Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.94%
14.06%
39.06%
15.63%
6.25%
4.69%
4.69%
1.56%
1.56%
1.56%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-21, 02:41 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by tommyp007
I watched it over the weekend in one sitting. I liked it pretty well, and the 4:3 didn’t bother me like it thought it would. But just too damn much slo-mo. I know it’s his thing, but enough already.
How would we be able to see Flash, Wonder Woman, and Superman if they didn't slow it down? The fight scenes would be one big blur. Kind of reminds me of Six Million Dollar man though, I never understood why they slowed the footage down when trying to show him moving super fast.
Old 03-23-21, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Once again, louder this time: Cyborg did not steal money from the bank and give it to the woman.

Nor did he "create money" for her.

Watch the scene again: it shows that Cyborg rigged the "Gotham City Bank Prize Jackpot" so that the woman won the contest.

While that might not be exactly legal per se -- he basically did the equivalent of fixing a slot machine that was going to pay out anyway.
And I said it before, I highly doubt there is an actual Gotham City Bank Prize Jackpot, he made it up. Unless this is a thing with some banks in which case let me know which one so I can switch!

Even the visual representation of this is him just adding money to her account. You can imagine he made it up so that she wouldn't feel like this was in error and try to return the money.

As far as money being an abstract concept, I don't think a bank can just add money digitally without some form of checks and balances (though I don't know exactly how it works) so it's easier to imagine he pulled an Office Space or stole from the rich or something but otherwise made it untraceable somehow. Or the lady is about to go to jail. I dunno.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (03-23-21)
Old 03-23-21, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Once again, louder this time: Cyborg did not steal money from the bank and give it to the woman.

Watch the scene again: it shows that Cyborg rigged the "Gotham City Bank Prize Jackpot" so that the woman won the contest.

While that might not be exactly legal per se -- he basically did the equivalent of fixing a slot machine that was going to pay out anyway.
Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one. Logic is hard for some as you know...Apparently there needed to be a sign in the window saying Sign Up for Gotham City Bank Prize Jackpot!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by d2cheer:
Hokeyboy (03-23-21), whotony (03-26-21)
Old 03-23-21, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe I'm just too cynical. I can more easily suspend my disbelief for resurrected flying aliens in capes than a bank giving away 100,000 dollars in a lottery.
The following 3 users liked this post by fujishig:
clckworang (03-23-21), ddrknghtrtns (03-23-21), Toddarino (03-23-21)
Old 03-23-21, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
And I said it before, I highly doubt there is an actual Gotham City Bank Prize Jackpot, he made it up. Unless this is a thing with some banks in which case let me know which one so I can switch!

Even the visual representation of this is him just adding money to her account. You can imagine he made it up so that she wouldn't feel like this was in error and try to return the money.

As far as money being an abstract concept, I don't think a bank can just add money digitally without some form of checks and balances (though I don't know exactly how it works) so it's easier to imagine he pulled an Office Space or stole from the rich or something but otherwise made it untraceable somehow. Or the lady is about to go to jail. I dunno.
Yeah, there was no contest. If she had just checked her account and saw $100,000, she likely would have contacted the bank and told them there must be an error. By making it “contest winnings,” she would accept it as good fortune, rather than a mistake.
Old 03-23-21, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

This latest tangent is a great illustration of the problem with Snyder having unchecked creative control. Of course there actually being some Gotham Bank ‘hey, you win $100k’ contest is such a stupid idea that most of us immediately assume it had to be a cover created by Cyborg. But true believers remember details like the only reason Batman didn’t straight up murder Superman is that their mothers have the same name. Those fans know that a Gotham Bank sweepstakes barely even registers on the scale of how dumb of an idea Snyder can come up with, so why not take it at face value. For all we know, he storyboarded out a whole subplot where there were commercials for the sweepstakes, the lady going on morning talk shows to gush about winning it, her kids getting bullied at school because their mom was on tv and then some robber breaking her favorite necklace by pulling it taut against the slide of his handgun and firing it into her chest. Who’s to say in the Snyderverse?
IBJoel (03-23-21)
Old 03-23-21, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Are we really at this level of nick-picking? WTF
Dude, it's a DCEU thread. Nitpicking is what they do.
The following 3 users liked this post by Giantrobo:
Hokeyboy (03-23-21), TheMovieman (03-27-21), Why So Blu? (03-23-21)
Old 03-23-21, 03:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Another amusing aspect - 4 hours and we still don't have better direction on stuff like this.
Old 03-23-21, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I did appreciate immediately following the “Gotham City Bank Jackpot” shot that we see the people walking down the street recoil at the sight of Cyborg. Typically on movies like this, extras just walk down the street and never react to someone the way a normal person would.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
Giantrobo (03-23-21), IBJoel (03-23-21)
Old 03-23-21, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Another amusing aspect - 4 hours and we still don't have better direction on stuff like this.
4 hours and the lottery is the biggest critizism people can come up with?
Hokeyboy (03-23-21)
Old 03-23-21, 04:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yep, that's it. That's why this thread is only 14 pages so far.
IBJoel (03-23-21)
Old 03-23-21, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit
Yep, that's it. That's why this thread is only 14 pages so far.
Well it feels like most of those 14 pages are focussing on the lottery. I liked the movie and even I have bigger complaints than the stupid Cyborg montage. It was just a way of showing that Cyborg is a cyber genius and a decent guy in a comic book movie. It's not The King's Speech.
The following 2 users liked this post by Runaway:
Hokeyboy (03-23-21), IBJoel (03-23-21)
Old 03-23-21, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
Well it feels like most of those 14 pages are focussing on the lottery. I liked the movie and even I have bigger complaints than the stupid Cyborg montage. It was just a way of showing that Cyborg is a cyber genius and a decent guy in a comic book movie. It's not The King's Speech.

It’s one example from a lot of examples. In my initial review I listed like 20 dumb ass moments in the movie. Happy to tackle them all!
IBJoel (03-23-21)
Old 03-23-21, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
If by 14 you mean 2 then yes. If you’d like to discuss the other issues with this film, I’m more than willing to reiterate the problems I had.
IBJoel (03-24-21)
Old 03-23-21, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Abob Teff:
IBJoel (03-24-21), milo bloom (03-24-21)
Old 03-23-21, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I really liked the movie and I can name a handful of problems, the least of which is the Gotham City Bank Jackpot.

The numerous musical interludes throughout the first hour, to start.

and more of a pet peeve than a problem but those Amazon women have a ceremony for EVERYTHING! They’re in a hurry to warn Diana of the incoming intergalactic invasion....but first, they need to light torches and dress up in ceremonial garb, then they need to slowly walk the box with the sacred arrow in it out to the cliff side like it’s a damn funeral, then they have to slowly and ritualistically lift the arrow out of the box and rattle off a long dialogue about the meaning of the arrow, then they have to recite some ancient text, then slowly aim the arrow into the night sky, but before she shoots it, she has to make a final speech...

Jesus, it’s an emergency. Grab the fucking arrow and shoot it!

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 03-23-21 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-23-21, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

And I said it before, I highly doubt there is an actual Gotham City Bank Prize Jackpot, he made it up.
The cognitive dissonance here is astounding. I wish you well.
Old 03-23-21, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

At first, I had no problem with the ATM machine scene other than I thought the jackpot thing was a dumb cover for Cyborg to create. Now I see a bigger issue if some people seem to think there was an actual bank jackpot prize, much like a slot machine.

Wait. Am I being punked right now? It was an ATM. She got an insufficient funds notice. Cyborg put money in her account. He created the silly jackpot screen. .
The following 2 users liked this post by clckworang:
IBJoel (03-24-21), spainlinx0 (03-29-21)
Old 03-23-21, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Maybe I'm just too cynical. I can more easily suspend my disbelief for resurrected flying aliens in capes than a bank giving away 100,000 dollars in a lottery.
Trvth.
ddrknghtrtns (03-23-21)
Old 03-23-21, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I won't lie, I had a split second "how's that work?" thought when Cyborg pulled the ATM stunt but then I realized I'm watching a fucking comic book movie where characters fly, time travel is a thing, boom tubes beam in bad guys from another dimension and heroes get the shit beat out of them with nary a scratch.

You guys are too much.
whotony (03-26-21)
Old 03-24-21, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
  • I laughed out loud at how stupid the first Martian Manhunter moment is. It literally makes no sense and if it had just been cut (but his conversation with Lois as Martha left intact), everything would have worked better.
  • Do you want your symbolism subtle? This is not the movie for you. They'll show it, then explain it, then explain it again. I'm surprised someone didn't say that Superman was just like Jesus because that couldn't have been more of an anvil-over-the-head moment
  • It is INCREDIBLY boring. Scenes that should be cut go on three times longer than necessary. Think a scene is over? There's 3 more unnecessary minutes on the way, don't worry. There's a reason they don't let directors do whatever they want without editors.
  • The 4x3 is so stupid and makes the entire film feel cramped. Another DUMB decision from Snyder.
  • Superman's entrance at the last fight finally gave the thing some much needed life and energy and he just kicks the shit out of Steppenwolf, proving once again that unless you're fighting a monster made of Kryptonite, every other JLA member is useless once Superman shows up.
  • Every slow-ass song that was added in felt out of place - perfect example was the car crash with Iris. Felt like I was watching the last 3 minutes of a Scrubs episode.
  • I think Steppenwolf said he "smelled the Motherbox" on people 127 times.
  • Steppenwolf discovers that the Equation is on Earth after we've seen it on Earth as Darkseid fights Atlanteans, Amazons and humans. They already knew it was there. That was just one of the disjointed moments throughout.
  • I was genuinely uncomfortable when the women in the village started singing that creepy-as-shit song when Aquaman was going into the ocean (did you miss him taking his clothes off and slow-walking into the sea? Don't worry, he'll do it two more times.)
  • Ah the return of Meera making air bubbles so she can talk to people. Do Atlanteans not talk unless Meera is around? The Aquaman movie solved this by just...having them talk underwater. What a concept!
  • The Epilogue was completely unnecessary and dragged the movie on even further. Snyder knows he's not making another one of these - why bother adding a cliffhanger back in? Ah, that's right - no one is saying "pump the brakes, guy" on this one.
  • Batman uses three vehicles in this movie and all of them are destroyed after they do one thing. I'd like at least one of these multi-million dollar vehicles to last longer than 2 minutes. Except for the ship at the end, which apparently Cyborg could completely fix despite it being a burning wreckage.
  • Speaking of - Cyborg can fix plastic too? Pretty slick how he recreated that tape recorder through...magic? What a stupid character.
If you liked it, I am truly glad for you. I genuinely like it when people like things. It just wasn't for me at all.
Since you wanted to go into detail. I cut out what I considered your taste, since it's pointless to discuss taste.
  • The Martian Manhunter scene was nothing more than fan service. Snyder was cleary searching for a scene in his own movie, where he could cram him in. That's not pretty clever, but stupid fan service we see in every comic book movie, every Stan Lee appearence e.g.
  • Subtlety is definitely not a tool in Snyder's toolbox, my wife doesn't like most comic book movies but she was watching part of the Snyder Cut and at one point said: "The movie missed the chance for more epic pictures, only every other picture tries to be epic." I guess that descibres Snyder's movies.
  • I wasn't bored at all, but I caught myself several times thinking this is a scene which could/must be shorter, some of them actually play better in Whedon's Cut.
  • I wouldn't have gone with the 4:3, but I didn't took notice after a while, but I guess if you're not enjoying yourself anyway and don't get lost in the movie, you get bothered by it, but I guess widescreen
  • Superman making the Justice League obsolete is a problem which Snyder didn't create and can't fix, but I do think he did a pretty good job, in giving everything a task that helped to stop Steppenwolf's plan and while Superman could do all of those tasks, he couldn't do them all at once, so a team was necessary.
  • I didn't care for the song and before that Bruce riding a horse was much longer than necessary. The part on Island was better in Whedon's Cut. Showing Momoa taking his shirt of, before going into the sea is mandatory, but not three times. I also wondered if he takes his shirt of everytime, why was he wearing a shirt when rescuing the fisherman.
  • Meera isn't the only one who can make bubbles, Vulko makes a bubble too, but it's a stupid concept and I'm glad they didn't reuse it for the Aquaman movie.
  • I liked the epilogue, it's a stretched out post credit scene and why not put in the cliffhanger. It at least forshadowes what could have been, that's the whole point of the exercise.
  • I don't see a problem in wrecking his vehicles. It's not like they where useless and why be gentle if you're in a war? Iron Man goes through several suits in every movie.
  • Obviously he can fix plastic too, not realistic enough?
Old 03-24-21, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I won't lie, I had a split second "how's that work?" thought when Cyborg pulled the ATM stunt but then I realized I'm watching a fucking comic book movie where characters fly, time travel is a thing, boom tubes beam in bad guys from another dimension and heroes get the shit beat out of them with nary a scratch.

You guys are too much.
True, I don't actually care that much about this one particular scene, I'm just legitimately surprised that it was open to interpretation and I do think it's a fair point to consider where the money came from. But not so much that I was thinking about it through the entire movie or anything.

For instance, the whole Darkseid forgetting about Earth thing is way more central to the plot and confusing to me than the ATM. It feels like there should have been another reason Darkseid stayed away from Earth for so long, especially considering the gigantic visual of what looks like the anti-life equation etched on the ground (but maybe that was something else?) and the fact that he conquers a thousands of worlds on the regular and this one gave him an axe to the chest and caused him his (only?) defeat.

On a side note, this does remind me of the time we discussed Man of Steel, and some said they were bothered by all the destruction in Metropolis and that thousands of people must have died in that carnage. Then others adamantly defended the movie saying no way, they obviously all got evacuated off screen. Then Snyder himself says nah, tons of people died, and uses that in the beginning of his next movie.
IBJoel (03-24-21)
Old 03-24-21, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Finally got around to watching this over the past couple days. The chapter breaks do work pretty well as stopping points in the film. So that’s nice if a person wants to break up the movie instead of dedicating four hours at once.

Overall I liked this new cut quite a bit. It still has some issues, but overall it’s a much better flowing movie, and aspects I didn’t like in the theatrical version are better.

For instance I would say after watching this version of the film that Ezra Miller as Barry/The Flash is actually pretty good. In the theatrical version he was joking around all the time where his character was annoying. Here he had his moments where he was making jokes or making light of situations, but it was much more balanced.

Also Steppenwolf was actually a fairly good villain in this. Instead of just being a generic bad guy he had decent motivation. Also liked the glimpses of Darkseid and company we were shown. It was just enough to set up his presence, but not so much where it didn’t fit.

Some of the side characters in this really grew on me more too. I like Irons as Alfred and Simmons as Gordon. It’s really too bad that Affleck is probably out as Batman for good as I’d like to see him back along with those supporting characters.

Another thing is while I’m still not a huge fan of the character Cyborg definitely has a larger and more important role in Snyder’s film. A good chunk of the film is pretty much dedicated to him, and it almost feels like this was half his origin story.

My biggest takeaway from the Snyder cut is that I truly don’t understand how anyone at WB thought Whedon’s version was better. Had they brought him in to just finish up the film and maybe tighten up the run time a bit for the theatrical run I could understand more.

It feels like they just wasted a bunch of money on reshoots on a film that wasn’t nearly as good. Just a bizarre choice.

Overall this movie was enjoyable. I took issues with Snyder’s DC films initially, but I think this was a good effort. It’s a shame this isn’t the film we initially got and likely will be the end of versions of some of the characters. I would enjoy seeing more of Affleck as Batman and Cavill as Superman.

Last edited by Mike86; 03-24-21 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-24-21, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
My biggest takeaway from the Snyder cut is that I truly don’t understand how anyone at WB thought Whedon’s version was better. Had they brought him in to just finish up the film and maybe tighten up the run time a bit for the theatrical run I could understand more.
They basically just wanted to copy Marvel/Avengers, making it a much brighter color pallet and more lighthearted. Even though that went 100% against the two films leading into JL. It was partially doomed long before then though, with WB not wanting to properly build the universe and instead introduce major characters during JL with little/no backstory. All within a 2 hour cut.
Old 03-24-21, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree that the Snyder cut is better, which makes sense given how the Whedon cut was put together. However there is no chance even if he stayed at the helm that he would've been able to release a four hour cut, so I still think a lot of that side character stuff falls on the cutting room floor because the plot as is is just too dense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.