Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Suicide Squad?
5 stars
2.63%
4 3/4 stars
2.63%
4 1/2 stars
18.42%
4 1/4 stars
6.58%
4 stars
28.95%
3 3/4 stars
10.53%
3 1/2 stars
11.84%
3 1/4 stars
1.32%
3 stars
6.58%
2 3/4 stars
0
0%
2 1/2 stars
9.21%
2 1/4 stars
0
0%
2 stars
1.32%
1 3/4 stars
0
0%
1 1/2 stars
0
0%
1 1/4 stars
0
0%
1 star
0
0%
0 stars
0
0%
The first one was enough. Don't trust this re-boot
0
0%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 08-08-21, 08:46 PM
  #126  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,711
Received 2,270 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I already see the fucking toxic Snyder fans celebrating the shortcomings at the box office of this film. Man, they need to get a life and move on.
I didnít even realize Snyder was involved in this. I saw his wifeís name in the opening credits but must have missed Zackís.

Is Snyder involved in every DC movie? Is this his master plan weíre seeing unfold?
Old 08-08-21, 08:47 PM
  #127  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 73,411
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I didnít even realize Snyder was involved in this. I saw his wifeís name in the opening credits but must have missed Zackís.

Is Snyder involved in every DC movie? Is this his master plan weíre seeing unfold?
I believe heís credited as an EP because his production company is involved. But he has no direct involvement with this movie.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (08-08-21)
Old 08-08-21, 09:59 PM
  #128  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 23,866
Received 904 Likes on 736 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post

10 Reasons Why ĎThe Suicide Squadí Is A Box Office Disaster






https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=3f26c82b75e2
I think another factor is the on-going problem DC has had since starting the DCEU. Itís yet another entry in this disjointed universe.

The Suicide Squad in particular kind of exemplifies that more than other DCEU films. It hardly knows what it is. Itís not really a sequel, but it also isnít a full-on reboot because there are carryover characters from Suicide Squad. Also not to mention the fact that the films are titled very similarly, only difference is that this one added the word The.

DC films just continue to be messy. Not saying that some of them arenít be enjoyable in their own right, but thereís not enough of a cohesive glue tying things together.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-08-21 at 10:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (08-08-21)
Old 08-08-21, 10:29 PM
  #129  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 36,482
Received 875 Likes on 671 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I think another factor is the on-going problem DC has had since starting the DCEU. Itís yet another entry in this disjointed universe.

The Suicide Squad in particular kind of exemplifies that more than other DCEU films. It hardly knows what it is. Itís not really a sequel, but it also isnít a full-on reboot because there are carryover characters from Suicide Squad. Also not to mention the fact that the films are titled very similarly, only difference is that this one added the word The.

DC films just continue to be messy. Not saying that some of them arenít be enjoyable in their own right, but thereís not enough of a cohesive glue tying things together.

Yep, that's one of the reasons mentioned in the article. Gunn should have just gone with the Part 2. Audiences tend to be pretty obtuse in "getting it." The less thinking, the better.
Old 08-08-21, 11:03 PM
  #130  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 24,732
Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Was it not just a continuation? Sure they killed off some characters from the first. Does it lack continuity? I didnít like the first so I canít really remember.
Old 08-09-21, 08:08 AM
  #131  
Banned by request
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Goodbye and Good Luck
Posts: 17,800
Received 777 Likes on 581 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

^^^ That’s the problem with this movie and the DCU as a whole. It doesn’t know what it wants to be. It lacks an identity.
Old 08-09-21, 08:09 AM
  #132  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,281
Received 797 Likes on 645 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be considered a continuation/sequel - the main problem people seem to have with calling it that is not having Smith back.

Unless we're talking canon with the 4 hour JL Snyder cut where Quinn is reportedly dead.
Old 08-09-21, 08:32 AM
  #133  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 7,172
Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

I saw it last night and I loved it! It's a fun summertime movie. I do agree with others, I felt like it ran a little long.
Old 08-09-21, 08:33 AM
  #134  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 18,157
Received 320 Likes on 230 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be considered a continuation/sequel - the main problem people seem to have with calling it that is not having Smith back.

Unless we're talking canon with the 4 hour JL Snyder cut where Quinn is reportedly dead.
But her death was at some point between the current DCEU and that dystopian future. Thereís not reason lots of stuff couldnít happen between those points.
Old 08-09-21, 08:34 AM
  #135  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,281
Received 797 Likes on 645 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Good point. So yeah, I say this is a sequel.
Old 08-09-21, 08:42 AM
  #136  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,867
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

The interaction between Harley and Capt Boomerang indicates it is a sequel (although the movie of course isn't titled as such). They recognize each other, he asks what she did to get back into prison, etc. But I believe that is the only dialogue that even acknowledges the events of that film in any capacity. You could also say that the Flagg/Quinn relationship is also an acknowledgement of the first film - although I don't believe there's any dialogue to that effect.


As to the movie itself - I certainly liked it better than the first film - but didn't love it. As many have mentioned, it really slowed down in the middle - really could have done without the entire harley love interest scenes. Just have her get captured and do the same breakout scene, but drop all the other stuff.
Old 08-09-21, 09:55 AM
  #137  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 23,866
Received 904 Likes on 736 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

If itís supposed to be a sequel it seems like it is in the loosest ways possible. The vibe I got from the announcement and production felt more like it was supposed to be a soft reboot. Itís an oddity kind of as it feels like it could really be either or.

I feel like if this film wanted to be a sequel it could have carried over more characters. Most of the Squad from the first film survived, but yet only Harley is on the new team (and Flag I suppose). The only other team member shown is Captain Boomerang, and he dies pretty much right away.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-09-21 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-09-21, 10:13 AM
  #138  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14,020
Received 1,002 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I feel like if this film wanted to be a sequel it could have carried over more characters. Most of the Squad from the first film survived, but yet only Harley is on the new team (and Flag I suppose). The only other team member shown is Captain Boomerang, and he dies pretty much right away.
Again, this is the concept of the Suicide Squad on the comic book. They aren't a team like the Justice League or Teen Titans with an established membership. They are a fluid team of villains assembled by Amanda Waller in which the roster is set depending on the necessity of the mission. Not even Rick Flagg is a constant throughout their missions in the comic books. Waller expects everyone to die, but if they survive, the go back to prison and their sentence is adjusted. So a character like Katana, who was in the first mission, is probably now out of prison and there's no reason for her to be involved in another mission for the Squad.
The following 3 users liked this post by Red Hood:
Giantrobo (08-09-21), GoldenJCJ (08-09-21), Jay G. (08-09-21)
Old 08-09-21, 10:17 AM
  #139  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14,020
Received 1,002 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

I'm seeing that one of the main problems with the people that don't read the comic books/source material for the Suicide Squad is basically understanding the concept of why the team exist. I feel that both films didn't explain that explicitly and has cause more confusion. The team actually isn't called the Suicide Squad per se. That's the nickname it has. The team's name is project Task Force X.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (08-09-21)
Old 08-09-21, 10:20 AM
  #140  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,867
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
If itís supposed to be a sequel it seems like it is in the loosest ways possible. The vibe I got from the announcement and production felt more like it was supposed to be a soft reboot. Itís an oddity kind of as it feels like it could really be either or.

I feel like if this film wanted to be a sequel it could have carried over more characters. Most of the Squad from the first film survived, but yet only Harley is on the new team (and Flag I suppose). The only other team member shown is Captain Boomerang, and he dies pretty much right away.
The character arc/skillset/actions of Bloodsport are so similar to Deadshot, it's like it's the same character. So if they had recast smith with Elba, then yes, definite reboot. But I think that swerve to a new character of Bloodsport was the decision point of making it a loose sequel. Not sure whose decision that ultimately was, but I see it as a sequel.
Old 08-09-21, 11:05 AM
  #141  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 23,866
Received 904 Likes on 736 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Again, this is the concept of the Suicide Squad on the comic book. They aren't a team like the Justice League or Teen Titans with an established membership. They are a fluid team of villains assembled by Amanda Waller in which the roster is set depending on the necessity of the mission. Not even Rick Flagg is a constant throughout their missions in the comic books. Waller expects everyone to die, but if they survive, the go back to prison and their sentence is adjusted. So a character like Katana, who was in the first mission, is probably now out of prison and there's no reason for her to be involved in another mission for the Squad.
I realize that, but I think when itís unclear as to what exactly this film is supposed to be (continuation, reboot, or other) that the film didnít exactly do itself any favors by intermixing some characters from the first film, but mostly a bunch of new characters. The thing is it would be one thing if it was a one off occurrence, but DC films are notorious for being disjointed.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-09-21 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-09-21, 11:39 AM
  #142  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14,020
Received 1,002 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I realize that, but I think when it’s unclear as to what exactly this film is supposed to be (continuation, reboot, or other) that the film didn’t exactly do itself any favors by intermixing some characters from the first film, but mostly a bunch of new characters. The thing is it would be one thing if it was a one off occurrence, but DC films are notorious for being disjointed.
The reason for being disjointed is because that was the mandate by Hamada and the top at Warnermedia/AT&T/Discovery. They don't want anything to tie directly to another film. That's the reason why right now there's a Black Adam film that so far isn't tied to Shazam or Shazam 2, and there are other films on schedule like Pattison's Batman, Joker 2, Blue Beetle, Batgirl, Aquaman 2, Supergirl, Wonder Woman 3, Blackhawk and TV shows for Green Lantern Corps and Madame Xanadu. Supposedly, everything will be explained in Flash: Flashpoint, and the introduction of the DC multiverse (which was already done in the Arrowverse) but this shows the big problem at Warnermedia: They don't have a plan or a singular vision. In contrast, Marvel has a singular vision with Kevin Feige and those who don't agree, like the Whedons, Edgar Wright and Scott Derickson, are simply told to leave. The success of Marvel is similar to the success of the comic book counterparts: there's an interconnected superhero world and each film leads to the next adventure. While Marvel is now on it's 26th film, with 20 more planned, DC still has the same issues that have plagued them since 1995's Batman Forever. It was clear that Snyder's vision was completely flawed as he doesn't understand superheros at all and wants his slow motion style and dark tints to supersede what the stories and character should be, but as of now, DC still hasn't found that person to move these movies forward with a singular vision. Honestly, it's a hard job to do and a hard position to fill, but there are some people out there that could certainly do this and be successful, like Brad Bird, James Gunn, and maybe even Paul Dini.
The following users liked this post:
spainlinx0 (08-10-21)
Old 08-09-21, 11:47 AM
  #143  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 73,411
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Samba measured some viewership.

Old 08-09-21, 01:36 PM
  #144  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 61,800
Received 1,153 Likes on 769 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Got me in the feels when the last thing Starro said was that he was happy in space just watching the stars.

Me too. Because you realize in many ways the US Gov and The Thinker were the real villains coming to that point then Boom...that line. For some weird reason that line also pissed me off because it felt kinda unfair to throw it in like that.
Old 08-09-21, 01:43 PM
  #145  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 61,800
Received 1,153 Likes on 769 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I'm seeing that one of the main problems with the people that don't read the comic books/source material for the Suicide Squad is basically understanding the concept of why the team exist. I feel that both films didn't explain that explicitly and has cause more confusion. The team actually isn't called the Suicide Squad per se. That's the nickname it has. The team's name is project Task Force X.

Yep and Flagg pointed that out in the film.
Old 08-09-21, 02:46 PM
  #146  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 23,866
Received 904 Likes on 736 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
The reason for being disjointed is because that was the mandate by Hamada and the top at Warnermedia/AT&T/Discovery. They don't want anything to tie directly to another film. That's the reason why right now there's a Black Adam film that so far isn't tied to Shazam or Shazam 2, and there are other films on schedule like Pattison's Batman, Joker 2, Blue Beetle, Batgirl, Aquaman 2, Supergirl, Wonder Woman 3, Blackhawk and TV shows for Green Lantern Corps and Madame Xanadu. Supposedly, everything will be explained in Flash: Flashpoint, and the introduction of the DC multiverse (which was already done in the Arrowverse) but this shows the big problem at Warnermedia: They don't have a plan or a singular vision. In contrast, Marvel has a singular vision with Kevin Feige and those who don't agree, like the Whedons, Edgar Wright and Scott Derickson, are simply told to leave. The success of Marvel is similar to the success of the comic book counterparts: there's an interconnected superhero world and each film leads to the next adventure. While Marvel is now on it's 26th film, with 20 more planned, DC still has the same issues that have plagued them since 1995's Batman Forever. It was clear that Snyder's vision was completely flawed as he doesn't understand superheros at all and wants his slow motion style and dark tints to supersede what the stories and character should be, but as of now, DC still hasn't found that person to move these movies forward with a singular vision. Honestly, it's a hard job to do and a hard position to fill, but there are some people out there that could certainly do this and be successful, like Brad Bird, James Gunn, and maybe even Paul Dini.
I could accept if they didnít have a grand plan for a DCEU, but it would be nice if at least some things fell into place together.

Like just tell us that The Suicide Squad is a sequel to Suicide Squad if thatís supposed to be the case.

Same with something like Black Adam. Why would that not be related to Shazam! when those characters are related?

It just feels like they have no common sense or any semblance of making coherent films. Itís frustrating.
Old 08-09-21, 03:38 PM
  #147  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 73,411
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Old 08-09-21, 04:54 PM
  #148  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 18,141
Received 243 Likes on 192 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

(a) it's a box office disappointment but (b) it had the highest opening weekend of any R-rated flick this year. So you can spin this however way you want.
Old 08-09-21, 05:28 PM
  #149  
Banned by request
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Goodbye and Good Luck
Posts: 17,800
Received 777 Likes on 581 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

(b) isn't saying a lot at all. There have been very few theatrical releases in general. Conjuring 3 made just under, and grossed $65 mil US/and almost $200 mil worldwide. I'm not sure Suicide Squad will hit those numbers. And both also premiered on HBO Max.
Old 08-09-21, 05:58 PM
  #150  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 18,141
Received 243 Likes on 192 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
(b) isn't saying a lot at all. There have been very few theatrical releases in general. Conjuring 3 made just under, and grossed $65 mil US/and almost $200 mil worldwide. I'm not sure Suicide Squad will hit those numbers. And both also premiered on HBO Max.
More cities are back under mask mandates since The Conjuring 3 came out. In fact, June was when most states were lifting mandates - so people really wanted to get out.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.