was a massive betrayal by Peter that Phil never knew about.

I agree that I think Phil was genuine in his mentoring of Peter. There were a lot of homosexual undertones throughout the movie. Phil was closeted and realized that Peter was gay as well. I think he was felt a connection with Peter because of that and was choosing to tru to be a role model for Peter like he had when he was a young man. I may be way off base but I felt that was at least the catalyst to start Phil on the track of working toward a positive relationship with Peter.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
Bandoman (01-25-22), L Everett Scott (01-22-22)
Old 01-22-22, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 702 Likes on 432 Posts

When
Spoiler:
Phil was afflicted with Anthrax yet still managed to finish Peter's rope, and weakly demanded to know where Peter was so that he could present it to him before heading over to the doctor...
Jesus that broke my heart. He was victimized all over again.
Old 01-22-22, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Spoiler:

most reviews highlight the fact that this movie has a "shocking" ending.
That was the tip-off for me that the story was going where it was. It was fairly late in the film, but I wound up guessing the ending thanks to remarks like that.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Spoiler:

I agree that I think Phil was genuine in his mentoring of Peter. There were a lot of homosexual undertones throughout the movie. Phil was closeted and realized that Peter was gay as well. I think he was felt a connection with Peter because of that and was choosing to tru to be a role model for Peter like he had when he was a young man. I may be way off base but I felt that was at least the catalyst to start Phil on the track of working toward a positive relationship with Peter.
But as brinee pointed out, Phil shifting gears like that was 'sudden and surprising'. We went from
Spoiler:
Phil angrily chasing off Peter to him offering a hand in friendship in front of a bunch of cow hands. The turn feels abrupt (and frankly, unearned) because Campion didn't put anything in between those two beats, something to hint at his changing his mind about Peter.

I think Campion gets away with a lot of stuff like this because of the good will she's built up over the years. If someone else had been at the helm, we might be talking about how it's inconsistent characterization.
GoldenJCJ (01-23-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.