Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
6.09%
13.04%
23.48%
17.39%
16.52%
8.70%
6.09%
3.48%
0%
0.87%
2.61%
What are you high?
1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,867 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by story
Yeah, Leia yells, "Don't take me, bro!" and Force chokes him back. Then R2 has to taze them both to break it up.
This typo train keeps on delivering!
Old 12-22-19, 07:53 PM

Received 4,641 Likes on 3,142 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I almost hate to bring this up, since it hasn’t been mentioned yet in the thread, unless I overlooked it. But I’m surprised and impressed that I have not seen the first bit of flack anywhere online about the lesbian kiss at the end. Maybe society is finally turning the corner on acceptance of non-hetero lifestyles. Either that or the people that claimed the last 2 movies had a “SJW” agenda finally quit showing up for these movies.
I haven’t seen flack for the the act. I’ve seen flack that they were going around saying this movie had its first gay characters, and it was all of two seconds. Apparently people were disappointed that Finn and Poe weren’t lovers. I’m serious.
Old 12-22-19, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,164 Likes on 908 Posts

The kiss didn’t really bother me other than it felt like they really made a point of showing it. Everyone else was celebrating too, but no other kissing that I saw. It’s whatever I guess.
Old 12-22-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
I don't want to derail this thread any further, but I don't think the spinoffs were the problem either. I feel Rogue One is the best SW movie from the current crop. Most of the criticism/talk of TROS and the rest of the ST is how many beats it copies from earlier films. (I really liked how RO was recognizably in the SW world but (and despite the obvious tie-in to the saga) felt like its own movie.)

Back to the discussion that I shouldn't even be in since I haven't seen the movie yet!
JMO, but I believe Rogue One will age well- no matter how successful or not you feel the digital replication of certain characters is. It's fully it's own thing and and it consistently traffics in relatable human-sized emotions and conflicts (the traumas from parent-child separation; the sacrifices you need to make for a greater cause; the backstabbing and gamesmanship in political power play; among others)
I don't think the ST will wear nearly as well, years after the hype, and the novelty of being shiny and new, has died down. The Frankenstein patchwork seams, from a story cobbled together from rehashed story beats trying to line up with deconstructions of the material which then need retcons to get themselves out of painted in corners,- all that will be even more glaring with the perspective of distance.

Disney needed to build characters and situations beyond the OT in the hopes of growing this property.
To that end, Finn was probably the most promising conceptually, but was never really developed.
Poe was nothing we haven't seen before in a hundred other movies.
Rey, despite the charming presence of Ridley, isn't really a flesh & blood character. She's entirely an empty Mary Sue gussied up in archetype dressing, She's anything for any situation the plot needs her to be, which actually makes her nothing much at all. She's liquid mercury.

Disney wanted a quick ROI after the billions spent on the purchase. Since they own this license now in perpetuity, they just needed some new films for the moment, not the ages. They also knew the core OT cast had a rapidly approaching expiration date (and one of them expired in the middle of them). Making good, lasting films was far less important than making the release dates.
Old 12-22-19, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,164 Likes on 908 Posts

Finn was a big missed opportunity. Could have done a lot more with the ex-Storm Trooper thing.
Old 12-22-19, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

I almost hate to bring this up, since it hasn’t been mentioned yet in the thread, unless I overlooked it. But I’m surprised and impressed that I have not seen the first bit of flack anywhere online about the lesbian kiss at the end.
The only criticism I've seen is from the left... it "not being enough", etc. Wasn't an issue for me... actually I was just glad it was an established character from the previous film, vs just some completely random shot...just to say "look at us!"

Last edited by Artman; 12-22-19 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-22-19, 08:24 PM

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
This typo train keeps on delivering!
Jiminy Cricket! I even foxed that teepo tree thymes and it still auto-flagellated!
The following 2 users liked this post by story:
JasonF (12-23-19), Kurt D (12-23-19)
Old 12-22-19, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,250 Likes on 860 Posts

I almost hate to bring this up, since it hasn’t been mentioned yet in the thread, unless I overlooked it. But I’m surprised and impressed that I have not seen the first bit of flack anywhere online about the lesbian kiss at the end. Maybe society is finally turning the corner on acceptance of non-hetero lifestyles. Either that or the people that claimed the last 2 movies had a “SJW” agenda finally quit showing up for these movies.

It was just as clunky as the rest of the movie — it was just more JJ jumping up and down screaming “Look what I did!” If done right, it would have been worked into the story and mattered.

Old 12-22-19, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,250 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
The only criticism I've seen is from the left... it "not being enough", etc. Wasn't an issue for me... actually I was just glad it was an established character from the previous film, vs just some completely random shot...just to say "look at us!"

Ehhh ... it totally was the latter.
Old 12-22-19, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 777 Likes on 377 Posts

Saw this yesterday, and my reaction is very much Meh.

There were things that I liked, mostly the same things others have cited, but nothing had me anywhere near the edge of my seat the way the OT (or even the Rey/Kylo/Snoke scene from TLJ) did. The closest I came to feeling the magic again was the Han/Ben scene, which was pretty great. Apart from that, there were little moments mixed with a whole lot of stuff that didn't feel like Star Wars to me.

I dunno. Maybe the magic is gone for me. Maybe it was in the PT as well, but I wasn't ready to give in. This was the first SW film that I didn't bother to see on opening day or the night before since the OT (when I was too young to do that on my own) and will probably be the first live action Star Wars film period that I don't bother to see multiple times in the theater. I liked TLJ, not the best, but I liked it better than TFA, and now I'm kinda down on the new trilogy as a whole. I will probably still buy this when it is released on blu and revisit it then, to see if anything changes. Right now I'm thinking that I will mostly go back to the OT almost exclusively for what I choose to revisit at home. I like the Mandalorian pretty well thus far though. I hope that that and other stuff in the future can rekindle the spark, but my current anticipation for future material is near non-existent, and it makes me sad.
Old 12-23-19, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 971 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don’t think the spin-offs were the problem really. Not even sure why some are trying to place the blame there.

I pin the blame more on Kennedy and the sequels lacking a good overarching story. I don’t think it’s entirely the fault of The Force Awakens retreading familiar ground. That was a good starting point in my opinion to go a safe, familiar route.

It was the decisions made by The Last Jedi, which we can all argue about until we’re blue in the face about who’s opinion is right or wrong was a divisive film, and then this film trying to be a course correction that threw things off. Also, again it can’t be emphasized enough how much of a fuck up it was to not have a better game plan in place for the trilogy.

This film was enjoyable enough to me, but no question overall the trilogy is messy and disappointing at the end of the day. Especially to me because it’s trying to be wrapped in with the rest of the episodic films, which in my opinion it doesn’t live up to. If this was a completely separate trilogy I’d probably have different feelings on it.
Pretty much this. It has nothing to do with the spin offs. Rogue One was wildly successful but Solo wasn’t. It was TLJ period. Look, with the OT and even with the prequels the story was cohesive enough that audiences came back in larger numbers for the third film to see how the story would end. People showed up for TLJ because they were excited for the continuation of TFA. But, once fans realized the cracks in the system and that THERE WAS NO PLAN. It was like peeking behind the curtain and seeing the tiny little wizard of Oz trying to pull off something magical. Solo was the first out of the gate and crashed and burned and now we’re seeing the effects on RoS. Whether you liked the TLJ or not we can all agree it was not consistent with TFA and RoS certainly isn’t consistent with TLJ and audiences know that they’re making this up as they go along so why run out to the theater to see the ending if it hasn’t been one consistent story?

”But Lucas didn’t plan out the OT” blah blah blah. Doesn’t matter. For one there wasn’t any internet back then so the general audience and even fans didn’t know that. And two it was still one person in charge of it all and overall the OT tells a consistent story. And yeah there are details Lucas obviously didn’t plan out ahead of time but those were minor details and weren’t really revealed until RotJ anyways.

Last edited by tanman; 12-23-19 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-23-19, 01:12 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, Episode III had one big thing going for it, and one thing only, which was Vader. Without that promise that felt tacked on at end of a PT, I don’t think the box office would have been improved upon vs Episode II. People had to see it happen, which wasn’t done very well and people still make fun of it to this day (“Noooo!”). Everyone wanted to see how it was going to end with Return of the Jedi. No one is really buying that The Rise of Skywalker is the end, which is a marketing problem but it’s really the biggest Star Wars problem.
Old 12-23-19, 01:28 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Saw it today and enjoyed the heck out of it. It was a little frenetic at times, but the characters felt true to themselves, it had those big bravura sequences that are emblematic of Star Wars, it echoed the previous films appropriately but not overly (in my opinion), and it delivered a satisfying conclusion to the Rey/Kylo story. The plot and dialogue were hokey at times, but that's been Star Wars since day one, so I can't fault them now.
Old 12-23-19, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm actually going to give a different opinion then most here, as the movie worked for me and actually made The Last Jedi a better movie too. The problems I had with The Last Jedi were the death of Snoke and The arc of Luke, and both were given a payoff in TROS. I had to suspend belief as to why Palpatine came back, but after that I'm glad he was the Villain again. Which leads to the death of Snoke in TLJ and now it worked out better that he was offed by Kylo. The same goes for Luke, as I can live with his character actions in TLJ knowing the payoff was that great scene in TROS where he was hopeful/optimistic again along with lifting the X-Wing out of the water. I even liked Kylo's redemption and Rey being a Palpatine, as it doesn't discount the message in TLJ. Rey is the granddaughter of Hitler, yet she became the hero of Trilogy, so no one is defined by their heritage as YOU make your own choices. I was fine with the fanservice as that is what final movies are for. I actually think JJ gave a great sendoff to Han (and his talk with his son), Leia having a great death scene, and Luke lifting the X-Wing as it gave me closure to those 3 characters I grew up with. It's not a great movie, but it's a fun movie so I'm pleased with what JJ did with it. I think the pacing will feel different (slow down) on multiple viewings as it is always frantic the first time for everyone. There are so many things I missed that I want to look for on a second viewing that I have read from the many posts here like Wedge for example.
The following 3 users liked this post by mcnabb:
Brack (12-23-19), Cusm (12-23-19), loneranger (12-23-19)
Old 12-23-19, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 970 Likes on 702 Posts

Saw this Sat morning. Place was packed but it wasn't really a SW crowd; no one was dressed up; there were no cheers during any point in the movie; quiet the whole time.

As far I could tell, this didn't break any physics of the world so it has that over TLJ going for it. But I also feel it was a super dull conclusion to the saga. McGuffins all over the place. Rey calling herself Skywalker at the end was cringe inducing. I appreciate the PT much more now that this one is concluded.
Old 12-23-19, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I actually think JJ gave a great sendoff to Han (and his talk with his son)

I would have enjoyed this scene more if it wasn't such a direct lift from Chris Terrio's Batman v. Superman script (see Kevin Costner scene), right down to the dialogue, "I miss you, son."
Old 12-23-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

I’ve seen a lot of comments on who should have been the big villain since Snoke was dead. I think they only had one choice really - it needed to be Kylo Ren. That’s where TLJ left things for better or worse. He’s the Supreme Leader. They didn’t have to do the redemption arc with him.

Not surprised at the downtrend in box office for this. I actually think the presence of the MCU as an example of how well a planned arc can be executed has made people tolerate this slapdash writing even less.
Old 12-23-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 970 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
They didn’t have to do the redemption arc with him.
As the son of Han and Leia, I can't imagine Disney ever considered having him be the big bad at the end. Redemption was inevitable.
Old 12-23-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I’ve seen a lot of comments on who should have been the big villain since Snoke was dead. I think they only had one choice really - it needed to be Kylo Ren. That’s where TLJ left things for better or worse. He’s the Supreme Leader. They didn’t have to do the redemption arc with him.
I wouldn't argue with your point, but the problem is they are marketing the movie as the end of the Skywalker Saga. It would make no sense if the last Skywalker/Solo turns out to be the bad guy and dies like The Emperor did in ROTJ (still evil). Because they only had 1 Skywalker/Solo offspring in the Trilogy (which was a mistake from the start), they were boxed into giving him some sort of redemption. You would have essentially had the Skywalker Saga end with a nobody girl defeating a Skywalker, as that would have made the 1-6 story even more detached from 7,8,9. But I get your point and don't think you're wrong.
Old 12-23-19, 09:46 AM

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,164 Posts

I agree with this except the last sentence, redemption is still crucial. While I'm fine with where they went, I do think Kylo Ren achieved what Darth Vader couldn't do, and we could've seen how he handles power. I could see him rebuilding a similar fleet to what we saw in TROS and on the cusp of destroying the galaxy only to be turned and redeemed by Rey. When his commanders find out about this, they lose their minds and try to execute the order anyway. Then it's Kylo against his own fleet and commanders.

Oh. I just rewrote The Rise of Skywalker as The Rock.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (12-23-19)
Old 12-23-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brack
$176m opening weekend estimate. Bomb.
Which is weird, in my experience. For Rogue One, Force Awakens, Last Jedi and Solo, I skipped out on the midnight screenings and started going on the Saturday mornings for the very first showing. Less people means less problems with cell phones and talking. Each time for those movies, there was hardly anyone in the theater. Maybe 10 people. For The Rise Of Skywalker? At an 8:15am showing, the theater was half full! Way more people to see this at such an odd time than for the other movies.

Oh, and $176 million is hardly a "bomb". This movie is going to have some legs.
Old 12-23-19, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I liked it a lot. It addressed several of the things I didn't like in TLJ, it had the right amount of "fan service" or whatever you want to call it. It was fun, emotional and satisfying. My favorite of the new trilogy.
Old 12-23-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
I remember the kiss but not the characters. Who was the established character?
Old 12-23-19, 10:24 AM

Received 4,641 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
I remember the kiss but not the characters. Who was the established character?
I know one was a small carryover character from TLJ rebel crew. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Larma_D%27Acy
Old 12-23-19, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Received 1,075 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I agree with this except the last sentence, redemption is still crucial. While I'm fine with where they went, I do think Kylo Ren achieved what Darth Vader couldn't do, and we could've seen how he handles power. I could see him rebuilding a similar fleet to what we saw in TROS and on the cusp of destroying the galaxy only to be turned and redeemed by Rey. When his commanders find out about this, they lose their minds and try to execute the order anyway. Then it's Kylo against his own fleet and commanders.

Oh. I just rewrote The Rise of Skywalker as The Rock.
And a major theme of the franchise is that redemption is possible for basically anyone. Han Solo was a slimeball drug runner, Finn was a Stormtrooper, Luke leaves his friends but gives his life for them in the end, the Jedi screwed up big time but Luke ultimately believes they can be rebuilt while avoiding their past sins. Especially the way Kylo Ren had conflict throughout the films, to have him irredeemable is antithetical to the nature of the series.

My biggest issue with the film was how it handled the Force and philosophy. I view all of these films through a religious lens and whereas The Last Jedi served as something of a Protestant Reformation that returns the Force to its more Eastern/Vedic roots, TROS reverts back to Catholicism with strict rules, rituals, and elitism (only priests may forgive sins vs. certain bloodlines are stronger). And when Luke explains (the way Yoda did) in TLJ that the Force isn't magic tricks you learn, but essentially an animist, Taoist "Brahman", this film seems to refute that in favor of videogame power-ups (though to be clear, I have no problem with Force healing, which makes total sense) in the vein of the prequels.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.