Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Asian movies reviews, comments, news, and appreciation thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The One and Only Asian movies reviews, comments, news, and appreciation thread

Old 04-22-22, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 364 Likes on 306 Posts
Re: The One and Only Asian movies reviews, comments, news, and appreciation thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
There's a German 4K disc import of this that keeps selling out over at DiabookDVD.

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/...iabook-4k-uhd/

It's getting great buzz, but I will wait until my local rental shop acquires it -- they already get plenty of imports. If Eureka gets it in the UK then that's even better.
A friend of mine picked up that release and let me borrow it. That's the only reason I was able to see it.

Raven Banner Entertainment is releasing the film on Blu-Ray in May, which I'll probably order once they go up on DiabolikDVD.
Old 04-22-22, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: The One and Only Asian movies reviews, comments, news, and appreciation thread

If this movie has been discussed elsewhere then my apologies but I did not find anything from a few searches.

From Saturday TV in late '80s I think the movie was called 'The Tridents' and the likely candidate I have found so far is Masked Avengers. I may be confusing the following scene with another movie but I remember the main character has to wash powder out of his hair without drawing water from a well so he drops a bucket or other items into the well which splashes water upward and 'washes' his hair as he does various handstands above the well. Beyond that I remember a lot of acrobatic fighting and tridents.
Old 04-22-22, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
If this movie has been discussed elsewhere then my apologies but I did not find anything from a few searches.

From Saturday TV in late '80s I think the movie was called 'The Tridents' and the likely candidate I have found so far is Masked Avengers. I may be confusing the following scene with another movie but I remember the main character has to wash powder out of his hair without drawing water from a well so he drops a bucket or other items into the well which splashes water upward and 'washes' his hair as he does various handstands above the well. Beyond that I remember a lot of acrobatic fighting and tridents.
Washing his hair by dropping a rock tied to a rope was Return to the 36th Chamber.

Last edited by devilshalo; 04-22-22 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-22-22, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Got to see Anita on the big screen last night. Couldn't fully appreciate the photos in the end credits, since I was also projecting the movie, and had to run back to the booth once I saw it was close to the end. A bit schmaltzy but that's to be expected with the subject matter. I was only familiar with her movies, not her singing career. When she was singing her controversial song Bad Girl, I was thinking, "Isn't this a Sheena Easton song?", and a visit to Wikipedia proved that it indeed was.

There's a scene where she's at the Golden Harvest Studios office, and the receptionist is talking on the phone to a "Mr. Chan". Can we assume that was a subtle hint that it was Jackie on the line?
Can't say that I'm not jealous that you got to see Anita on the big screen even if you were doubling as the projectionist. There's certainly no shortage of Cantopop covers of songs from the West. 'Bad Girl' was an early hit for Anita Mui, but I have to believe she did other covers given how long her singing career was.

You're more than likely right about the reference to 'Mr. Chan' being Jackie since they collaborated on those Golden Harvest films (three that I can think of). The thing is I don't know much about Mui's life and relationships, and Chan is a ridiculously common Chinese surname. My guess would be that it's supposed to be Jackie Chan on the line, but if someone were to tell me that Mui knew several people with that last name, I wouldn't be at all surprised.
Old 04-22-22, 04:06 PM

Received 4,681 Likes on 3,169 Posts

Wasn't the Anita director's cut supposed to come to Disney+? I think it is in other countries, but I don't see it in the US?
Old 04-22-22, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I recently watched The Sadness (2021).

Insane levels of gore, borderline CATIII inspired depravity but no likeable characters in sight.

I honestly didn't care what happened to the characters, so the 100-minute run-time was just waiting to see what boundaries were going to be pushed next.

Most of this film's traction has been (and will be) the levels of gore, so pure gore-hounds will eat it up.
Caught this recently also. I thought the first half hour was quite good, but after the subway sequence it quickly ran out of gas (as well as budget). The movie gets very dumb when characters stand still and scream instead of running for their lives. The last hour of the flick was actually kind of dull, except for a few brief spurts of over-the-top gore. The movie plays out like a nastier version of The Crazies but not as depraved as Garth Ennis' comic book series Crossed, which feels like it had a major influence here.
The following users liked this post:
asianxcore (04-23-22)
Old 04-23-22, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Washing his hair by dropping a rock tied to a rope was Return to the 36th Chamber.

That's it! Thank you!
Old 04-23-22, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 364 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Caught this recently also. I thought the first half hour was quite good, but after the subway sequence it quickly ran out of gas (as well as budget). The movie gets very dumb when characters stand still and scream instead of running for their lives. The last hour of the flick was actually kind of dull, except for a few brief spurts of over-the-top gore. The movie plays out like a nastier version of The Crazies but not as depraved as Garth Ennis' comic book series Crossed, which feels like it had a major influence here.
I definitely agree that the film gasses out fairly early.

I'll also add a good chunk of the film's final act feels like an exposition dumping ground.

If I'm not mistaken, Director Rob Jabbaz cited Garth Ennis' Crossed a big influences, so no surprises there!
Old 04-25-22, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 961 Likes on 732 Posts

So, I got to watch a few more movies during our festival.

Fortune Favors Lady Nikuko - Lightweight Japanese animated film (although in full 2.35:1 scope, that's kinda rare for the genre) about a young pre-pubescent girl living a transient life with her overweight and pun-loving mom. I admit, it did make me think back to times when my parents would embarrass me in front of my friends, and I'm glad the plot of the film didn't take it to the girl hurting the mom's feelings by snapping at her. All in all, it's just an enjoyable story about two outcasts of society trying their best to fit in and find people.

On the Line - Korean mashup of the revenge film genre (like Taken, although I've never seen that movie I'm just guessing) and The Wolf of Wall Street. An ex-cop turned construction contractor's wife loses their life savings in a phone scam, so he goes undercover into the scammer's organization to take him down. Once in, he finds the leader is a charismatic boss who encourages his employees to go for "the big score". I didn't find this as engaging as the program book's synopsis made it sound, and the bizarre angle of showing the scammer running the company almost had you rooting for him to succeed.

Nothing Serious - a real winner here, my favorite of the festival so far. Also from South Korea, this one is about a single woman starting a casual sexual relationship with a man from a dating app (BTW, the graphics on the dating app are absolutely hilarious, I hope that translates to the small screen for those who end up seeing it that way), not knowing he's a magazine writer who is detailing their escapades for a salacious series of articles. The end to this one is totally predictable, but it's rare to see a Korean film be so overtly sexual. And it's not graphic; I don't recall seeing any nudity save for one male butt shot, and that fits in with the nature of the articles the male character is writing. Also a lightweight film, and one is tempted to use the title as a review of it, but it was an enjoyable way to spend 90 minutes. Recommended.

Last edited by Paff; 04-26-22 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-25-22, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Wasn't the Anita director's cut supposed to come to Disney+? I think it is in other countries, but I don't see it in the US?
Itís available in Canada as episodes instead of one movie.
Old 04-25-22, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Itís available in Canada as episodes instead of one movie.
Yes, thatís the directorís cut. Still not in the US.
Old 04-27-22, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RIP Kenneth Tsang (nee Tsang Kong). He recently appeared in the courtroom drama/crime thriller The Attorney (2021) and in Amazon Prime's White Dragon.

https://variety.com/2022/film/actors...or-1235242490/

Kenneth Tsang, a veteran Hong Kong actor who starred in pioneering martial arts movies, has died. He was 87.

In the 1980s and 1990s he appeared in several influential titles by John Woo including “
A Better Tomorrow” and “A Better Tomorrow 2” followed by “The Killer” and “Once a Thief.” His first Hollywood movie was the Antoine Fuqua-directed “The Replacement Killers,” alongside Hong Kong superstar Chow Yun-fat.

Old 05-01-22, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
RIP Kenneth Tsang (nee Tsang Kong). He recently appeared in the courtroom drama/crime thriller The Attorney (2021) and in Amazon Prime's White Dragon.

https://variety.com/2022/film/actors...or-1235242490/
I watched A Better Tomorrow II last night as I just read the news about him. And man, the main weakness in that film was the plot, it was just so convoluted, especially the scenes in NY. I wish there was an easier way they could have introduced the Ken character because most of the other stuff in the film (the Kit and Hung characters/plots in HKG) was perfectly fine. Still a fine shoot out scene at the end. And Chow Yun Fat seems like he had more fun here than in the first film.
Old 05-03-22, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
I watched A Better Tomorrow II last night as I just read the news about him. And man, the main weakness in that film was the plot, it was just so convoluted, especially the scenes in NY.
Someone more knowledgeable about this can chime in, but from what I've heard, ABT2 was where Tsui Hark and John Woo had their falling out. Apparently, they couldn't agree on the way the story should've gone so Woo shot all the Hong Kong scenes while Tsui filmed the NYC sequences. That would certainly explain why you can separate them and those two halves can more or less stand on their own.

Again, I don't have a news article to link to that backs up what could very well be just fan speculation, so I'm hoping someone with something more substantial can comment on ABT2.
Old 05-04-22, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
Someone more knowledgeable about this can chime in, but from what I've heard, ABT2 was where Tsui Hark and John Woo had their falling out. Apparently, they couldn't agree on the way the story should've gone so Woo shot all the Hong Kong scenes while Tsui filmed the NYC sequences. That would certainly explain why you can separate them and those two halves can more or less stand on their own.

Again, I don't have a news article to link to that backs up what could very well be just fan speculation, so I'm hoping someone with something more substantial can comment on ABT2.
I'm not the "knowledgeable" person that L Everett Scott was referring to but from what I have read about over the years about the filming of ABT2 and ABT3 by Hark and Bullet in the Head from Woo, is that there was a definite falling out of the two during the filming of ABT2 and the reason why there's two versions of the same story for part 3.

Sean Gillman in his The End of Cinema blog for his ABT3 review does a good job explaining the situation. He does indicate that probably the only two people that know the exact details of the reason are John Woo and Tsui Hark.
Old 05-04-22, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Kenneth Tsang's obit is in today's New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/28/m...sang-dead.html

Tsang's wife was Lisa Chiao Chiao (first pic below), Jimmy Wang Yu's leading lady in Shaw Bros. films like THE ASSASSIN, ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN and RETURN OF THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN.
Tsang's sister was Jeanette Lin Tsui (2nd pic below), who was a star at Cathay Pictures in the 1950s and '60s, including playing the title character in OUR SISTER HEDY (1957), a modern take-off on Little Women and Pride and Prejudice.

Old 05-15-22, 04:27 PM

The Sadness was added to Shudder. What a splatterfest.

Why So Blu? (05-15-22)
Old 05-20-22, 06:39 AM

That Indian film, RRR, mentioned earlier is up on Netflix today.
Old 05-21-22, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,711 Likes on 2,667 Posts

Trailer for Hunt. 2022 Korean action thriller with the star of Squid Game. He's also director of this. This was in the Cannes Film Festival.

I have a Korean movie theater near me, if this ends up playing there, I would check it out.
Old 05-21-22, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,711 Likes on 2,667 Posts

Another new Korean movie to look out for. The Roundup. Starring Don Lee from The Eternals I guess this is a sequel to another movie with the same character. Anyone familiar with this?

Old 05-21-22, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Another new Korean movie to look out for. The Roundup. Starring Don Lee from The Eternals I guess this is a sequel to another movie with the same character. Anyone familiar with this?

https://youtu.be/ziG80PNrJYI
Iím looking forward to this film as is a sequel to The Outlaws. It was about Korean cops and gangsters teaming up to stop a foreign (Chinese or Vietnamese) gang taking over the city with their violent ways.
Old 05-24-22, 03:43 PM

I posted in the Eureka thread, but worth noting here.

Police Story 1-3 UHD set on the way:
THE POLICE STORY TRILOGY 4K Ultra HD
Amazon Amazon

And Supercop separate release:
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-26-22, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
I watched Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes last night. It is a 70 minute, low budget, Japanese movie about time travel, shot on an iPhone, meant to look like one take. It was a head trip. Pretty inventive... more so than some big budget movies. You can rent it VOD for $4.99.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14500584/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bey...te_two_minutes

https://youtu.be/QLYhM95dMx8
This is up on Prime. Definitely check it out.
Old 05-27-22, 04:40 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 544 Likes on 478 Posts

Opening scene of Shin Ultraman (no English subtitles) streaming for 48 hours (start streaming about 10 hours ago).

Old 05-27-22, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One premise...three movies...

Key of Life (2012)

Luck-Key (2017)

Endgame (2021)

The story begins in much the same way in these three films: an assassin stabs his target to death, finds that he's gotten blood on himself, and goes to a public bathhouse to clean up. Meanwhile, a down-on-his-luck wannabe actor (who can't get parts beyond being an extra) attempts suicide, is interrupted, and (for different reasons in the three films) goes to the same bathhouse where the assassin went.

When the assassin slips on a bar of soap and gets knocked unconscious, the actor accidentally winds up with the former's locker key. The luckless extra noticed beforehand that the other man seemed to be flush, palms the assassin's key, and drops his own by the other's prone body.

Paramedics come into take away the injured man and bring along the contents of his supposed locker while the actor takes the assassin's wardrobe, his car, and his wallet, which happens to be stuffed with more cash than he's seen in his life. The assassin wakes up in the hospital with no memory of who he is but the doctors and nurses find a bill (or insurance form) in his pocket and assume he's the loser actor.

So begins the adventure of two men with swapped identities.

Key of Life is the original and has a distinctly Japanese take. Unlike the two remakes, its story begins with its leading lady, Kanae (Ryōko Hirosue), who announces to her co-workers she's getting married in a couple of weeks. After the applause dies down, Kanae adds that she would like help in finding a suitable groom for her. That's the type of quirkiness that appears repeatedly in KoL, making it a very charming movie. The leads are all very likable, and the film has a sparse soundtrack like many Japanese films. Of the the three movies, it feels the most intimate and holds together the best in terms of plot.

Luck-Key is everything a remake should be. It's very recognizable as the Japanese film remade as a Korean blockbuster, but it puts enough of its own spin on the story that fans familiar with the 2012 original will find quite a few surprises. Amongst the big differences are that one of the love interests is the paramedic who brought the unconscious assassin to the hospital. Another is that the actor discovers that the man whose identity he took was monitoring a woman in what looks like a witness protection program.

Luck-Key comes off as Key of Life with a bigger budget and a Korean polish. The movie feels entirely Korean with winning performances by the main actors and musical cues throughout to enhance each scene.

The big issue with Luck-Key is the resolution, which leaves a gaping plot hole; as well, one of the female leads simply vanishes, making her storyline feel as though it was cut short. In some ways, this Korean remake improves on the original but is let down by the closing moments.

Endgame is very much a reflection of modern day Chinese values. The actor in KoL and Luck-Key feels his conscience nagging at him (after spending all the cash in the other man's wallet) and makes a concerted effort to return the belongings (and identity) to their rightful owner, but is thwarted by circumstance. In Endgame, the attempt to give back to the assassin his property and identity feels very half hearted.

This is the problem overall with the movie: it's like a patchwork of its predecessors except it's hollowed out so it has none of the heart and genuine emotions that are infused in the Japanese and Korean films. Endgame very clearly uses elements from the other two films (its plot leans more towards Luck-Key's but the emphasis on a gangster villain seems like it was lifted from Key of Life). Endgame also tries to put a Chinese spin on one of the female leads, making her a single mom with a son who desperately wants a father in his life. This is the most glaring piece of Chinese ideology in the film, one that frowns on single parenting (especially by a woman) and contrives to restore the traditional nuclear family.

In terms of the budget upgrade that Luck-Key displays over Key of Life, we get the same thing with Endgame. In fact, it feels like a Chinese filmmaker who's familiar with the previous movies wanted to outdo them both on a superficial level. Everything feels grander and showier in Endgame: the assassin's apartment is obviously bigger and more extravagant than the abodes of his counterparts in the first two films. While the assassin keeps a stash of cash in a cookie container in the Japanese and Korean films, that character in the Chinese remake has loads and loads of bills in his car with additional stacks upon stacks in his home.

How money is treated is another way that Endgame distinguishes itself from its predecessors. In KoL and Luck-Key, the actor stumbles upon the extra money which simply solves his problem of not having anything to eat (he orders takeout). In Endgame, the money is depicted as part of the luxury porn, so the actor is giddy with having discovered the cash, embracing bundles of it in slow motion and tossing it around the apartment as he dances amongst the falling bills. If you subscribe to the idea of money not buying happiness, this movie disagrees with you most emphatically...in fact, it's flipping you off.

Like the money-loving actor, everything about Endgame seems toe exist only on a superficial level. Many of the scenarios feel forced so there's no emotional connection with any of the characters. This is a prime example of a soulless piece of product manufactured for the sake of having content for movie houses.

Having said all this, I would recommend seeing Endgame along with the other two films to anyone who's interested in filmmaking. It's quite interesting to see how each iteration attempts to 'improve' upon the story while putting its own cultural stamp on it.

Confession time: I didn't see these in the order of release. I watched Endgame first and only found out afterwards that it was the second remake and then tracked down Key of Life and Luck-Key. It'd be really hard for me to suggest anyone watch these chronologically because Endgame is easily the least satisfying of the three; in fact, it can be a bit of a chore to sit through. I'd be tempted to recommend watching the Chinese film first just so you can see how overblown and empty it is when compared to the other two, which are much more entertaining.

In case I hadn't made it clear, Key of Life is the winner here because of its quirkiness and because it does the most with least amount of resources.
Brian T (05-27-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.