Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Suicide Squad?
5 stars
2.63%
4 3/4 stars
2.63%
4 1/2 stars
18.42%
4 1/4 stars
6.58%
4 stars
28.95%
3 3/4 stars
10.53%
3 1/2 stars
11.84%
3 1/4 stars
1.32%
3 stars
6.58%
2 3/4 stars
0%
2 1/2 stars
9.21%
2 1/4 stars
0%
2 stars
1.32%
1 3/4 stars
0%
1 1/2 stars
0%
1 1/4 stars
0%
1 star
0%
0 stars
0%
The first one was enough. Don't trust this re-boot
0%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-21, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I already see the fucking toxic Snyder fans celebrating the shortcomings at the box office of this film. Man, they need to get a life and move on.
I didn’t even realize Snyder was involved in this. I saw his wife’s name in the opening credits but must have missed Zack’s.

Is Snyder involved in every DC movie? Is this his master plan we’re seeing unfold?
Old 08-08-21, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I didn’t even realize Snyder was involved in this. I saw his wife’s name in the opening credits but must have missed Zack’s.

Is Snyder involved in every DC movie? Is this his master plan we’re seeing unfold?
I believe he’s credited as an EP because his production company is involved. But he has no direct involvement with this movie.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (08-08-21)
Old 08-08-21, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

10 Reasons Why ‘The Suicide Squad’ Is A Box Office Disaster

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=3f26c82b75e2
I think another factor is the on-going problem DC has had since starting the DCEU. It’s yet another entry in this disjointed universe.

The Suicide Squad in particular kind of exemplifies that more than other DCEU films. It hardly knows what it is. It’s not really a sequel, but it also isn’t a full-on reboot because there are carryover characters from Suicide Squad. Also not to mention the fact that the films are titled very similarly, only difference is that this one added the word The.

DC films just continue to be messy. Not saying that some of them aren’t be enjoyable in their own right, but there’s not enough of a cohesive glue tying things together.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-08-21 at 10:10 PM.
Why So Blu? (08-08-21)
Old 08-08-21, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think another factor is the on-going problem DC has had since starting the DCEU. It’s yet another entry in this disjointed universe.

The Suicide Squad in particular kind of exemplifies that more than other DCEU films. It hardly knows what it is. It’s not really a sequel, but it also isn’t a full-on reboot because there are carryover characters from Suicide Squad. Also not to mention the fact that the films are titled very similarly, only difference is that this one added the word The.

DC films just continue to be messy. Not saying that some of them aren’t be enjoyable in their own right, but there’s not enough of a cohesive glue tying things together.

Yep, that's one of the reasons mentioned in the article. Gunn should have just gone with the Part 2. Audiences tend to be pretty obtuse in "getting it." The less thinking, the better.
Old 08-08-21, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Was it not just a continuation? Sure they killed off some characters from the first. Does it lack continuity? I didn’t like the first so I can’t really remember.
Old 08-09-21, 08:08 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

^^^ That’s the problem with this movie and the DCU as a whole. It doesn’t know what it wants to be. It lacks an identity.
Old 08-09-21, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be considered a continuation/sequel - the main problem people seem to have with calling it that is not having Smith back.

Unless we're talking canon with the 4 hour JL Snyder cut where Quinn is reportedly dead.
Old 08-09-21, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I saw it last night and I loved it! It's a fun summertime movie. I do agree with others, I felt like it ran a little long.
Old 08-09-21, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be considered a continuation/sequel - the main problem people seem to have with calling it that is not having Smith back.

Unless we're talking canon with the 4 hour JL Snyder cut where Quinn is reportedly dead.
But her death was at some point between the current DCEU and that dystopian future. There’s not reason lots of stuff couldn’t happen between those points.
Old 08-09-21, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Good point. So yeah, I say this is a sequel.
Old 08-09-21, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The interaction between Harley and Capt Boomerang indicates it is a sequel (although the movie of course isn't titled as such). They recognize each other, he asks what she did to get back into prison, etc. But I believe that is the only dialogue that even acknowledges the events of that film in any capacity. You could also say that the Flagg/Quinn relationship is also an acknowledgement of the first film - although I don't believe there's any dialogue to that effect.

As to the movie itself - I certainly liked it better than the first film - but didn't love it. As many have mentioned, it really slowed down in the middle - really could have done without the entire harley love interest scenes. Just have her get captured and do the same breakout scene, but drop all the other stuff.
Old 08-09-21, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If it’s supposed to be a sequel it seems like it is in the loosest ways possible. The vibe I got from the announcement and production felt more like it was supposed to be a soft reboot. It’s an oddity kind of as it feels like it could really be either or.

I feel like if this film wanted to be a sequel it could have carried over more characters. Most of the Squad from the first film survived, but yet only Harley is on the new team (and Flag I suppose). The only other team member shown is Captain Boomerang, and he dies pretty much right away.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-09-21 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-09-21, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I feel like if this film wanted to be a sequel it could have carried over more characters. Most of the Squad from the first film survived, but yet only Harley is on the new team (and Flag I suppose). The only other team member shown is Captain Boomerang, and he dies pretty much right away.
Again, this is the concept of the Suicide Squad on the comic book. They aren't a team like the Justice League or Teen Titans with an established membership. They are a fluid team of villains assembled by Amanda Waller in which the roster is set depending on the necessity of the mission. Not even Rick Flagg is a constant throughout their missions in the comic books. Waller expects everyone to die, but if they survive, the go back to prison and their sentence is adjusted. So a character like Katana, who was in the first mission, is probably now out of prison and there's no reason for her to be involved in another mission for the Squad.
The following 3 users liked this post by Red Hood:
Giantrobo (08-09-21), GoldenJCJ (08-09-21), Jay G. (08-09-21)
Old 08-09-21, 10:17 AM
Banned

I'm seeing that one of the main problems with the people that don't read the comic books/source material for the Suicide Squad is basically understanding the concept of why the team exist. I feel that both films didn't explain that explicitly and has cause more confusion. The team actually isn't called the Suicide Squad per se. That's the nickname it has. The team's name is project Task Force X.
Giantrobo (08-09-21)
Old 08-09-21, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

If it’s supposed to be a sequel it seems like it is in the loosest ways possible. The vibe I got from the announcement and production felt more like it was supposed to be a soft reboot. It’s an oddity kind of as it feels like it could really be either or.

The character arc/skillset/actions of Bloodsport are so similar to Deadshot, it's like it's the same character. So if they had recast smith with Elba, then yes, definite reboot. But I think that swerve to a new character of Bloodsport was the decision point of making it a loose sequel. Not sure whose decision that ultimately was, but I see it as a sequel.
Old 08-09-21, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Again, this is the concept of the Suicide Squad on the comic book. They aren't a team like the Justice League or Teen Titans with an established membership. They are a fluid team of villains assembled by Amanda Waller in which the roster is set depending on the necessity of the mission. Not even Rick Flagg is a constant throughout their missions in the comic books. Waller expects everyone to die, but if they survive, the go back to prison and their sentence is adjusted. So a character like Katana, who was in the first mission, is probably now out of prison and there's no reason for her to be involved in another mission for the Squad.
I realize that, but I think when it’s unclear as to what exactly this film is supposed to be (continuation, reboot, or other) that the film didn’t exactly do itself any favors by intermixing some characters from the first film, but mostly a bunch of new characters. The thing is it would be one thing if it was a one off occurrence, but DC films are notorious for being disjointed.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-09-21 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-09-21, 11:39 AM
Banned

I realize that, but I think when it’s unclear as to what exactly this film is supposed to be (continuation, reboot, or other) that the film didn’t exactly do itself any favors by intermixing some characters from the first film, but mostly a bunch of new characters. The thing is it would be one thing if it was a one off occurrence, but DC films are notorious for being disjointed.
The reason for being disjointed is because that was the mandate by Hamada and the top at Warnermedia/AT&T/Discovery. They don't want anything to tie directly to another film. That's the reason why right now there's a Black Adam film that so far isn't tied to Shazam or Shazam 2, and there are other films on schedule like Pattison's Batman, Joker 2, Blue Beetle, Batgirl, Aquaman 2, Supergirl, Wonder Woman 3, Blackhawk and TV shows for Green Lantern Corps and Madame Xanadu. Supposedly, everything will be explained in Flash: Flashpoint, and the introduction of the DC multiverse (which was already done in the Arrowverse) but this shows the big problem at Warnermedia: They don't have a plan or a singular vision. In contrast, Marvel has a singular vision with Kevin Feige and those who don't agree, like the Whedons, Edgar Wright and Scott Derickson, are simply told to leave. The success of Marvel is similar to the success of the comic book counterparts: there's an interconnected superhero world and each film leads to the next adventure. While Marvel is now on it's 26th film, with 20 more planned, DC still has the same issues that have plagued them since 1995's Batman Forever. It was clear that Snyder's vision was completely flawed as he doesn't understand superheros at all and wants his slow motion style and dark tints to supersede what the stories and character should be, but as of now, DC still hasn't found that person to move these movies forward with a singular vision. Honestly, it's a hard job to do and a hard position to fill, but there are some people out there that could certainly do this and be successful, like Brad Bird, James Gunn, and maybe even Paul Dini.
spainlinx0 (08-10-21)
Old 08-09-21, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Samba measured some viewership.

Old 08-09-21, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Got me in the feels when the last thing Starro said was that he was happy in space just watching the stars.

Me too. Because you realize in many ways the US Gov and The Thinker were the real villains coming to that point then Boom...that line. For some weird reason that line also pissed me off because it felt kinda unfair to throw it in like that.
Old 08-09-21, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I'm seeing that one of the main problems with the people that don't read the comic books/source material for the Suicide Squad is basically understanding the concept of why the team exist. I feel that both films didn't explain that explicitly and has cause more confusion. The team actually isn't called the Suicide Squad per se. That's the nickname it has. The team's name is project Task Force X.

Yep and Flagg pointed that out in the film.
Old 08-09-21, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The reason for being disjointed is because that was the mandate by Hamada and the top at Warnermedia/AT&T/Discovery. They don't want anything to tie directly to another film. That's the reason why right now there's a Black Adam film that so far isn't tied to Shazam or Shazam 2, and there are other films on schedule like Pattison's Batman, Joker 2, Blue Beetle, Batgirl, Aquaman 2, Supergirl, Wonder Woman 3, Blackhawk and TV shows for Green Lantern Corps and Madame Xanadu. Supposedly, everything will be explained in Flash: Flashpoint, and the introduction of the DC multiverse (which was already done in the Arrowverse) but this shows the big problem at Warnermedia: They don't have a plan or a singular vision. In contrast, Marvel has a singular vision with Kevin Feige and those who don't agree, like the Whedons, Edgar Wright and Scott Derickson, are simply told to leave. The success of Marvel is similar to the success of the comic book counterparts: there's an interconnected superhero world and each film leads to the next adventure. While Marvel is now on it's 26th film, with 20 more planned, DC still has the same issues that have plagued them since 1995's Batman Forever. It was clear that Snyder's vision was completely flawed as he doesn't understand superheros at all and wants his slow motion style and dark tints to supersede what the stories and character should be, but as of now, DC still hasn't found that person to move these movies forward with a singular vision. Honestly, it's a hard job to do and a hard position to fill, but there are some people out there that could certainly do this and be successful, like Brad Bird, James Gunn, and maybe even Paul Dini.
I could accept if they didn’t have a grand plan for a DCEU, but it would be nice if at least some things fell into place together.

Like just tell us that The Suicide Squad is a sequel to Suicide Squad if that’s supposed to be the case.

Same with something like Black Adam. Why would that not be related to Shazam! when those characters are related?

It just feels like they have no common sense or any semblance of making coherent films. It’s frustrating.
Old 08-09-21, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 08-09-21, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

(a) it's a box office disappointment but (b) it had the highest opening weekend of any R-rated flick this year. So you can spin this however way you want.
Old 08-09-21, 05:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

(b) isn't saying a lot at all. There have been very few theatrical releases in general. Conjuring 3 made just under, and grossed $65 mil US/and almost $200 mil worldwide. I'm not sure Suicide Squad will hit those numbers. And both also premiered on HBO Max.
Old 08-09-21, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
(b) isn't saying a lot at all. There have been very few theatrical releases in general. Conjuring 3 made just under, and grossed $65 mil US/and almost $200 mil worldwide. I'm not sure Suicide Squad will hit those numbers. And both also premiered on HBO Max.
More cities are back under mask mandates since The Conjuring 3 came out. In fact, June was when most states were lifting mandates - so people really wanted to get out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.