Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Asian movies reviews, comments, news, and appreciation thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The One and Only Asian movies reviews, comments, news, and appreciation thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-22, 07:45 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: The One and Only Asian movies reviews, comments, news, and appreciation thread

Ever rising Vietnamese star Veronica Ngo (House in the Alley, Furie) has started pre-production on an upcoming film, titled Furies (aka Thanh Soi), a semi-related follow-up/prequel to her 2019 actioner Furie (aka Hai Phuong)

This time around, Ngo will direct – through her own production company, Studio68 – passing the torch to a newcomer Dong Anh Quynh, who will be playing the role of a young Thanh Soi (previously played by Trần Thanh Hoa in Furie).

Thanh Soi will bring an interesting story about the journey and ‘blackening’ of an innocent child into the most famous criminal in Saigon in the 90s. This is a bold test and rarely appears on the Vietnamese screen when the producer has to create the story of a villain that can cause sympathy for the audience (via Tiin.vn).

Furie fight choreographer, Samuel Kefi Abrikh (The Hunting) will once again be staging the martial arts action. Aaron Toronto (Tam Cam: The Untold Story) will be taking over writing duties for Kay Nguyen. Hong Kong film figure, Bey Logan (The Dark Soul), is producing.

Cast members include Rima Thanh Vy, Thuan Nguyen, Song Luan and recording artist Toc Tien.

To Western audiences, Ngo is mostly known for her work in the acclaimed Vietnamese martial arts features The Rebel and Clash with Johnny Tri Nguyen, not to mention a minor role in Yuen Woo-ping’s Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny with Michelle Yeoh and Donnie Yen. And her recent appearances in Bright, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Da 5 Bloods have gotten her more exposure in mainstream Hollywood.

Look out for Furies domestic release in April 2, 2022.
https://cityonfire.com/furies-furies...-ngo-toc-tien/
Old 03-31-22, 09:51 AM

Re: The One and Only Asian movies reviews, comments, news, and appreciation thread

Has anyone seen this RRR - Rise Roar Revolt film? It's playing in a bunch of theatres around me and has apparently done pretty well at the BO. The action is supposed to be crazy. Run time is 3 hours though... I'm not really familiar or have seen films like this.

Old 03-31-22, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Some of the accounts that I follow on Twitter has been hyping up RRR. I'm not familiar at all with Indian cinema so I'm also interested to see if this film is worth watching. I watched Dhoom (2004) which was recommended to me and I hated it.
Old 03-31-22, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 982 Likes on 692 Posts

A lot of the theaters in my area have been showing more and more Indian cinema to fill screen time during the pandemic. This one was kind of on my radar to the extent that I didn't just look past it while looking at showtimes, but the long runtime scared me off. I also think the showtimes were far more limited, especially if I wanted to see it in the preferred dialect. I don't remember what that was, but I know it's been playing in at least 3 different versions around here.

Last edited by rocket1312; 03-31-22 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-01-22, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Anita will be the opening night film at the San Diego Asian Film Festival Spring Showcase later this month

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Raging Fire was badass. I also rented City on Fire (had never seen it before) and the Reservoir Dogs influence is there, but only briefly and at the very end. CoF on the surface, is really overrated and I didn't care much about Chow's character.
Been a while since I saw City on Fire, but I do like it. If you look at it as the pre-cursor to Reservoir Dogs (Dogs is most certainly NOT the "shot-for-shot ripoff" that so many QT haters like to claim it is), it basically goes far more into detail as to how the undercover cop gets into the gang. Much more than a mere "commode story", which when you kinda think about it, it's a pretty flimsy way for Freddie to be accepted by Big Joe. In City on Fire, it's much more believable as Chow Yun-Fat's character has to pretty much sacrifice his life and career to do it. In fact, in a stroke of brilliance that Tarantino kinda skipped, even fellow cops do not know he's gone undercover into the gang, they actually think he's corrupt, and Chow does everything he can to sell it that he is indeed corrupt. The other thing for R Dogs fans to notice is that in this case, the "Mr. White" and "Mr. Blonde" characters are rolled into one person.

Old 04-04-22, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We can talk about Asian-AMERICAN films in this thread, right?

This won the Audience Award at my film festival back in 2019, but I wasn't around for its only screening, something I now sorely regret. Sony Pictures picked it up the following year, but we all know what happened then. It's currently showing on the Starz channels, and I'd very highly recommend DVRing it the next time it airs.

Eva Noblezada plays Rose, a Filipina-American teen in Texas who loves country music. Her mom is then picked up by ICE, and Rose must get by on her own. That's pretty much it, but there doesn't really need to be much more. It's a very real story that will have you riveted to the screen and rooting for Rose to succeed. Not everything gets neatly wrapped up, and that's the way I like my movies. Life doesn't always have a tidy solution, and you won't find one in this movie either. But I absolutely loved it, and will be adding the Blu-Ray to my next Amazon order.

(Noblezada's other major screen role came in an SVU episode last year where she played a cam girl who was assaulted by an over-zealous fan)
Old 04-04-22, 07:52 PM

Jimmy Wang Yu has passed away. I saw a post going around on social media from his daughter.

Last edited by dex14; 04-04-22 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-04-22, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Yeah HK film pundit Mike Leeder also mentioned it on his feed.
Old 04-04-22, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 165 Posts

I assume that English translation is of a Google Translate quality, and did not really properly convey some of nuances in the announcement and even have some downright erroneous wordings. Such as the Taipei hospital translated as Taipei Promotion Temple, WTF?
Old 04-05-22, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
I assume that English translation is of a Google Translate quality, and did not really properly convey some of nuances in the announcement and even have some downright erroneous wordings. Such as the Taipei hospital translated as Taipei Promotion Temple, WTF?
Yea, it was the Facebook translate. This is a translation from Frank Djeng, who does commentary and subtitles for a lot of the HK releases:
It is with profound sadness that I let everyone know, that our beloved father Wang Yu, after struggling with the demon that is his illness for the past 6 years, has passed away at Taipei's Jung Hing Hospital on the morning of April 5th (Taiwan time). He was 80 years old. My father was a man of chivalry who values friendship above all. Whether it's on screen or off, his way of life was just like the iron-clad swordsman or warrior he played on screen, and he had a colorful life. Even though we didn't want him to go, we will always remember our father, and we strongly believe that his handsome, charming image of a swordsman, just like the one he played in ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN, will forever remain in history and in the hearts and minds of his many fans.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
Ash Ketchum (04-05-22), Brian T (04-06-22)
Old 04-05-22, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

One of the greats. Wang Yu wrote, directed and starred in what is generally considered the first true kung fu film, THE CHINESE BOXER, aka HAMMER OF GOD (1970).

Old 04-05-22, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
One of the greats. Wang Yu wrote, directed and starred in what is generally considered the first true kung fu film, THE CHINESE BOXER, aka HAMMER OF GOD (1970).

The Chinese Boxer rocks. The finale in the snow is gorgeous. I highly recommend picking up the 88 Films Blu-ray of this.

Last edited by dex14; 04-05-22 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-06-22, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/s...nt-1235224844/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...or-1235118536/

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/06/10911...-film-industry

Last edited by asianxcore; 04-06-22 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-06-22, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actor Yuki Masuzaki's Twitter has a lot of information about the recent allegations in the Japanese Film Industry:

https://twitter.com/Yuki_Mats
Old 04-07-22, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

If often seemed like the Asian film industries – but especially Japan's – have largely sidestepped any major #MeToo scandals, so this stuff is probably overdue. Can't imagine it won't expand, and good if it does.

Just watched Sion Sono's PRISONERS OF THE GHOSTLAND last night, coincidentally enough. Liked a lot of his work over the years, but now . . . yeesh.
Old 04-07-22, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I received my BD screeners for Knockabout and Dreadnaught. I remember the first time I saw bits of Dreadnaught way back on laserdisc on the "Deadliest Art" compilation documentary. It's been on my want list for many years. Will probably watch them this weekend.
Old 04-08-22, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I received my BD screeners for Knockabout and Dreadnaught. I remember the first time I saw bits of Dreadnaught way back on laserdisc on the "Deadliest Art" compilation documentary. It's been on my want list for many years. Will probably watch them this weekend.
I revisited Dreadnaught last year watching it in a crappy dubbed and visual version. It was still awesome. I need to watch it properly in a HD format and original language. I still have my old Fox/Fortune Star DVD for Knockabout.
Old 04-08-22, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian T
If often seemed like the Asian film industries – but especially Japan's – have largely sidestepped any major #MeToo scandals, so this stuff is probably overdue. Can't imagine it won't expand, and good if it does.

Just watched Sion Sono's PRISONERS OF THE GHOSTLAND last night, coincidentally enough. Liked a lot of his work over the years, but now . . . yeesh.
I loved Love Exposure but the other films of Sono's that I watched (Tag, Tokyo Tribe, Prisoners of Ghostland and Love and Peace) didn't click with me the same way. Now, I'm not sure if I'm going to continue with his filmography...
Old 04-08-22, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked Suicide Club and Why Don't You Play in Hell a lot. Props to my film festival's artistic director on the latter; I wanted to watch it, but I was projecting it. He wouldn't let me start the movie then run down and watch it, he said I can only see it if I watch from the very very beginning. And he was right, you definitely miss a lot if you don't see the first minute or two.
Old 04-17-22, 10:24 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 535 Likes on 471 Posts

Shin Ultraman full trailer (no English subtitles) • opens May 13 in Japan

The following users liked this post:
devilshalo (04-21-22)
Old 04-19-22, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

I was surprised but quite happy to hear this:

The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (04-19-22)
Old 04-21-22, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I recently watched The Sadness (2021).

Insane levels of gore, borderline CATIII inspired depravity but no likeable characters in sight.

I honestly didn't care what happened to the characters, so the 100-minute run-time was just waiting to see what boundaries were going to be pushed next.

Most of this film's traction has been (and will be) the levels of gore, so pure gore-hounds will eat it up.
Old 04-21-22, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by WTK
Shin Ultraman full trailer (no English subtitles) • opens May 13 in Japan

That looks pretty cool.. but where's his underdeveloped arms and does he start out googly eyed as well?
Old 04-22-22, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got to see Anita on the big screen last night. Couldn't fully appreciate the photos in the end credits, since I was also projecting the movie, and had to run back to the booth once I saw it was close to the end. A bit schmaltzy but that's to be expected with the subject matter. I was only familiar with her movies, not her singing career. When she was singing her controversial song Bad Girl, I was thinking, "Isn't this a Sheena Easton song?", and a visit to Wikipedia proved that it indeed was.

There's a scene where she's at the Golden Harvest Studios office, and the receptionist is talking on the phone to a "Mr. Chan". Can we assume that was a subtle hint that it was Jackie on the line?
Old 04-22-22, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I recently watched The Sadness (2021).

Insane levels of gore, borderline CATIII inspired depravity but no likeable characters in sight.

I honestly didn't care what happened to the characters, so the 100-minute run-time was just waiting to see what boundaries were going to be pushed next.

Most of this film's traction has been (and will be) the levels of gore, so pure gore-hounds will eat it up.

There's a German 4K disc import of this that keeps selling out over at DiabookDVD.

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/...iabook-4k-uhd/

It's getting great buzz, but I will wait until my local rental shop acquires it -- they already get plenty of imports. If Eureka gets it in the UK then that's even better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.