Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Suicide Squad?
5 stars
2.63%
4 3/4 stars
2.63%
4 1/2 stars
18.42%
4 1/4 stars
6.58%
4 stars
28.95%
3 3/4 stars
10.53%
3 1/2 stars
11.84%
3 1/4 stars
1.32%
3 stars
6.58%
2 3/4 stars
0%
2 1/2 stars
9.21%
2 1/4 stars
0%
2 stars
1.32%
1 3/4 stars
0%
1 1/2 stars
0%
1 1/4 stars
0%
1 star
0%
0 stars
0%
The first one was enough. Don't trust this re-boot
0%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 08-05-21, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

"Welcome to hell — a.k.a. Belle Reve, the prison with the highest mortality rate in the US of A. Where the worst Super-Villains are kept and where they will do anything to get out—even join the super-secret, super-shady Task Force X. Today’s do-or-die assignment? Assemble a collection of cons, including Bloodsport, Peacemaker, Captain Boomerang, Ratcatcher 2, Savant, King Shark, Blackguard, Javelin and everyone’s favorite psycho, Harley Quinn. Then arm them heavily and drop them (literally) on the remote, enemy-infused island of Corto Maltese."

Starring: Margot Robbie, Idris Elba, John Cena, Joel Kinnaman, Viola Davis, Michael Rooker, Nathan Fillion, Jai Courtney and company

Running Time: 132 minutes

Rotten Tomatoes Score:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_suicide_squad

94% as of 8/5/21

Budget: Estimated at $185M

Rated R for strong violence and gore, language throughout, some sexual references, drug use and brief graphic nudity

Will officially premiere in theaters tonight and also on HBO Max tonight You will have 31 days to watch this on HBO Max.

For those unaware, John Cena's The Peacemaker will be spun off as a TV series on HBO Max in 2022 that James Gunn is involved with. It's already been filmed.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-05-21 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-05-21, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-suicid...se-time-price/

Will premiere on HBO Max at 7pm ET/4pm PT

I am catching a 7:45pm Dolby showing tonight. So I won't be watching in 15 minutes.
Old 08-05-21, 07:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- S: Robbie, Elba, Cena, Davis -- The Spoiler Reviews Thre

Watching now and if I had to say in a few initial words…pure, mindless action movie with humor and heart. Pure movie joy. Gonna love it.
Old 08-05-21, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Goddamn that intro
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (08-05-21)
Old 08-05-21, 07:36 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

which star will sue for releasing it on digital?
Old 08-05-21, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Goddamn that intro
good but not as good as GotG2. I could watch that one over and over! And that Taika Waititi is in this too. It’s like a Marvel/DC crossover. You got Idris, Waititi, Gunn. Even Stallone and Rooker. Pretty funny.

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-05-21 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-05-21, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TGM
which star will sue for releasing it on digital?
HBO dealt with the talent beforehand. The way a company is supposed to.
JeremyM (08-20-21)
Old 08-05-21, 08:41 PM

Fucking brilliant. So much fun. Almost the complete opposite of first. Bloody as all fuck, fun as all hell. It had action galore, kills that were magnificently gruesome. Heart too. Surprisingly. Idris great of course. Robbie same ole character. Kinnaman played Flag a little more livelier, funnier, looser. Davis was same ole too, but the new characters were funny as hell. Cena is to Gunn’s TSS as Bautista is to his GotG, just more words for Cena. Stallone played King Shark with Rocky voice. So good and funny. Especially the character in general. This was just pure, mindless, over-the-top, gruesome fun. Most fun you’ll have in theaters or at home (no judging please) you’ll have all year. And that ending…

Also, kinda 2 post credits things.
Old 08-05-21, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,189 Likes on 915 Posts

Just finished it on HBO MAX. The 4K DV / Atmos was stellar.

I'm going to be in the minority but I hated the opening set-up. They did them dirty as fuck. It was way on the nose as if Gunn was saying, "I'm soooooooooo clever with misdirection." It irked me. With that being said, once the WB logos on the sand popped up, it was smooth sailing until the end. King Shark was so cool, as were the other squad members. I actually cared about the team and all. Starro was as stupid as I knew it was going to be, but I cared more about how the squad was going to resolve it than the main villain. It was very low-rent kaiju and even how he was dispatched. It reminded me of a scene from the anime Batman Ninja where an army of monkeys bring down one of the robots. Same shit here but it wasn't monkeys.

There's an end and after credit scene. Don't think I will be splurging for an IMAX ticket after all. HBO MAX saves the day!

EDIT - Snyder Cut of Justice League is still better than this.

EDIT #2 - Jai Bless

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 08-05-21 at 09:38 PM.
OldBoy (08-05-21)
Old 08-05-21, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts

Thought the first two acts were a let down from my high expectations but the third act is amazing and maybe the best boss battle ever on screen? Definitely best boss battle in a superhero film.
OldBoy (08-05-21)
Old 08-05-21, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

It's now my least favorite James Gunn movie. But it does have it's positive points. Looked great in UHD DV. I thought Idris Elba was fantastic. I really liked Ratcatcher 2. The soundtrack, as usual, was damn_good even though I wasn't familiar with most of the songs. I didn't feel the absolute joy I felt watching GotG. Saw that one again the next day (maybe in 3D). Maybe it's because I saw it at home instead of in the theater. Maybe the death of certain characters bummed me out. I think my expectations were too high on this one. 3.5 stars.

1. GotG
2. GotG2
3. Slither
4. Super
5. TSS
Old 08-05-21, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked the B movie old school heist feel of it all but agree the 2nd act is slower than it needed to be, but also fleshed out some rather unknown characters (for me at least). I enjoyed Quinn more in this than I did in Birds of Prey or the first Suicide Squad.

I hated the "grab a random harddrive" detail, that shit bugs me. but then again, it did have a humanoid shark prancing around saying "new friends!" (I'd love to have seen Stallones recording sessions) and then went full kaiju (which I fucking love)

It starts as The Dirty Dozen, it ends as Rick and Morty. I have hang ups on some pacing but I kinda loved this.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-05-21 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-05-21, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Ok, where do I get my King Shark toys? There better be a talking one, lol.
OldBoy (08-05-21)
Old 08-05-21, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Ok, where do I get my King Shark toys? There better be a talking one, lol.
The McFarlane figure sold out at WalMart.

The Funko Pop!s are still available.
Old 08-06-21, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk God

I just got back from seeing it. Saw it in Dolby. Theater was probably 70% full. I know most here prefer watching movies at home. But, I seriously thought being in an audience really added to this. I had a really good time.

Anyways, I loved it. Kicks the shit out of the 2016 version. James Gunn was the perfect person to re-do this material. It needed to be violent, bloody and have a little sense of humor, which this one did. Lots of laughs. The music was fantastic.

I think the core group was great. John Cena was both sadistic and hilarious as Peacemaker. And I loved Stallone voicing King Shark. Elba was also great as Bloodsport. The opening sequence with the high body count was a surprise. I was also surprised they killed off Flagg.

If I had to nit pick, I thought the Giant star fish attack sequence at the end dragged a little too long. I think the movie could have been tightened up by 10 minutes. At first I was wondering how the hell were they doing a Peacemaker TV series when he was shot in the throat and presumed dead. But, the 2nd post credit scene resolved that.

Overall, a solid re-do of the material., AMC theaters also gave out a Suicide Squad comic to all patrons who attended tonight. I got 2 copies.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-06-21 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-06-21, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 550 Likes on 402 Posts

Really fun movie. Doesn't quite hit the level of the two GOTG movies but almost. Fantastic casting and character choices.
Old 08-06-21, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk God

I when Waller was losing her shit and was about to have an aneurism when Bloodsport and company decided to break protocol and stop the star fish. I mean shit. That was probably most intense I've ever seen Viola Davis acting.
Old 08-06-21, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Sucked .
Old 08-06-21, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

I have avoided comic book movies for a number of years now but this one interested me after just recently seeing the cast that made up the movie. Never saw the previous Harley Quinn movies either. A fun, action packed movie.
Old 08-06-21, 08:00 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Well, it was better than the previous one. That said, when the bar is that low, Gunn easily went over it. That said, it was okay at best. Somewhere in the middle of the DCU nonsense. Glad it was on Max cause I couldn’t imagine going to a theater for this. And best seen on IMAX? Very few scenes screamed IMAX to me.
Old 08-06-21, 08:45 AM

Received 4,556 Likes on 3,091 Posts

Uncle Lloyd in da club!!
Toddarino (08-07-21)
Old 08-06-21, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

This was alot of fun. Felt like an R rated Guardians of the Galaxy
Old 08-06-21, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 550 Likes on 402 Posts

Ratcatcher 2 was my favorite. My wife and I have had quite a few rats as pets since we've been married but we haven't gotten any since getting a dog a few years ago since they need a lot of attention. My wife loved in the movie that rats were the ones who saved the day and were given a positive light in a movie for once.
Old 08-06-21, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my movie review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

THE SUICIDE SQUAD (R) James Gunn bring his unique vision of DC’s The Dirty Dozen to the big screen, but what is some folks’ entertainment can be excessively violent and profane for others. While it succeeds on many fronts, well, just read the review.

I never read any of the comics about this pack of DC’s ne'er-do-wells, but based on James Gunn’s vision, he apparently has and completely embraces the violent and profane potential of throwing several of DC’s earth-based deranged and dangerous individuals and metahumans together to carry out secret government missions at the behest of Amanda Waller (Viola Davis), who has also been portrayed in DC’s many TV and animated ventures. My main experience with Task Force X is primarily the 2016 David Ayer’s version of “Suicide Squad” which featured returning characters (for 2021) Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie), Colonel Rick Flag (Joel Kinnaman), and however briefly, Captain Boomerang (Jai Courtney).

While I found the first Suicide Squad relatively entertaining(and I continue to believe NO ONE portrays Harley Quinn, a character created for the 1990s Batman animated series, better than Robbie), it was definitely toned down to reach a PG-13 audience. The gratuitous inclusion to Jared Leto’s Joker added nothing to the proceedings. Based on his success with Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, Warner Brothers gave James Gunn full creative rein in “reinventing” The Suicide Squad as a full-blown R-rated version that, for me, pushes the limits of excessive violence and language in comic-book based films generally intended to reach the widest audience possible.

Despite the number of well-known names listed in the cast line-upand who unfortunately never make it past the opening credits, the plot of The Suicide Squad is pretty straight-forward and less complicated than the 2016 version. Two groups of Task Force X are assigned to different parts of a Caribbean island nation that recently experienced a coup, one to create a diversion, and the other to infiltrate a former post-WWII Nazi science facility that was converted to study an extraterrestrial lifeform discovered by a shuttle crew in the 1990s. Just picking up following the credits, Task Force members Bloodsport (Idris Elba), Peacemaker (John Cena), Ratcatcher 2 (Daniela Melchior), Polka-Dot Man (David Dastmalchian), and King Shark (Sylvester Stallone) team with Colonel Flag and some of the island’s freedom fighters to infiltrate the facility, run by its bizarre-looking head scientist Thinker (Peter Capaldi), which is hiding a secret of gigantic proportions. Eventually this group teams up with Harley, who is experiencing her own separate set of circumstances, which I found was heart-touching, humorous and eventually, very much Harley-related.

FINAL MISSION BRIEFING: After watching the trailers and and some behind the scenes documentaries on YouTube, I thought I was prepared for what James Gunn would be bringing to the screen and “adding” to his vision of the group of anti-hero miscreants. However, despite the generally humorous tone of The Suicide Squad, I was really taken aback by the level of language and gore throughout the film. I actually enjoyed some story arches and specific character portrayals, especially Harley, Polka Dot Man, Rat Catcher 2 and King Shark. Other prime characters were either extremely distasteful (intentionally so) or left me completely cold as the movie progressed, whether that was intentional or not.. I can honestly say it is successful in presenting James Gunn’s no-holds-barred view. But, like my review for Joker a few years ago, please do not interpret my lack of assigning a lightsaber score to The Suicide Squad as saying it’s a good or bad movie. It succeeds in what it does, it does it well, but the excess language and violence were extremely off-putting for me. While I enjoy certain amounts of “edgy” in my entertainment, there is a limit to what I actually consider entertaining. Thanks for understanding.

NOTES FOR PARENTS (Mild Spoilers): The Suicide Squad is rated R for constant coarse language, extreme graphic/over-the-top violence and gore, brief drug use, some sexual content and brief graphic nudity. Language - The “F” bomb is used throughout the movie, including an uncomfortable confrontation scene between an angry daughter and father. All the other familiar curse words are present through the movie, as well. Violence - Very bloody and gory violence throughout, including gunshots, throats cut, decapitations, dismemberments, limbs and heads flying, bodies splattering against windows, gory disintegrations and more. Drug use - In a sad flashback, we see a father injecting himself while his young daughter watches. Sexual Content - There are some very rude conversations between rivals Peacemaker and Bloodsport, some of which use crude sexual terms and gestures. A man’s genitals are seen briefly just before he is killed. In a gentlemen’s club, some women are topless, though nothing graphic is shown. Harley and another character get very passionate and although both are fully clothed, the flailing around they do ends up destroying pottery, paintings and sets a fire. It is implied they have sex, though nothing graphic is shown.

PRE- AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: In both the pre- and after-credit, two Squad members we thought had been killed during the film are shown as alive.

Let people know about ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES at https://www.orbiwanblogs.me/moviereviews .
Orbi-Wan Goes To The Moviesis protected under Creative Commons.

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 08-06-21 at 12:06 PM.
TomOpus (08-06-21)
Old 08-06-21, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

That was fun as hell. Completely different (and right tone) for a movie like this. King Shark was amazing. John Cena was hilarious. The dialogue was fun. Everyone knew that first team was a one a done quickly with who they cast. Still fun to watch, though.

King Shark with the fake moustache

So IIRC Gunn said the peacemaker show was a prequel. Seems like that was a slight misdirection. I mean they could still do pre-suicide squad stuff, but after the credits tease, seems like this will be more of a continuation of that story?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.