Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Asian movies reviews, comments, news, and appreciation thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The One and Only Asian movies reviews, comments, news, and appreciation thread

Old 03-27-24, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 652 Likes on 481 Posts
Re: The One and Only Asian movies reviews, comments, news, and appreciation thread

Oof.

I noticed 'Sony Pictures Television' as the studio at the 45-second mark, which makes sense as this doesn't quite feel like a 'theatrical' film the way the original did. It seems like it might go sillier.

Also, feel free to adjust my thinking on this anyone (and I'm sure eyes are rolling ), but I find it weird that among those giant text flashes is one that says "Zombies From The Qing Dynasty" rather than just "Zombies". I'm nitpicking, yes, but obviously they're trying to include hopping vampires, a fun staple of Hong Kong films for decades (which never required justification!), but because China's censors still forbid or frown upon certain supernatural elements — because, you know, China audiences might think they're real, like ginormous snakes — the filmmakers or the studio has to qualify their inclusion by linking them to a period of, naturally, pre-CCP history. I'm keen to see how they're utilized in a film like this.

Incidentally, China's been knocking off ANACONDA (and adjacent movies, like DEEP RISING and various Hollywood giant monster movies) for a few years now, so I wonder if this new take on ANACONDA is also a case of Sony finally waking up and licensing one themselves to get a piece of the action on streaming. All of the movies spoilered below are on Tubi (and presumably other services), by the way, for those looking for lazy-day time wasters that put their Asylum-brand counterparts to shame . . . to a degree:

Last edited by Brian T; 03-27-24 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-07-24, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,732 Likes on 2,679 Posts
Re: The One and Only Asian movies reviews, comments, news, and appreciation thread

New trailer for City Hunter. Comes out April 25

The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-08-24)
Old 04-08-24, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 654 Likes on 504 Posts

Saw the first trailer a while back. It looked fun, but I was left unsure if it was a movie or a series.
Old 04-17-24, 10:14 AM

Received 4,692 Likes on 3,179 Posts

From Director Soi Cheang (SPLII: A Time of Consequences, The Monkey King series) – and producers Wilson Yip Wai Sun (Ip Man series, Flashpoint) and John Chong (Infernal Affairs series, Initial D). Twilight of the Warriors: Walled In is an adaptation of the cult manga series City of Darkness by Andy Seto. Set in the eighties inside the dangerous and enigmatic Kowloon Walled City, which was a de jure Chinese enclave within British colonial Hong Kong, Twilight of the Warriors: Walled In follows troubled youth Chan Lok-kwun as he accidentally enters the Walled City, discovers the order amidst its chaos, and learns important life lessons along the way. In the Walled City, he becomes close friends with Shin, Twelfth Master and AV. Under the leadership of Tornado, they resist against the invasion of villain Mr. Big in a series of fierce battles. Together, they vow to protect the safe haven that is Kowloon Walled City.

Genre: Crime, Action
Language: Cantonese
Director: Soi Cheang
Cast: Louis Koo, Sammo Hung, Richie Jen, Raymond Lam, Terrance Lau, Tony Wu